Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Duck-Rabbit Amber AleDuck-Rabbit Amber Ale

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 09-23-2004

The Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale is a medium bodied beer with a lovely tawny copper / bronze color. The lightest of all our dark ales, this is a great introduction to full flavored beers. This brew emphasizes malt complexity with layered caramel malt flavors. We put a lot of effort into getting The Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale just right and we're extremely proud of the result. Enjoy!
1.21/5  rDev -64.4%

Pours a clear copper color with no head or lace. The aroma is of bread crust, vanilla, and a hint of maple. The flavor is odd. It's a mix of root beer barrel candies, toffee, anise, and another odd, undiscernable taste in the finish. The mouthfeel is light and watery. Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale is a strange tasting beer. Not recommended.

1.33/5  rDev -60.9%

Received in a trade from Colby, thanks man. Never heard of this beer or brewery, what a treat! Poured from bottle notched "8" indicating...2008? No clue. The beer pours a clear red amber color with a small white head, perhaps a 1/2 finger, with minimal retention and lacing. The head consists of large bubbles indicating a sharp crisp carbonation? I hope not. The nose is sharp with hints of apples, almost acidic in character, hints of earthy hops and caramel sweetness, but the apple character is overwhelming. The flavor begins with an assault on your senses with an extreme and overpowering sharp carbonation, not pleasant at all. The caramel and apple from the nose are prominent. Mildly bitter. But it's hard to get past the sharp carbonation. Overall, I dumped the beer 1/3 of the way through, not even close to a good representative to the style and way to carbonated. Tasted more like an apple champagne than beer. Will not be back, likely to both the brewery and beer. Disappointing.

1.84/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

So I get to write the 5th review of this beer that pushes it into the ranking...well, I won't be accused of trying to pump up the rating, that's for sure. This beer poured with a nice, clear red and orange color and alight head on top. That's about where the good stuff ends. If you want to read about how much this beer sucks then go ahead and read on. The smell is light and weak with only a sweet malt aroma to it. I described this beer to my friend best when I said it was water with a hint of beer. Very watery with some malt flavor int here and a bit of citrus and vegetable character to it. Don't mistake this for complexity. It is just bad brewing. In the mouth it is thin and watery and weak. It sucks. Don't waste your money.

1.89/5  rDev -44.4%

Best by 04/2011 A: dark, dark amber, nearly brown ale with three fingers of lightly caramel foam falls over a few minutes to a solid sheet of the same with creeping edges. Hazy with spotty lace. (3.5) S: Sweet malts with hints of green apple and banana. Some herbal qualities. (2) T: It’s got band aid and vinyl. Not impressed whatsoever. 1.5) M: Thin for the style with sky high carb and a dry finish. (2) O: Least favorite of the duck rabbit line up. (2)

1.99/5  rDev -41.5%

a - seems really dark for an amber to me, but is still a nice color. Pours with a nice head that lingers a bit and sticks to the glass.

s - my smell isn't too keen, but there is dark toast smell there that I didn't expect.

t - the dark toasty smell carries over as a predominate flavor. Almost a coffee flavor, but a bit brighter, like eating a coffee bean rather than drinking a cup of coffee. I didn't care for it much, I don't think it should be top note in this type of beer.

m - not much to say here, it was fine.

d - eh, I think I need to find food to pair it with for a better experience. These pretzels aren't working too great. I think it would be more drinkable if I could find something to better compliment it.

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Disclaimer - I am from PA, a good distance from NC, and this is the first batch that has made it to the Philly area. Based on other reviews I don't think the shipment faired well.

A - A red colored body pours forth releasing a small off white head that fades very quickly and provides no lacing.

S - The aroma is faint sweet and malt.

T - I'm struggling to find a way to describe it. Slightly spicy. Dry. More bitter than a beer this style should be.

M - There is an astringent feeling it leaves that cause a slight burn on the tongue.

D - It's smooth, but that's about it.

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%

Deep clear copper russet. Ruby is very present in this. Head is a yellowish color and very flimsy and fades very quickly considering the ABV. No lacing to be seen.

Sweet toffee malts and bready grain. A floral type hop aroma. RS in the aroma seems like it's very high. Some maple and brown sugar as well as prune, fig, and dried cherry.

Well all of the Duck Rabbit beers I've tried so far have been far above average but this one is the ugly duckling. Just misses the mark on about everything. Thin, watery, with an unpleasant aftertaste. Not as sweet as the nose would indicate, yet some RS in there. A bitter finish just doesn't help bring this beer together as the toffee, date mid palate isn't thick or full enough to hold up. Very acidic as well. Overall very dissapointing.

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a transparent red. Thin white head gone in a second. Taste is grapefruit upfront, bitter hits the back of throat. Is there any malt in this beer? Tastes like hoppy water. My first home brewed red impressed more than this one.Ive had other Duck-Rabbit brews and I know they are better than this. Time for a recipe tweak.

2.33/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Upon opening the bottle, both bottles, fixxied over the top of the bottle and some of the beer was lost. The beer poured a very dark, but clear red. Much darker than I expected from an amber ale. It had a white head that was not retained at all. The aroma was sweet but I could not really place it. The taste was similar, I was not really sure what I was tasting and to be honest, I really didn't care for it at all. Maybe raisans or plums or apple. Again, not really sure. The beer had too much carbonation for my taste as indicated when I open the bottle. I did not find the beer drinkable at all. The taste was not appealing and it left a very long lasting very bitter and dry aftertaste. While I won't be purchasing this beer again, the other get a much higher rating, but this one may have put me off to all of them.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%

thanks goes to oldgrowth for this. poured bronze, with a nice sized tan head. aroma metallic, malt, some hops, brown sugar. flavor the metallic dominated this I had a hard time picking out anything else but did get some hops and caramel. have had better

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On the nose I get an obvious scent of burnt caramel and not much else. Pretty uninteresting.

Slightly hazy amber in color with loads of carbonation supporting this fluffy light tan head. Lacing is alright.

Tastes kind of like it smells, like burnt caramel. There really isn't anything pleasing about this beer. There isn't anything bad about it either.

Like the visuals, I get loads of carbonation with a medium body and dry finish that is almost chalk-like. Overall, I wouldn't buy this again. Duck-Rabbit needs to stick with the darker beers.

2.55/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - uncaps with a noticeable rush of air. The pilsner glass pretty much is completely filled with foam except for a one-finger band of brew at the bottom. Yikes. As the beer begins to settle out a bit, I think about pouring some more in from the bottle...uh, what's up with the bottle? There is a foam snake emerging from the top. It's *alive*!!! This baby is loaded with Co2. For several minutes I have to wait as foam crawls out the bottle into my glass. Finally I can pour some more beer in and things look under control. There is still over half a bottle of foam but it has stopped churning. Whoa. Oh yeah, the beer. It's um, amber and stuff. The head creates thick cakey lace on the glass when it finally settles down. A good looking beer but there is an obvious over-carbonation situation here.

Aroma - toasted malt and brown sugar nose, almost has a root beer kind of smell. On the lighter side but appealing.

Taste - toasted malt, that's nice. Unpleasantly metallic and sour, not so nice. Pretty decent hops on the swallow, but the carbonation is so ramped up it is turning things salty and prickly prematurely. Releasing some of the carbonation helps much, as I said this thing is flat loaded with too many bubbles. After breathing a bit, the beer settles in. A nice mild hoppiness on the swallow and finish, some warm roastiness returning. Some good, some not so good, the beer or production line needs some tweaking to address the carbonation issue. I want to like this beer because it tasted pretty good at the end but it got off to a worrisome start.

Mouthfeel - The body is a bit thin, the carbonation needs no further press.

Drinkability - I'm cautious about this one. Heavily carbonated beers = certain hangover. It wouldn't take more than three to give me an aching skull in the morning.. Unless I got an odd bottle, I'd avoid this one despite some reasonably good flavor.

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Duck rabbit amber
12oz longneck. This came from a mixed case that I bought in PA while on a road trip. Consumed 3/22/10
A) Pours with a two finger head. Very robust and the retention is great. The head remains creamy with big bubbled lacing. Transparent body. Upward carbonation. Amber in color.
S) Subtle aroma. Light caramel. Wheat notes. Some fruity tones.
T) Sour. Lemon. Very little malty sweetness. Borderline Brett beer. I would say this is a skunked beer but this is second one that I tried and both are the same. So unless there was a bad batch somewhere in the process, this is not a good amber.
M) Light body. Fizzy and crisp.
D) Not good.

2.59/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A bottle served in a seidel mug.

A: The ale is a deep amber red color with orange hints and a 1 finger head that does not retain well.

S: The nose is thin and grainy.

T: The flavor is threadbare, there is a nondescript malty sweetness that neither impresses nor satisfies.

M: The mouthfeel is all sweet grains with no hint of hops.

D: Duck-Rabbit advertises itself as the dark beer specialist. I can’t help but think that this beer is too light, as it doesn’t hold a candle to the Milk Stout. Stick with that and you won’t be sorry.

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%

This beer pours a red/amber with a one finger head and ssome lacing. It really is a beautiful pour. It goes downhill from there. The smell is mostly yeast. Mouthfeel is thin. Taste is a very sour lemon note with not much hop profile. There is a metallic aftertaste. Honestly I expected much better. Maybe it's just me, but this is just not a good beer.

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery Amber Ale--2007 12 oz. Bottle. 5.50% ABV. 35 IBU's? (3.0 / 5.0) Beer of the Month Club Selection May, 2007. Big foamy mild lace off white head. Clear bright rich amber red color. Tight sour sediment. Fruity floral mild hop toast hint front. Mild sweet tangy caramel fruit toast hint estery aged body. Dry mild hop crisp fruity amber ale OK end. Over-aged. Sampled 8/18/2010.

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, glossy red and black label. Best by date notched on the label.

Appearance: Pours reddish amber with a nice tan colored head. Nice lacing too.

Smell: Slighty sour - and almost a hint of apple cider to it.

Taste: Interesting - the same slightly sour notes continue here, but with more malt to back them up. The malts seem darker in flavor (almost like dark fruits) than most ambers.

Overall impression: I didn't like the first 5 of these I drank while in North Carolina, and the one I brought home is no different. Strange combination of flavors that doesn't sit well with me, especially for an amber.

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

Lots of large bubbles are laced in this off white/tan head. It sits about 2.5 fingers thick.
Head has lots of structure and rises above the glass. The beer is a straight amber color pretty much right down the middle on the amber meter. The head does fade and there is some spotty lacing.

Aroma is light and of toasted malt and slightly sweet. There is also a light sweet fruity tone to this.

My first though is that the flavor is a bit empty. Perhaps that's a comment better made through the mouth feel, but still it almost tastes empty. Initial sweetness, then some caramel and fruit. Finished really dry and empty at the end. Just trails off.

Carbonation tingles on the tongue. Body seems a bit too light

I have to say this is not my favorite of the Duck Rabbit catalog. A bit disappointed.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

My first beer from Duck-Rabbit, purchased by my sister-in-law last week, given as a Christmas gift. Notches on label appear to indicate this one was best by October 2011, making this - consumed on 12/29/11 - about 7-8 weeks beyond that freshness date.

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Body is turbid orangey-amber with a small whitish head.

S: Odd - quite yeasty, with scents of ripe apple noted.

T: First impression is more about the mouthfeel -i.e., an overactive sharpness. After I get used to that, I can figure out the flavors. Like the nose, I'm getting a good amount of fruit - ripe apples - and a sour/tartness (apple skins come to mind) that really seems out of place. Lingering tartness at the finish that occasionally seems like hop bitterness.

M: Like I said, overactive sharp fizziness here detracts from the overall experience (which isn't that good to begin with). Weight is about medium, I suppose.

O: Borderline drainpour, to be honest. It doesn't seem like an amber/red at all - no malty toffee flavors and too much fruit. This reminds me of homebrew I'd get from somebody who's new to homebrewing. Hoping the 2 other varieties of Duck-Rabbit that I got for Christmas are better.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a dark copper color - very little head and lacing. Smell is of a malt bomb. I smell no hops in this at all. Smells like musty oatmeal. Taste is really weak and flavorless. Totally boring. It's drinkable only because its weak and watery. Not much carbonation either. Frankly. a disappointment from such a well respected brewery.

2.77/5  rDev -18.5%

thanks to jamie for this. 12 oz bottle

A- deep copper red no lacing and small head

S- sour malt smell with some dark fruit noted. plum and fig maybe.

T- more dark fruit than malt or hops on this one.

M- somewhat thick but drinkable.

O- just ok for an amber. somewhat funky but glad i got to try it.

2.77/5  rDev -18.5%

Medium-dark ruby-copper with a small, off-white, foamy head with average retention and spotty lacing. Smell is of smoky, toasted malts with a light sweetness, piney hops, lightly floral, and a touch of… cranberry? Odd, but oddly good. Taste follow suit and starts out good, but a pretty strong metallic aftertaste ruins this beer. It has a medium body, dry texture and low carbonation. This would be an enjoyable beer if it weren’t for the aftertaste. After reading the other reviews, I wonder if I had a bad bottle.

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%

A- This one pours a dark amber color which is totally transparent. There is no head to speak of after a semi agressive pour. Very, very thin film on the top.

S- There are only a few aromas that I can pick up: Honey and biscuits and also the sweetish smell of cheap pancake syrup. Not very heavy or pleasing to the nose.

T- Bitter but sweet. Watery. The tastes follow closely to the nose with the biscuits and syrup. Also, I detect a nut-like taste. The taste is very weak.

M- Thin. Carb is low to mid. Light sting on the back of the tongue.

D- Not very drinkable. There is nothing that makes me want another one.

This brew is TOTALLY average or a slight bit below. Nothing standoutish at all. Not my favorite offering from Duck Rabbit by any means.

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Although this is a lot better than my first experience with a Duck Rabbit offering, there is still nothing here that would make me want to go back for more. Very nutty and reminds me of a nut brown ale which was very surprising. The aroma was not displeasing and the appearance was a bit murky and amber in color.

Overall this is one that I would not buy again and my thoughts are that they will really need to try a little harder in Farmville. The label is pretty cool though!

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Picked up a six while in Hatteras, Lee Robinson!

Nice white head on the pour, nice aroma(nutty). Slightly off balance a little too sweet . A hint of metallic with the first few sips, faded mid bottle. This Amber is worth trying at least once, would like to see a little more hops worked into this one.

Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery