Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

North Carolina, United States

Baltic Porter |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 08-10-2006

The Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter is deep, rich and velvety soft. A full blooded roasty character with almost no burnt flavor is balanced by complex alcohol notes. Strong (9% alcohol by volume) yet unfailingly subtle, this special brew rewards unhurried attention. Enjoy!
1.25/5  rDev -69.4%

Not sure I get this beer. Sharp and prickly sour, which thins it out and gives big thin head. Huge burst of competing sweetness. The added roasty flavors don't help. I tried to let it warm and nothing helped. Couldn't drink more than 2oz. Infected?

2.26/5  rDev -44.6%

A: The pour is almost black with a modestly sized tan/off-white head.

S: This is going to sound strange, but this beer smells strongly of powdered cheddar cheese (like on Cheese Chex Mix). There's also licorice, roasted malt, roast, and ash. Definitely a dark fruit aroma, too, like prunes.

T: Lots and lots of licorice and prune juice. It's overly sweet and sugary at points. I pick up some metal, and there are also fruit skins and quite a bit of roast and ash, which at least help to mitigate the sweetness.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation.

D: Not an enjoyable drinking experience here. Some really weird and off flavors.

2.36/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours out a thick, mildly carbonated motot oil appearance. No lacing.

Smells of sour raisins, cherries and chocolate malts.

The taste is more of chocolate, cherry and more sour fruit. Too syrupy and sweet. Just not my thing at all.

Mouthfeel is OK, a little too heavy, although carbonation is good.

Drinkability is honestly pretty bad, I can't see drinking more than 1 of these and even that I'm not enjoying very much.

Just too syrupy sweet and thick for me. I haven't had too many Baltic Porters, so maybe I'm just not a fan of this style. On the positive side, the labeling is cool! :)

2.36/5  rDev -42.2%

okay, here it goes. I hate to rate such a loved brew so low, but i did not enjoy this one at all. 2007 12 ounce bottle received in a trade.

it poured black with little head, just a ring of tan foam.

it smelled of dark fruits and black licorice.

taste? i can only say black licorice and grape soda. those are the only flavors i can taste, and i tasted it at all temps from cold from the fridge all the way to room temp, still grape soda and licorice. not a pleasing combination for me.

thick for a porter, oily which coated my mouth, which is good in most cases, if you like the flavor.

I cant drink this again, not like this. I am hoping that the remaining bottles i have will change over time. I will hold on to them for 6-12 months and see if the flavor changes. i will revisit this one eventually to make sure of what im tasting, but i will not be in any hurry to do so.

2.38/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours black with a small tan head fading into just the edges.

Smells of roasted malts, a bit of smoke and raisin.

Some roasted malt up front along with a touch of smoke. Intense dark fruit flavors on the back end create a horrible clash of tastes.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This one went to the sink. There were some good things up front, but the dark fruit flavor at the back end did not mesh well with the other flavors at all and ruined it for me.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

12oz bottle with best by date punch taken out of November, but no year punch, Poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/26/11

A: Pours near black with fizzy light brown head that dissipates very quickly leaving no film or lacing around glass.

S: Roasted coffee beans, roasted malts, dark chocolate and some dark fruits with hints of acidity. Really nice combination of aromas with some faint alcohol in the background. As it warms up the pleasant aromas described fade out and soy sauce and alcohol sting my nose.

T: Sharp and acidic, almost sour, roasty with dark malts, dark fruit and finishes with some smokiness.

M: My tongue tingles with the almost sour acidity. Not much carbonation, but its hard to tell for sure with the acids tingling my tongue like tiny bubbles. Medium body feels lighter with the high acidity.

O: Not a big fan of this one, if it tasted like it smelled it would be a lot more enjoyable but the acidic feel takes away from the taste and my overall opinion of the beer. Drinkable but not quite enjoyable.

2.52/5  rDev -38.2%

A-Pours out thick dark brown or black. Little carbonation. No head or lacing.

S-Smells like raisins and smokey malt, not really impressed.

T-Very syurpy and nasty sweetness. Some chocolate and dark fruit. Not my thing really.

M-Mouthfeel is heavy and thick. the little bit of carbonation helps, but im still having trouble liking this.

O-I honestly dont like this beer at all. I had high hopes for it, but maybe Baltic Porters just arent for me. Just not what I expected

2.64/5  rDev -35.3%

On-tap at Smokin' Joe's Saloon, East Carson, Pittsburgh's South Side.

It looked great, near-black, but with little head and not much evidence of carbonation.

It smelled like a wet smelly dog or really nasty wet socks when they first brought it to the table. Eventually I found some nice scents but not enough to rescue the overall enjoyment or lack thereof. There were 3 of us beer-fanatics and no one liked it at all. Apparently the wet-dog scent comes from fruits and sour mash but it really stunk at first. Later the scent improved but nothing close to any great Baltic Porter that I've ever had, and I'm a fan of the style.

Flavor was a bit odd, again I suppose the over-abundance of the fruits which gave a sort of fruitcake effect that didn't seem to fit with the chocolate-coffee Porter base. Maybe it would have come across better if they'd called it a Holiday Porter or something.

It was one of the few 8-ounce sampler glasses out of 16 that we tried that never got finished between 3 of us beer-fanatics.

Maybe I'll try it again next time I'm there and try to think of it more as a Holiday Beer and see if I like it a little better.

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

It pains me to write an unfavorable review, because I normally appreciate Duck Rabbit's offerings. This just doesn't seem like any Baltic Porter I've ever had... It's nicely colored, but its plum, cherry, and raisin flavors are - to my palate - truly excessive, almost resulting in a cough-syrupy sweetness. I'll come back to it again in a week to give it another chance, but for now, I think it's a miss.

2.79/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A_Pours a jet black with zero head, zilch. A tiny dollop of bubbles swirls in the center.

S_Sweet roasted malt, alcohol soaked prunes and a twinge of yeast. A nice smokey quality as well.

T_Sweet in the front, slightly bitter in the middle and very sour at the end. The sweetnesss is quite fruity which is followed up by a very roasted bitterness. The sourness is hard to place but is definitely there and not so pleasing. The aftertaste is almost like liquid smoke. Kind of seems like a mess to be honest.

M_Syrupy and lightly carbonated.

T_Not digging this one too much. The sour aftertaste and syrup feel make this hard to swallow. Literally. I would rather go to the bodega down the street and drink whichever Polish Porter they have.

2.81/5  rDev -31.1%

12 oz bottle obtained as part of the BA Secret Santa '07. Thanks BRoss242.

Poured into an imperial pint glass. The head is more of a cap that sits right on the surface than a head. Nick stickage on the lacing. Color is pure black.

Smell is a charred wood with some anise spicing. Taste is very acrid, almost like spoiled milk. This is the first time I've had this beer, so I'm not sure that is the desired flavor. There is more charred flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and thick. This one didn't go over very well with me. I would like to try other Duck-Rabbit beers though.

2.86/5  rDev -29.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter, acquired as an extra in a trade with HopsBreath! Thanks!

A- Blacker then the void of space. Dark mocha colored head that lingers for some time. No apparent lacing.

S- Smokiness is there along with some burnt chocolate mixed with some type of burnt flesh. Did they put bacon grease in this? Interesting, just couldn't but my nose on it.

T- Very FIRST sip - Paint chips fried in grease then smoked. Strange.

The rest of the bottle- Rich smoked dark chocolate with a bitterness to it, maybe a little bit of hops coming through? Hints of vanilla. Some time tangy. Odd.

M- I thought I was drinking syrup, man is this a thick one! Decent carbonation. Slippery and creamy. Has a buttery texture.

D- I would say low. It is an odd tasting beer. The taste seems to be all over the place. Man was the first sip awful. I contemplated pouring it out right then and there.

Will probably not be seeking this out again.

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Near black pour with a nice two fingers of brown head. Aroma is sweet and charred/peaty with noticeable alcohol. Pretty deep but not overly complex or inviting.

The flavor is sweet and has some port notes that don't come off as clean and complex as I would like. Not sure if it is the flavor profile or if there is the workings of an infection, but there is some sourness that is off putting.

Mouthfeel is good, but drinkability is low due to the creeping sourness and port notes that just don't work with the underlying flavor profile. This one is very unique and I could see how certain individuals may find it very appealing, so I would advise seeking it out for yourself and seeing if it is for you.

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle, pours black with a beige head. Nose is sweet, some powdered chocolate, vanilla. A bit thin in the mouth, of course chocolate, some mild coffee, and a thoroughly unpleasant sour component that clashes horribly with the bitter coffee and light malt. I do not get this style.

2.92/5  rDev -28.4%

12 oz bottle, best by date of 10/08 notched on label. This isn't my first sample of this and unfortunately I've had the same experience each time.

A: Pours a rather still dark brown, nearly black opaque liquid. Hard pour produces a thin bubbly tan head that has very little retention and lacing.
S: Best part of beer, first detect a sweet milk chocolate followed by roasted malt, slightly burnt, a little fruit, then finishes with a little alcohol.
T: There is something I like hiding in this beer every time I try it but unfortunately it always gets overwhelmed by a finish of alcohol, slightly medicinal and metallic that destroys any of the coffee/milk chocolate like flavors. First time I wanted to assume it was a bad bottle but I've consistently had the same experience
M: Very creamy, smooth, almost syrup like, with surprising amount of carbonation for how flat the beer looks.
D: The aftertaste kills any of the drink ability in this for me. I can barely get through a single bottle without wanting to pour it out.

2.96/5  rDev -27.5%

Thanks to DrBayern for this one - Pours a lovely oily, heavy looking black color with a big fluffy lasting brown head. Looks amazing. Smell is a deep roasty, sticky, teriyaki/soy like sweetness. I got pretty much only hearty smells and no dried fruity sweet aromas from this one. As it warms it smells more and more smoky, soy-like and like liquified smoked beef jerky. Reminds me a lot of Flying Dog Gonzo Porter. Taste is rich, with similar smoky roasty mildly tart/sweet soy flavors. Mouthfeel is perfect. Carbonated lightly, and the body is rich, thick, creamy and velvety smooth. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden for 9 %, but the almost "savory" like heartiness and the smoky, meaty flavor I got from it would keep this from being a beer I personally could drink again and again. Still a well made beer all around.

2.97/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a tulip. There is a nice one inch slightly creamy tan head on this one. The body is black.

The aroma is full of chocolate with some fruity undertones that remind one of cherries.

The taste has some chocolate, with some cherry but not much. There is a grainy taste to this one though and a strange bitter aftertaste that disappoints a bit.

The body is light for a baltic porter. There is nice carbonation.

This is the second time I've had this one and it tastes about the same as before. I guess I'm not a huge fan.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

received this one in RIS BIF from jyounger30, big thanks to sending me this one from '08!!

i seem to be either hit or miss on baltic porters i have ever had the chance to try. i either love them or cant stand them, this one seems to be right in the middle.

a- jet black, little brown head. little to no lacing present.

s- i cant pick up too much, i have a stuffy nose BUT... i smell some blackberries, dried fruits, coffee beans, nuts, etc.

t&m- very bitter, leaves my mouth dry. black coffee, deep dark dried fruits, raisins, i know this may sound strange but i keep getting this hint of horseradish with the last few sips. for 9% it seems real boozy like something double its abv.

d- i would actually love to have a fresh bottle of this to re-review this seeing as this is an '08. i now notice it is notched best before 11/09. this is very bitter and not many tastes compliment the bitterness and booziness here.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Big thanks to Bhalter8 for providing this in trade.

Wow, looks more like a big stout. The head erupts from within like an Imp Stout. Dark brown with a deep tan head. Some retention, but it eventually fades to a thin cap. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma was a little unexpected. Earthy and a bit of dark roasted notes.

Hmm, flavor is interesting. Not sure I really enjoy it to be honest. Smokey, earthy and a touch of sour... Not like it's bad, but just an off finish. Lots of prune and date flavors. Also some molasses. Fairly sweet.

Body is very thick and rich.

Not very drinkable for me as I am a bit put off by the flavor.

Sorry that I don't enjoy this more.

Oh well.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottle from 2007.

A pour from 5 inches above my glass results in a beautiful rust-tan head three fingers high, but it quickly reduces itself to several centimeters worth of fine bubbles. The beer itself is sheer black. No lacing to speak of.

I let the brew sit and warm a bit while I continue to smell it. My first thought is how incredibly sweet this smells. Loads of dark chocolate cake and espresso aromas lurk in here, along with molasses and alcohol. Sugary is a good start describing this.

I take a sip and blink a few times. This is intense. And it's not all good either... Big bold burnt / charred grain flavor upfront, bitter and roasty and would be over the top if not balanced with an equally absurd mix of sweet, sweet, dark chocolate and molasses. There's a bit of dark fruit back in there somewhere, and a mild sourness that I'm not sure was desired. The alcohol is hot and aggressive, and lends an eye opening kick as you swallow it as it warms your throat immediately. Lots of fusels here which I don't like. It finishes bitter and espresso-like with some lingering nuttiness and sweetness which coat the mouth and a graininess that's not helping things out. Seems like they may have gone overboard with the chocolate malt and / or black patent malt in the recipe. The extreme burnt flavor and maltiness constantly fight for command of your taste buds. It's just too much.

Mouthfeel is slick and coating, and the carbonation is too lively for this sort of thing. It's a little hard to drink as each sip is such an explosion of intense flavor -- reminds one of World Wide Stout for sheer audacity.

There is a good beer buried here, but as it stands now it's quite tough to drink. I'm going to cellar the remainder of my 6 pack because I really believe this will be heaps better in a year or... three. Just now it's too young and wild and needs to sit in the corner till it learns to behave.

3.09/5  rDev -24.3%

Opaque black with a thin, mud brown head that is quick to collar and fade. Looks evil.

Smells of stinging dark fruit alcohol and Welch's grape jelly.

Tastes of smooth, roasty chocolate under plum flavored booze. Very hot, would probably have benefited from some time in the cellar. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy under boozey viscosity.

Overall, I probably should have left this in the cellar for awhile as greatness peeks out from all the alcohol in this beer but it's just too hot to handle.

via jyounger30

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: Black. Some super dark brown at the edges when held to light. Head is tan, bubbly, and loose. Drops to a small bubbly cap and creamy collar. Some notches of lacing. Smooth and slightly heavy pour.

Smell: Roasted malts. Dark chocolate and cocoa powder bitterness. Massively sweet. Some light milk chocolate. Slightly oxidized with hints of sherry and tart cherry. Some leather in the back. Loaded with dark fruit, some fig and plum, and bittersweet chocolate. Caramel, like the real thing. Some underlying hints of citrus and herbal hops.

Taste: Roasted and slightly burnt. Leather and dark fruit. Slightly tart cherry and plum layered over bitter cocoa and dark chocolate. Rich chocolate hits chocolate malt, milk chocolate, baker's and semisweet chocolate, it's all there. Raisins and some backing smoky char...almost. Warming pushes the raisin aspect up a bit too high. Some flat burnt, almost soggy malts.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium to full body with a moderate carbonation. Smooth and easy drinking. Relatively clean finish.

Overall: Impress me.

Not terrible. That's really where it stands.

3.14/5  rDev -23%

Pours a dark brown with slight froth. Smell is a little soft, not much going on there. Taste is roasted coffee and cocoa. It also has a sense of fruit going on that is pleasant. Mouthfeel is smooth but a tad too carbonated. This is a easy drinking beer that slightly shows the 9% abv. It’s not very sessionable, after one, I think I’ve had enough.

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz. bottle at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse

A: Dark, almost no head even with an aggressive pour. A few bits of lacing.

S: Dark dried fruit, malt, alcohol.

T: Tart fruit, a bit of chocolate, coffee, and molasses. Very little of the malt backbone I expect from a porter could be tasted through the din of the other flavors, which, while interesting, did not meld well at all. The lingering tartness just didn't work in this beer.

M: A bit watery, nothing exceptional.

D: Feh. Unpleasantly surprised by this one because I had heard good things about it.

Edit: Had a chance to try it again recently and it was much tastier than I remembered.

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

I must admit I was somewhat disappointed in this brew after high expectations. trying to figure out what the funky almost bacon grease nose is to this brew. The alcohol is a little to up front on the palette and bitter on the backside. After seeing the prior reviews I can see i'm not in the majority on this one..I think i'll stick to the stouts! I think I figured out this funky smell it's almost like pork rinds..None the less this might be better with a bag of pork rinds!

Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery