Huebert's Old Tyme Lager - Huebert Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Huebert Brewing Company visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: EagleTalon on 10-19-2004)
Reviews by kmpitz2:
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.33/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz bottle. The brew pours a light golden color with a 2 finger clean white head that falls slowly. The clarity is excellent and there is a solid carbonation boiling up. The aroma is light honey sweet from pilsner malt, with a mild but present spicy hop from the hop. It is mild, but hits what I want to see in a nice delicate beer. The flavor is interesting. It hits with a muted grainyness and huskyness with a light sweetness, finishing with a very mild spicy hop. I am not too sure about the huskyness that comes through. Mouthfeel is moderate with a light carbonation. I would like to have a little more bubble in there. Overall, this one is a nice example of the style. There are small issues that could make it better, but I am happy to have tried it.

10-03-2007 00:14:15 | More by kmpitz2
russpowell

2.42/5  rDev -12.6%

Picked this up as a single with low expectations, purchased a part of a mixed sixer

Pours an effervescent & semi-hazed honey color with a finger of pearl colored head. Zero head retention & lacing

S: Sweet cereal & vegtal smells

T: Follows the nose, a touch of diacehytl & grainyness, reminds of a bowl of wheaties. Apple peel diacechyhtl as this warms. Finishes dry fruitty & with a bit of grassy hops

MF: Medium bodied with low carboantion & grainyness

Drinks slow, may be old, but since there is no freshness dating I can't say for sure. Not the most horried beer I've ever had, but nothing to brag about either. The worst beer I've had from Oklahoma, not that we're any where near Cali or Oregon...

05-03-2010 02:23:49 | More by russpowell
bditty187

Nebraska

2.1/5  rDev -24.2%

I thought maybe my bottle was bad. Then I thought maybe my bottle was too old. I wasn’t even going to submit my notes then I read the reviews for this beer on BA and RB. It would seem what I drank is typical for this bizarre Adjunct Lager. Here goes nothing…

Hazy, tawny-amber in hue with a brassy influence; I wasn’t expecting the liquid to be hazy or colorful. Nice… I guess? Why does an Adjunct Lager look like this? The head was white in color but it bubbled and acted like a cola. Odd. The foam reached a finger in height and then faded quickly to a think collar before leaving completely. Dull after a few moments. There was no subsequent lacing. I guess the appearance is okay, average in a peculiar way. The nose offers a sharp fruity note, hints of apples with a kiss of malt in the background. No hops. Hell I couldn’t detect anything to make me say it is an Adjunct Lager (i.e., no corn, no rice, no wheat, etc). Is this really a Lager? The potency is modest, what is it saying though? Not much. It is not inviting, at best it is indifferent but it is closer to offensive. The palate is equally sharp; upfront is a smack of apples, light fruity notes too. Hops don’t offer anything of note; still the sweetness is moderate. The malt is found at the back, weak suggestions of caramel. Clean. Empty. Is this really a Lager? No aftertaste aside from some acidity. There isn’t much going on with this beer. The flavor profile is lousy. Offensive. Medium-light in body, fizzy carbonation helps produce a mouthfeel that is unnatural. Yuck. This beer is not drinkable, not by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe this bottle is too old. Maybe it is a bad bottle. Maybe this beer just sucks. Maybe it is some combination of all three. I’d try this beer again as I’m curious if it could be better. I’m equally curious to see if this is really what the brewer intended. Thanks Bdc for the bottle.

01-05-2005 18:46:38 | More by bditty187
EagleTalon

3.55/5  rDev +28.2%

Update: according to the brewer, this beer should be classified as a Vienna Lager, not an adjunct lager. I have been informed that the beer contains no fillers such as corn or rice.

The first offer from a new micro in Oklahoma City. I don't have much information from the brewery. Pours to a slightly hazy orange color and fizzy head that fades to almost nothing. Aroma is malty and cidery. Flavor is dominated by pale and crystal malt mixed with a pronounced dry apple cider aftertaste. Finishes tart and rather refreshing. The sad thing about this brew is most people would say it is flawed because of the cidery character. In my opinion, aside from the dismal appearance, it was a positive experience. It is also "OK+ " -- due to the change in state law, Oklahoma brewers can now brew "strong beer" (that is, in excess of 4% abv). I look forward to the next recipe from Huebert.

04-17-2005 21:17:15 | More by EagleTalon
hiikeeba

3.33/5  rDev +20.2%

A - Pours up crystal clear golden yellow with a moderately thick head. Lots of carbonation.

S - Smells grapefruity/citrusy. Some malt sweetness.

T - Starts of malty sweet with metallic and citrus notes. Finishes slightly sour.

M - Slightly thin, with lots of carbonation to offset.

D - Not necessarily a "Go To" beer. Not bad, but I think I would pick something different next time.

06-24-2008 19:39:42 | More by hiikeeba
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours hazy dark gold with a thin white head that is pretty quickly killed by the fast carbonation.

The smell is of sweet carmelized grain. Some lemon.

The taste is of caramelish graininess and citrus, esp. lemon. Some (stale?) breadiness and sour notes in the back. Not a "bad" taste, but something lifeless about it. The carbonation changes from heavy to almost non-existent about half-way down. Needs some consistent middle-road there. Don't know if the flavors mesh as well as they could/should. Sweet with a crisp enough finish.

A bit watery, but it doesn't fall apart.

Fairly drinkable despite all of that. Like another reviewer noted, it fits in with Vienna Lager much more than Macro.

Thanks to beertracker for the opportunity to have it.

05-30-2007 19:44:18 | More by jwc215
jmbranum

3.4/5  rDev +22.7%

Big head that quickly goes away. Strangely hazy for a lager.

Nice slightly citrus aroma and flavor. Honestly tastes more like a light heffeweizen than a lager.

Very carbonated. The aftertaste is on the sour side.

To me this beer seems kinda disorganized. The flavors, while interesting, don't quite work together well for me.

11-24-2006 18:44:18 | More by jmbranum
Wasatch

Utah

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Thanks goes out to Beertracker for this one.

Pours a hazy golden pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little foamy head, some sticky lacing follows. The nose is quite different for a lager, malts, hops, lemon, cinnimon, and some caramel. The taste is slightly sweet/tangy, malty, hoppy, some lemon/citrus, cinnimon, and caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a tasty different lager, I like it.

11-13-2007 01:54:32 | More by Wasatch
stephens101

2.25/5  rDev -18.8%

Saw this on the shelf today and figured since it's a local brewery I should give it a try. Honestly, it doesn't look to promising. Can't hurt to try though. Paper thin head with a few bubbled. Dark, somewhat murky yellow in color. Smells of big malty sweetness and that's all I can discern, except for perhaps an underlying frutiness. Thin, slightly fruity and malty in the mouth. Taste those adjuncts. Not deplorable, as much as it's completely innocuous.

06-06-2009 18:01:55 | More by stephens101
skeetermoses

1.4/5  rDev -49.5%

This was possibly one of the worst beers I have ever tried. Being from OKC I was pleased to see a local brew I had never tried. The taste reminded me of a dishwashing liquid soap residue mixed with a sub-average beer. An Extremely bitter beer that leaves an unpleasant after taste in your mouth. The only other beer that I could compare it to would be Independence Ale.

10-20-2007 05:31:42 | More by skeetermoses
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Moderately cloudy butterscotch capped with a small, tight-bubbled head that doesn't last all that long. Almost no lace. Olde Tyme doesn't look like any macro lager that I've ever seen. It doesn't smell like one either. I'm guessing that this is a 'noble hop-free zone' since there isn't a hint of their pungent, floral aroma anywhere. The nose is a semi-pleasant melange of very lightly toasted pale malt, orchard fruit, lemon peel and earthy, almost perfumy, hops. Interesting and different.

Ditto on the palate. A bit more malt would be nice, even taking style into consideration. The flavor seems to be all top notes with a meager 'bass line' for support. As in the nose, there are elements of sour fruit (unripe pears) and mild citrus. Sour apple burps have just appeared on the scene.

This is one of the tartest, mouth-squinchingest lagers that I've ever had. It manages to avoid unpleasantness, but will definitely not be everyone's cup of tea. The body is light, verging on watery, and the abundant carbonation settles down considerably by mid-glass and is manageable in the end.

Huebert's Old Tyme Lager is a strange brew. It's different from any macro lager I've ever had and it just might be one of the best of that admittedly sorry category. That's not to say that it's great beer, but if the brewers set out to stake their claim on uncharted waters for the style, then they've succeeded admirably.

10-19-2004 14:29:58 | More by BuckeyeNation
feloniousmonk

1.65/5  rDev -40.4%

Cloudy, nay, gunky dark yellow amber cast...big head, fluffy white with an odd assortment of brown flecks.

Aroma: citrusy, but lean.

Taste: old-tymey!
No, seriously, odd, too citric, overly spicey, ...tastes infected...just not right.
Unpleasant.
gonna dump it, rather than punish my tongue any longer.

04-06-2006 02:28:01 | More by feloniousmonk