Rampage Imperial IPA - Black Diamond Brewing Co.

Rampage Imperial IPARampage Imperial IPA

good

Black Diamond Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: berkey on 04-14-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rampage Imperial IPA Alström Bros

sneth019, Apr 28, 2012

tizride, Apr 27, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

A- looks great. Just how you want an ipa to be. I can tell this is going to be good carbonation just by the way it pours. Constant bubble.

S- it's def smells good to my taste. Lemon, grapefruit with some bread and malt. But nothing super impressive, and after reading the label I guess I expected more an I got. That is the only complaint tho

T- good powerful taste. Lemon pine and grapefruit coming in strong like it should. The biscuity malt taste comes in and adds a great profile to this beer. Nothing lingering that you don't like. And some people talk about it being too bitter. I think it's balanced great, strong but makes you want to come back and sip some more.

M - lots of bubbles and stayes nice and perked up the entire time I sipped on the pint

JesteR14, Apr 25, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +1%

my first experience with Black Diamond brewing. this one came highly recommended, so the expectations were high. poured a pleasing copper/amber tone into my pint glass with a small, off white head. not too much carbonation on this one, but it felt right. i thoroughly enjoyed the tropical fruit aromas that hit me first, followed by some pine and biscuity malt. the malt notes dominated as the beer went down the hatch, but i did get some more mango/guava. decent bitterness on the finish. i do taste the 9% alcohol on this one, but it still pretty easy going for an imperial. rampage did not disappoint, but i have had stronger examples of this style.

dannydetox, Apr 14, 2012

twelveinches, Apr 11, 2012

CoryR, Apr 11, 2012

emilylee, Apr 06, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks a ton to my guy ren for this one. Yet again he comes through with deliciousness.

APPEARANCE: Pours a nice, DIPA orange. Crystal clear with a stark white, half-inch head that slowly dissipates. A few bubbles slowly float northwards from the bottom of the glass.

SMELL: The Rampage has a very hoppy aroma. There is not as much malt in the nose as most DIPAs, the smell here is all hops. Lemon and grapefruit are dominant.

TASTE: A ton of grapefruit with lemon and orange to round out a nice citrus profile. Unlike the nose, however, a solid dose of malt balances it out as well. The taste actually reminds me a bit of Stone’s Double Dry Hopped Ruination, but with more malt and sweetness.

MOUTHFEEL: The Rampage Imperial IPA goes down smooth and easy, but a touch of sparkle helps to cleanse the palate on the way down. This is a big, bold beer.

OVERALL: I’m pretty impressed. Ren seems to have the same taste in big IPAs as I do, so given that he sent it, I assumed I would like it, but the reviews seem to be mixed so I wasn’t quite so sure. I like it a lot when I’m in California next I’ll be sure to pick another one up.

StoneTSR, Apr 05, 2012

safiske, Mar 31, 2012

Hessian257, Mar 24, 2012

jrohrbacher, Mar 19, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Pour is lightly cloudy orange gold, with a huge off white head which quickly dissipated to a ring and leaves some lacing.

I can smell the grapefruit and apricot citrus from a foot away as I prepare this review. As I close in however, I don't get much else. Clean aroma.

Taste starts out with big bitter pith until the middle, where a citrus flesh finish ends the taste.

The beer bites the front of my tongue as I drink this. The medium body has a touch of viscosity, and it's not the easiest to drink beer.

The grapefruit notes are huge with this beer, to the point of making it not easy to drink, but that doesn't make it bad, as I really liked this beer, but I wouldn't want more than one. At 5 bucks for a bomber I don't have much to complain about though, so the price makes it even better.

DOA

Drinkerofales, Mar 12, 2012

ek_ek, Mar 08, 2012

halo913, Mar 05, 2012

Hendral, Mar 04, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

The name is not great..."Rampage", but the beer is.

The smell is of fresh, pungent, bitter hops. Grapefruit, orange, lemon.

Wow...tongue buckles a bit, the lemony fruit bitterness hits hard. Then it backs off with a dry bread like malt and finishes clean.

Medium to full bodied. Excellent carbonation.

Overall this nails IIPA style. Well done Black Diamond.

mbunje, Mar 03, 2012

Nage37, Feb 28, 2012

cannabanaceae, Feb 26, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a medium golden orange amber. Fine white one finger head with good retention and lacing. Pleasant aroma of sweet malt and herbal and citrus hops. Flavor is light sweet malt, light unusual (tropical?) fruit and strong hops, with a rather stark and astringent hop middle, finishing bitter and hoppy. The initial malt flavor is nice, but malt body is insufficient to support the intense hops in the middle and finish. Promising, but not a great flavor progression. Medium bodied.

LiquidAmber, Feb 25, 2012

Kornoms, Feb 24, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

heelsn02, Feb 19, 2012

nmann08, Feb 15, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

App: Lightly cloudy tangerine in color, not beautiful, but not unlike an IPA. The head was very nice with sticky remnants clinging all the way down. Slightly off-white in color and very fluffy.

Nose: Nice nose. Piney, sweet citrus, mint, slight clove. The nose is upfront and easy. Not very complicated.

Taste: Butterscotch and a tiny hint of alcohol. Lightly herbaceous towards the end with a quickly disappearing dryness.

Mouthfeel: A little frothy at first, then falls to a nice calmness. Very easy to drink. Actually, it's too easy to drink for 9%. A little lingering IPA dryness after your taste.

Notes: A very good IPA, but not as much "wow" as I wanted from a $5 Imperial.

Notes 30 minutes later: Yes, watch out for this one, drinks like an IPA, kicks like an Imperial IPA.

travolta, Feb 07, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a cloudy orange gold with a thick tan head. Orange aroma, piney, but floral. If there's anything but hops in there, it's undetectable by the nose. Mainly orange with other citrus flavors start it out, followed by tart American yeast (a bit one dimensional), ends with a bitter citrus rind flavor. Big body deceives your palate and balances it out and hides the ABV. A bit acidic, but for a bit DIPA, it's pretty balanced.

I wasn't a fan of some other Black Diamond beers, so I've been hesitant to buy this one myself. Good thing my friend brought it over for dinner, because I quite like this one. Definitely good for the price.

Philousa, Feb 05, 2012

rct828, Feb 04, 2012
Rampage Imperial IPA from Black Diamond Brewing Co.