Duck-Rabbit Barleywine Ale - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Duck-Rabbit Barleywine AleDuck-Rabbit Barleywine Ale

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 12-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck-Rabbit Barleywine Ale Alström Bros
thebigredone

1.1/5  rDev -71.1%

Appearance was normal. Everything else was not. Horribly infected, taste awful. Deserves a zero. Don't have much experience with Duck Rabbit, but the two beers that I was sent as extras were both infected. This does not make me want to really give their beers another try, seeing as they have such poor quality control standards.

09-24-2012 22:38:27 | More by thebigredone
FtownThrowDown

1.63/5  rDev -57.2%

I don’t quite know how to start with this one. It looked fine in the glass. Nice reddish copper color with only a slight ring of head around the glass. But this smelled and tasted completely different than any other BW I’ve had.
It had some kind of a what I was referring to as rotten corn taste and smell. Really perplexing. Like spoiled corn syrup was used to make this beast. It was slightly over carbonated, but the alcohol was hidden fairly well. I’m still lost as to what was coming through in the nose and taste. Never experienced anything like it.
EDIT: After reading another review I agree. The smell and taste is somewhat of overcooked vegetables. Not pleasant at all.

05-11-2007 17:40:43 | More by FtownThrowDown
kscaldef

Oregon

1.63/5  rDev -57.2%

Poured out promisingly enough, with a garnet color and decent head. Classic barleywine aromas of raisin, honey, and cherry, although this was a bit cold to really get a good sense of it. Unfortunately, all changed when I tasted it and got a mouthful of one of the foulest metallic brews I have ever encountered. Completely undrinkable. Gave it 30 minutes to see if warming up would help at all and regretted going back for another sip. Drain poured the rest.

05-23-2012 05:24:21 | More by kscaldef
Treebs

1.7/5  rDev -55.4%

12 oz. bottle served in a FW mini taster snifter.
Enjoy by 2013.

A: Pours a dark amber color with a light tan head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thick ring that leaves splotchy lace behind and sticky legs.

S: Cherry bubblegum and tart fruit skings. Really sweet, yet sharp. Light water cracker malts, toffee and a slightly metallic finish.

T: Sour and bitter. Cherry skins with a weird vegetal flavoring. Metallic with sharp twinge of vinegar.

M: Very drying, puckering and off putting. Hard to swallow any sips.

O: The bottle should read "Enjoy by Never". This wasn't a terrible infection, but it was definitely present. There was some rays of hope in the nose with some of the intended flavors of the beer, but the flavor profile was downright bad in the taste. Cannot recommend.

08-27-2012 18:48:33 | More by Treebs
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

12oz bottle that my sister grabbed for me when she was back in GA. Into a Deschutes Snifter. 6/13 best before date. This is my first Duck-Rabbit beer.

A: Turbid copper in color with a light tan head that foams up to about half an inch and quickly recedes, leaving behind a few spots of lacing and practically nothing reminiscent of a head.

S: Tart, like bretty/lacto infected tart? Um. Huh? Smells infected, and not much else behind it.

T: Infected, there's definitely something not right with this brew. Over attenuated, practically no malt flavors, slightly astringent alcohol, and decent hop bitterness. Definitely bretty and infected.

M: Thin, slightly overcarbonated but not necessarily boozy.

O: Wow, incredibly disappointed. This is clearly infected. If this is the brewer's intention, I have to say that I hate this. Brett and tartness in a barleywine just don't work for me.

05-03-2012 01:07:11 | More by pokesbeerdude
StoneTSR

Colorado

1.98/5  rDev -48%

APPEARANCE: Pours a nice, pleasant orange more akin to a Double IPA than to a Barleywine, but good looking nonetheless. A little hazy with a full finger of head that fades quickly.

SMELL: Banana, bread, orange and a little spice. Not too intense, but pleasant.

TASTE: This tastes overly citrusy with an orange and lemon pucker throughout. Not much else going on here.

MOUTHFEEL: It feels fine - light body with a light sparkle.

OVERALL: This is clearly not what others have tasted. Something is wrong and I hate that this is my first review for these guys. I've had some of their other beers in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them, just a shame they let this slip out.

10-16-2012 07:04:55 | More by StoneTSR

gueuzegossage

01-01-2013 05:05:39 | More by gueuzegossage
WorldWideStout

2.08/5  rDev -45.4%

I had a few ounces of this on tap around a month ago, but only remember that I found it to be too hoppy for an English-style barleywine. We shall see what the bottled version brings to the table.

A: Slightly redder than amber body that's fairly transparent. White head doesn't get much past one finger before receding with minimal lacing.

S: There's a sweetness right at the start, but it gives way to tropical, hoppy notes soon after. Odd for an english style. Alcohol phenols are also present.

T: Starts off alright, again with the sweetness, but things take a turn for the worse after this. Towards the middle some of that tropical hops flavor comes in, as well as hops bitterness, far too much of it for an english-style barleywine. Alcohol comes in at the middle as well, and dominates through the end, accompanied by a tingling, burning sensation in my mouth that I am not at all fond of. Aftertaste is alcohol and bitterness.

M: It could be worse I guess. I'd say that thicker would be better, but not with these flavors. Those burning pricks at the end of each sip don't help anything either.

D: I would have been more than happy to stop after a couple of sips.

Blech. I don't really understand why this isn't classified as an American-style barleywine - the hops are much more dominant than the malts. Regardless of which category it belongs in, this is a poor beer. I have a few more of these which I will age, but I'm not expecting great things. A very disappointing beer from a brewery I usually enjoy.

07-31-2010 03:11:54 | More by WorldWideStout
Floydster

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

12 ounce bottle received as an extra in a trade about a year ago, sorry I forgot who it was from, this bottle is from 2006 I know that much, drank tonight and poured into my funky Urthel glass

A-Deep brown and ruby red color, one inch light tan head, lasted forever, great retention, some nice lacing
S-Ash, lots of caramel, other dark fruits, burned sugar, candy, booze, oak, and dark berries
T-Started off with a pungent sweetness, then was dominated by alcohol, where are some dry accents or bready malt to battle out the fruit and toffee, almost repulsive, got even stronger as it warmed and never mellowed out, so much alcohol in here, lacked complexity and needed something else going on other than sheer strength
M-Sweet, boozy, and strong mouthfeel, medium to full bodied, needs more carbonation and crispness, taste never seemed to go away
D-Hard to get down, sweetness and hot sensation ruin it, super heavy on the stomach, ABV is high, overwhelming

I could not even drink four ounces of this stuff and I moved on to another beer shortly after, my dad did not even want it when I gave it to him, worst I have had from Duck Rabbit, will not drink this again, not recommended

08-28-2008 05:50:38 | More by Floydster
BeerFMAndy

2.28/5  rDev -40.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
11% ABV, Enjoy by 2, 6, 13 (I think...it's barely there) notched on the label.

Thanks Onenote81!

A - Deep lightly hazy copper in color, this barleywine is gorgeous and topped by a long-lasting ivory head that dots the snifter in delicate lacing.

S - Infection is starting to peek through an otherwise great-smelling beer. Behind the light sour, musty funk and phenolic band-aid nose rests bushels of deep malt. Pleasant dark fruits of plum and raisin skin emerge along side the caramel sweetness and overall dense bready aroma. This contains enough hoppiness, though, to be more akin to an American-style barleywine with it's hefty bitterness and citrus characteristics. Fusel alcohol definitely asserts itself into the aroma as well.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the aroma is ruined, but it's certainly well on it's way.

T - Hearty malts continue on in flavor, but this beer is overly ruined by it's infection. Sour bacteria and phenolic plastic invade it's every pore, sucking the life from the beer. I don't really want to go on at this point.

M - Full-bodied and chewy, there's quite a bit of sweetness, well-balanced by some bold lingering bitterness, but the problem lies in the strong tart, sourness. Oddly enough, even with my love of sour power, I can't dig it. Alcohol continues to be present, warming up the throat as it goes down.

O - Underneath the unfortunate infection problem, this barleywine shows real promise. Deep malts and hops seem to balance well. I look forward to trying this one when it's back on track; I bet it's pretty incredible.

I'll be honest though, I don't find this beer utterly undrinkable. After the initial shock, one could muscle through it if one was so inclined to look for it's alcohol effect. But sadly, I'll be drain-pouring this bottle in search of something else.

06-09-2012 01:59:50 | More by BeerFMAndy
pixieskid

Germany

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

I've had both good and bad experiences with Duck Rabbit and although the recent reviews were hit or miss I gave it a shot and unfortunately I ended up with what certainly seems like an infected bottle...

Pours a translucent mahogany hue with a solid 2 finger head...looked great!

Nose: nothing but vinegar and cherries...I suppose a bit of oak.

Taste: honestly, if I held my nose, this had the great makings of a solid barleywine...but, obviously that is an absurd way to consume something. There were notes of charred grains, dark fruits, oak, vanilla, lots of great things going on but that nose of vinegar and a twang of metal got the best of me.

Mouthfeel: slick yet fluffy, really nice actually.

Overall: don't know what the problem was but if it werent for the nose and finish of sourness, this would have been an interesting and well balance barleywine...bummer.

08-03-2012 04:42:19 | More by pixieskid

Soomars

03-11-2013 15:21:24 | More by Soomars
kevanb

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Duck-Rabbit snifter.

The beer pours a dark caramel color, hues of deep amber, brown and slight orange, extremely opaque and thick. A taught, firm khaki head appears, rising about a finger high, moderate retention and a fair amount of sticky lace is left behind. The aroma is bitter, earthy hops, crisp and a bit of spice, burnt brown sugar, caramel and rich, sugary dark grains. It unfortunately lacks any fruit presence and reads as just bitter and earthy. The flavors are powerfully bitter, no balance or complexity, just waves of earthy hops, hop spice and astringent alcohol. Light brown sugar, caramel and rich grain are present, like in the nose, but they are dominated by the bitterness, nothing sweet really shines. The body is rich, a little over carbonated for my tastes, crisp, although fairly thick and coating. The finish is a bit dry and crass, could be creamier and softer for sure.

Verdict: An unfortunate disaster. Overly simple, but not refined in any way, too bitter, too astringent and just unpleasant. Perhaps the high levels of carbonation are a sign of slight infection? I can't quite say, the flavors don't appear to be "off" other than they just aren't that good.

01-02-2014 21:10:40 | More by kevanb
darklordlager

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

Interesting beer. As others have noted, it does have an interesting "sour citrus" note to it. It may be infected. A bit odd really. Lime, kiwi, tropical fruits--very unlike any barleywine I've ever had. Finishes with a sour/bitter note as if you had just eaten a kiwi coated in lime juice (sounds weird, but it is actually kind of pleasant/enjoyable). Lightly vegetal, but not offensively so. Perhaps a light, oxidized "sherry" note, but it is hard to tell with all that lime/citrus upfront.

Odd. Interesting. Enjoyable to a point (about halfway through and it becomes too much).
I am intrigued, yet put off after the first 1/2. It becomes astringently sour--must be some sort of infection, unless they add an odd fruit they do not disclose.

10-21-2012 05:56:04 | More by darklordlager
axeman9182

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

12 oz bottle with a notched "best by" of June 2013. It was allowed to warm some before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Duck Rabbit Barleywine Ale pours a color that's something between amber and mahogany, with no visibility through the glass possible. Maybe two fingers of cream colored foam top the beer and hang around for just a bit before fading. Lacing is spotty. The nose features aromas of caramel, fig, and alcohol. There's also a background fruitiness that's just... odd, and a little out of place. The flavor opens with a healthy swirl of caramel. Just as a little bit of bitterness is coming into the picture, what certainly tastes like an infection comes into the picture. There's a slight medicinal twang to it, and a lime fruitiness that just clashes with everything that came before it. The infection hasn't impacted the mouthfeel too badly yet. The body is a little bit lighter than it should be, but the carbonation isn't too active yet. I've had other vintages of Duck Rabbit's barleywine that were pretty nice, but something definitely went wrong with at least part of this batch.

12-30-2012 08:53:13 | More by axeman9182
maximum12

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

Thanks to marcpal for this one, I'm always willing & eager to pop open a barelywine I've never tasted before. Let the popping begin!

Well, I've never experienced that before. Pouring the beer leads me to wonder if I'd just poured milk into a bowl of Rice Krispies, the head was popping & hissing clearly for several seconds after the end of the pour. Freaking weird! It's gotta real purty mouth, too, ruby red just the way I like it.

Smell is...rubbing alcohol? I might have to transplant some hair from ears to my nose after a whiff, the alcohol presence is epic.

But who cares about that? What's important is the taste, & it's, it's, got a strange funk to it. After a couple of sips, not a pleasant funk. More like the funk of your scrubbing sponge when it's been sitting wet in the sink for a week or two. Hmmmm. There is some dank fruit, & the alcohol is surpisingly subdued, but the must overpowers the positive aspects. It does get somewhat better as it warms.

Too bad; maybe a bad bottle? The run-up to the actual tasting was great, but ultimately this beer doesn't hold up it's end of the bargain.

12-31-2008 03:09:30 | More by maximum12
Georgiabeer

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

I'm a big fan of the other Duck Rabbit big beers, so I was really looking forward to trying this one. Unfortunately, this beer is out of whack and in my opinion not at all in the same caliber as their other beers. Next time I'll try it again from the bottle and let it age some and see if it improves. Pours dark amber with a big head that lasts surprisingly long given the high abv. The smell is surprisingly light and has a vegetal note to it, (tomato?) that is a little offputting. The taste has more tomato and on top of that is way too sweet. Strong, alcoholic sugar water with a tomato tinge? No thanks! The flavor is just bizarre. I would put this down to the keg being off if it hadn't been served to me by the brewery at the Hickory Hops fest. The mouthfeel is creamy, but also a little too slick. This one is not utterly bad, but its got some flavors going on that I just don't find that palatable. I'm not sure what went wrong here, but I think this beer probably doesn't belong on draft.

06-27-2007 18:19:12 | More by Georgiabeer