Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

North Carolina, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 10-08-2004

4.1/5  rDev +7%

L: Pours a nice dark brown with a medium sized and medium bodied head that laces the glass a bit on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, some coffee aromas, chocolate, sweet brown sugar sweetness at the end.
T: A big dose of roasted and toasted malts, big flavors of chocolate, coffee, a very sweet taste like brown sugar but closer to lactose at the end.
M: Very smooth, rich, perfect amount of carbonation, medium bodied.
D: Very drinkable, good amounts of mixing of all the flavors. Very nice considering it's a nice abv.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: Dark brown, completely opaque. A Brownish head that dissipates quickly and leaves a small ring around the beer. No lacing.

S: A strong, sweet, syrup smell with chocolate roasted grain notes. Notes of the profound and complex aroma of maple syrup.

T: Roasted grains dominate the flavor. The balance between the bitterness of the roasted malts and sugary sweetness leans toward the latter but is not cloying.

M: Full-bodied and creamy feeling with low carbonation. The high level of unfermented sugar adds to the thickness.

Notes: While the sweetness was not cloying, this is still a little sweet for my taste. Good.

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours jet black with a tinge of brown on the bottom with a one finger light brown head. Nice lacing, though, not outstanding.

S- holy chocolate! It smells exactly like a good milk chocolate bar..getting some roasted malts as well. Maybe the best smelling milk stout I've taken a whiff of.

T- slightly bitter yet sweet milk chocolate. Maybe a slight bite of coffee. Really good, though maybe a little boring for some.

M- good feel...very creamy. Really has that milky texture to it.

D- really drinkable. The alcohol taste is nonexistent, the flavor is amazing, it smells wonderful...pretty much a perfect milk stout

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in a Unibroue Tulip.

A - Pours a pitch black with about a half an inch of tan head.

S - Sweet Roasted Malts up front, then a little sourness like spoiled milk, and coffee.

T - Good amount of sweetness from the roasted malts, also tastes like coffee with sugar and a bit of cream.

M - Very creamy and rich, with a tad of oiliness.

D - This is a winner, great mix of flavors, great mouthfeel, and easy drinking.

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into an over sized wine glass.

Pours a near black brew with a thin, whispy head that leaves some off-white lacing.

Smells of deep roasted malts, dark bittersweet chocolate and coffee.

Roasted malts, dark chocolate, espresso that leaves a mildly bitter finish. A very well balanced brew. Just a notch under that "big brew" flavor.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

A good milk stout. Not the most robust, but definitely holds its own - pick some up if you see this...

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into an oversized pint glass.

Pours a coffee dark brown, near black. Has a tan head, with a lace island head that very little lace.

Brew smells sweet, roasted and smokey. Chocolate, caramel, coffee. Very good smell.

This brew is smooth and sweet. Has a roasted, near smoked malt flavor as well. Finishes dry and very slightly bitter. Has an incredible smooth creamy mouthfeel. Has a nutty, carmel coffee taste as well.

This is a very drinkable brew. Very, very good mouthfeel. The brew doesnt look great but it sure does taste and feel like a great brew. Very good brew from The Duck-Rabbit.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Pours opaque black with a 1/2 inch pale brown head that quickly dissipates to a thin but persistent remnant, leaves no lacing at all, like it's repelled by glass.
Smells of caramel and roasty chocolate and a little bit of milkiness and brown sugar.
The taste is all creamy, roasty chocolate and caramel that comes on with a pleasant dark chocolate bitterness and ends with just a little sweetness, with a silky, creamy texture that goes on forever and gets better as it warms up and flattens a little bit. For a stout I could drink several of these and keep going.
I have had this before with chocolate cake and it was amazing.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

Brown bottle with no indication of freshness. Pours a very dark brown color with a fairly dark tanned head. When held up to the light it is fairly clear around the edges with a lighter brown hue. Not much head retension and minimal lacing on the glass. Nose has a pleasant roasty character of dark malt similar to coffee and chocolate. Taste has flavors in line with what the aroma led on. Very minimal sweetness which is what I like with this style opposed to the overly lactose impregnated messes of sweetness that distracts from the other flavors. Somewhat of a mineral character throughout the flavor along with a touch of hops and a bit of yeast. Medium to light feel with a moderate amount of carb. Overall not bad, the flavor and sweetness of the lactose come out as it warms and also are more noticable in the aftertaste.

