Duck-Rabbit Porter - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 09-05-2004

The Duck-Rabbit Porter is very dark in color. This robust ale features a pronounced flavor of roasted grains reminiscent of dark chocolate. Also, we add oats to the grist for a round, silky mouthfeel. The malt is well balanced with hops to make this a fantastic choice for fans of traditional, robust, full-flavored beers. We're confident that you'll love this yummy porter!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck-Rabbit Porter Alström Bros
1.4/5  rDev -62.8%

I bought this from Chip’s Beer and Wine in the Outer Banks. Chip’s is THE place to go when you’re in the Outer Banks for Beer and Wine. Huge selection and Chip is very knowledgeable. Thank you Chip! Well done!

On to the beer rating…I truly hope that I just happened to get a bad six pack of this because I think this has to have been one of the worst porters in the world. This had an overwhelming burnt flavor that made me wince with every sip. It was undrinkable and my good friend and I had to pour both of our down the drain.

The next even I tried another one just to be sure with the same results. I ended up pouring all that remained of the six down the drain. Maybe it was just a bad batch because other have liked it but I definitely will not buy another ever again (783 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -57.4%

Probably in the top 3 worst beers I've ever drank. I am a big dark beer fan, and was excited to try something from the self proclaimed "dark beer specialists", but was really let down on this one.

The aroma while so so, appearance was ok, taste was really disappointing. It had metallic tones throughout, very irony taste which turned me off from actually enjoying my beer, which is the point no?

I suppose its possible i got a bad batch or something, because from the reviews seen here and then actually drinking this beer, i am left wondering, what happened?

Will most likely never buy again, first impressions go a long way, just to many offerings out there to try , sorry Duck-Rabbit. (691 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -47.1%

The 'rents picked this up on their last trip to NC and bro and sis flew it over. Thanks for doing the legwork on this crappy brew. =)

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Foam starts creeping up the neck after opening. Brown pour makes a huge, three finger, thinner looking, chunky, crackly, light brown head. Chunky with lots of pot holes like Swiss cheese. Very noisy too. Black body and higher levels of carbonation for the style. Head eventually fades to a thin foam cap and leaves some lacing down the sides. That's its only saving grace. Other than that, it's nasty looking.

SMELL: Roasted and dark malts with some cocoa powder and ashy aromas. Notes of burnt coffee, but mostly dark malts and cocoa. A little too ashy, but alright.

TASTE: Roasted and dark malts with some cocoa powder and light, roasted coffee. The ash is still here, which is a little off-putting. Mild yet lingering aftertaste is roasted with cocoa and a touch of bitterness. Okay, but it’s a little lack luster and the ash a little off putting. The lousy body doesn’t help either.

PALATE: Lousy body. Light and airy. Somewhat creamy, but far too heavily carbonated to be useful. Goes down airy and watery, finishing pretty dry on the palate. Way too carbonated and too light bodied overall. Give you some good burps too.

OVERALL: Far below par for the course. I don’t know if something was wrong with the bottle, but this wasn’t good at all. I slugged my way through this one. On the label they claim to be the dark beer specialists, but if this is the case, I’ll skip whatever else they make. Avoid. (1,604 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -46%

Picked up by my girlfriend while down in North Carolina. Into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with some subtle deep orange around the edges, tons of soapy tan/coca cola-esque head and some solid retention. No lace left behind. Nose is good too, some milk chocolate, roastieness and a hint of light coffee. Pleasant. I wish I had stopped here. Flavour is some mild chocolate and very, very metallic; feels like I'm sucking on a handful of pennies and this even bothers my fillings. Highly carbonated and very much resembling a soft drink in that respect. Metallic notes here are unbearable, had to pour out the second half of this. Maybe a function of date? But a huge let down in my eyes. (690 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -38.6%

A disappointment, sadly. Pours a deep brown dimly black color with a reasonable head and ok retention... but that's as good as it gets.

Aroma is punctuated by a stale refrigerator smell, a bit of of green apple, and only then does some burnt chocolate note slips in.

On the palate this is just in the drinkable range, body is moderately full if a touch prickly, however the flavor is overwhelmed by uncomfortable off notes, turning even the chocolate and roast in the back palate into harsh, unpleasant versions.

