Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Duck-Rabbit Milk StoutDuck-Rabbit Milk Stout

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 10-08-2004)
Russ-diggity

06-12-2012 12:40:26 | More by Russ-diggity
Mtkimes

07-22-2012 04:25:36 | More by Mtkimes
drvcifer

South Carolina

08-25-2013 15:05:54 | More by drvcifer
enviroman

This is a horribly strong beer with no redeeming features including the weak alcohol content. This is a horribly dull beer with no redeeming features including the weak alcohol content. This is a horribly dark beer with no redeeming features including the weak alcohol content.

11-27-2013 04:15:35 | More by enviroman
ao125

1.13/5  rDev -70.5%

This is by far the worst thing I have ever drank in my life. The beer smelled and tasted of burnt microwave popcorn. I couldn’t even finish a single bottle. This is the only beer that I wish I could un-taste.

It's really hard to go into a more complete review on this one, because it was quite literally something I had to pour out.

The color wasn't bad? That's not saying much though.

11-13-2011 14:18:19 | More by ao125
maketheheartglad

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%

07-22-2012 08:23:46 | More by maketheheartglad
drcarver

1.95/5  rDev -49.1%

I tried. I really tried to like Duck-Rabbit, but when they continue to ship sub-par cases to Pennsylvania I just can't get behind them. This is the second case I have purchased that was awful. Every bottle in the case of milk stout was bad. It poured with no head, had an extremely watery body, and smelled like stale cigarettes. The exact same thing happened to a case of amber I purchased a few months ago. I will not be buys their beer until I can get closer to their brewery.

The numbers in this review not only reflect the beer, but also how the appear to run their bottling, shipping, and distribution.

07-13-2009 13:25:35 | More by drcarver

shdisme

03-18-2013 19:35:57 | More by shdisme
MadScientist

2.08/5  rDev -45.7%

a: Very dark brown with garnet highlights with with a cream tan head. The head settles to half a finger with a a decent retention period.

s: There is a mild roasted aroma and nearly an equal metallic off aroma. There are some dark fruit aromas in the background, mostly plum like and a slight diacetyl.

t: There are flavors of dark roasted malt and coffee and moderate levels with a moderate lemon cider off-flavor going on. The is a moderately low sweetness and a medium bitterness. the balance finishes off-dry and slightly roasty.

m: very slick and prickly, so I'm thinking more diacetyl, which is ok per style, and some astringency, is not ok per style.

o: I enjoy that this beer is leans towards the bitter and roast side but there are several flaws that should be corrected before I could appreciate the beer and raise the score. I'm not that great a describing the off flavors and aromas I sense but something isn't right with this one.

07-24-2012 22:33:38 | More by MadScientist
vfgccp

2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

A – Light for a milk stout; almost lighter than Duck Rabbit’s brown ale. Dark brown body with cherry highlights. Bone white head settles into a light dusting, but leaves a nice sheet of lace.

S – Sweet milk layered with walnuts and light-roasted coffee. Touch of mulling spice.

T – Looks like this bottle took a turn for the worse. Sour throughout; almost oppressively so at the start. There’s a milky middle with some dark chocolate after the brunt of the funk fades, but there’s still enough sourness to overpower the rest of the action.

M – Medium/light body with low carbonation.

O – Clearly a bad bottle. I’ll have to come back and try this again next time I can find a bottle.

08-20-2011 23:01:14 | More by vfgccp
womencantsail

2.23/5  rDev -41.8%

A: The pour is extremely overcarbonated and produces a massive off-white head with a very dark brown beer below.

S: Smells strangely metallic. Lots of roasted malts (maybe a bit ashy) with just a slight lactose sweetness underneath. Certainly some coffee notes too.

T: A decent enough lactose/sugar sweetness, but not all that impressive. Again, quite roasty with a slight acidity and definite metallic notes. Strong ash characteristics are also present.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is on the high end of medium.

D: Not something that I'd really care to have again. Mediocre or worse in just about all phases.

01-27-2011 19:11:55 | More by womencantsail
GRG1313

06-17-2012 03:01:47 | More by GRG1313
Khazadum

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

Huge thanks to Bill for including this beer in a recent trade with him! Been waiting too long to try this bad boy. Poured into a snifter to enjoy.

A-Many little bubbles formed an average amount of head. Quickly dissipated down to a thin collar and singular lily pad of bubbles. Color of coffee grounds. Liquid is inky darkness with imaginable red hues. No lacing to speak of.

S- Heavily laced with roasted, burnt, and metallic grains. Very dark in terms of aroma, and I can detect pennies behind that. Faint coffee of the generic store brand variety.

T- Awfully oxidized. The opening notes are copper, iron, and nickel. Should a beer ever be that way to start? As the metals fade the grains come forward only momentarily with a hint of mocha for the finish. Minimal hops, and nothing else. This is almost unpalatable.

I'm forced to continue saturating the metal taste receptors to force myself to enjoy this beer. If I keep sipping at a more than comfortable pace, I'm left with what might be something half-decent. However, I fear that each drink will bring about the stabs of vomit-inducing molecules.

M- Full bodied, creamy, smooth, and velvet. The carbonation was along the lines of beneficial. This is actually well done in terms of feeling. If only the taste was as good.

Some of the residue is absolutely fantastic. I must note that. Sweet candies that remind me of cream and milk.

D- No. If this ever is opened in front of me again, I will only sip it if I'm promised these awful metal flavors are gone. There is something disgusting about this beer, and I hope it isn't intentional. If I had no taste buds, and relied on feeling alone I'd be happy. Sad for me I actually do.

10-11-2010 00:06:13 | More by Khazadum
Robyn

South Carolina

03-29-2013 12:25:50 | More by Robyn
Jbonzee

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

Very average beer that had a funky taste of spoiled milk curds and baby cribs. It tasted like a shot of milk was poured in a glass of coca-cola and then infumigated with breast milk. How do I describe this other than ick? Just an average beer. How it got a 3.8 rating I'll never know.

12-07-2008 22:32:18 | More by Jbonzee
plutobandit

2.33/5  rDev -39.2%

Cola appearance, visible head at the beginning but quickly vanished giving it just a carbonated soft drink effect. I see none of the "ruby red" appearance when held to the light, honestly looks like CocaCola.

I think there must be some kind of issue with this beer-- as it appears that folks on this board are literally writing about two different beers. Some are saying it is a great milk stout, sweet, chocolaty, savory, etc. (aka the beer I wanted to buy) However it simply is not that. This beer is hardly a milk stout, basically a brown ale with coffee. (can we make up a word for this? A coffee ale?) It is more sour and bitter than should be expected which leads me to similar questions to some other negative reviews have asked: "has it gone bad?"

However, looking at Duck Rabbits info on the beer- at 70-80 IBUs (depending on where you look) it isn't even really fall under the taste and style for that kind of beer. Most Milk Stouts are between 25-40 IBUs. (So if it is purposely unusual, maybe say something about it on the bottle?)

Anyway, maybe someone might like the sour chocolate tones of this beer, but I found it pretty unpleasant (especially when expecting something else). Smells better than it tasted. Either there are quality control issues, or Duck Rabbit needs to address why this isn't up to par with what I would expect from the "Dark Beer Specialist"

06-02-2012 03:00:48 | More by plutobandit
Pencible

2.35/5  rDev -38.6%

This poured a dark brown with very little tan head. It smelled like spoiled milk and licorice, with a hint of chocolate and berries. (There's a chance this was skunked, but I think this is just the nature of a milk stout versus a standard stout.) My first impression was that it tasted like ragweed. It had a little bit of chocolate flavor, no coffee, and some slight hops in the aftertaste. It had good carbonation, but it was still watery and thin for a stout. Overall this was a strange tasting beer, and a unique stout.

03-27-2008 23:03:45 | More by Pencible
MiScusi

2.42/5  rDev -36.8%

Bottle notched as best before 7/08. Dammit, I'm just a bit late.

A- very dark brown with a light tan creamy head that needs some pretty vigorous pouring to get going.

S- big time lactose, with the standard combination of chocolate and slight roastiness. Overall a really sweet smelling beer.

T- Roastiness hits initially, followed by this sweet twang. Seems to lack much depth with this strange, I don't want to say sour, but tangy flavor.

M- much lighter than I expected by it's look. Probably a good medium to heavy-medium.

D- not.

This was stored pretty well so I don't believe there can be too much of a problem with it due to poor storage conditions.

08-12-2008 04:07:27 | More by MiScusi
wac9

2.45/5  rDev -36%

dam so wanted to taste this beer and what a disappointed smells boozy taste boozy but does nothing for me i dont to drink anything by duck rabbit any more yes its dark but i dont taste anything in this beer that makes want todrink it again just taste like a high octane beer read the othe reviews because i did i just dont like this beer

04-27-2013 01:24:49 | More by wac9
Frozensoul327

2.45/5  rDev -36%

A: Dark reddish black color; reminds me of Coca-Cola. Smaller head of tan foam had mild retention, but ultimately dissipated after only a few minutes. No lacing. Medium low levels of carbonation.

S: Dark malts, cocoa, sweet fermented grain, a touch of vanilla. Not overly complex, yet still right on for the style.

T: Strong sour fruit flavors, mild dark chocolate and malt. Mild roasted grain and malt flavors, but the sour flavors seem to drown everything out.

M: Too thin. This was very light on the palate, like bubbly water. I'm used to a bit more when thinking of the style.

D: Naw, this is more like a baltic porter than a milk stout. Thanks, but i'll have something else first.

Notes: Thanks to mikesgroove for the 12 oz sample via No Name BIF.

05-06-2007 00:39:19 | More by Frozensoul327
bubseymour

Maryland

2.48/5  rDev -35.2%

A- very dark purple black wit 1 finger head

S- nice mix of malt chocolate coffee and roasted burnt scents

T- kind of sour with dry roasted flavors and a dry hoppy finish

M - thin and watery

O- NOT A BEER I care to finish
Not one of the better stouts out there.

07-13-2012 00:18:55 | More by bubseymour