Duck-Rabbit Brown Ale - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 10-06-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck-Rabbit Brown Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

My recent forays to NorVA and WASDC have enabled me to stop in at Total Wine & More stores in those areas, which is where this beer came from.

From the bottle: “Made in Farmville, North Carolina”; “Proudly hand made in small batches”; “Hoppy and Beautifully Bitter”; “The Dark Beer Specialist”.

In Pop!ping the cap, I released a bunch of gas and even the bottle gave off a hissing noise. I had a feeling as to what this might mean, but I began a heavy-handed pour anyway. It was not long before the glass began filling with foam and I had to back off in order to allow it to settle. I am going to be frank here and say that due to its overcarbonation, I was irritated and impatient, neither of which are conducive to a positive review. It finally settled into two fingers of dense, soapy, light-tan head with good retention. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity and copper highlights. Nose had a minty hoppiness and a chocolate malt sweetness. To quote Wendy’s, “Now, that’s better!” Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, so even with all of that carbonation, it did not lend anything to the mix. Taste was initially minty, thanks to the hops, but slowly giving over to a chocolaty sweetness. I was put in mind of a York Peppermint Patty and I was getting the sensation. In the interim, all of that foamy head had begun to create some sticky lacing on its way down. Finish was semi-dry with the hops outstripping the malt. It was definitely an American Brown Ale and if you like that sort of thing, more power to you. I was left waffling about the whole experience.

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%

3.62/5  rDev -2.2%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured copper-brown with a foamy head that lingered very well; smell was that of caramel and just a hint of chocolate or cocoa. Mouthfeel rather thin for the style. The taste was more bitter than I had expected, and rather flat; I wonder if perhaps this bottle was past it's prime (I couldn't find an "enjoy by" date). Since I can't get Duck-Rabbit in my state, it may be a while before I try this one again, but I'll definitely give it a go with a sample that's known to be fresh.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

This was a tryout from a mix-pack I bought. Local (in-state) brewery, and it's a brown ale, what could go wrong?

On the pour, it's got great colour. Nose is gorgeous, malt and bread and yeast. The taste doesn't follow the nose as much, there is some hops (not bad) but the roast gets a little too bitter as the flavour hits the back of my palate. Finish is just too much on the bitter side. Mouthfeel is OK, maybe a little too carbonated but no real foul.

Overall, I was not impressed.

1.75/5  rDev -52.7%