This beer is showcasing poor process, and is bad enough that I can't even properly tell if the recipe was even good to start with. (646 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -35.4%

Thanks to unionturf for the opportunity to try this one. Best by 08/2008 notched on the label. Served in a nonic. Opened with a whoosh and poured all head; rocky and the color of sandstone. Residual spatters of lacing lingered as the head slowly dissipated. Took about 10 minutes to pour the bottle. Once the head settled, brew presented the appearance of cola; almost black and opaque. Scents of malt, chocolate and a tangy, fruity quality. Taste is consistent with nose, but tangy dark fruit overshadows the chocolate character (closer to a baltic porter) with a slightly metallic finish. Mouthfeel is between light- and medium-bodied, but way too carbonated. Drinkability is greatly compromised by the carbonation and flavors are not style consistent and out of balance. Hopefully it's just a bad bottle. (807 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -34%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

appearance: brims over with large foamy tan head. color is cola brown.

nose: nothing comes to mind

taste: bitter coffee, chocolate, faint smoke. finishes dry.

mouthfeel: thin but then again i had a higher gravity drink prior to this one.

much prefer the baltic porter. (302 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -31.4%

Bottle courtesy of leftmindedrighty. Thanks!
Pours mostly black with some light coming through in the edges. Tan head that doesn't last. Somewhat thin looking. Smell is roasty malt, some cardboard like notes and coffee. Taste is tart at first sip, and roasty character beyond that with a lingering sourness. Tastes like a watery cherry porter. A bit thin and the tartness seems really out of place, but not spoiled. I'm continually let down by this brewery, and can not understand the hype. Especially unimpressed by this one. Blah. (532 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a nice deep brown with no light coming through. Head is tan, large and in charge with decent lacing. Aroma is light, with chocolate and creamed coffee. Taste is similar, but I am getting a metallic character that ruins the whole beer for me. The drink by date is 11/14(one month away) but not that great with its odd metallic taste. This beer has been sitting on a room temperature shelf for awhile in the store I am sure and do not know if that has something to with it. Little disappointed with this brew. After I left this review, I looked a t several others and I see a lot of people reporting this same metallic, tinny taste. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (658 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass; produced an ENORMOUS sudsy head. There was about 1/4 an inch of beer, and the rest of the glass was head. Black with reddish-gold trim, no real lacing.

Smell: Coffee and dark bitter chocolate.

Taste. The same, it starts with an incredible and unbalanced bitterness, proceeds to black coffee and bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Watery and runny, not the body I would have liked, finish is bitter and unpleasant.

Drinkability: I did not finish more than half, won't be trying this one again. (523 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -26.6%

Received as extra in trade with Jpvw.

A: Poured into a long-stemmed tulip, very feminine. Some light penetrates through the pour, in the glass it's nearly black with light peaking through on the edges. Head is big and bubbly, this looks and sounds like a cola. Does not look like a nice Porter.

S: Smells good, though quite mild. Some roasted and smoked malt, bitterness. Smells like it could be more like a baltic porter.

T: Smoky ashtray flavors are most prevalent, followed by a hint of chocolate roasted malt. Significant bitterness is excessive for this style. Aftertaste is quite smoky, and not really in a good way.

M: Very thin and watery for the style with prickly carbonation. Lacking body and silkiness that defines a good porter.

O: This is a poor example of an American porter in my opinion. There is too much smoke, not enough smoothness or body, and drinkability is average at best. For a "dark beer specialist", I am surprised Duck Rabbit would sell this. (977 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -25.3%

The aroma is very toasty with heavily toasted malt, coffee, chocolate, plastic, licorice, and a certain offness. The appearance is Dark dark brown with an average head. The flavor is like the aroma with the plastic chemical offness ruing everything else that you get from the malt. The palate is thin for a stout. I am not sold on this one. However there is a nice nuttiness to the finish. Still, it has too much in the off department to really enjoy. (451 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Rogue pint and the brew is a very dark clear brown that light fails to penetrate (unless you hold it up to the light and tilt the pint).

The head is a foamy 1 finger dark tan with a splotchy lacing on the glass.

