Duck-Rabbit Porter - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

good

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 09-05-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck-Rabbit Porter Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Roasted coffee bean with reddish gold trim; almost opaque. The splendid looking crown of wheat toast brown has enough substance to drop no lower than two fingers for quite a while. The 'bubbles to pits' process is well underway, with no shortage of bubbles.

The nose features roasted black malt and is surprisingly bold. This is definitely one of the more aggressive American porters that I've run into in the past several months. Coffee and dark chocolate are present in roughly equal measure. Accessory aromas are at a minimum, but aren't really missed. If the flavor follows suit, we're in business.

Well done Duck-Rabbit. Porter is a delicious porter. Coffee is now clearly flavor king, but not to the extent that it tastes like a coffee bean brewed beer. Bittersweet chocolate is next in line and is the only other flavor that has much of a say. I don't think I'm imagining a hint of sugared vanilla bean. There's an undercurrent of sweetness in any case, trying to hold its own against a rather impressive amount of hoppy bitterness.

The brewery claims that their brown ale is significantly hoppy. No such claim is made for this beer, but it might as well be. Brightly citric hops are present in a 'just right' amount (too much for purists I'll bet) and add another facet to a flavor profile that wasn't really in dire need of another facet. The zigging and zagging of roasted barley and grapefruity hops, sweetness and bitterness, is keeping me interested (and happy) throughout the bottle.

The mouthfeel is perfectly in keeping with the rest of the beer. It isn't much more full than porter average and is rounded, smooth and beautifully carbonated. With this much flavor, a bigger, more chewy body would be preferable, but I'm finding it difficult to be too critical of such a well-crafted ale. Drinkability is up there. This is one of those beers that's gone before you're aware that the bottle is empty.

I love the dual perspective duck-rabbit thingie on the label, and I also love the malty-hoppy dual perspective beer inside. If you're going to call yourself "the dark beer specialist" you'd better come through with a quality porter. Duck-Rabbit has done just that. My thanks to NClifestyle for the first of several bottles from yet another solid, Tar Heel State brewery.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 19, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

This was my first from Duck-Rabbit and I must say I am impressed. A very dark beer that lets little light in around the edges. A sweet smell. It has a strong taste of roasted grain. I will certainly have to try more from this brewer. The mouthfeel and drinkability are both high. If you have a chance to try this beer you should. I spoke with the owner of Duck-Rabbit at Brewgrass Festival and he was a very freindly person.

Enola, Oct 23, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. The color is dark brown with a wispy head and a nicely lingering beige head. The smell is chocolate sweet with not much roastiness. The taste is quite chocolate sweet, almost like a semi-sweet chocolate, with a touch of a roasted barley in the aftertaste with a mixed aftertaste lingering. Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect. Drinkability-wise, this would be quite the nice sessioner.

Thanks to SmokedPorter for the bottle. I love this label....the continuous morphing from a duck to a rabbit is such a real kick, and a good way to keep entertained for a while! As for the beer inside, if you like a sweeter porter than you'd love this one. Very strong chocolate flavor through and through...would be a nice apterif. I'd enjoy this one again, and also the imperial cousin too if there was one!

beergeek279, Oct 21, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Picked this up on a recent trip to Raleigh, NC.

Poured a pitch brown color. Kind of like the bagged dirt my Mom used in her garden when I was a kid. Nice brownish head sitting on top that receded into a thin film.

Nose was full of toasted malts and coffee.

Flavor was more like a stout than a porter. Much more complicated than I expected. Lots of toasted and roasted malts. Lots of coffee. Little bit of dark chocolate. Some sweetness come through it all--very much like a milk stout. Odd.

Mouthfeel is perhaps a bit thin. Not watery but just thin. Very dry which might be just a bit too much.

Another NC beer that impresses and I find tough to put down. Give it up for the Tar Heel State.

