Rampage Imperial IPA - Black Diamond Brewing Co.

Rampage Imperial IPARampage Imperial IPA

good

Black Diamond Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: berkey on 04-14-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rampage Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Pugs78

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

05-10-2012 14:22:57 | More by seeswo
AgentMunky

2.48/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured from an atypically-shaped 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass.

A: Clear golden-amber with two fingers of thick, fluffy white head. Nice looking IPA.

S: Cabbage. Stewed cabbage and...relish? This smells more like a Polish sausage than a beer.

T: Thank the beer gods it doesn't taste quite as repellent as it smells...but those odd vegetable elements are undeniably present, especially on the aftertaste. Ugh. Happily, the maintaste is full of citrusy hops, though I suspect the varietals used contribute to the odd flavors in the nose and endtaste.

M: Big and full, the way a DIPA should be. Maybe the only good thing about this trainwreck.

O: I'm not sure what is up with this beer, but it's actually undrinkable...from the glass. Swigging from the bottle, where I can't smell a thing, I find it palatable, if not pleasant. I would never recommend this beer and feel duped for buying it based on labeling and wording.

05-09-2012 06:59:04 | More by AgentMunky

tizride

04-27-2012 04:35:48 | More by tizride
JesteR14

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

A- looks great. Just how you want an ipa to be. I can tell this is going to be good carbonation just by the way it pours. Constant bubble.

S- it's def smells good to my taste. Lemon, grapefruit with some bread and malt. But nothing super impressive, and after reading the label I guess I expected more an I got. That is the only complaint tho

T- good powerful taste. Lemon pine and grapefruit coming in strong like it should. The biscuity malt taste comes in and adds a great profile to this beer. Nothing lingering that you don't like. And some people talk about it being too bitter. I think it's balanced great, strong but makes you want to come back and sip some more.

M - lots of bubbles and stayes nice and perked up the entire time I sipped on the pint

04-25-2012 07:20:59 | More by JesteR14
dannydetox

3.88/5  rDev +1%

my first experience with Black Diamond brewing. this one came highly recommended, so the expectations were high. poured a pleasing copper/amber tone into my pint glass with a small, off white head. not too much carbonation on this one, but it felt right. i thoroughly enjoyed the tropical fruit aromas that hit me first, followed by some pine and biscuity malt. the malt notes dominated as the beer went down the hatch, but i did get some more mango/guava. decent bitterness on the finish. i do taste the 9% alcohol on this one, but it still pretty easy going for an imperial. rampage did not disappoint, but i have had stronger examples of this style.

04-14-2012 04:19:30 | More by dannydetox

04-06-2012 22:10:40 | More by emilylee
StoneTSR

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks a ton to my guy ren for this one. Yet again he comes through with deliciousness.

APPEARANCE: Pours a nice, DIPA orange. Crystal clear with a stark white, half-inch head that slowly dissipates. A few bubbles slowly float northwards from the bottom of the glass.

SMELL: The Rampage has a very hoppy aroma. There is not as much malt in the nose as most DIPAs, the smell here is all hops. Lemon and grapefruit are dominant.

TASTE: A ton of grapefruit with lemon and orange to round out a nice citrus profile. Unlike the nose, however, a solid dose of malt balances it out as well. The taste actually reminds me a bit of Stone’s Double Dry Hopped Ruination, but with more malt and sweetness.

MOUTHFEEL: The Rampage Imperial IPA goes down smooth and easy, but a touch of sparkle helps to cleanse the palate on the way down. This is a big, bold beer.

OVERALL: I’m pretty impressed. Ren seems to have the same taste in big IPAs as I do, so given that he sent it, I assumed I would like it, but the reviews seem to be mixed so I wasn’t quite so sure. I like it a lot when I’m in California next I’ll be sure to pick another one up.

04-05-2012 09:38:39 | More by StoneTSR

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

03-19-2012 02:48:41 | More by jrohrbacher
Drinkerofales

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Pour is lightly cloudy orange gold, with a huge off white head which quickly dissipated to a ring and leaves some lacing.

I can smell the grapefruit and apricot citrus from a foot away as I prepare this review. As I close in however, I don't get much else. Clean aroma.

Taste starts out with big bitter pith until the middle, where a citrus flesh finish ends the taste.

The beer bites the front of my tongue as I drink this. The medium body has a touch of viscosity, and it's not the easiest to drink beer.

The grapefruit notes are huge with this beer, to the point of making it not easy to drink, but that doesn't make it bad, as I really liked this beer, but I wouldn't want more than one. At 5 bucks for a bomber I don't have much to complain about though, so the price makes it even better.

DOA

Hendral

03-04-2012 21:38:51 | More by Hendral
mbunje

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

The name is not great..."Rampage", but the beer is.

The smell is of fresh, pungent, bitter hops. Grapefruit, orange, lemon.

Wow...tongue buckles a bit, the lemony fruit bitterness hits hard. Then it backs off with a dry bread like malt and finishes clean.

Medium to full bodied. Excellent carbonation.

Overall this nails IIPA style. Well done Black Diamond.

03-03-2012 04:59:48 | More by mbunje
Rampage Imperial IPA from Black Diamond Brewing Co.