The aroma is minimal and is composed of dark malts, miniscual coffee, and bold sweetness.

The flavor is heavy sweetness that TO ME washes out the malt flavor. FOR ME, this is way to sweet and thin for an enjoyable Porter.

The mouthfeel is thin for this medium - heavy style of beer. I've had some great offering from Duck-Rabbit, but this is not one of them.

To me this is an average at best Porter. (656 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Pours with a HUGE head that I had to let settle. Maybe I poured this one too fast - Oops! Dark brown, with a tinge of see-through around the edges.

S: Roasted (or even BBQed) chocolate with a bit of smokiness. However, right away, I got a bit of soured milk or food kind of nose. Ugh.

T: A bit on the thin side, and not much on the finish. It's kind of watery actually. Also, there is kind of a fake, dark fruit taste in general.

M: Watery, but with a fair amount of carbonation. It needs more creaminess.

D: I don't think I'll drink this one again.

Overall: I'm glad I tried it, because I respect this brewery very much. However, this is a bit of a disappointment. (673 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Yet another of tone77's many drop-offs as my local trader that became a backlog of inventory. I will soon have run through all of the bottles so that I may return to The CANQuest (TM).

From the bottle: "Proudly hand made in small batches"; "The Dark Beer Specialist".

My pour netted me a solid finger of dense deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with very little light penetration, revealing cola highlights at the edges. Nose smelled of coffee and milk chocolate and I was looking forward to the first sip. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was of dark chocolate with a powderiness like over saturating chocolate milk with the powder. Interesting. Finish had a slightly burnt quality as though the malt was kilned too deeply which may account for that chalky powderiness noted earlier. This needs some work. (839 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours dark brown, but glows a fiery ruby when held to the light. An inch of light tan head puts up a noble fight, hanging on for awhile as it creates some nice lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell has deep notes of raisins, slightly burnt toast and maple.

Mouthfeel is spot on: medium full with only light amounts of carbonation. A bit silkier than some in the style.

The taste is disappointing. Not as deep or complex as the smell. Roast coffee and toast flavors come to the fore, but the flavor seems to peter out just when it's getting interesting. Moreover, the dark fruit flavors are almost non-existant. This beer definitely has more in store for your nose than for your taste buds. (698 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -20.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic. "Fresh beer, refrigerate." Enjoy by 4 10 notched on the label.

Thanks to Onenote81 for this beer!

A - Completely black with tiny slivers of clear dark amber color at the bottom. A rich, thick head of tan foam rose to two-fingers and dropped slowly leaving no lace.

S - I'm picking up a small metallic coldness to the nose. Quite roasted too but the aroma is more set back than in-you-face. Dry cocoa and bitter chocolate combine with a mild hop nose that makes it distinct but not necessarily in a good way.

T - Deep cocoa and bitter chocolate surrounds the extremely roasted malt flavor. A kiss of hops mixes it up a bit but the biggest player in the flavor is a poorly tasting metallic tinny component.

M - The metallic finish lingers for a while leaving a poor lasting impression and feel. Dry and roasted bitterness is overshadowed. Full-bodied.

D - I know I'm pushing the limit on the bottled date here but it almost seems more stout-like than a porter. The metallic problem really overshadows everything else for the most part. I wish I would have jumped on this fresher. I'll have to rereview one if I can get one. (1,170 characters)

12oz Long neck. This is from a mixed case I picked up in PA on a road trip.
A) Pours with a finger thick, tan head. Creamy and thin after the settling. Lacing is thin and sticky. The body is nearly opaque, letting some light through to show that the contents have great clarity.
S) Roasted grain. Coffee bean. Earthy - dirt. Subtle sweetness of the malts.
T) Initial blast is slightly sour and the taste overall is a bit thin. Once the sour nip resides the taste is a coffee and malt sweetness concoction that seems like it is watered down and lacking girth. Lingering roasted grain and coffee in the aftertaste.
M) Medium body but thin at first. Crisp and fizzy. A slick tongue feel ... maybe tannin?
D) This is a the third beer in the case that I bought in PA that has something a little off. Unfortunately the "off-ness" is consistently the same type flavor/taste so I can't determine if it is a "skunked" beer or if it is the hop or the based malt combination or the yeast.
This looks great, but beyond that, I wouldn't drink it again if this is it's consistent nature. (1,074 characters)

Being a mid-westerner, I haven't had the opportunity to try Duck-Rabbit beers before, but have heard they are held in high regard. And I didn't find this one to be especially worthy of the praise I've heard for this brewery. It is a little light in color (more a red-brown than a black) and had a decent amount of off-white head. Aroma was decently roasty, although pretty light in roastiness for this style. Flavor was roasty, toffee-ish, and has a weird, slightly sour malted milkball note that I didn't especially enjoy. Mouthfeel was a little thin, and fairly dry.

Decent, but decidedly average. I wouldn't hesitate to try some other Duck-Rabbit beers, but I'd be reluctant to give this one another try. (708 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 355 ml bottle into a tulip style glass.

Pours a rich black colour with a good finger of thick beige head which soon begins to subside reducing to half a finger within a couple of minutes.

The aroma was of roasted malts, caramel and brown sugar. Not a 'big' smell to this beer.

The taste was more of a let down than the smell, a straight 'average' 3! I nearly gave the smell a 3.5, it would have got a 3.25 if it had existed! A little smokey tasting, roasted malts and little caramel in the background, pretty much mimicking the smell but weaker in actual flavour! A slightly sweet and dry aftertaste.

I didn't enjoy the mouthfeel at all. Prickly carbonation (sorry reviewer a couple down from me - I was trying to think of a way to describe it and you hit the nail on the head so post edit!) and far too much carbonation also too watery.

Overall a disappointing porter that got worse as the journey progressed. It looks good, but that's as good as it gets! Way too watery and too highly carbonated. Will not go near this again! (1,046 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Very dark brown, almost black, with a one-finger mocha head that slowly dissipates.
S: Some chocolate and roasted malt, but fairly muted and not much going on.
T: Bitter cocoa. Not bitter in a hoppy way, just like drinking cocoa powder. A bit of sweet roasted malt up front, but that disappears leaving the bitterness behind.
M: A bit lighter than I would expect. Not unpleasant but average.
O: No flaws with this beer, just nothing special happening. (491 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -17.3%

I gave this mahogany brown porter a relatively easy pour into a large snifter and the creamy light brown head immediately rose four fingers tall and stuck around for a long time.

There is a little sweetness in the nose and a bit of alcohol. Hmmm, not much to smell here.

Bitter dark chocolate up front yields to some toffee and ripe cherry in the body. There is a warming of alcohol and a little bit at the end.

Slightly silky, smooth and medium bodied for a porter, the mouthfeel is decent.

I do love a good porter. This is a good porter. There are better out there, but there are definitely more that are worse. (617 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -17%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a scant 1/4" beige head above the barely translucent dark brown brew. Head is gone in a flash, leaving film and a couple of bubbles, with average lacing, at best. Aroma is dark grains, with coffee easily apparent. Taste is semi-sweet coffee grounds, without the crunch. Mouthfeel is hurt by the minimal carbonation, and drinkability is hindered a bit by the unbridled coffee bitterness. Just couldn't settle down with this one myself. (557 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Pours a deep dark brown, almost black color. Provides a one finger tan foam head with moderate retention and ample lacing.

S: Mild smells of coffee, chocolate, dark fruit and charred wood. Very appealing although not overpowering.

T: Starts off with a chocolate taste on the front end very pleasing and pleasant, not overly sweet. The middle is where the roasted coffee and charred wood flavors come out. The charred wood really takes over on the back end, overpowering the dark fruit and chocolate taste.

M: Medium body beer that leaves some burnt smoky taste on the palate.

O: Beer started off really nice but the smoky taste really took over which was not as appealing to me. (685 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Pours a small brown creamy head that dissipates quickly. Almost black with brownish hues around the edge of the glass.

S - chocolate and caramel malts dominate. Nicely roasted aromas.

T - Nice roasted flavor but not enough complexity for me. Needs something. Finishes with a metallic taste.

M - A little watery.

O - Disappointing, I was hoping for more from this being an NC brew. I'll stick with the milk stout. (421 characters)

Duck-Rabbit Porter from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery