Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Duck-Rabbit Milk StoutDuck-Rabbit Milk Stout

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 10-08-2004)
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Black liquid with ruby colors around the edges against light. Mocha colored head that quickly dissipates to a thin film and a ring of large bubbles. Minimal lacing.
S: Very strong aroma. Slightly nutty, strong malt, milk chocolate, and lactose.
T: Medium body with strong carbonation and biting bitterness. Coffee and chocolate flavors take back seat to the milky sweetness and hop bitterness. Finish is strong in lactose and bitter. Malt presence isn't quite as strong as I would like. Aftertaste feels like you just drank a glass of milk.

I'm not the biggest fan of this style but I feel like this represents a milk stout well. I really want to like Duck Rabbit but I have yet to find one of their beers I am more than lukewarm toward.

03-05-2008 03:29:52 | More by yourefragile
CrazyMacHarris99

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark black but is dark ruby red when held up to the light. There is a thick 1" mocha head that sticks around and leaves some heavy lacing. Smells of malt with sweet chocolate and cream. Taste is sweet chocolate milk with a slight bitterness. It seems a little too sweet for me. There needs to be more balance with some smoke flavors to make it better. The mouthfeel is creamy and it slides down easily. Overall I could drink a few more in one sitting. Not bad for a Milk Stout but a little too sweet

02-29-2008 02:35:07 | More by CrazyMacHarris99
JDV

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Thanks to DrBayern for this one - Deep dark brown/black pour with a big lasting puffy tan head on it. Sweet, creamy milky roasted malt smell to it. Almost milk chocolate like. Taste was roasty, less sweet than expected, with a nice light roasty bitterness to it. A bit more carbonated than ideal in my bottle, especially for a stout, but I see the last couple raters didn't have the same experience. I'd prefer a touch less carbonation and a tad more sweetness, however it is still a fine milk stout and one worth trying.

02-24-2008 17:55:00 | More by JDV
dsigmon

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Dark brown pour with off white/brownish head that clears up fairly quickly.

S: Light smell of malt and chocolate, not much here.

T: Tastes of sweet malt with coffee and chocolate milk background. A little bitterness creeps up at the end to even things out.

M: A little thin but still very smooth and velvety across the palate.

D: Enjoyable brew but not something that I would want to have a lot of.

02-20-2008 15:51:15 | More by dsigmon
cbleary

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Enjoyed out of a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

This is a unique and satisfying beer. It had a deep ruby/black body with a small white head that dissapated quickly but left a good deal of lacing. It smelled of rich roasted malt, coffee, and a hint of vanilla ice cream. The taste was excellent, a very rich and decadent mix of malt and the yogurt like sour-sweetness from the lactose. Very well made.

02-20-2008 02:44:39 | More by cbleary
wcdoyle

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Review based on on tasting notes from Fall '07 Knoxville Brewers Jam.

Beautiful color on this beer nearly opaque black to my eyes. Beautiful head--if thin--that drops out quickly. Flavor and smell were lux: what I'm looking for in a milk stout: Coffee, chocolate, and a touch of sweetness. I could drink this one all night!

02-17-2008 20:01:00 | More by wcdoyle
SIRIUS2

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Deep brown, nearly black in color. Rough pour yielded a thin light brown head that dissipated quickly with very little lacing.

S: Light swirling liberates aromas of coffee and chocolate.

T: Creamy full bodied chocolate with coffee tones. Very little carbonation makes this smooth to drink. The complex and abundant malts linger after the swallow leaving a good amount of sweetness behind.

M&D: Full mouthfeel and an easy smoothness makes this highly enjoyable. Because of the fullness of this brew, I don't know how many I could take in a single sitting.

Overall I thought this is a very good milk stout. This is the first Duck-Rabbit product I have sampled and so far I'm impressed. There is a complexity of malty goodness that makes you want to keep coming back for more.

02-05-2008 01:53:39 | More by SIRIUS2
davidt

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours dark brown with reddish hints. Thin head. Aroma is roasted malt, sweet, with a touch of smoke. Pleasing expresso, roasted malt flavor. A touch of lactose tartness balances the flavor. Thick mouthfeel. One of the better Milk / Sweet stouts from a brewery that does dark beer well.

02-04-2008 15:55:27 | More by davidt
rallison

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Slightly reddish black with a 1/2 finger tan head.

S: Sweetness with some lactose smells. Some chocolate and coffee notes as well.

T: Sweet milk, chocolate and coffee. A bitter bite. Maybe some dark fruits as well - raisins or something. I'm liking the flavors here. Nice.

M: Good carbonation, nice richness for this style.

D: Very good.

Recommended. A solid, tasty stout.

01-22-2008 06:31:11 | More by rallison
ewright

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz bottle (best by April 08), moderate pour into a Duck-Rabbit pint glass.

A: Deep brown/black with a slight reddish color when held up to a light. One finger of tan head with decent (not great) retention.

S: Subdued aroma, slight note of sweet smokiness.

T: Smooth roasty maltiness slides over the tongue. Hints of chocolate and roasted nuts come in late. The lactose gives it a sweetness that nicely complements the malt profile.

M: Nice smooth feel from the residual sugars. The aftertaste is slightly bitter, counteracting the lactose sweetness.

D: A nice example of a milk stout. I could drink this one all evening!

Note: I have also had this on tap and remember it as slightly better than the bottle offering. If you find it on tap, order it!

01-22-2008 02:32:08 | More by ewright
plaid75

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a deep deep brown hue with a three finger chunky tan head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light chocolate malt with essences of coffee and cream.

The taste was upfront soft cocoa and finished with a semi-dry cafe au lait flavor.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness with a slightly dry finish.

Overall a tasty and relatively complex milk stout.

01-19-2008 02:19:20 | More by plaid75
ruckzuck

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

Got this in a beer of the month club a couple of months ago and had a few which I really enjoyed. Saved the last 2 for later and reviewing now finally.

A - nice and black; head is a good looking tan

S - roasted malts, sweetness, faint hints of dairy

T - woo nice malty sweetness up front, almost a bit sugary, really comes through chocolaty at the end; incredibly delicious

M - medium-bodied and smooth; not a ton of carbonation, but feels really great going down

D - wow, this is a superb milk stout! Admittedly, I haven't had a ton of this style of beer, but I loved this a couple of months ago and still really love it now. My gf is a large fan as well. Would definitely drink again and would love to have on tap or to purchase at the store. My only problem is that Duck-Rabbit's stuff isn't sold here and that I only have 1 left =(
Highly recommended if you can get your hands on it.

01-11-2008 00:50:42 | More by ruckzuck
baby4rose

This full dark brown beer is great for any one who likes genies. It pours correct.. it will have a nice foam head, with a hint of chocolate and roasted flavor. The smooth taste, aroma and filling ness has allowed me to buy this beer again again. Availalbe in bottles and but tastes better out of the tap.

01-06-2008 05:12:19 | More by baby4rose
kimcgolf

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured to a dark brown with hints of red and a nice, thick brownish head that lingered well and left good lacing. Aroma was a sweet, malty milk chocolate with a slight side of roasted nuts. Mouthfeel was smooth and full, ahnd the taste foloowed suit with the nose. Finish was long, and as the beer warmed, an amount of alcohol crept ito both the nose and taste that surprised me for a beer with only 5.7 %.

I did not like previous Milk Stouts I’ve had, but Duck-Rabbit did the style proud with this one.

12-21-2007 19:23:29 | More by kimcgolf
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

I have never seen anything quite like this in all the beers that I have tried. With a vigorous pour I get one inch of beer and 5 inches of rich tan head that I have to wait to subdue. It breaks down rocky and with lots of lace. Body is a sharp jet black.

Nose is rich with smokey malt and cheesy, chocolate and mineral tones.

You have to drink through the head to taste the smokey, mineral tango that reaches the tongue. Strongly zesty and spicey for a milk stout. And of course very carbonated. Slight syrupy sweetness with coco notes develops on the end of the palate.

This almost drinks like a smoked porter, which I have noticed from a lot of milk stouts lately.

Enjoyable brew with a shocking visual effect.

12-17-2007 16:04:21 | More by SPLITGRIN
YonderWanderer

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Pours a dark brown with 4 fingers of fluffy, pillowy foam. It slowly recedes leaving lots of lace on the glass. Some nice cascading action during the pour as well.

S: Lots of roasted grains, a hint of chocolate, and some sweetness in the nose.

T: Roasted gains come through as the strongest flavor, with hints of chocolate, and a nice hit of sweetness to tie it all together. No real hops flavor to speak of. Pretty tasty overall.

M: Not too bad - decent carbonation, and it's not too thin.

D: This is an easy-drinking milk stout, pretty tasty and enjoyable.

12-08-2007 00:19:49 | More by YonderWanderer
cartdan

Alabama

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a McChouffe chalice.

The beer is dark brown and clear and pours leaving a small tan head with good retention.

Aroma is roasted grain with a sweetness in the background.

The taste is more of the same - roasted grain with a little sweetness. Not much else there that I can find.

The mouthfeel is where this beer is a little short, I expected it to be fuller and more creamy. The carbonation is a little high, maybe that is why it seems a little thin.

Overall a very drinkable beer, goo, but not great IMO.

12-07-2007 22:15:04 | More by cartdan
MMAJYK

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A- This one pours a dark black color with ruby hues and highlights when held up to the light. After an agressive pour, it leaves 3 fingers of tan head.

S- The smell to me starts off creamy and milky. I pick up aromas of mocha and cocoa in the middle, with chocolate very lightly in the end of the nose.

T- Taste is lively of the same cocoa and mocha. The taste also reflects robust, creamy malts. On the end, I sense coffee tastes with cream or milk added. The end also reflects a toffee smoothness to the overall coffee aftertaste. Very nice and not a strong coffee taste at all.

M- For a milk stout, this one is high on carbonation. It is quite fizzy too which to me is contrary to the style. I am not very experienced in milk stouts, but this one is a little different than what I am used to. I like this difference though; it is not a bad thing.

D- While it is good, the drinkability to me is a little bit low. This might just be because I am somewhat new to the style.

I enjoyed this beer very much. The zest and zing added some things that I have yet to experience in a milk stout. Different it is, but to me, it is different in a good way.

Thanks to my boy Kevin (hurleymanvw) for giving me this one to try.

12-05-2007 02:47:44 | More by MMAJYK
LeeMarvin

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer totally blew me away. Others have described the colors, aromas and other particulars, so I'll just say that it's one of the most drinkable milk stouts I've ever tasted. Not as thick and not as sweet as others I've had, it's the kind of stout that you can just enjoy drinking without feeling bloated after the first couple of bottles.

12-04-2007 18:20:35 | More by LeeMarvin
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Recieved in a trade with limesmut, thanks for the chance to try this and many other brews.
Poured aggressively into my Sam Adams glass. Came up with a small off white head that dissappeared quickly. Very minimal lacing. Really not as black as I'd thought it should be, dark with ruby highlights. I've seen brown ales darker than this one. Smell is of smokey roasty chocolate, and maybe a little candy in there too. Taste is roasted barley and a bit of chocolate and that milk sugar taste that I have yet to figure out how to describe. Taste is roasty and sweet. The body is medium high and the mouthfeel a little sticky. Overall a decent brew. A little light in color for the style, but highly quaffable just the same.

11-30-2007 00:40:31 | More by johnnnniee
brdc

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

My second duck-rabbit in a row, thanks to ddddeac.

Poured from a small capped bottle into a pint, and please note the nice, dual picture in the bottle.

Just like their nice porter, a very nice presentation. Pitch black, fluffy brown head, good retention, lacing and collar all the way to the end. Nice.
Aroma is also pleasant, roasted coffee, dark chocolate, perhaps a bit more hoppiness, mostly fruity. It is malty, and a bit sugary on the nose, but the fruity hops keep it in check.
Full bodied and creamy, with the flavor following suit to the aroma, perhaps a bit sweeter. Milk and chocolate, coffee, maybe some dark fruits?. Sweet it is, and nice and easy going, but not overly sweet.
My second duck-rabbit, the second good one. I am impressed with the brewery so far.

11-24-2007 01:07:46 | More by brdc
drseamus

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Call me crazy, but a stout should be pretty dark. This one isn't dark enough. It has a moderately dark mahogany colored body that shines deep red when held to the light. The head was initially very big but fell really quickly. The aroma reminds me of barbecue. There is a big smokey presence in there along with dark roasted malts and some chocolate. Again, this aroma isn't quite what I expect for the style. Roast is up front and dominating in this beer. There is a bit of smoke in there and this still reminds me of barbecue a bit. The lactose sweetness that essentially defines the style is also definitely there; in fact it is a bit too sweet for me. The body is the only thing that is dead on; decently heavy but not too much. This is not a beer that I will seek out again mostly because it is too sweet with not nearly enough balance.

11-20-2007 05:40:03 | More by drseamus
cjgator3

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark black color with a huge light tan head from the high carbonation. The aroma features dark roasted malts and sweet chocolate. The taste is dark and roasty up front with a bittersweet finish of chocolate and coffee. The heavy carbonation detracts from the beer, but it is still highly enjoyable. Overall, this is a pretty good brew that is recommended.

11-13-2007 03:57:47 | More by cjgator3
objectivemonkey

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Into a pint glass, pours a fairly opaque black, slightly ruby hued, with a good tan head to start with, fading to a nice film, not much lacing though. The aroma is a little timid, but nice notes of lactose, chocolate and a hint of coffee perhaps. In taste, there is even more coffee, the lactose quite nice in counterpoint, again chocolate is nice, but this coffee and lactose battling it out is kind of weird, kind of good. The mouth is fairly smooth and creamy, not perfectly but good enough, the body medium full and the carbonation rightfully restrained. Quite a nice beer.

11-08-2007 23:32:30 | More by objectivemonkey
LittleBreeze

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks to stopbarking for providing the bottle

Dark brown with good head retention.

Strong coffee aroma with roasted grain.

Taste and mouth feel wasn't doing much for me until I pushed it away and let it warm. The beer really began to shine. Very good feel and a complex taste. Good interpretation of the style.

11-08-2007 05:19:21 | More by LittleBreeze