Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Baltic Porter |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 08-10-2006)
Rempo

11-05-2013 01:06:17 | More by Zaphog
jmarsh123

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -44.3%

Pours black with a small tan head fading into just the edges.

Smells of roasted malts, a bit of smoke and raisin.

Some roasted malt up front along with a touch of smoke. Intense dark fruit flavors on the back end create a horrible clash of tastes.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This one went to the sink. There were some good things up front, but the dark fruit flavor at the back end did not mesh well with the other flavors at all and ruined it for me.

07-05-2012 00:01:47 | More by jmarsh123
womencantsail

2.28/5  rDev -44.3%

A: The pour is almost black with a modestly sized tan/off-white head.

S: This is going to sound strange, but this beer smells strongly of powdered cheddar cheese (like on Cheese Chex Mix). There's also licorice, roasted malt, roast, and ash. Definitely a dark fruit aroma, too, like prunes.

T: Lots and lots of licorice and prune juice. It's overly sweet and sugary at points. I pick up some metal, and there are also fruit skins and quite a bit of roast and ash, which at least help to mitigate the sweetness.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation.

D: Not an enjoyable drinking experience here. Some really weird and off flavors.

01-27-2011 19:27:35 | More by womencantsail
j37geogaddi

2.3/5  rDev -43.8%

Pours out a thick, mildly carbonated motot oil appearance. No lacing.

Smells of sour raisins, cherries and chocolate malts.

The taste is more of chocolate, cherry and more sour fruit. Too syrupy and sweet. Just not my thing at all.

Mouthfeel is OK, a little too heavy, although carbonation is good.

Drinkability is honestly pretty bad, I can't see drinking more than 1 of these and even that I'm not enjoying very much.

Just too syrupy sweet and thick for me. I haven't had too many Baltic Porters, so maybe I'm just not a fan of this style. On the positive side, the labeling is cool! :)

04-05-2010 23:23:06 | More by j37geogaddi
tayner

Arizona

2.33/5  rDev -43%

okay, here it goes. I hate to rate such a loved brew so low, but i did not enjoy this one at all. 2007 12 ounce bottle received in a trade.

it poured black with little head, just a ring of tan foam.

it smelled of dark fruits and black licorice.

taste? i can only say black licorice and grape soda. those are the only flavors i can taste, and i tasted it at all temps from cold from the fridge all the way to room temp, still grape soda and licorice. not a pleasing combination for me.

thick for a porter, oily which coated my mouth, which is good in most cases, if you like the flavor.

I cant drink this again, not like this. I am hoping that the remaining bottles i have will change over time. I will hold on to them for 6-12 months and see if the flavor changes. i will revisit this one eventually to make sure of what im tasting, but i will not be in any hurry to do so.

11-22-2007 12:52:34 | More by tayner
Azurescens

Washington

2.45/5  rDev -40.1%

12oz bottle with best by date punch taken out of November, but no year punch, Poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/26/11

A: Pours near black with fizzy light brown head that dissipates very quickly leaving no film or lacing around glass.

S: Roasted coffee beans, roasted malts, dark chocolate and some dark fruits with hints of acidity. Really nice combination of aromas with some faint alcohol in the background. As it warms up the pleasant aromas described fade out and soy sauce and alcohol sting my nose.

T: Sharp and acidic, almost sour, roasty with dark malts, dark fruit and finishes with some smokiness.

M: My tongue tingles with the almost sour acidity. Not much carbonation, but its hard to tell for sure with the acids tingling my tongue like tiny bubbles. Medium body feels lighter with the high acidity.

O: Not a big fan of this one, if it tasted like it smelled it would be a lot more enjoyable but the acidic feel takes away from the taste and my overall opinion of the beer. Drinkable but not quite enjoyable.

04-27-2011 03:38:18 | More by Azurescens
Photekut

Tennessee

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

05-18-2013 22:01:55 | More by Photekut
jimixr

Georgia

2.53/5  rDev -38.1%

A-Pours out thick dark brown or black. Little carbonation. No head or lacing.

S-Smells like raisins and smokey malt, not really impressed.

T-Very syurpy and nasty sweetness. Some chocolate and dark fruit. Not my thing really.

M-Mouthfeel is heavy and thick. the little bit of carbonation helps, but im still having trouble liking this.

O-I honestly dont like this beer at all. I had high hopes for it, but maybe Baltic Porters just arent for me. Just not what I expected

05-08-2011 19:32:14 | More by jimixr
therica

Maryland

2.63/5  rDev -35.7%

On-tap at Smokin' Joe's Saloon, East Carson, Pittsburgh's South Side.

It looked great, near-black, but with little head and not much evidence of carbonation.

It smelled like a wet smelly dog or really nasty wet socks when they first brought it to the table. Eventually I found some nice scents but not enough to rescue the overall enjoyment or lack thereof. There were 3 of us beer-fanatics and no one liked it at all. Apparently the wet-dog scent comes from fruits and sour mash but it really stunk at first. Later the scent improved but nothing close to any great Baltic Porter that I've ever had, and I'm a fan of the style.

Flavor was a bit odd, again I suppose the over-abundance of the fruits which gave a sort of fruitcake effect that didn't seem to fit with the chocolate-coffee Porter base. Maybe it would have come across better if they'd called it a Holiday Porter or something.

It was one of the few 8-ounce sampler glasses out of 16 that we tried that never got finished between 3 of us beer-fanatics.

Maybe I'll try it again next time I'm there and try to think of it more as a Holiday Beer and see if I like it a little better.

04-11-2010 23:29:28 | More by therica
sleazo

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

A_Pours a jet black with zero head, zilch. A tiny dollop of bubbles swirls in the center.

S_Sweet roasted malt, alcohol soaked prunes and a twinge of yeast. A nice smokey quality as well.

T_Sweet in the front, slightly bitter in the middle and very sour at the end. The sweetnesss is quite fruity which is followed up by a very roasted bitterness. The sourness is hard to place but is definitely there and not so pleasing. The aftertaste is almost like liquid smoke. Kind of seems like a mess to be honest.

M_Syrupy and lightly carbonated.

T_Not digging this one too much. The sour aftertaste and syrup feel make this hard to swallow. Literally. I would rather go to the bodega down the street and drink whichever Polish Porter they have.

02-29-2008 04:30:00 | More by sleazo
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

A- Pours pitch black with nice foamy one finger head that is mocha in color and appearance. Some lacing lines the glass.

S- I get a roasty dark malt aroma as well as a sour tinge that comes through in the nose. I actually get a very strong soy sauce type of aroma that isn't the most appetizing I have experienced...

T/M- Definitely a roast malt, but way too sour. I mean, this thing has a very very sour flavor that I think came from the brewery overshooting the dark fruit flavor that comes with the style. This thing is like a ripe sour cherry in a glass with roasted malt. No sweetness or chocolate comes through, maybe a bit of coffee with the roastiness. Also, I'm very disappointed in the mouth. It is far too light and leaves the tongue and mouth with a stinging feeling and terrible astringency...

D- One redeeming quality of this is that it seems like a session beer but boasts a 9% alcohol level. Other than that, one is plenty for me on this beer...

**EDIT-I like to read other reviews AFTER posting my own, and I would like to say that I most likely got a bad batch after reading what everyone else experienced. I will keep my post as is, but something may have gone wrong with this batch...

08-25-2010 02:16:37 | More by TheGordianKnot
ab39z

12-31-2013 00:47:31 | More by ab39z
bort11

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev -32%

12 oz bottle obtained as part of the BA Secret Santa '07. Thanks BRoss242.

Poured into an imperial pint glass. The head is more of a cap that sits right on the surface than a head. Nick stickage on the lacing. Color is pure black.

Smell is a charred wood with some anise spicing. Taste is very acrid, almost like spoiled milk. This is the first time I've had this beer, so I'm not sure that is the desired flavor. There is more charred flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and thick. This one didn't go over very well with me. I would like to try other Duck-Rabbit beers though.

12-31-2007 19:07:01 | More by bort11
alcstradamus

Washington

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

Near black pour with a nice two fingers of brown head. Aroma is sweet and charred/peaty with noticeable alcohol. Pretty deep but not overly complex or inviting.

The flavor is sweet and has some port notes that don't come off as clean and complex as I would like. Not sure if it is the flavor profile or if there is the workings of an infection, but there is some sourness that is off putting.

Mouthfeel is good, but drinkability is low due to the creeping sourness and port notes that just don't work with the underlying flavor profile. This one is very unique and I could see how certain individuals may find it very appealing, so I would advise seeking it out for yourself and seeing if it is for you.

03-09-2010 00:35:38 | More by alcstradamus
CaptainTripps

Oregon

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter, acquired as an extra in a trade with HopsBreath! Thanks!

A- Blacker then the void of space. Dark mocha colored head that lingers for some time. No apparent lacing.

S- Smokiness is there along with some burnt chocolate mixed with some type of burnt flesh. Did they put bacon grease in this? Interesting, just couldn't but my nose on it.

T- Very FIRST sip - Paint chips fried in grease then smoked. Strange.

The rest of the bottle- Rich smoked dark chocolate with a bitterness to it, maybe a little bit of hops coming through? Hints of vanilla. Some time tangy. Odd.

M- I thought I was drinking syrup, man is this a thick one! Decent carbonation. Slippery and creamy. Has a buttery texture.

D- I would say low. It is an odd tasting beer. The taste seems to be all over the place. Man was the first sip awful. I contemplated pouring it out right then and there.

Will probably not be seeking this out again.

10-18-2010 03:38:28 | More by CaptainTripps
JAXSON

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

Bottle, pours black with a beige head. Nose is sweet, some powdered chocolate, vanilla. A bit thin in the mouth, of course chocolate, some mild coffee, and a thoroughly unpleasant sour component that clashes horribly with the bitter coffee and light malt. I do not get this style.

09-06-2010 20:23:43 | More by JAXSON
yourefragile

District of Columbia

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

12 oz bottle, best by date of 10/08 notched on label. This isn't my first sample of this and unfortunately I've had the same experience each time.

A: Pours a rather still dark brown, nearly black opaque liquid. Hard pour produces a thin bubbly tan head that has very little retention and lacing.
S: Best part of beer, first detect a sweet milk chocolate followed by roasted malt, slightly burnt, a little fruit, then finishes with a little alcohol.
T: There is something I like hiding in this beer every time I try it but unfortunately it always gets overwhelmed by a finish of alcohol, slightly medicinal and metallic that destroys any of the coffee/milk chocolate like flavors. First time I wanted to assume it was a bad bottle but I've consistently had the same experience
M: Very creamy, smooth, almost syrup like, with surprising amount of carbonation for how flat the beer looks.
D: The aftertaste kills any of the drink ability in this for me. I can barely get through a single bottle without wanting to pour it out.

02-22-2008 22:10:07 | More by yourefragile
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured into a tulip. There is a nice one inch slightly creamy tan head on this one. The body is black.

The aroma is full of chocolate with some fruity undertones that remind one of cherries.

The taste has some chocolate, with some cherry but not much. There is a grainy taste to this one though and a strange bitter aftertaste that disappoints a bit.

The body is light for a baltic porter. There is nice carbonation.

This is the second time I've had this one and it tastes about the same as before. I guess I'm not a huge fan.

09-28-2011 04:20:45 | More by andrewinski1
JDV

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to DrBayern for this one - Pours a lovely oily, heavy looking black color with a big fluffy lasting brown head. Looks amazing. Smell is a deep roasty, sticky, teriyaki/soy like sweetness. I got pretty much only hearty smells and no dried fruity sweet aromas from this one. As it warms it smells more and more smoky, soy-like and like liquified smoked beef jerky. Reminds me a lot of Flying Dog Gonzo Porter. Taste is rich, with similar smoky roasty mildly tart/sweet soy flavors. Mouthfeel is perfect. Carbonated lightly, and the body is rich, thick, creamy and velvety smooth. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden for 9 %, but the almost "savory" like heartiness and the smoky, meaty flavor I got from it would keep this from being a beer I personally could drink again and again. Still a well made beer all around.

02-24-2008 17:59:16 | More by JDV
Reagan1984

2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

Big thanks to Bhalter8 for providing this in trade.

Wow, looks more like a big stout. The head erupts from within like an Imp Stout. Dark brown with a deep tan head. Some retention, but it eventually fades to a thin cap. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma was a little unexpected. Earthy and a bit of dark roasted notes.

Hmm, flavor is interesting. Not sure I really enjoy it to be honest. Smokey, earthy and a touch of sour... Not like it's bad, but just an off finish. Lots of prune and date flavors. Also some molasses. Fairly sweet.

Body is very thick and rich.

Not very drinkable for me as I am a bit put off by the flavor.

Sorry that I don't enjoy this more.

Oh well.