Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: brentk56 on 10-08-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,813 | Reviews: 736
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

it poured deep and dark with a nice thick head wick stuck to the glass most of the way. the smell was of deep roasted malt verry strong. the tase was a little sweet but not to bad a little bitter but kind of smooth not to much. very drinkable but also good if you are only having one

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Been wanting this for a bit, kept seeing it in the magazines but no way it would make it out here, thanks sincereNC. This is my first sweet stout so I have really nothing to compare it to, I guess something like a Mirror Pond, but much sweeter and more complex. Great beer, easy to drink, as it warms it gets more complex. Very drinkable, look forward to the rest.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

I have had this in my cellar since I received it as an extra in a trade last year, and have been drinking a combination of IPA's, RIS, and Wild Ales, but I wish I had some more of this Milk Stout.

A- Two Inches of foam (I may have poured too fast) that dissapated quickly and left slight lacing. Head looked like a Rootbeer Float.

S- Aroma of slight chocolate, coffee and burnt malts.

T- Taste was sweet but not over whellmingly so, with hints of coffee and chocolate. Truly taste the way it smelled.

M- Is more carbonated than other stouts, but I found the mouth feel clean and a not as heavy as other stouts.

D- I could have this as a session beer with ease, not as heavy as most stouts I have had. I left it out for about 10 minutes after I poured it and had it at about 55 degrees, wish I has a six pack.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A-Pours a dark black with a medium brown, two finger head.

S-Smells of roasted and chocolate malt.

T-Sweet chocolate, roasted barley and a mild coffee taste are the predominant flavors here. Really tasty brew...

M-Really nice except for it's a little over-carbonated for the style. It's very smooth and velvety but this disrupted somewhat by the level of carbonation.

D-Really easy drinking beer, although it would have been a great beer had it not been for the carbonation issue.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Dark brown black with hints of red as I hold it up to the light. Nice very full and creamy looking tan head.

S: Sweet chocolate milk. Perhaps just a little bit of spice or something... reminds me of mexican chocolate.

T: That is very nice, sweet, and roasty.. a lovely bit of chocolate in there, and ends with a lactose aftertaste..

M: Creamy mouth feel, but slightly too much carbonation. Forgivable, and delicious.

D: Very good, as much as I love stouts, I am not a huge fan of milk stouts.. This one however is pretty damn good. Cheers.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours near black, with reddish hues around the edges. A half finger of foam bubbles down to a thing ring of creamy foam.

Aroma is dark roasted malts, yet the flavor is not as roasty as expected... there is an interesting flavor that I can't pinpoint, the lactose maybe? Almost tastes a tiny bit sour. Yeah... as I smell and taste this more, I'm picking up a little bit of a Brett funk... is that possible?

The mouthfeel is fantastic - very smooth and creamy. And this beer is very drinkable - no traces of the alcohol. There is just that weird flavor that I'm not digging.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

I poured this beer out of a bottle into a pint glass. I held it up to the light and the the color was a brown/amber. It had a tan two finger head that went away very quickly. Their is no lacing at all. It smells of malt, carmel, and milk/lactose. It tastes roasted and malty with notes of carmel. There is a small aftertaste of malt, milk, and light hops. It feels smooth and silky in the mouth. In my opinion this beer is average for the stlye.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Large, two finger plus head of very fine dark tan foam, whipped up appearance with a good deal of dimpling as it dissolves, some lacing. Pure black in color, faint trace of yellow-brown at the outer edges. Well-stuffed nose of milk chocolate, caramel, licorice, the coffee has only a soft roast to it, plum, cherry and a liitle bit of apricot, no overt hoppiness, however, the breadiness has a whole grain, natural roughness to it. In the mouth it's medium-bodied with a wiry, wound-up carbonation which more or less keeps things from spreading too broadly. Dry cocoa powder, malt, caramel and coffee candy, vanilla bean, it offers a breadth of similar flavors without excess sweetness. Not roasty, at times perhaps some nuttiness. The fruit is basic cherry, blackberry, apricot, fig, not too "dark" in complexion. Put best thusly, easy to drink but not simple.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle tasted was best before 12/09.

Pour opaque black with a white dissipating head. Black malts dominate nose. Assertive roasted barley with a sweet malt licorice aftertaste. No bitterness on the finish which makes it true to style. Smooth, full bodied and very drinkable. Although this isn't my favorite style, I enjoyed this sample very much.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Sep 8, 2007

12oz bottle, best before 10/07.

Pours a dark brown with a very small light brown head that diminishes to a ring.

Aroma is primarily roasted malts.

Flavor is roasted malts, chocolate, coffee. Finish/aftertaste is a bit different and took me by surprise when I first had this. Might be the lactose/milk sugar. Took some getting used to, but I like it.

Medium body with little carbonation.

I do prefer their Porter, but this is a solid sweet stout.

EDIT 01/10/10. After sampling various Duck-Rabbit offerings over the past couple of years, there is unfortunately some quality-control issues with this brewery. It's a shame, as when the beers are good, they're really good. I've now seen the Porter, Milk Stout, and Brown Ale all pour 10% liquid, 90% head. They also have a tendency to go sour, Baltic Porter included, although nothing like I saw with the Milk Stout, it went COMPLETELY sour. Fresh is best with DR, and even then there is no guarantee.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I like Duck Rabbit, very fun brewery with great beers.

Beer is served on draft in a local beer bar. Beer is black. Carbonation is a mystery but the thin white head leaves behind a lot of lacing.

Aroma is nutty and has a strong roast character to it.

Beer is much more bitter than I expected it to be. The nutty flavor I picked up in the aroma is also present as well as a slight sweetness, probably from the lactose. Drinkability is OK and mouthfeel is a little thin for the purposes of a beer like this. This wasn't my favorite milk stout and wouldn't be a repeat.

3.56/5  rDev -7%

Pretty good milk stout. Nice pour, retains lacing. A little less of the coffee/chocolaty overtones but I actually like this so this is a plus. More of a dark fruit with slight coffee undertones. Not as thick as other milk stouts I've tried. Just a bit of carbonation.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle purchased just a few miles from the brewery.

[Appearance] - Pours a viscous pitch black with a 3 finger creamy tan head. The head retains well and laces nicely.

[Aroma] - Roast, roast, and more roast barley. A symphony of smokey/bready/caramel notes with minimal to no hop profile. No alcohol in the nose.

[Taste] - Roasty malt presence followed by a biscuity breadiness. Lots of coffee and smoked malt notes grace the palate. Dextrous sweetness from lactose. Minimal hop bitterness finishes the beer.

[Mouthfeel] - Dry up front followed by a myriad of dextrous malt/lactose notes that greatly thicken the beer into a formidable milk stout. Thick and sweet yet never cloys the palate. Carbonation is medium-low.

[Drinkability] - A toutch heavy, but delightful. Low alcohol keeps this one sessionable for a sweet stout. Viscous texture does not allow for many to be consumed in a sitting.

[Overall] - I was greatly impressed. I did not know much about the brewery or their beers coming in to this one; they did not disappoint. I look forward to more from the "dark beer specialists'. A very complex milk stout with a high final gravity no doubt.

Beer provided by friends visiting from Kennett Square, PA.

The beer pours out a dark translucent brown with a huge beige root-beer-float-like head. The aroma contains roasted malts, sweet milk-chocolate, and a little bit of dark chocolate.

The taste has both dark and milk chocolate as the main flavors along with always present, lower-level roastiness. The beer leaves a lingering sweetness on the tongue.

The mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation. It is fairly smooth and somewhat creamy. This is a very easy drinking milk stout. In my opinion this is a very good example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a deep brown with huge tan head.
Smells of chocolate, molasses, coffee, roasted malt. Big nose.
Taste is sweet dark malt up front. Dark fruit, cocoa. Licorice on the aftertaste.
The body is medium with a nice carbonation prickle.
Wonderful stuff - one of the best milk stouts that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

I tried this in Greensboro, NC. Was a good cream stout but nothing exceptional. Not as dark in appearance as it should be. Nothing special in it's smell. But this tasted good and went down nice. It is not a great stout but it is good and is worthy to be drunk again.

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams pint glass. Poured a dark brown color with a large one inch tan fluffy head. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet with some chocolate and coffee and roasted flavors. Taste has some roasted malts and chocolate flavors up front with a very sweet slightly tangy finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is OK, it is a little sweet for me to have too many of these. One is probably enough. A very nice milk stout though if you like milk stouts.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Got this one on a work trip...

A: Appearance is decent with not much head. Very dark.

S: Smells sweet and full of flavor, we'll see...

T: Not too bad. Nice walnut taste with a slight hint of caramel. Not a bad beer.

M: Nice amount of carbonation. Feels nice a syrup-like.

D: Goes down very easy.