Acquired this from svosie so a big THANK YOU goes out to her!
Consumed 4/25

A: This beer pours a deep dark opaque brown with a one finger of light brown head. Head retains nicely leaving spotty, wispy lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of roasted malts, cream, and espresso.

T: Taste starts with a nice milk chocolate, cream, and milky flavoring. Rich roasted and toasted malts fill out the middle. Finish is where the espresso flavoring comes in.

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, crisp and clean body.

D: Goes down far too easily, very tasty, this is a beer that I would drink all evening.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

I almost had an accident. No, not that kind of accident. This beer drilled its way to the top of my glass before I could say "oh, shit!" and forced me to swallow up some of the nice soda-beige head that was willing to barrel out of the glass if I didn't do something about it.

The brew is black as night, save a few dark brown mahogany spots down below when I hold the glass in front of my lamp. It smells sweet: blackberries, brown sugar, concord grapes, maybe even some brown raisins. As it warms up I smell some coffee mixed in with the rest of the aromas.

The taste is a bit more gritty. Black malts, spent coffee. Still, this being a milk stout, it's gritty on a sugar high. Almost makes my mouth pucker.

The mouthfeel is very appealing; a sweet kiss, and a citric quality follows through like I sucked a lime.

I found this brew to be a pretty tasty milk stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

One of my stand by beers, bout time I do a review of it.

Poured into my duck rabbit pint glass. Yep. Got one. Looks tasty- very dark with a brown head and pretty good lacing. I wish the head had a little more staying power though...

The nose is deep and alluring- smells of dark chocolate and espresso with hints of smoky... Bacon? Call me crazy, its definitely smoky though.

The first time I had this beer, I didn't exactly know what to think because its pretty complex and different for a stout. Up front it has a tangy and somewhat sweet/sour twang to it, but the flavor turns into an enjoyably rich smoky stout with a chocolatey and somewhat smoky backbone. It feels a little tangy and sour on the tongue, gives it some unique character for sure

This is pretty much the beer that got my friend into craft beer, or else I might say it may not be good for beginners. Overall- a great beer from duck rabbit, I'd highly recommend it

I just didn't like this beer a whole lot. It was OK...but was expecting more flavor, and it just didn't deliver. Pours black....not terribly thick. You can smell the spiciness and molasses, but I didn't seem to taste them. maybe it was a bad night for my taste buds...but this beer was just average to me.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Pours a beautiful dark, thick black with a dark brown head.

S: Dark espresso and cocoa, slight oatmeal and a big whiff of roasted malts on the nose.

T/M: Wow, creamy milkiness at the inception makes me feel like I am drinking coffee-flavored whole, farm-fresh milk. Strong on the oatmeal, cacao and coffee; some burnt malts, slight bitterness, leather and smoldering wood round out the taste. Smooth and delicious overall. Milk definitely dominates the taste though.

D: Excellent milk stout; I haven't ever tasted a beer with this type of creamy, whole milk-like mouthfeel before.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

Twelve ounce bottle with best before date of 05/10 notched into it. Poured into a snifter.

The appearance of this is as good as any milk stout I have ever seen The body is black as night with a nice three finger billowy espresso head sitting on top. I suggest you pour this baby hard. At about the half-way point while giving it an average pour, there was no head formation. I turned it straight up and really glop-glop'd it in there to form a good head. Some lacing was evidenced throughout. The appearance on this beer could NOT be improved in any way. 5/5

Smell was good. Dark roasted coffee, dark fruits (plum?), and some winey sourness came out of this one. Good things were promised still to come. 4/5

Taste was strongly coffee dominant with some nice lacto-sourness on the back end. Bitter chocolate, light hop bitterness, and currants were secondary characteristics which added great depth to the taste. 4/5

Mouthfeel was very silky and lowly carbonated. There are some people who would like to have more carbonation here but personally I enjoy a near flat stout on the mouthfeel. 4.5/5

Drinkability is good. These are not easy beers to drink fast because of all their complexities but I did have to restrain myself from popping open another. Over the span of the hour I drank this beer I really enjoyed it and paid attention to every sip. 4/5

This is my second Duck-Rabbit beer. Their Baltic Porter made me pay attention to Porters again and this Milk Stout is one of the most flavorful and complex Milk Stout's I believe exist on the market...at least at the $8 a six-pack price tag on a grocery store shelf. Pay attention to these guys.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

I got this bottle from Stonequarrywest. Poured into a pint glass at 41 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger medium tan head that is foamy and creamy with good retention. The color of the beer is dark brown to opaque. The clarity is opaque. The head leaves some lacing on the glass. There is good carbonation in the beer.

Nose: A dark roasted malt, with chocolate, oatmeal, espresso, a slight burnt character, and a subtle molasses note. The hops is mild with some fruity esters, floral, and some wood. There's also notes of cream, anise, and a touch of solvent.

Taste: A rich roasted stout with toffee, oatmeal, espresso, bittersweet chocolate, cream, and some wood.There are notes of floral, citrus, anise, molasses, and phenols.

Mouth feel: Coating, carbonated, creamy, slightly astringent and dry.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium also. I have been wanting to try this beer for awhile and I'm so glad I got to. The characteristics of the beer are defined very well. It has an overall good flavor.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Deep brown with garnet highlights. Its a thinner looking stout with a creamy head that doesnt stick around long.

S- This is a bit hoppier than I expected. Lots of grassy, and at times lemony, hops. Lots of roasted coffee and light cream and sugar.

T- Bitter, roasty, plenty of grassy hops and black coffee. The milky cream and milk sugars are faint but help drive the smooth finish.

M- Lighter, dry and smooth.

D- This beer went down nicely with a chocolate cake.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance - Pours very dark brown/black. Deep mahogany highlights, foamy tan head quickly fades.
Smell - Sweet caramel/toffee notes, roasted malts.
Taste - Roasted malts, cocoa and coffee notes, overall sweetness.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with light carbonation. Creamy/smooth.
Drinkability - Easy drinking, but still somewhat rich.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz, goblet, enjoy by 7/2010 notched on the label. Thank you for the trade farrago.

Amber brown pour forms a not too black body with a finger of mocha foam. Wait a few moments and that foam will be a bare ring.

Coffee grounds and cream. Large coffee presence, both sweetened and sweetened and creamed. It doesn't seem very lacto but the sweetness betrays the fact. Dark chocolate, roast, and Sharpie.

Bitterness from the coffee and roast flavors balance the cocoa, chocolate milk sweetness well. This is definitely boosted by spicy and bitter hopping that are a little numbing. Sweet vinous quality as it warms.

After my first Duck-Rabbit was explosively carbonated, this seems almost flat. Body isn't quite there and some more bubble would be useful.

This is the best Milk/Sweet Stout I have experienced. In the future I'd really like to get my hands on more Duck-Rabbit beer.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint. Thanks to OldStyleCubFan for the trade.

A - Pours a dark coffee brown with about a half inch of cinnamon colored foam.

S - Some roasted grain with coffee and chocolate aromas - smells inviting.

T - Rich coffee and chocolate flavors with a sweet caramel-vanilla presence. Roast and hops add a touch of bitterness, but this doesn't get out of hand. I can't really get much of a taste of hops, except perhaps a dull earthiness. Finishes very smooth with a hint of sweetness.

M - Full bodied, smooth, and creamy, with restrained carbonation.

D - Very good. I can barely put down the glass. I wish I had more.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%

The Duck-Rabbit
Milk Stout

Received in a trade about one year ago. The label has etches on 2/09. I've had it stored in my beer cellar at 50F.

A- 4
Wow! Cracked it open and foam came out of the bottle. I poured and and more foam. It sat for 10 minutes and I still have 1/4" layer of foam on my glass. Dark black but I can see a little light coming through.

S - 5
I smell a little coffee. I pick up a sweet IRS-like scent. Mmmmm, this smells delicious!

T 4.0
I'm thinking this may be past its prime. The initial taste is great! But there is something just a little off in the aftertaste. To be fair, the bottle does say "enjoy by this date" which is 2/2009. Oops! Maybe I should read the label before cellaring something. Shoot. But, I still can't stop drinking this. I'm not sure what the ABV is on this. It has too much flavor to be anywhere below 7.0 in my opinion. I'm adding an extra 0.5 points with the caveat that everyone should drink these fresher.

M - 4.5
Surprisingly good! Slightly bubbly and playful on my tongue.

D - 4.5
Smooth, sweet, toasted grain. Its light but has great flavor. I could drink quite a few of these if I had them.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Deep brown with ruby highlights. Head fades away very quickly.

Smell: Roasted grains. Sweet toffee and caramel notes.

Taste: Coffee. Subtle sweetness. A touch of hop bitterness. Most of the bitterness comes from dark grains. A little chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth. Slik. Moderate carbonation. Full bodied.

Drinkability: Reminds me of a latte I had in Paris. Stouts are not my thing, but I wanted to try this one. I really enjoyed it. A great before dinner beer.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

just got this as an extra in a trade (thanks Ryan011235)

pour is black, but doesn't appear to be too thick.

smells like sweet molasses and a bit of a chocolate/coffee smell.

taste isn't as milky as I was expecting, and could definitely taste the coffee. however none of the flavors were too strong.

overall i think its a good beer, but lacks overall flavor.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance is dark brown, almost black with a full tan head that doesn't last long. The aroma is pretty straight forward - an earthy sweet malt, with some coffee notes. Chocolate is there somewhat, giving the beer an aroma of tootsie roll and coffee blended. Caramel is also discernible as things warm up. The sweetness really jumps out in the flavor as in the aroma. It is pretty heavy on the roasted malt without being burnt or ashy. And like the aroma, the flavor is a light chocolate/coffee blend, similar to a chocolate bar with coffee beans and cocoa nibs. Mouthfeel is well-done - light according to style without being overly carbonated.

Overall, for a beer this sweet the quantity of roasted malt is a bit high for my preference, giving it a little more coffee flavor relative to chocolate flavor. Even still, it is a well-made beer and a very good example of the style.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic. Enjoy by 3 10 notched on the label.

Thanks to Onenote81 for this bottle!

A - Almost black dark brown with highlights of bronzed amber. A thick two-finger head pops up quickly to lower slowly to a tan pile with creamy fingers of lace.

S - Milk chocolaty smooth nose with a soft roasted malt support. Mocha and hints of coffee come out too. Rather on the one-dimensional side and sweet but good nonetheless.

T - Rich bittersweet chocolate flows across the palate and lingers on the long finish while coffee and mocha notes balance well with a heavily roasted malt backbone.

M - Very smooth and soft with a round, full body and a creamy finish with low carbonation bubble involvement although still moderately carbonated. Flawless even if it leans towards the sweet side.

D - Well, judging by how smoothly it goes down and how little I have left at the end of the review, I can say this beer is pretty damn drinkable. Delicious flavor and flawless mouthfeel. Nice roasted flavor without the bitterness.

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is great beer!

Appears coffee brown with a bit of amber, light head

It smells of toasted mocha, mostly

Tastes very dark roasted, rich, with mild sweetness and mocha and coffee, with a hint of hops

It has a full, creamy mouthfeel

This beer is so very drinkable- one of my favorite stouts

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery