Rampage Imperial IPA - Black Diamond Brewing Co.

Rampage Imperial IPARampage Imperial IPA

good

Black Diamond Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: berkey on 04-14-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rampage Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 368 | Reviews: 126
4.69/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is underrated at 88. It's a similar taste to Surly Abrasive, only slightly lacking in aromatics. Citrus meets piney in this delicious beer.

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

The name is not great..."Rampage", but the beer is.

The smell is of fresh, pungent, bitter hops. Grapefruit, orange, lemon.

Wow...tongue buckles a bit, the lemony fruit bitterness hits hard. Then it backs off with a dry bread like malt and finishes clean.

Medium to full bodied. Excellent carbonation.

Overall this nails IIPA style. Well done Black Diamond.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy orange-amber color, and cleared up a bit as the beer's temperature rose. Sweet lemon and grapefruit citrus aromas. Brutally bitter hops on the palate, marked by mouth-watering pine and grapefruit flavors, followed by a slightly floral finish. The malty sweetness hinted at in the nose did not materialize on the palate, or perhaps was just overwhelmed by the hops. The alcohol is well-masked, and this is pleasing to drink, with a pleasantly viscous mouth feel. It was not difficult to finish a 22 ounce bottle in a single sitting.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - burnt orange, murky at pour but clears over time, thick white head, great lacing

S - floral, citrus, grapefruit, caramel, some pine and mint

T - sweet, citrus - more orange than grapefruit, some bitterness in the finish

M - hefty without getting syrupy

O - very pleasant and easy to drink, nice beer but it does not inspire me to buy more - for such a big alcoholic beer the taste is quite subdued

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%

A- looks great. Just how you want an ipa to be. I can tell this is going to be good carbonation just by the way it pours. Constant bubble.

S- it's def smells good to my taste. Lemon, grapefruit with some bread and malt. But nothing super impressive, and after reading the label I guess I expected more an I got. That is the only complaint tho

T- good powerful taste. Lemon pine and grapefruit coming in strong like it should. The biscuity malt taste comes in and adds a great profile to this beer. Nothing lingering that you don't like. And some people talk about it being too bitter. I think it's balanced great, strong but makes you want to come back and sip some more.

M - lots of bubbles and stayes nice and perked up the entire time I sipped on the pint

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Enjoyed this one very much

3.84/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial glass.

Pours a cloudy copperish brown cloor with a white head.

First smell is of grassy or pine like hops.

Taste has alot of up front hops but no malt balance to hide any of the alchol taste you get at the end.

Overall, an enjoyable beer but, not one I would seek out again.

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been on a Double Imperial IPA kick over the last few months and I have to share that this DIIPA has become my latest go-to brew. "Sucks" is great. Hopslam's a no-brainer, too, but I'll take Rampage over Hercules or Ruination any day, and I appreciate that I don't have to wait-til-next-year to find it. This thing is loaded with citrus and pine with no off notes to this tasters palate. At $8 a bomber it's fairly priced, as well. Looking forward to finding it on tap someday.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Hazy orange pour. Lots of candied orane in the nose, lots of mlt sweetness. Taste is more of the same, candy sugar, orange and some malt sweetness. Balanced somewhat by a pleasant, pithy orange zest bitterness. A little boozy tasting that is not hidden well. Overall a nice pour with good drinkability.

Bomber > Pint Glass

A - Crystal clear orange copper, really beautiful--can see the carbonation lines perfectly. Light one finger head dwindles down to a thin welcoming layer.

S - Candied fruit, as suggested ("orange") per label. More tropical fruit than citrus on the nose, a nice change from typical IIPAS. Hint of caramel.

T - (Really looking forward to this!) Layers of hops unfold. That tropical profile follows in the flavor--is it the "nectar" that I detect? Grapefruit prevails the more it warms up. Pine is present as well. Good robust flavors Alcohol slightly apparent as it warms.

M - Full mouth feel, foamy carbonation, clean finish. No sticky resin lingering.

O - I like this DIPA, its a bit different than the PNW doubles Ive had. Its definitely worth a try for any imperial india pale ale lover.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

A hard as balls IPA that I loved

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - Deep Caramel color. Great head and good lace.

Aroma - Grassy hops and orange tropical. Sugary. Carried by a biscuit malt smell.

Taste - Piney bitterness. Orange flavors. Sugary sweet biscuit malt backbone.

Mouth feel - Good carbonation. Strong alcohol. Heavy body yet clean.

Overall - A good beer. Definitely heavy with the sweet and bitterness. But that's what I expect in a westcoast imperial IPA. Perhaps a little too strong and sweet for the amount of hop aroma. I feel tipsy for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Seems like your typical IPA to me.

3.47/5  rDev -9.6%

Better than average high octane IPA.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pretty good. Would order again.

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%

Thick amber pour with minmal head... got a nice blast of hops right off the bat, which is what I look for in any IPA.

Great hop and malt taste... it is thick and great beer to sip and enjoy... I enjoyed mine with a crispy slice of supreme pizza...

This is my first try of a Black Diamond beer, and it is definatly one I would buy again!

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

All in all good imperial

4.04/5  rDev +5.2%

I live very close to the brewery, this is a delicious DIPA. Not mind-blowing good, but It has all the characteristics of a classic west coast DIPA, citrusy, piney and an added malt backbone that really makes the finish quite sweet and smooth, the only thing I don't like about it is at 9% it has a pretty heavy mouth-feel, but that's why I drink it very cold. I can grab a 22 for 5.49 so I expect this will frequently be visiting my fridge. Now if only i could buy black diamonds MOEsaic in stores.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Decent American IPA. Visually looks great and very strong. There's plenty of hops there, but they feel weaker. The flavor is very subdued. I was expecting a kick in the teeth, instead this one went down easy. A good DIPA/AIPA for a hot summer's eve, but not world class.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Having previously tasted BD's single IPA and being put off by a grainy backbone and an odd petroleum note in the finish (likely due to a yeast product rather than poor handling), I avoided this double IPA until a trusted bartender pushed one to me. I got a 20 oz. bronze beauty with a dry-hop blast of grapefruit rind from the sturdy half inch head. In the mouth the expected bitterness was mitigated by the citrus nose. The taste was not what I think of as the Imperial IPA style, which tends to have high malt to balance the high alpha bitternness, but instead a classic west coast hop juice in the vein of Pliny or Hop Stoopid. The finish was alcohol and hop oil lining the tongue, astringent in a good way. The lacing on the empty glass left a ring at the level remaining after each sip. A very nice ale and reason for me not to hate on BD any more.

4.88/5  rDev +27.1%

I have had this brew several times in the Tap Room. It is a very tasty brew! I like it's slightly chocolaty/coffee taste. It would go very good with a satisfying meal. Consistent color all the way around, top to bottom. It is only served in the tap room in 10 ounce glasses. It's higher alcoholic content make it a commodity which cannot be sold in larger volume pints.

Very, very tasty!

4.69/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Delicious. IPAS have grown on me. The look on this one is a very slight light orange haziness. The head though is almost nonexistent. The smell is wonderfull. Somewhat piney with tropical fruit notes. Papaya jumps out at me the most. All of the aaromas follow into the flavor. The bitterness is defiantly there but not overwhelming. Nice full body to compliment the delicious fruit notes.has become my go to ipa

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer was from a 22 oz. bomber. The color was a hazy orange with has a nice small bubble, white lace top carbonation.

The aroma is a nice resiny, citrus, grapefruit with a sweet malt backbone.

The taste is well balanced between the biscuit/crystal malt sweetness and hoppy bitterness. The beer finishes with a dry citrus hop finish.

This beer has a medium to full body. Smooth balanced finish.

Overall this is a very good, balanced Imperial IPA. Not overly bitter. At 9% ABV its very drinkable/smooth DIPA.

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

I'm going through a West Coast IPA thing right now and the guy at my recently-discovered local growler shop told me this one might satisfy my jones. He was right. Hard to believe that this thing has 9% alcohol since it is supremely drinkable. I picked up a 64 oz. growler for Christmas.

2.56/5  rDev -33.3%

Smell is very herbal, but the taste is not so much. Very strong distinct IPA taste

Rampage Imperial IPA from Black Diamond Brewing Co.