MuddyFeet, Oct 21, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

There is no light getting through this baby. This head that doesn't want to hang around. Dark brown around the edges of the glass. If a nose could smile? Smells of sweet coffee with a very nice bitterness to it. My mouth can smile and is. Sweet malts at the beginning, coffee, with a bitterness on the back end. Pleasant dry aftertaste. Mmmm! Good mouthfeel. Nicely carbonated, thick but not too thick. Makes my mouth happy. Drinkability? I want another. I was suprised by this beer. Have been seeing it at my local store for awhile now and just got around to trying it. This will become one of my regulars because of it's great taste and regular availability in my area.

wcudwight, Oct 16, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a deep rich brown color with a small tan creamy head. Earthy aroma of coffee, molasses, and roasted malt, but no real discernable hop presence on the nose. Creamy body holds a palate of roasted malt, coffee, prune, and just a hint of hops. Very nice and smooth. A very approachable porter.

ElGordo, Oct 05, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

Jet black beer with a tan head... a thin one. Leaves some splotches of lace.

Nice aroma of toffee, dark chocolate, and molasses. Maybe some peatiness too.

Flavors start out with a little roastiness and semi-sweet chocolate with a touch of bitterness. Much the same in the middle, but a bit more sweetness comes through. Hop leaves at the end. Not very flavorful for a porter, actually...

Rather thin mouthfeel for a porter. Just doesn't have much body.

Hm... I don't think I'd want to revisit this one. It's not all bad, but I can think of many, many porters I'd rather drink. I've liked the other Duck-Rabbit beers a lot more. Worth a try, though.

hyuga, Sep 28, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a deep deep dark brown with about 1/4" head on top that quickly subsides to a thin layer.... looks like black coffee... wonderful... would be a 5 if the head was a big more dominant.

Smells hugely of toffee, chocolate, nuts, and figs. Smells dark, musty and earthy. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. If the taste is anything like the smell, I think I may soil myself (does that compromise the quality of this review? I hope not).

OK... it doesnt quite match up with the smell... but damn... not a bad beer by any means. Lots of toffee in the taste, an acrid, acidic kind of lactose taste on the back of the tongue.. alot like coffee. Quite a bit of nuttiness in this one too, which was a bit unexpected.

In my mind, this is exactly how a porter should feel on the tongue. Heavy, yet not oppressively so. Mildly active, but really just a tingle on your tastebuds.

Very drinkable... I could easily make a session brew out of this one. I really cannot believe this brew hasn't been getting higher ratings. But then again, I have loved every D-R beer I've ever tasted.
CANNOT WAIT FOR THE IMPY STOUT!

nickss, Sep 23, 2005
1.35/5  rDev -63.9%

I bought this from Chip’s Beer and Wine in the Outer Banks. Chip’s is THE place to go when you’re in the Outer Banks for Beer and Wine. Huge selection and Chip is very knowledgeable. Thank you Chip! Well done!

On to the beer rating…I truly hope that I just happened to get a bad six pack of this because I think this has to have been one of the worst porters in the world. This had an overwhelming burnt flavor that made me wince with every sip. It was undrinkable and my good friend and I had to pour both of our down the drain.

The next even I tried another one just to be sure with the same results. I ended up pouring all that remained of the six down the drain. Maybe it was just a bad batch because other have liked it but I definitely will not buy another ever again

Caesar1pup, Aug 27, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a solid dark brown color with a bit of ruby hue. No real head other than a ring. Nose is roasty and almost slightly burnt. No chocolate notes that I would like to see. Flavor a bit thin. Light roasted and burnt malts are there, but there is an over-riding metallic flavor that really keeps me from enjoying this. The feel is a very light moderate with a moderate carbonation. Overall I find this brew to be lacking. The flavors are not strong enough and the metallic quality is offensive. I would not have this beer again.

kmpitz2, Aug 23, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -9.6%

This one pours a dark brown color with a small head that falls away to nothing very quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. Appears to have very low carbonation. The aroma is very roasty and has plenty of chocolate notes. Smells very nice. The flavor is a bit more oily than I expected. The roasted is subdued and the chocolate is there, but there is an oily thinness. I enjoy the flavor, but it's lacking something. The mouthfeel is thin of the style in my opinion. The drinkability is just ok.

