Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Kataja Olut Alström Bros
aaronh

4.58/5  rDev +40.1%

Cloudy, almost opaque orange body with no head. Dark bits of junk floating around in the beer. Aroma is very malty, but from a distance slightly piney notes can be discerned. Flavor is pretty sweet, with slightly roasted notes atop thick biscuit malt flavors. The maltiness is nearly like sampling wort. Just a slight bit of bitterness comes through, but it's not bitter like hops. Astringency may be a better term, but it balances out the malt really well and cleanses the plate somewhat. Almost like adding a slice of lemon to water. Mouthfeel is rich and luscious. This is really an enjoyable beer. It's a malt lover's dream. Drinkability is also great, because even though it's malty, it never gets cloyingly sweet due to the juniper. I was prepared to be turned off by this beer, but I'm really digging it. Might have to go buy a sixer and then try to make some myself! Highly recommended for those who appreciate malt and for those who want to experience different styles of beer. Don't bother if you're purely a hop-head.

03-22-2007 01:55:29 | More by aaronh
geexploitation

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours halfway clear-and-cloudy, with pretty much no head and very little carbonation. Color is medium amber with a bit of muddy brown and little in the way of highlights. Smell is very fruity and interesting -- compelling caramel malts, apple fruits, honey, and some fruity sharpness that I have to assume is from the traditional juniper berries. It reminds me of the aroma of an English old ale, actually. Mouthfeel is thick and still and very smooth with unfermented sugars. Flavor-wise, a bit watery first off, coupled with a sharp, herbal juniper taste, before thin caramel notes, licorice and apple come out midway in. Drier finish, with some acidic fruity elements sticking around the palate for a while. Overall, this is very interesting. It's the first sahti I've had, so I can't really comment on its relative merit, but I can say that I found it enjoyable over one glass.

03-04-2007 18:27:30 | More by geexploitation
DrJay

Murky dark orange colour with a bit of coarse foam. Not much lace, but what's there is fine and spotty. Very malty aroma with some brown sugar and bread crust notes. Also very light juniper berry fruitiness. Malty flavour, but not sickeningly sweet. Some breadiness, brown sugar, and caramel throughout. A bit earthy as well, and the juniper really comes out towards the end, giving it an herbal, medicinal quality and mild tartness that lingers. Slight warmth and dryness in the finish. Slick mouthfeel, full bodied, with very low carbonation. I found this quite easy to drink, which surprised me a bit. Tasty and out of the ordinary. Thanks go out to Wintermute for putting this in my shopping basket!

01-01-2007 00:02:25 | More by DrJay
jamie2dope

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

So i've heard a lot about this style, most notably that Otter Creek was brewing one, but since that wasn't available, I decided i'de get the real thing with this one. Cool looking red label, with a helmet on the front. Pours a nice pumpkin orange color with absolutely no head at all. Smell was very interesting...almost mead like with honey, floral characters, sweet candy sugar and alcohol. Taste was a bit duller ,with some lemon, and almost an English Ale like characteristic also. Mouthfeel was sort of flat and clunky. A bit more carbonation would have balanced things out somewhat I think. Not a bad beer to try, but I can't promise that I'll be picking it up again...maybe the Otter Creek offering.

12-15-2006 22:16:47 | More by jamie2dope
Damian

3.53/5  rDev +8%

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Charles Street Liquors, Boston, MA

Poured a translucent red iron oxide with tons of sediment floating. The beer looked very similar to apple cider. There was absolutely no head but some white bubbles which quickly disappeared.

The smell was sour and funky, with some apples noticeable (sour apples) akin to a lambic or a Flemish sour ale.

Taste was similar to smell. Quite acidic and tart with some fruitiness (sour apples and cherries), oakiness and a wild ale style funk. The sourness was present from start to finish yet it crescendoed as it moved along the palate. Some spices noticeable up front (but no juniper, as can be expected with this style). Star fruit was detectable on the rear of the palate. The beer tasted like a cross between a hard, dry cider and a Flemish sour ale. Absolutely no hop presence and no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was thin and flat (as expected). This beer would pair nicely with cheese and bread or possibly certain meats, yet alone it would be undrinkable.

The alcohol at 7% however was quite well hidden.

Sampling this beer was an interesting and unique experience but at $5 a bottle I do not think I would try it again.

12-10-2006 16:18:57 | More by Damian
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.28/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An absence of escaping gas on crown cracking is rarely a good thing, but then this is sure to be such a unique experience that I'm going to keep an open mind. The sahti is electric pumpkin orange with none of the expected turbidity. It doesn't seem right to call the thing temporarily perched atop the liquid a head. It's more a loose collection of brittle bubbles that is gone within minutes and leaves no glass coverage whatsoever. I won't mark it down too low though, since I'm not so sure that this isn't how it's supposed to look.

The nose is exceedingly underpowered, probably as a result of almost no aerosolization due to an almost complete lack of carbonation. It's a little musty, I suppose. I know what juniper berries smell like, but have no idea what juniper twigs smell like? In any case, there's nothing especially twig-like about the nose.

Kataja Olut is actually pretty interesting stuff and is good in a different sort of way. I can see how comparisons to lambics or wild ales would be entirely appropriate given the mildly funky sourness that greets my every sip. I'm also surprised by the sweetness. While it isn't overly sweet, I was expecting something dry and snappy for some reason.

This... beverage (I keep wanting to call it beer) is impressively herbal. In fact, it reminds me of a low-ABV, herb-infused liqueur; an impression aided by a full body and a light syrupiness on the back end. It isn't nearly as chock full of botanicals as Bombay Sapphire, but it reminds me of gin as well. Hey, maybe the juniper (twigs here, berries in gin) has something to do with that flavor impression.

I'm a little surprised that there's absolutely no hint of alcohol. With something less than a taste bud-busting amount of flavor, I would have thought that 7% would be noticeable, but it isn't. I've already mentioned the mouthfeel. It's closer to medium than to full. Oddly enough, I find that I don't mind the lack of bubbles one bit.

I'm glad that I gave Kataja Olut a chance, even if I have no desire to drink it again. I like exotic and different as much as the next BA, but a... beer-like beverage... has to be good in order to warrant a repeat purchase. Interesting only works the first time around.

11-02-2006 16:20:10 | More by BuckeyeNation
jdoolin

3.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to akorsak for the sample

Presentation: 33cL bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearanche: A dark copper/amber color, with no head and only faint carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet, malty, herbal and a hint of juniper

Taste and Mouthfeel: Slick, heavy mouthfeel. Not something you'd drink to quench thirst. Malt sweetness hits up front, with a moderate ale fruitiness, somewhat like an old ale. Spicy and herbal notes follow, while the hint of juniper comes out in the drier finish. Warm alcohol presence.

Notes: I went into this not knowing what to expect, but it turns out I like Sahti, at least this one. I found it to be quite pleasant, even without much carbonation. The aromas and flavors blended nicely and the alcohol content was nice and warming on a cool, fall day. I hope to run into this again some day.

10-31-2006 14:43:35 | More by jdoolin
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a reddish brown with a short-lasting fizzy head. Herbal and spice medicinal aroma Medium cherryish sticky medicine herbal like. Little carbonation. Mildly tarty and Sweetish residue aftertaste.Dry, warm, warming. In a word, cough medicine. A pint is too much.

10-23-2006 02:49:49 | More by Sammy
brentk56

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color with a modest head that, as expected, disappears quickly to a ringlet and leaves no lacing

Smell: Caramel malt and juniper berries - smells like a mixture of a Wee Heavy and gin; rather rich and wild

Taste: Very malty caramel flavors up front, almost leathery; after the swallow, the earthy juniper flavors start to kick in; slightly sour green apple finish

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with relatively low carbonation

Drinkability: Reading through the reviews here, I am struck by the variety of descriptions; I didn't get much of the lambic or geuze flavors at all and I suspect that may be because my beer was a fresher sample (somebody noted that Sahtis can turn quickly and, when they do, they become sour) than others have tasted; It's far from my favorite style but I did enjoy the opportunity to taste this ancient brew

08-13-2006 23:32:13 | More by brentk56
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.78/5  rDev -15%

First sahti I've ever tried. Maybe the last. Got this at Ebenezer's in Lovell, ME as part of my ongoing beer education. It was an amber color with virtually no head. It smelled like malty gin. Taste was sweet (fruit), juniper berries, a little malt. Not terribly exciting. I didn't want to try another, and I pretty much always want a second serving of a new (to me) beer.

08-09-2006 22:24:05 | More by lordofthewiens
oberon

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured a light copper/amber with no head to speak of looked flat to me,the aromas on the other hand have plenty of life very juicy and fruity with orange really sticking out with some "wet" grain underneath.Flat feeling in the mouth just not impressed in any way there,quite sweet the flat feel just makes it unineresting to even finish there is a little fruitiness to it but nothing can save it for me,I'll stay away from this in the future.

07-25-2006 00:46:52 | More by oberon
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.53/5  rDev -53.2%

Straight up pour has a bubbly white head that vanishes immediately leaving no lace. Murky brown amber color. No carbonation and medium bodied. Tart apple cider nose. Starts and finishes as sour apple cider, no noticeable hops or malt if this is what juniper does to beer I can skip it. Waaay overpriced at $4.95 for a 330ml bottle from Liquid Solutions Tigard, Or.

07-20-2006 22:42:21 | More by jdhilt
horndecker

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Strubby little squat bottle. Crude look to the label, but I like the antler helmet.

It's still. Quiet. Sans carbonation. I didn't expect that. Caramel colored, dusky and slick. Smells of citric rind, toffee, caramel, leather, malt syrup, and oranges. A sip is sweet, fruity, orange and melon, not the faintest hint of fizz, but big malt with an earthy background, metallic, with a quick finish, dry and seltzerish.

The aftertaste is tart, almost salty, vaguely smoky. The mouthfeel is slick and Snapple-ish, not very appealing.

Mighty interesting and not unpleasant, but not one I would come back to.

07-15-2006 02:04:29 | More by horndecker
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

Nice,somewhat hazy orange in color. Very low carbonation-it barely hissed when opened. Pretty hue though. Good aroma-very malty-some spiciness and a fruity/yeasty thing going on. Very interesting and pleasant caramel sweetness. Very nice spicy bitterness. Good body-has a slick,sugary swettness that lingers on the tongue. Very, very drinkable-if this is what a sahti tastes like I am all for it. Very interesting-quite barleywine/old ale like.

06-07-2006 01:36:55 | More by lackenhauser
blitheringidiot

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours as a clear cider amber orange hue with no head cap to speak of and zero carbonation rising. This looks like juice.

Light scents are prescent with an Earthy herbal front. Juniper is prescent with some light smoky aspects.

First swigs: A malt candy lolipop base. A sweet aspect creeps out that revolves around a narrow flavor of spiced malt sugar. This is like rock candy all the way! Some secondary aspects of maple syrup and Karo stumble around.

Smooth buttery feel with a delicate carbonation. Dry fast finish with a linger of malt sweetness. The 7% ABV totally surprised me.

Last swigs: First sahti I ever tried. Interesting. Worth a try to chalk up another style. Like a watered down root beer.

05-23-2006 01:20:33 | More by blitheringidiot
akorsak

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

I am drinking a 12 oz bottle, purchased at Wells Discount Liquors, of Lammin Kataja Olut, the only sahti-style beer that I've come across.

Appearance: The beer is an auburn orange-ish color. There is absolutely no head or hint of carbonation.

Smell: The beer has a honey and wid fruit aroma, with a hint of malty sweetness. The bittering character is interesting, as it is clearly not a hop smell.

Taste: The beer has a wild, piney taste, not quite to the extreme of, say, Alba, but there is definitely a pine-like flavor. The lack of carbonation is interesting.

Mouthfeel: The beer sits well on the palate. The juniper is an interesting flavor. While I clearly prefer hops, this is a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: The unique taste of the juniper limits the drinkability of the beer. Despite that, I like it, if only for the uniqueness of the beer.

04-27-2006 02:05:24 | More by akorsak
UnionMade

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Hazed copper, no head at all. I guess that's normal for the style? Sparse bubbles sitting at the bottom. Bready malt aroma, kinda like rye bread. Hints of paper bag and juniper (think gin). Almost like a stale english beer. Estery, pear-like booze comes through as it nears room temperature. The flavor starts sweet, caramelly and very doughy, with a distinct sugariness. Hints of sweetened english tea, cider, earth and sweet potato. Pear and banana really come through with warmth. Highly unusual. Rye bread and paper bag. Rides out sweet and earthy, caramelly, the juniper fairly mild. Very minimal carbonation, nearly still. Medium body. Finishes fairly dry, without a trace of alcohol. based on flavor, I would have guessed this to be in the 3-4% range. Interesting, but I don't think this will ever be my favorite style. Kinda reminds me of very old english beer that's been sitting on a warm shelf for years. Very much an antique, rural experience.

03-11-2006 06:51:23 | More by UnionMade
scruffwhor

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance- Pours a medicinal head. Like a few bubbles even after a very hard, head inducing pour. leaves no head or film after the pour, plus no lacing. Color was a mix of earthen clay and copper.

Smell- An intersting mix of odd juniper bitterness and sweetness with hints of lingonberries. Reminds me of a decent gin.

Taste- Reminds of teh fruitiest gin I've ever had. The lack of carbonation backs up the gin flavor. This is overall new territory in beer flavor and feeling. Something definetly unique to it's home country.

Mouthfeel- Very syrupy. Imagine having the palate of MGD mix a splash of juniper and lingonberry juice.

This beer was very interesting. Although my cup of tea, or beer in this case. I would drink it again, or if I come across a different brand to see if there is any noticeable difference in flavor.

02-26-2006 21:26:27 | More by scruffwhor
lungboy

An immediate hit of malt and rye as you smell it and then a juniper-licorice undertone joins it on your tongue, followed by a briney milkiness, finishing with a sweet, satisfying medium heaviness reminiscent of a dry porter. Even further out, your tongue is left tasting like you ate some black licorice, but ate a pretzel and drank a Belgian ale before-hand.

If you are like me and really like hops in the bitterness and the aroma of beer, this one may take a little time. I might have warmed up to it so easily because I grew up with the savory tones of rye and licorice in a lot of the stuff I ate.

I got this 12 oz. bottle at Sam's Liquors in Chicago. It wasn't refrigerated, but it wasn't sour in the least. I imagine this sahti was pastuerized or preserved in some way.

So, this is not exactly like the sahti my great grandmother brewed, but it sure reminds me of it. I was only 7 or so when I had it, so my memory will be skewed. She stopped brewing it when there weren't many to drink it, because it would go sour after a day or so. In lieu of sahti, she liked Old Style. She lived to be 93. She kicked some serious ass.

Grandma Salo's sahti was not as clear, and had a more substantial mouthfeel, and was not as sweet. She made her stuff in the U.P. of Michigan, so it wasn't a "Finnish" sahti.

So, to sum it up, if you can find this, buy a few bottles and try it a few times. If it's not sour, it's worth it.

(ps- she brewed a version with birch bark that she didn't ferment, and it seemed to take care of my allergies. Wild.)

02-04-2006 04:52:49 | More by lungboy
Gavage

3.53/5  rDev +8%

Picked up this bottle during a stop at Half Time in Poughkeepsie NY. Never had a sahti before.

Appearance: cloudy orange amber in color with no head, just a spot or two of foam. No carbonation bubbles seen at all.

Smell: a unique combo of earthiness and candy sweetness.

Taste: this beer comes off sweet, almost thick candy like with a ripe fruitiness. Almost no bitterness. There is a paper-like and yeasty flavor while swallowing giving the earthy tones.

Mouthfeel: very smooth. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not bad, as this is a very different style and you need to look at it from the definition of what a sahti is. I need to try some others (if I can find any) to compare to this.

01-04-2006 20:23:56 | More by Gavage
Frozensoul327

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

An exceptionally unique creation here. Pours out to a hazy tea orange color with no head. No carbonation whatsoever. Different. Aromas are of slight orange peel, rye bread and tea leaves. Goes rather well together. At this point I became genuinely interested. Taste is quite different than I expected, as when I read Juniper Bush on the label I nearly cringed. Smooth flavors of orange, dry malts, subtle sweetness mixed with sour and tea notes. Interesting. Mouthfeel was bland and smooth, but not watery. Had an almost "light oil" feel to it, if you will. Drinkability is ok; I could go for one of these every once in a while.

12-29-2005 02:04:05 | More by Frozensoul327
brewbacca

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

I was so drunk I can harldy remember, after consuming several chrismas beers and a bottle of 2001, Cantillon, lou pep, framboise at the toronado axisjones and myself proceeded to dive in to this beer and a bag of chips the size of a midget. ugh my head still hurts think about that.

It had this thick viscusy body with and orange hue, with a sweet aroma bit phenol and funk tones to it. I though some beer elf had switched The label on me, could of sworn it was a zatte from tj'i in holland, but there was this freaking wierd funk to it I guess that's what juniper tastes like. either way I was stoked to cross that beer of my styles drunken (no pup intended) list. if you see try it, but be where of the beer demons

12-13-2005 01:01:59 | More by brewbacca
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle of Sahti....Check
Open Mind...Check

First of all, I will plead ignorance on this simply because I have no idea how Sahtis should taste.

Appearance: So far not impressed. A glowing copper body with a hazy hue to it. The head was....wait there is no head! It looked like it had been open for 3 weeks and served to me in a basement bar in medieval england out of an old boot. There was a very faint ring around the top of the glass but poor at best.

Smell: The smell was not what I was expecting. I love gin, and couldn't wait to have a beer that was brewed with similar ingredients. The smell was more of a malty belgian aroma than juniper berries. To be honest, I couldn't detect any juniper presence.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very sweet from the start and full of body!!!! The thickness of the body is very nice and filling. The sweetness is not overpowering by any means. At first, I was not all that impressed, but it really grows on you. The only thing is that the lack of carbonation really hurts this beer. Although the full body offsets the lack of carbonation, it would have been a really great beer if there was more of a crisp sparkling bite.

Very interesting to say the least. Not the greatest beer in the world; although one of the rarest. Worth trying if you have the slim opportunity to get your hands on a bottle. Even though it isn't the best, I would love to have a fresh pint on this on tap in it's motherland!

10-10-2005 00:53:58 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
counselor

Connecticut

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

This beer poured a pretty clear brown hazel with no head - not even a ppssst upon removal of the cap. The aromas were slightly musty and clearly of the juniper (bush?), an aroma known from my days of drinking Gin.

The taste was rather bland, run of the mill, but for the juniper branches. Very little to offer in terms of malt, hops, or anything really to say - hhmmn this is good.

The mouthfeel was OK, but there wasn't anything I really enjoyed about this beer. -

07-27-2005 22:24:14 | More by counselor
GCBrewingCo

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The beer (can I call it that) poured into the chalice (unsure what glass to use as well) a hazy brownish golden with zero head. The bottle had a barely audible hiss when opened, but the carbonation level was almost none.

The aroma was earthy much like a farmhouse ale. Coupled with that earthy presence was a low caramel maltiness and a light almost Belgian yeast spice.

The flavor was sour, but not over the top with a light grain flavor and a low caramel flavor. The sourness was acidic in nature and worked well in the grand scheme of things, but the beverage was still one dimensional. Some slight fruit flavors were present, but no spice and hardly any grain other than the low caramel.

The finish was dry and slightly grainy, but only very slightly. A light sour impression lasted into the aftertaste. The body was medium and it was flat. Sahti kinda grows on you, but at $5 a pop, this one probably won't be revisited. It would be nice to try an example with some carbonation.

11.2 ounce bottle. Thanks MABZ!!!

07-21-2005 23:39:24 | More by GCBrewingCo