All in all, this is a great NC brew. Haven't tried too much else from Duck Rabit, but this is a good first impression.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Deep mahogany body that looks more like a dark brown ale around the edges than a stout. No foam at all on the pour but a faint ring of larger bubbles gradually collects. I can smell a bit of malt sweetness as the beer sits on the table in front of me. Lifting it to my nose I get more of a bourbon and peat note. Alcohol, malt, caramel, vanilla, and smokiness intertwined. The initial sip is a bit edgy with almost a sour note on the finish. Subsequent sips reveal more peat flavor, almost like a wee heavy. The sweetness gradually builds, but the smoke-tinged malt remains. Just enough bitterness to cleanse the palate. Mouthfeel is smooth, but not heavy. Drinkability is ok, but this is more of a nightcap than a session beer in my book. Would drink it again, but not sure it cracks my current 30 or so beer rotation on the "buy a case" list.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to a generous trader, Onenote81, for this one. Pour is from the bottle to a snifter. Review is from notes taken on 12/8/2009.

Appearance: Pour is a very deep coffee brown that is nearly opaque, it does allow some hints of ruby when held to the light; starts with a 2 finger head light tan head that fades very slowly; where I can see into the drink, the carbonation appears quite strong; spottly and loose lacing is left on the sides of the glass here and there, but mostly slides back into the beer.

Smell: Fair amounts of roastiness and a slightly bittersweet chocolate scent; I swear I detect a very earthy, almost dirt-like hop presence; almost smells a little "thin."

Taste: Dark and toasty malts, and I feel that I'm right about that dirt-like/earthy hoppy presrence that I referenced in the nose; a very nice roasty coffee flavor lingers in the aftertaste; I find that as it warms, there is a bit of a burst of a milky sweet/bittersweet chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is quite strong and borders on sharp; body is pretty creamy and beyond taht, a pretty thick coating is left behind, specifically on teh roof of the mouth; belly is left pretty warm and the mouth is left a little tingly.

Drinkability: Overall, I find it to be a very solid stout -- nice roastiness and slightly bitter flavors; smell is a little "thin" and the carbonation is a bit much, but beyond those criticisms, it's a great beer and I would have no problem sipping on another. The ABV is also very do-able.

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

Dark brown body with amber edges. Massive 6" tan head formed instantly and vanished almost as quickly down to a 1 finger head. Very little lacing present.

Chocolate, coffee and roasted malt aromas present. Some sweet scents come through when at proper temp.

Strong roasted coffee flavors hit the mouth first. Creamy chocolate middle with a bitter metallic finish. This calms down a ton after sitting a bit.

Thin mouthfeel...moderate creaminess with lots of carbonation.

Pretty drinkable. A tad bit thin and acidic for me. Much better if served close to room temp.

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

Extra thrown in during a recent trade. I have had a couple other Duck Rabbits and was interested in trying this one as I do enjoy milk stouts.

Popped open a bottle and poured into a small snifter.

Dark chocolate brown pour with average head that diminishes fairly quickly. Closer to a brown ale to me than a motor oil black stout.

Smell is predominantly roasted malts, some chocolate, and some lactose with the taste which largely follows. The lactose serves to dampen down the richness of the taste.

Fairly high level of carbonation which diminishes the stout character of the beer. A tad spritzy if that makes any sense. Very much on the thin side.

Certainly, you are able to drink a # of these but to me, it is more of a 1 or 2 beer experience with time to then move on to bigger games and/or flavors.

Thanks again for the opportunity to have this one but I certainly like other milk stouts better. When compared to say Moloko Plus, I'll take the Moloko hands down.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

A - This beer poured a dark brown color that produced a light tan head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were milk chocolate, vanilla, and coffee beans

T - The taste of this beer had a mix of milk chocolate and vanilla beans, iced coffee, very tasty and sessionable

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a light to moderate amount of carbonation

D - I really don't know why Milk Stouts aren't more sought after, very flavorful, easy drinking, what more can you want?

3.79/5  rDev -1%

This is a great looking beer! It has a full dark tan head that is rocky. It has a deep opaque body. There is just the right amount of carbonation to the body. The aroma is a little bit adjunct with some coffee tones. It has a rough dark cocoa bitter taste that is not too roasty. Very smooth to drink it is a full bodied beer but not as heavy as one might think.

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

Got a keg of this from Hop City here in Atlanta. It;s in a taller keg than 'normal', so had to invest in a $55 low profile Sankey connector to get it flowing. Been waiting 2 weeks now but here I go!

Appearance: deep, deep darkeness with very slight bit of light through the glass. Head disappears rapidly with no head or lacing. Carbonation look reminds me of pouring a cola into a glass.

Smell: sweet and roasty grains

Mouthfeel: thinner than I expected. very sweet; no hop bitterness discernable.

Drinkability: good. I'm on my second and hopefully there are about 46 more in that keg :-)

I like it, but not as much as the Left Hand Milk Stout that I actually ordered. (Orderer got confused so I took this keg instead.)

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery