Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 10-08-2004

The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!
Reviews: 732 | Hads: 1,887

This full dark brown beer is great for any one who likes genies. It pours correct.. it will have a nice foam head, with a hint of chocolate and roasted flavor. The smooth taste, aroma and filling ness has allowed me to buy this beer again again. Availalbe in bottles and but tastes better out of the tap. (304 characters)

12 oz. bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Pours black as night, head drops down quickly. Aroma is pretty complex, changes (for the better) as it warms. Slightly burnt malts, semi-sweet chocolate bordering on cocoa.

Mouthfeel is just superb. Smooth, smooth, smooooth with a perfect amount of carbonation. Incredibly rich and creamy.

I don't want to go too overboard about the taste, but I can't help myself. Simply one of the most delicious brews I've ever had.

Wonderful malt segueing into chocolate, sweet but not cloying, the balance between them is perfect. Nice dry finish with a quick and pleasant aftertaste is the only clue that there is any alcohol involved.

It struck me around halfway though my glass: If you're from New York City (and Brooklyn in particular, as am I) you'll understand this - It reminded me of a perfect chocolate eggcream.

Sip, close your eyes, and savor. (889 characters)

A: Pours like fricking as black as the night. Good sized tan/white head. Good head retention
S: Smells sweet, chocoatey. Almost a dark fruity smell as well. There is also some vanilla in there as well. Very complex smell
T: Oh yeah, thats what I'm talking about!!! Roasted maltiness, sweet milk chocolate flavor dominates. Slight bitter hop aftertaste.
M: Full bodied, and creamy. Its like I'm drinking a jug of cream its that smooth.
D: I really can't come up with one bad thing to say about this beer, excellent any way you look at it in my book. I think this is my first ever 5 beer. Thanks to limesmut for this excellent beer!! Might have to trade with you again for more of this stuff. (694 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +28.5%

I am fortunate to live near this brewery- the milk stout is fairly available in a number of stores. This is my go-to beer, and while I love trying new stuff, I always come back to this one when I want to know that I'm about to have a great glass.

A- very dark, nice 2-3 finger head. Moderate to light lacing most of the time, occasionally more

Smell- almost a winey, rich, complex scent. Something in this beer just seems to hit my nose just right. I can sit just huffing the foam on a glass for a while. In all fairness, I can also understand how some folks would find the smell too strong or not beery enough.

Taste- the best of the bitterness and richness of a stout, and the complexity and hint of sweetness from the lactose. I LOVE this flavor.

Mouthfeel- a little short-lasting for the fact it's a milk stout, but otherwise excellent. Hits with a blast of stout richness and bitterness, then fades as the more subtle flavors come out. Caramel and nuttiness generally come as I swallow, and more of the very subtle fruity aromatics that make me think of wine at the end.

Overall- Love it. My favorite beer. (1,117 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

This bottle was purchased as a six pack from Kroger in Richmond, VA - drink by may freshness notch - poured into various glasses, snifter, tulip, pint.

This beer. yes.

Poured great with decent head. I have to force myself to be critical of this beer because I don't want to give it all fives unless it's perfect so.. they head was a bit lackluster in color and height. Smelled incredible, chocolate and malt, not much coffee. Taste follows the smell.. wow. Chocolate and malt. The mouthfeel is what makes it though, the lactose used in this stout hits a home run on mouthfeel and this beer is incredibly drinkable.

You must find this beer and drink it.

At the moment - My #1 Stout (684 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Pours black with a 2 fingers deep mocha head. Great lacing & good head retention

S: Coffe then toasted malt & slight iron notes

T: Iron taste up front then toasted malt & choclate. Hints of iron followFinishes slightly fruitty, choclatey & dry

MF: Rich & creamy with near perfect carbonation & balance

Very easy to drink, one of THE best milks stouts I've had! (372 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Let me cut to the chase... I love this beer. It is my favorite beer in the United States (yeah, it's that good)

Obviously, I am a stout guy, if you are not into stouts, then you are going to feel quite differently about this.

This aroma of this beer is just wonderful... I really wish they would sell it as a perfume! If my wife wore it as a perfume... well, we would have a lot more kids!

The taste though is where this beer earns its reputation. There is no gimmick to this beer. I really don't feel like any corners were cut in the brewing process. I particularly love this beer during fall and winter and served at about 50 degrees.

As for mouthfeel, this beer is SMOOTH! Duck-Rabbit's Milk Stout is like a snuggie for my tongue!

Ok, that's enough, quit reading my review and go get this beer! If it is sold-out it is probably because I was just at the store and picked up every six pack of it that they had! (917 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours a great black color with awesome tan head and nice lacing. Excellent scent, a great burnt grain/coffee combination with a wonderful sweet lacing from the milk sugars. Awesome taste, a great stout flavor with some nice coffee/cocoa tones and a wonderful sweet milk flavor to smooth it out, with just the tiniest of hop bites to keep it from being unbalanced. A wonderful beer. (381 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious milk stout. The lower ABV makes it an easier to drink stout that emphasizes the coffee flavors and leaves a brilliant aftertaste that lingers for a long time after. One of my new favorite beers. (204 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

This is definitely among my favorite "wet" stouts around. Proud that it's brewed in NC only about 50 miles from my home!

Poured from 12oz bottle into glass.

A - Beautiful opaque ebony, black as night. If you like stouts, you'll appreciate this shade.

S - A lot more coffee than I'm used to in a milk stout. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were marketed as a coffee stout.

T - Heavy on the coffee and roasted malts. Lactose and milk-based flavors hit in the finish, with a nice creamy sweetness. Almost like chasing a Guinness with a glass of milk.

M - Emphasis on creamy. Very smooth, little to no carbonation. The lactose finish really knocks out any bite you might be used to in a stout; just creamy sweetness. This may be a turn-off for some, but personally I enjoy it.

Overall - Definitely a go-to milk stout for me. I like to compare it to the Left Hand brewery's milk stout, with Duck Rabbit's being more coffee based while Left Hand's being more sweetness. Not exactly an educated opinion, but mine nonetheless :] (1,033 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

I had this on tap at Johnny B's in Gastonia, NC and was quite impressed.

The pour was pitch black with a three finger beige head that slowly dissapated and left a nice beige lace on the glass that held on throughout the drink.

The smell was heavy in coffee and malt sweetness with a slight wisp of nuts in the rear of the nose.

The start of the drink was sweet and very thick with a heavy coffee kick and a continuation of this in the middle. The finish was a lingering mix of coffee and nuts.

This was a great example of the style. Very thick and "chewey" just right. Find it now and give it a try if you like sweet stouts. (637 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My girlfriend got me a six pack of a variety of esteemed stouts. This one wins. I think I'm going to buy a few kegs and make myself a duck rabbit milk stout bath. (164 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

From my tasting notes (2009): The best sweet stout, or milk stouts, I've ever tasted. The impressive thing to me about this was the slight sourness to the flavor like near spoiling milk. Real genuine milkiness from a beer. This is a real work of art. The mouthfeel and carbonation are also prefect. The craving to drink another and another, just doesn't quit. (365 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

Big thanks to woolyb for this wonderfully delicious extra from 3x As Nice Cans BIF.

Pours a darkestbrownalmostblack, topped by a light brown whipped cream head that wallpapers some serious slathery lace on the glass..

MMmm chocolate, vanilla and candy sweet front the aroma. Inside the delicious bouquet also reside some fruity notes, delicate like the other aromas, and some deeper floral scents of seduction. A saliva gland activator for sure.

Being a Keegan Ales homeboy (Mothers MIlk, Joe Mamas),and milk stout lover,(most of top 10)I know this style, and let me say this is the finest taste. The flavors are so closely linked to the mouthfeel that I will add now that this is silky and sensuous in the mouth, like the best sex feels to ones lower "taste buds". It is full of sweet, clean chocolate sweet, wonderful light caramel sweet, mid sip some light fruitiness enters, not like any specific fruit, more a juicy and tart delicious fruitiness that lightly guides the sip to the harbor of clean chocolate, coffee hints, and just a tease of bitter hops, almost an after thought to fully perfect what is nearly perfect.

How does one make a beer with beautiful head that is perfectly low/med. carb.? Creamy and light with a clean flavor that really stays in mouth? Light/medium bodied but a full flavor attack of deliciosity? IDK, ask DuckRabbit.

Can't remember the last time I had the feeling I would never drink a finer beer in a certain style. This is possibly the finest possible achievement in this style. If you love your taste buds treat them to this. (1,567 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

12oz bottle poured into chalice glass- thanks to acamacho for this one.

A: Black with a thin tan head compared to what others have noted. Lacing was there but not super sticky. Not a bubble coming through

S: Sweet caramel and roasted chocolate. Almost a hint of butterscotch on the tobacco aroma.

T: Smooth and complex. The combination of the smoky raisin flavor on top of the milk chocolate is on point. As others have noted, it is like drinking a caramel nut milk shake with a hop balance.

M: Sweet and creamy texture. Silklike.

D: Incredibly drinkable. The smokey coffee flavor was good and not too thick but silky.

This is my favorite from Duck Rabbit so far, and my favorite Milk Stout, albeit I havent had tons. Get this one if you can. (749 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Perhaps the best beer of my recent trip to Georgetown, DC. This is a stout beer drinkers dream. Really has a snap to it that makes it better than other microbrew stouts. Plus the price of this beer was quite reasonable even in Georgetown. Only six dollars for a pint! If you've ever been to Georgetown you'll know that this is a deal. (334 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love milk stouts ever since I gave them a try for curiosities sake. It was, at first, the brewer who drew me to the beer (Wittgenstein's infamous duck-rabbit). Nonetheless, the flavour struck me as rather soothing for a beer. It is dark and a tad-bit heavy (though not too much). (281 characters)

12oz bottle poured into standard pint glass...best before 12/09

a-black with nice garnet highlights..little head that faded rather quick..slight lacing..

s-sweet..roasted chocolate and coffee...sugary..molasses..no hops to speak of

t-roasted chocolate and coffee...lactose sweetness..fruity in the middle then waves of roast and chocolate at the end

m-smooth and creamy...could stand to be a bit thicker but spot on for me...prickly from the carb...coats the mouth well

d-could and will drink this all night...a stellar session stout for winter imo

cant believe ive never reviewed this before...i love all the beers from duck rabbit and this is a staple in my home.. (672 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Pours a great black color maybe semi brown with no head.

S - Smells of slight cocoa with light cream smell and semi roasted coffee smell. Wonderful!

T - Starts off with a coffee then leans toward a refreshing chocolate then sort of floral with the hops and finishes semi smoky.

M - Medium bodied and drinkable for the ABV

D - Very nice durability overall. Liked the flavors and moderate ABV. Does really deserve to be a B at least an A worthy beer. Love it. (465 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout has a medium, beige, creamy head, some lacing left behind, and a dark brown appearance, with some visible bubble streams on the side of the glass. The aroma is of sweet, sugary, brown bread crust, milk powder, chocolate powder, and even a touch of black cherry. Taste is of all that, with a nice, subtle, balancing bitterness to follow up. Mouthfeel is thick and velvety, and The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout finishes powdery dry, easy going, and smooth. Overall, this is an outstanding beer. I love it!

RJT (530 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: this is a very dark beer with little head. What head is there is a light brown color, almost like the froth on a shot of espresso. There is a little bit of lacing as you drink it, but not too too much.

Smell: Notes of mocha, with a hint of an earthy smell.

Taste: YUM. This is one of the best stouts I've ever had. It's probably too sweet for some, but I have a major sweet tooth. It's got flavors of chocolate and coffee with creamer, and just enough bitterness to make you feel like you're drinking a stout.

Mouthfeel: Full, almost creamy mouthfeel. This beer makes your lips sticky, kind of the way ice cream or whole milk does. This is a very filling beer.

Overall: Super yummy, sweet, full flavor, bold coffee scents and flavors, definitely worth trying. (775 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Huge thanks go out to TimmyP for the random and generous gift of this beer.

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label is simple black, white, and red and has the ink blot like picture that could be a rabbit or could be a duck. Notch on the side indicates this should be consumed by 10/09.

Appearance: Pours with just shy of 2 fingers of medium tan head. This settles to a thin coating of foam. The beer itself is medium brown and dark enough to be opaque. Some sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Sweet malt with hints of plum and dark toffee. Lactose sweetness in the finish.

Taste: Smooth lactose sweetness upfront with a wave of roasted barley in the finish. Hints of toffee and caramel. Like a toasted marshmallow.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is good.

Drinkability: Wow, exactly what I wanted right now. A smooth yet flavorful near-session ale that is extremely satisfying. When will distro spread to Ohio? (975 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Dark brown to black with a nice low creamy light brown head and good carbonation. Big roasty and bittersweet chocolate and coffee aromas. Bittersweet chocolate and coffee dominates the tastebuds; not very sweet at all. Fairly robust. Medium-full bodied and creamy as it warms.

A nice robust stout.

Per BOM notes:
ABV: 5.7%
Malts: American 2-row varieties (lots of roast barley and flaked barley)
Hops: Nugget, Fuggle (426 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer totally blew me away. Others have described the colors, aromas and other particulars, so I'll just say that it's one of the most drinkable milk stouts I've ever tasted. Not as thick and not as sweet as others I've had, it's the kind of stout that you can just enjoy drinking without feeling bloated after the first couple of bottles. (343 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

A: Dark Brow, Opaque, with a nice tiny had that dissipates slowly. Decent lacing.

S: Dark Chocolate and light toast. Some coffee notes.

T:Dark Chocolate, slight raising, lactose sweetness is present but not overwhelming. Light hoppiness.

M:Smooth, slighly creamy, with almost perfect carbonation.

O: Duck Rabbit is an east coast brewery that never disappoints me. This beer really is great and stands to its name. Give it a shot! (433 characters)

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery