Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Kataja Olut Alström Bros
blitheringidiot

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours as a clear cider amber orange hue with no head cap to speak of and zero carbonation rising. This looks like juice.

Light scents are prescent with an Earthy herbal front. Juniper is prescent with some light smoky aspects.

First swigs: A malt candy lolipop base. A sweet aspect creeps out that revolves around a narrow flavor of spiced malt sugar. This is like rock candy all the way! Some secondary aspects of maple syrup and Karo stumble around.

Smooth buttery feel with a delicate carbonation. Dry fast finish with a linger of malt sweetness. The 7% ABV totally surprised me.

Last swigs: First sahti I ever tried. Interesting. Worth a try to chalk up another style. Like a watered down root beer.

05-23-2006 01:20:33 | More by blitheringidiot
akorsak

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

I am drinking a 12 oz bottle, purchased at Wells Discount Liquors, of Lammin Kataja Olut, the only sahti-style beer that I've come across.

Appearance: The beer is an auburn orange-ish color. There is absolutely no head or hint of carbonation.

Smell: The beer has a honey and wid fruit aroma, with a hint of malty sweetness. The bittering character is interesting, as it is clearly not a hop smell.

Taste: The beer has a wild, piney taste, not quite to the extreme of, say, Alba, but there is definitely a pine-like flavor. The lack of carbonation is interesting.

Mouthfeel: The beer sits well on the palate. The juniper is an interesting flavor. While I clearly prefer hops, this is a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: The unique taste of the juniper limits the drinkability of the beer. Despite that, I like it, if only for the uniqueness of the beer.

04-27-2006 02:05:24 | More by akorsak
UnionMade

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Hazed copper, no head at all. I guess that's normal for the style? Sparse bubbles sitting at the bottom. Bready malt aroma, kinda like rye bread. Hints of paper bag and juniper (think gin). Almost like a stale english beer. Estery, pear-like booze comes through as it nears room temperature. The flavor starts sweet, caramelly and very doughy, with a distinct sugariness. Hints of sweetened english tea, cider, earth and sweet potato. Pear and banana really come through with warmth. Highly unusual. Rye bread and paper bag. Rides out sweet and earthy, caramelly, the juniper fairly mild. Very minimal carbonation, nearly still. Medium body. Finishes fairly dry, without a trace of alcohol. based on flavor, I would have guessed this to be in the 3-4% range. Interesting, but I don't think this will ever be my favorite style. Kinda reminds me of very old english beer that's been sitting on a warm shelf for years. Very much an antique, rural experience.

03-11-2006 06:51:23 | More by UnionMade
scruffwhor

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance- Pours a medicinal head. Like a few bubbles even after a very hard, head inducing pour. leaves no head or film after the pour, plus no lacing. Color was a mix of earthen clay and copper.

Smell- An intersting mix of odd juniper bitterness and sweetness with hints of lingonberries. Reminds me of a decent gin.

Taste- Reminds of teh fruitiest gin I've ever had. The lack of carbonation backs up the gin flavor. This is overall new territory in beer flavor and feeling. Something definetly unique to it's home country.

Mouthfeel- Very syrupy. Imagine having the palate of MGD mix a splash of juniper and lingonberry juice.

This beer was very interesting. Although my cup of tea, or beer in this case. I would drink it again, or if I come across a different brand to see if there is any noticeable difference in flavor.

02-26-2006 21:26:27 | More by scruffwhor
lungboy

An immediate hit of malt and rye as you smell it and then a juniper-licorice undertone joins it on your tongue, followed by a briney milkiness, finishing with a sweet, satisfying medium heaviness reminiscent of a dry porter. Even further out, your tongue is left tasting like you ate some black licorice, but ate a pretzel and drank a Belgian ale before-hand.

If you are like me and really like hops in the bitterness and the aroma of beer, this one may take a little time. I might have warmed up to it so easily because I grew up with the savory tones of rye and licorice in a lot of the stuff I ate.

I got this 12 oz. bottle at Sam's Liquors in Chicago. It wasn't refrigerated, but it wasn't sour in the least. I imagine this sahti was pastuerized or preserved in some way.

So, this is not exactly like the sahti my great grandmother brewed, but it sure reminds me of it. I was only 7 or so when I had it, so my memory will be skewed. She stopped brewing it when there weren't many to drink it, because it would go sour after a day or so. In lieu of sahti, she liked Old Style. She lived to be 93. She kicked some serious ass.

Grandma Salo's sahti was not as clear, and had a more substantial mouthfeel, and was not as sweet. She made her stuff in the U.P. of Michigan, so it wasn't a "Finnish" sahti.

So, to sum it up, if you can find this, buy a few bottles and try it a few times. If it's not sour, it's worth it.

(ps- she brewed a version with birch bark that she didn't ferment, and it seemed to take care of my allergies. Wild.)

02-04-2006 04:52:49 | More by lungboy
Gavage

3.53/5  rDev +8%

Picked up this bottle during a stop at Half Time in Poughkeepsie NY. Never had a sahti before.

Appearance: cloudy orange amber in color with no head, just a spot or two of foam. No carbonation bubbles seen at all.

Smell: a unique combo of earthiness and candy sweetness.

Taste: this beer comes off sweet, almost thick candy like with a ripe fruitiness. Almost no bitterness. There is a paper-like and yeasty flavor while swallowing giving the earthy tones.

Mouthfeel: very smooth. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not bad, as this is a very different style and you need to look at it from the definition of what a sahti is. I need to try some others (if I can find any) to compare to this.

01-04-2006 20:23:56 | More by Gavage
Frozensoul327

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

An exceptionally unique creation here. Pours out to a hazy tea orange color with no head. No carbonation whatsoever. Different. Aromas are of slight orange peel, rye bread and tea leaves. Goes rather well together. At this point I became genuinely interested. Taste is quite different than I expected, as when I read Juniper Bush on the label I nearly cringed. Smooth flavors of orange, dry malts, subtle sweetness mixed with sour and tea notes. Interesting. Mouthfeel was bland and smooth, but not watery. Had an almost "light oil" feel to it, if you will. Drinkability is ok; I could go for one of these every once in a while.

12-29-2005 02:04:05 | More by Frozensoul327
brewbacca

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

I was so drunk I can harldy remember, after consuming several chrismas beers and a bottle of 2001, Cantillon, lou pep, framboise at the toronado axisjones and myself proceeded to dive in to this beer and a bag of chips the size of a midget. ugh my head still hurts think about that.

It had this thick viscusy body with and orange hue, with a sweet aroma bit phenol and funk tones to it. I though some beer elf had switched The label on me, could of sworn it was a zatte from tj'i in holland, but there was this freaking wierd funk to it I guess that's what juniper tastes like. either way I was stoked to cross that beer of my styles drunken (no pup intended) list. if you see try it, but be where of the beer demons

12-13-2005 01:01:59 | More by brewbacca
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottle of Sahti....Check
Open Mind...Check

First of all, I will plead ignorance on this simply because I have no idea how Sahtis should taste.

Appearance: So far not impressed. A glowing copper body with a hazy hue to it. The head was....wait there is no head! It looked like it had been open for 3 weeks and served to me in a basement bar in medieval england out of an old boot. There was a very faint ring around the top of the glass but poor at best.

Smell: The smell was not what I was expecting. I love gin, and couldn't wait to have a beer that was brewed with similar ingredients. The smell was more of a malty belgian aroma than juniper berries. To be honest, I couldn't detect any juniper presence.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very sweet from the start and full of body!!!! The thickness of the body is very nice and filling. The sweetness is not overpowering by any means. At first, I was not all that impressed, but it really grows on you. The only thing is that the lack of carbonation really hurts this beer. Although the full body offsets the lack of carbonation, it would have been a really great beer if there was more of a crisp sparkling bite.

Very interesting to say the least. Not the greatest beer in the world; although one of the rarest. Worth trying if you have the slim opportunity to get your hands on a bottle. Even though it isn't the best, I would love to have a fresh pint on this on tap in it's motherland!

10-10-2005 00:53:58 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
counselor

Connecticut

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

This beer poured a pretty clear brown hazel with no head - not even a ppssst upon removal of the cap. The aromas were slightly musty and clearly of the juniper (bush?), an aroma known from my days of drinking Gin.

The taste was rather bland, run of the mill, but for the juniper branches. Very little to offer in terms of malt, hops, or anything really to say - hhmmn this is good.

The mouthfeel was OK, but there wasn't anything I really enjoyed about this beer. -

07-27-2005 22:24:14 | More by counselor
GCBrewingCo

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

The beer (can I call it that) poured into the chalice (unsure what glass to use as well) a hazy brownish golden with zero head. The bottle had a barely audible hiss when opened, but the carbonation level was almost none.

The aroma was earthy much like a farmhouse ale. Coupled with that earthy presence was a low caramel maltiness and a light almost Belgian yeast spice.

The flavor was sour, but not over the top with a light grain flavor and a low caramel flavor. The sourness was acidic in nature and worked well in the grand scheme of things, but the beverage was still one dimensional. Some slight fruit flavors were present, but no spice and hardly any grain other than the low caramel.

The finish was dry and slightly grainy, but only very slightly. A light sour impression lasted into the aftertaste. The body was medium and it was flat. Sahti kinda grows on you, but at $5 a pop, this one probably won't be revisited. It would be nice to try an example with some carbonation.

11.2 ounce bottle. Thanks MABZ!!!

07-21-2005 23:39:24 | More by GCBrewingCo
NeroFiddled

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

Lammin's Kataja Olut is malty sweet and tart with clear notes of juniper, but not too much.

It pours a golden amber with very little head (which is expected for the style). In the nose it's delicately fruity, with notes that are hard to define (tart berry, citrus), and a bit earthy/musty. It's medium-full bodied, dextrinous, and quite smooth across the palate with a very mild caress on the tongue. The maltiness is sweet and somewhat caramelish; off-set by some hard to describe juniper branch flavors (spruce tips?, musty leather) and delicate fruitiness (tart red berries, lemon). There's no noticeable bitterness, but it's tart edge balances it well enough.

Since Sahti is a live product, it will change quickly. Fresh examples are sweet and not tart at all, but bottles that have been around for a while can become quite sour. This is a very good example of the style.

06-22-2005 11:11:04 | More by NeroFiddled
twilight

Germany

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Kudos for having such a cute stubby bottle. With a bright red bottlecap to match the label, no less.

Pours a light ruby into my tulip with absolutely no head. A little bit of bubbles towards the end to indicate that it is carbonated. But barely.

The aroma smells like some of my favorite diacetyl beers without the nutiness. A bit of sour fruit, earthiness.

Yum. Diacetyl rush with a light crisp fruity trip into a sour berry end. Not enough to pucker, but enough to leave this earthy lingering taste on the palate that seems to coat it entirely. I don't know if it is actually supposed to taste like this, nor have I had other sahti to compare, but it tastes pretty good for an almost flat beer.

The mouthfeel is odd. While it isn't entirely flat, it's much more lightly carbonated than I'm used to. And it somehow manages to coat the tongue. Hmmm, who would have thought about body from such a clear beer. And while it is a pretty good beer, the price is too prohibitive to make this a habit. 5 clams for the bottle. Ouch!

05-25-2005 00:16:03 | More by twilight
Mitchster

1.38/5  rDev -57.8%

Barely releases any pssht with the popping of the cap. Carbonation is non-existant. Pours out to a slightly hazy dark caramel, unable to form a head with no lacing. The aroma is predominately of malt with an emphasis on caramel, butterscotch, and sickly toffee. Mouthfeel is sickly syrupy and flat with a medium-dense body, leaving a gross coating in the mouth. The taste is sweet and malty, but not in a good way...more of an "August Schell" or "Berghoff" way. Diacetyl is predominant. No real bitterness to speak of. Kinda doughy and metallic. Other reviews mention sourness and juniper. I get none of either.

Well, pretty boring to me. I have no interest in ever drinking this again. It tastes like an English IPA without the hops. Hard to finish. No redeeming qualities. A complete waste of $4.49.

05-15-2005 20:45:39 | More by Mitchster
OatherS

Kansas

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

Short 330 mL bottle with red label and a viking style helmet on the front.

Appearance: Poured a light amber color, somewhat remenescent of fruit tea which would will be a recurring theme in this review. Absolutely NO head at all.

Smell: Not a very strong smell, but somewhat of a fuit odor.

Taste: What first struck me about this beer is the flatness. Perhaps this was just this bottle, but there was absolutely no foam or carbonation to speak of. The flavor reminded me of weak fruit tea.

Moutfeel: No carbonation, flat mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Definitely not worth the money I spent on the bottle, around $5 if I remember right. The beer was OK overall but not something I will seek out againl.

04-17-2005 19:57:04 | More by OatherS
pentathlete

2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

Had a bottle at CAH...$9.75...ouch.
Poured into a tumbler. No head. Cloudy brown. Smell was weak. I was expecting a little juniper hit in the nose, but nothing was present. Taste was pleasingly sweet, but with the lack of any juniper bite. It's as if they brewed this for export thinking that non-Finns wouldn't be able to handle anything over-the-top or complex. Damn marketing firm. Mouthfeel was dominated by the sweetness with some surprising carbonation (because bubbles were tough to spot.) Of course, if you like somewhat sweet beers this is an easy to imbibe. Fell way short of expectations and certainly not worth the premium price that I paid for it. Had to order a draft Goudenband to recover my taste buds.

04-08-2005 11:50:46 | More by pentathlete
Citadel82

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Wow what a disappointment. I was expecting the Juniper to jump out and kick my taste buds in the ...

Did not happen, what I did get was a sour tasting, somewhat malty brew with little carbonation and no real head to speak of. Was it awful? No. Was it a unique taste experience? Hardly. Too bland and characterless. I would have preferred a lambic or gueze to this one, Again, not bad but nothing worth seking out.

03-27-2005 01:19:46 | More by Citadel82
yoko

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev +8%

Came to me hightly recommended - "the ale brewed with juniper branches". It is my first sahti and surely not my last.

The Olut poured with no head and left a thin rim of white-crisp bubbles, a pale swirl on the surface, and a sticky lace. The color was that of a thick, rich cider. Notably, there was a continuous up flow of very tiny carbonation power houses. The nose was so subtle and difficult to place - tart, slightly sweet with a soft juniper finish. The crisp base tone tartness met with a strong carbonation which rose up the tongue's underside then carried the bass and mid tones high up in the palate and finished by sweeping it crisp and clean.

This was a different and interesting brew. I find it curious that my sample bottle was characterized by such a big carbonation when other reviewers longed for such. I was pleased with this refreshing selection.

03-13-2005 17:39:40 | More by yoko
BeerResearcher

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

11.2oz dark brown bottle. No freshness date.
It's difficult to compare the looks of a non-filtered Sahti to any typical farmhouse ale, so that said, it's hard to grade it poorly in comparison.
It pours a hazy orange-hued dull amber color with a minimal bubbly beige head that leaves thin sliding lace in its wake.
It smells somewhat like fresh cut birch, with a faint smell wet hay and distant smoked meat.
The thin malt body is sharp-edged and a bit harsh, but it provides an interesting backbone for the bitterness of the woody tasting juniper branch. A light lemony tartness lasts throughout, as does a Gueze-like apple cider vinegar taste. The 7.0% abv is well disguised.
This fragile brew has a short shelf life, so be sure to get it as fresh as possible

03-12-2005 15:51:46 | More by BeerResearcher
mentor

Colorado

11.2 oz bottle obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) in Feb 2005 and consumed a couple evenings later. No freshness date, which is a concern because Sahti is suppose to be served fresh (well, that's what the BA article says). Hard poured to get almost a thin layer of white head over a cloudy apple cider colored liquid. Smells piney with mild cherry sour, raspberry, and rhubarb. Tastes sour with notable piney flavors at first. Fruity flavors appear momentarily including apples (like hard cider), raspberry, and strawberries. It's quite dry, which makes it a bit difficult for me to pick out additional fruits, although there clearly are more than I listed above. The end, during the swallow has a chalky kind of bark flavor that persists well into the aftertaste, which also includes tart grapefruit. This is sour, but not as sour at the Lammin Sahti I had a couple nights ago. It also doesn't have as much depth in scent and flavor. Carbonation is very mild and, with it's counterpart, it does share a late burst of of fine bubbles that form on the flat of my tongue and tear it apart with an acrid ummph. Overall, it leaves me with an impression of a dry and barky hard cider. Medium mouthfeel. Fairly drinkable, I could certainly handle another (which I couldn't of the Lammin Sahti the other night). I highly recommend trying this bevereage one evening in preparation for the Lammin Sahti the next evening. This was a challenging beverage. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it and would eagerly have another in the future.

03-07-2005 05:43:42 | More by mentor
bditty187

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

Open mind. Pour.

Moderately hazy, coppery-gold in hue with a peachy highlight; the color is quite attractive. There wasn’t any animation and the head didn’t form properly (in the sense the head didn’t form like beers typically do, maybe this is appropriate for a Sahti?). There was a tight cap of bubbles that formed a collar around the edge of the class. No subsequent lacing. There is something unique about the appearance. I’m interested. The nose is sharp and very raw; dare I say it is lambic-like. Upfront is a blast of menthol herbalness, like organic Vic’s Vapor Rub, odd yet interesting. There is acidity like a Gueuze. The juniper is most noticeable. Brine. There are lightly musty too. Vinegar. Orange yogurt. JuicyFruit candy. I am surprised at the raw complexity in this beer; I kept on smelling it only to detect more aromas. The potency is moderate but it is plenty articulate, I will not lie, I’m not sure what this beer is saying. It is more intriguing than inviting. It is drinking time. If you like Gueuze seek this beer out. I am very impressed with the palate. It is tart and puckering, the acidity is refreshing and energizing. There is a very unique taste, like orange and berry yogurt upfront. In the middle I found some piney qualities, they are dissimilar to the piney taste of hops, this is completely different. Herbal. Raw. Woody. Leather. Lemon zest. It is even weakly nutty. Tart at the finish, dry with a slight bit of alcohol warmth and some bready/nutty characteristics. The juniper is heavy in the finish, it lingers into the aftertaste, that JuicyFruit sensation reemerges. The aftertaste is long and fairly sweet with a nutty twang. The alcohol is hidden in the palate but it does hit the brain and stomach, my belly warmed quickly (the acidity might have something to do with that too). This beer is a funky son of a bitch and you know what? I really like it! Hell yeah! I had no idea what to expect but I am quite impressed. Medium in body, the carbonation is low but at no point does that negate any aspect of the mouthfeel, if fact the mouthfeel seems very sturdy. Nice! I’d say this beer would be great with funky blue cheese. This beer has that oddly compelling vibe to it, it is like Gose in that sense. The palate is wacky yet so damn refreshing and agreeable. I would not recommend this beer to anybody but a hardcore beer nerd and mostly likely somebody who really digs Belgian funk/acidity. Who knew Finland rocked like this! I will have to buy more the next time I see this beer. I purchased this bottle in Iowa City, IA.

I am now a Sahti fan.

02-24-2005 03:17:13 | More by bditty187
Jason

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown stubby with no freshness date, says on the label “Ale brewed with natural flavor (Juniper Branches)”.

Appearance: Very little carbonation, not much of a lace at all. Clear copper color, the beer was poured with care to leave the sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Musty lemons, faint hard-boiled egg and a steely aroma. Canned mandarin oranges?

Taste & Mouth Feel: Wow … canned mandarin oranges on the palate. Carbonation is next to nothing with a moderate body. Pretty damn tart from the get go, mildly lambic-like. Walnut skins. Musty … nearly chalky with a drying tartness, lemony with a sharpness of the juniper riding it back.

Drinkability & Notes: Weird … I sort of like the flavor, it has grown on me after several sips. If the carbonation had a nice sharp spike of crispness to it I’d probably love it.

02-14-2005 02:35:43 | More by Jason
cokes

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%

I'm told that this is a variation on their regular Sahti (and that term is clearly printed on the label). No more information is available on their website, as this isn't even listed there.

Pours a murk-laden toasted golden with an intial eggy bubble or two. All carbonation is gone after a few moments.
Ripe with raspberry yogurt, lemon juice, and brine-cured cheese on the nose. A backing caramel-nut bread provides foundation.
Begins doughy, but is immediately slashed with a pink lemonade sweettartness. A bit nutty at the turn, then ceded wholly to lemon, but more tea-like now. Juniper branches lends a rotting berry sourness. Traces of cilantro leafiness. It rides out like a piece of leather cured in oak, pickling brine and lemon-juice-spiked tea. Medium bodied, feeling brawnier with it's lack of carbonation.
My only reference point would be to compare this to an Oud Bruin/Witbier cross.
I wasn't sure what to expect, and I'm not sure what I actually got.
Subjectively, it is certainly interesting, but objectively nearly impossible to score due to lack of experience.

01-10-2005 08:15:45 | More by cokes