clvand0, Aug 23, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

single 12oz bottle from whole foods - Raleigh, best by 10/05

appearance: dark brown, thin ring of foam, mild red tinting throughout the body

smell: At first I thought this was mislabeled but after it settled down the true aromas came out. faint chocolate, mild coffee, fairly earthy

taste: I enjoyed the roastiness but the tang characteristics did not sit well with me. The last porter I had was the Great Dane Black Earth so perhaps I am negatively biased. sweet dark chocolate, sweet fruit in the aftertaste that I was not crazy about

mouthfeel: fairly thin, not terribly rich

drinkability: I'm good with one

dirtylou, Aug 22, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a scant 1/4" beige head above the barely translucent dark brown brew. Head is gone in a flash, leaving film and a couple of bubbles, with average lacing, at best. Aroma is dark grains, with coffee easily apparent. Taste is semi-sweet coffee grounds, without the crunch. Mouthfeel is hurt by the minimal carbonation, and drinkability is hindered a bit by the unbridled coffee bitterness. Just couldn't settle down with this one myself.

ppoitras, Aug 20, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. bottle, best by Sept. '05. The beer has a black body with ruby on the edges and a 1 finger tan head that leaves a ring of bubbles on the surface but doesn't lace the glass. It smells very earthy with green hops and some coffee. The flavor has this plus bitter chocolate, hops (citric?) that leave a medium bitterness, and raisins that show up toward the end. It has a medium body and carbonation and is overall a very tasty porter.

mmmbeer, Aug 04, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Best before date of September 2005 is notched on the label.

The pour produces a small, dark khaki head that eventually recedes leaving only a ring and an island of bubbles. The color of the beer is almost black with just a slight hint of brown showing through.

The initial smell is of roasted, smoky malts...plenty of woody, earth aromas. Hints of coffee and dark, bitter chocolate abound. There is also a moderate hop aroma.

Carbonation is medium, and the body is almost medium. The mouthfeel is a little watery, but only slightly so.

As in the smell, the first flavors I notice are those of toasted, roasted malts. After some of those flavors subside, the hop bitterness first reveals itself...and lingers on into the finish accompanied by a coffee like malt flavor.

blackie, Aug 02, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz. bottle courtesy of hoppedup in BIF 21.

Dark body with some deep red highlights that are tough to pick out. Tan head leaves a nice lace on the glass and keeps a light dusting on the surface.

Smell is grainy. Chocolate, coffee, and toasted barley character with some light citric hop. Faint apple and must smell can be found on occasion.

Rich taste is full of roasted barley, coffee, and some light chocolate. Hops seem lightly citric along with a light fruity taste. Finishes lightly dry with a flare of bitterness. A bit thinner than expected.

A pretty good porter with some different flavor profiles than I've had. Is there that much difference between East and West? I intend to find out.

KoG, Jul 29, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Completely black. Small tan light head with beautiful lacing on the glass.

Smell: a little grassy to the nose. A bit coffee like.

Taste: grassy standsout at start--tastes a little like raw almonds. Aftertaste is a strong bitter coffee-like flavor from the roasted malts. A nice mix of malts in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Full to medium body. Nothing very special here--just seems standard.

Drinkability: Not my favorite in their offerings, but an intersting enjough brew, and not too overwhelming to drink several.

cracgor, Jul 17, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Love the label, its a duck, no, no, no, wait, its a rabbit...my eyes are now crossed...

Deep tar brown, not completely opaque though, some muddled dark ruby crimson is cloaked within when put up to a bright enough light. Like the sun. That worked. Tan cocoa cap of light medium stature sits with a smooth creamyness. Fades down to a firm collar and a light broken mist. Thin and minimal stringy lace sticks.

Aroma has a nice dry dark chocolate tone. Partially roasty. Sminting of oat flakes and barley sweetness. Light flat coffee bitterness. A smearing of molasses tang emerges shortly after sitting taking away from the intial chocolate.

Taste is smooth with well balanced tang, roast, and bitter all rolled in along the way. Darkly sweet and roastifyingly tangy with coffee bitterness, chocolate, and oats. Some briskly brief burnt black malts bring some darker flavors of char, also, baked molasses cookies seep in across the middle fading into the finish as it drys off leaving a good amount of coffee bitterness and roasty dryness.

Solid medium body with a creamy smooth interior, yet keeps its roasty, tangy character on top. Pretty solid porter, starts swiftly, middles out strongly and finishes with a good porter character. Quite the drinker too. Goes down with convincing ease.

tavernjef, Jul 05, 2005
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark brownish dark red but looks black unless you take the time to stare at it. Nice big fluffy tan head that doesn't lace as well as it looked like it would.

Aroma is light roasted malt with some chocolate in the nose little fruity with some hops mixed in, very light coffee hints. Overall the smell is ok not the best but decent.

Taste is nice roasted malt good coffee flavors mixed with light chocolate sweetness that tries to balance out the coffee bittterness but loses. Some fruit hints show up in the middle the finish is lingering coffee bitterness mixed with earthy hops.

Mouthfeel is on the light side for a porter nice roasted flavor but no much heavier roasted feel.

Drinkability is good goes down smooth and easy. Flavor is nice enough debated 3.5 for taste but its pretty decent brew not the greatest porter but pretty damn drinkable anyway.

mntlover, Jun 23, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured an impenetrable black with a bigbubbled tan head. The head pulled a houdini pretty quickly and there isnt any noticable lacing.

The smell is heavy on coffee and chocolate aroma creating a sweet mocha nose. There is a pronounced roasted smell, but overall it is all somewhat understated.

Rides in prickly on the tongue with alot of effervescence. Its not too rich, with flavors of chocolate and coffee, the roasted malts really kick around and the hop bitterness mingles with the roasted bitterness in the finish. I swear to god it tastes like Reisen chocolate chews right as its about to go down.

This is not the richest porter around, but it isnt too light either. It is a fine brew for a cold night, but it could stand to have more body. Thanks to blitz134 for the bottle!

axisjones, Jun 11, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -9.6%

Deep russet brown in color with a long lasting beige head that laces nicely.

Aroma is bitter coffee, chocolate, some dark malts and red fruit, with a delicate floral hop character underneath.

Flavor is similar with roasted coffee and chocolate upfront, a touch of jammy dark fruit, and a moderate hoppy finish.

Body is medium, with a soft palate and somewhat dry mouthfeel.

AlexJ, Jun 03, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

A good friend from college brought this NC treat to New England for me to enjoy.
I am drinking a chilled bottle in a pint glass.
The beer pours a very dark brown color with some ruby tints showing through when held to the light.
A creamy .5 cm tan head foams up and remains through the sampling. aroma is chocolate and roasted malt with a lite coffee bean aroma as well.
First sip reveals a very lite carbonation level that is very spaced out in feel on my palate, and slightly thin body.
Flavor is sweet chocolate up front and some molasses mixed with a roasty malt finish. No hops that I can find anywhere inside. A tasty brew that I found very easy to drink.

sulldaddy, May 30, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

This is a dark brown beer, light can just barely make it through. The head was small, and disappeared almost immediately. The smell is very nice, very chocolaty, some dark malt aroma. The taste is OK. There is not a lot of flavor. The mouthfeel is way to thin and watery for my taste. This is problem with me for some porters. Drinkability is good, it may not be a great beer but it is drinkable.

bigbubba, May 28, 2005

Pours a nice nearly black color with only bits of light wrapping around the corners. Head was thin and fleeting, but was a nice dark brown while it lasted before reducing to only a small ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smell is heavy of coffee with hints of oatmeal. There is also a nice sweet malt backing to this. A nice smell which is relatively full.

Taste is full with a bit of spice on the back end with flavors that remind me of a stout. I detect a fair amount of coffee as was found in the nose. But there is also some bittersweet chocolate.

This coats the mouth well and is full bodied and makes for a very filling and easy drinking brew. High recommended. An easy porter to fall back to.

blitz134, May 28, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz bottle purchased at Peabody's in Boone, NC, on 3-5-05. Duck-Rabbit brews are a recent arrival in Boone, and this bottle is notched "best before 6-05". Pours a very dark brown body, almost opaque, with garnet tints around the edges when backlit. Cocoa head is small, but hangs around a few minutes before fading to a film. Some nice patchy lace is left on the glass. Aroma is dark toasted malts, mostly old coffee but with some chocolate and earthy hops. Mouthfeel is creamy, but a bit thin. Body is light medium with average carbonation. Taste has a predominant coffee flavor, with notes of chocolate, walnut nuttiness, and a hint of cherries toward the finish. Adequate hops bitterness is earthy and slightly herbal. Bitter coffee aftertaste is longlasting. Fresh tasting, and nicely drinkable. A decent porter from this small North Carolina brewery.

merlin48, Mar 26, 2005