Duck-Rabbit Duck-Rabbator - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 06-22-2009

The Duck-Rabbator Dopplebock is a powerfully malty German-style lager. The malty / grainy flavors so dominate this beer, it's like a whole loaf of bread in every glass! Is it a beverage or is it a meal? It's both.
3.71/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle with the usual Duck Rabbit symbol on the front. There are two things separating this label with their other labels. This one has a gold background and the Duck Rabbit has gray ram horns coming out of its head. Off to the sides is the Government warning, brewery's address, and a notched best before date.

When poured into a Paulaner Salvator Pilsner glass, this southern Doppelbock was a semi hazy dark mahogany brown with a burgundy center. It was a rather interesting color. The red center was a nice touch to this beer. On top of this brew was a nice little head of foam. The initial head of foam was between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in height and light tan in color. It had great retention that left behind a small tan film and a ton of tan sticky streaks of lace around the glass. The film on top of the beer lasted until the last drop of beer was gone.

This Doppelbock was more sweet than roasted. The first aroma that I picked up was the sweet lightly roasted malts. After the malts had their fun in the sun, in comes a pinch of caramel, a touch of milk chocolate, and a subtle whiff of black cherry. The aroma as a whole was a little too faint for my liking. If they would have pumped up the aroma just a little more, this would have been a great aroma.

While the aroma was sweet, the taste was more dry and roasted. The first taste that I found was of course the dry roasted malt. Waiting behind the malt was a pinch of milk chocolate, a drop of molasses, a dab of caramel, and a sprinkle of roasted coffee beans. After all that, this beer then finishes up with a gentle touch of roasted hops. The hops were more roasted than bitter. A little more sweetness wouldn't have hurt this beer at all.

This was a straight up medium bodied dry roasted Doppelbock. As for the aftertaste, that was filled with dry roasted malt, roasted coffee beans, a pinch of caramel, a drop of molasses, and a big bite of alcohol. At least the alcohol wasn't overpowered. Even though I could taste the alcohol, I couldn't feel it.

Not a bad Doppelbock! It had an interesting color, a sweet aroma, a dry roasted taste, and an alcoholic mouthfeel. I think this NC brewery did a good job. The aroma could have been better, but everything else was good. Would I drink another one? Yeah, I wouldn't mind another single. (2,318 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a snifter. Not sure of the age on this but I know it has been in my fridge for a year or so.

Pours a clear dark brown with a slight reddish tint. A very small light brown head is quick to fade leaving a thin ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma is full of brown sugar, caramel, and toffee. There is a slight metallic note which seems a little off to me. There are also some faint grassy aromas. Overall it is pretty weak.

This weakness carries over into the taste which is really quite underwhelming. Plenty of caramel and brown sugar but there is a strong vegetal character which becomes a little off-puting after awhile. It is very DMS like and I almost wonder if this is an unintended flaw. It isn't bad for awhile but it does start to limit drinkability. Alcohol is well-hidden but the mouthfeel is on the watery side.

Overall, I am very unimpressed with this offering from Duck Rabbit. There is just an overall lack of everything from the aroma to the flavor to the mouthfeel. Way too much DMS and a lack of much malt or hops. Maybe this has improved since the batch I got but I really can't recommend. (1,130 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. smell is of malts, alcohol, caramel, some dark fruits. Taste is a bit boozy. Some dark fruit and malts, alcohol is prevelent. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer. (265 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish snifter

A- pours a very dark brown with a half finger tan head. The head fades quickly and isn't very dense, but it's solid all the way across the glass. Very dark for a dopplebock.

S- very metallic aroma. Common among many of the Duck Rabbit beers I've had. Light bit of sweetness. Not pleasant at all

T- sweet tasting. Very malty. Maybe a little bit of honey coming through. Candi sugar also there. No heat at all

M- body is reasonably thick, but isn't syrupy. As I just said, no heat. Definitely a sipper

O- not much of a dopplebock guy, but this isn't bad. A little too malty and sweet for my tastes, but definitely enjoyable over the course of time (694 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -26.7%

12oz bottle. Approx 9 mo's old, so maybe too old for proper review (is that possible for this style?)

Pours very nicely, with about 1F of tan/brown head over a very dark, almost opaque amber body. Great lacing.

Aromas are timid. Wet cardboard up front, then molasses in the back with pencil lead. Touch of faint English hops, if I pull really hard.

Flavors and mouthfeel are dull / muted / dirty. Lots of mineral water, with molasses, cherry, oak, and earthy herbal quality giving the flavor. Somewhat disappointing (given the hype), but not necessarily "bad".

Mouthfeel is pretty thin for the style. Dull, tangy, and leaves a film on the tongue (not unusual for the style). Could've used more body.

I really should've reviewed some of the earlier Doppelbocks I had from this mixed case, as maybe I've left it in the cellar too long, given the discrepancy between my experience and the overall BA community. (918 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into my Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Deep, murky brown with copper coloring when held up to light. 1.5 finger tan head that dissipates to a thin cap pretty fast but leaves some lacing.

S: Molasses and dark fruit, very inviting.

T: Thick and bready malt bomb with some dark fruit and slight booziness; the taste wants to stay around, and that's a good thing. Taste was very much to style, I'd say.

M: Smooth and silky, goes down oh so easily.

O: As stated, I feel this brew is very true to the traditional doppelbock style. I have a soft spot for a killer doppelbock and this baby delivers the goods. I searched for this brew for over two years and it was definitely worth the wait. I can heartily recommend searching it out. (735 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

I had this on tap expecting an awesome doppelbock, but got something else. It looked good, nice deep amber color, good off white head. The smell was ok, malty, a little whiff of pepper. The taste was off, it was way too sweet, and not malty sweet, it was cherry sweet, no bitterness. I took a drink of water to make sure it wasn't something else, nope same thing. It was thick and chewy, low carbonation. I am bummed by this, I love a good doppelbock. (451 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A- a murky brown with ruby highlights. A finger of dark khaki head, which dissipates fairly quickly, a little lacing down the glass.

S- Dark fruit, molasses, and hint of butterscotch and vanilla.

T- The dark fruits (dark cherries, plums) and molasses dominate, a little booze is present as well, and some hints of vanilla/butterscotch/oak are on the backend as well.

M- Prickly medium carbonation, dry on the finish, and perhaps a bit too much for a doppel.

O- Top tier doppelbock. Not in Ayinger Celebrator's league, but not far from it. (579 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Served on tap at The Brick Store Pub September 11, 2012. Reviewed from notes.

(Appearance) Deep brown body, light brown mocha cream head. Good retention. Nice appearance. 4.5

(Smell) Heavy aromas of butterscotch caramel malt and vanilla. Potency is high. Nice. 4

(Taste) Vanilla, toffee, Dark fruits, oaken caramel malts. Mild roasted finish; slightly dry. 4

(Mouthfeel) Slight prickly carbonation, mild thickness. Body is medium/heavy, alcohol presence is mild. Nice balance, could be a bit smoother.3

(Overall) Quite enjoyable. Although a bit heavy on the caramel and vanilla, I found the flavors to be enjoyable. I would recommend a thicker body and a lower carbonation or creamier texture. Still a nice beer from Duck Rabbit. 4

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery's
Duck-Rabbitor Doppelbock
3.93/5.00 (804 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Duck Rabbit Duck-Rabbator Doppelbock

Poured from growler on 9/17 with the Thomasville Beer Club.

Deep Brown in appearance, barely translucent. Looks like burnt caramel. Frothy 2 finger head dissipates to lace on top.

Molasses hits the nose with a slight breadiness on the finish.

Wow, nice toffee flavor that carries over with a molasses note. Plums, raisins, cherries... There's some maple notes, finishes strong. No booze present.

Mouthfeel is chewy with a medium/full body. Clings on the palate for dear life!

Overall it's pretty awesome! I didn't check the ABV until after I tasted it and I'm pretty shocked. This beer masks its alcohol very well with its full body. (676 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Growler filled at 5 points in Athens, GA.
A: dark amber cherry maple brown, light brown head that slowly fades

S: dark fruits, plum, raisin, cherry, maple syrup,

M: creamy, medium body, carbonation

T: dark fruits, slight hoppiness, toffee, dark roast malt, coffee like bitterness

O: great selection, must try (313 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Re-review of 2012 batch. First bottle was an infected mess. 2nd bottle is definitely better. Score will be an average of the two as I'm sure there are other infected bottles floating around out there, and infections have become so common for these guys that one pretty much has to expect it going in to any of their beers.

Similar color/clarity, but the head retains much better and leaves more lacing.

Aroma is roasted malts, hints of dark fruit, chocolate, toffee, molasses, grains, bread, a touch smoky. Moderate to good strength.

Flavor is dark malts, somewhat roasted, dark fruits, cherries, raisins, chocolate, caramel, toffee, molasses, some astringent malt bitterness, moderate sweetness for the style, grains, some herbal hops, bit of alcohol, tinge funky.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sticky, creamy, moderate carbonation.

Much better this time around. Hopefully the infection is isolated, but I'd definitely recommend drinking these now in case it starts getting worse...

Score 3.43: Appearance 4.0, Smell 3.0, Taste 3.5, Feel 3.5, Overall 3.5

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Original review: Score 1.9: Appearance 2.0, Smell 1.5, Taste 2.0, Feel 2.0, Overall 2.0.

12oz bottle, best by May 2013. Served at around 55F.

Pours clear brown with red highlights and a one finger brown head that leaves no lacing and recedes to a just a small ring and eventually nothing at all.

Aroma is sour fruit, sweaty gym socks, funky, cardboard, infected mess. Goddammit Duck-Rabbit.

Flavor is sweet dark malts, dark fruit, sour notes. Not as funky as the aroma, but the signs of infection are here. This is only gonna get worse with time. Definitely got that Duck-Rabbit "wang" goin’ on.

Mouthfeel is light/medium bodied, sticky, very little carbonation.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle, as the reviews are generally positive for this one, but it’s got all the Infected Duck-Rabbit characteristics going on aside from the gigantic head...in fact this one is nearly flat after the initial pour. Aroma in particular reminds me a lot of their 2012 Barleywine disaster. Never had a sour or funky Doppelbock before, so I’ve got to assume this is not what the brewer was shooting for. In an effort to be fair, I will try one more bottle just in case this one was an anomaly and will adjust my review accordingly if needed. As it stands right now, this is a terrible Doppelbock. Fought through half the glass, but the rest is going down the drain... (2,470 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

The chestnut colored body clear, and the beige head was fed by gentle carbonation. The smell was ripe with figs, dates, cherries, and dark raisins. The taste was not as sweet as I had anticipated. The malts appeared to be well roasted, giving a bitter coffee effect at first sip. This was followed by a fruity tartness, semi-sweet powdered cocoa, and a woody, dry finish. This was a surprisingly complex juxtaposition of flavors for the style. The body was not as silky smooth as the best examples of the style. Quite a different experience from others of this style. (567 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Dark brown, almost opaque body with a two-finger head that last about a minute, leaving nice lacing when it subsides.

S: Dark, ripe fruits, then taffy, and then a tinge of smokiness at the end.

T: Starts off with plums and prunes. In the middle, toffee and taffy come into play with some notes of espresso and roast as well. The dark fruits make a slight resurgence towards the end. Just as in the nose, there is a hint of smoke at the end as an aftertaste, though it doesn't linger long. I'd give the taste a higher score than the nose for added complexity, but none of the flavors are bold, and the taste is especially muted towards the end of each sip.

M: There is a slight tingling from the bubbles throughout almost the entire sip. The body itself is perhaps slightly thinner than usual, but had a nice creamy feel to it, not unlike Duck Rabbit's milk stout.

O: Definitely a good beer. At this point in my taste buds' career, I want flavors that are a bit stronger, but I appreciate the high drinkability for a fairly alcoholic beer, and the many subtle flavors. Even if I did appreciate the balance more, however, I feel that a doppelbock should ram you with its two horns (I'm so clever) a bit more roughly. If the malty, toffee flavor could be a bit more rich, and then you could discern the others flavored I mentioned, just a little more faintly, I think this beer would be outstanding. (1,405 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a slightly hazy dark amber color with a thick head that dies down to a soapy film of bubbles. A strong caramel aroma with some peat and a touch of cherry. Very clean aroma. A bit of toasted malt flavor at first that blends with a bit of cherry and a nice butterscotch flavor. A medium feel with a nice smooth body and a bit of syrup. Coats the tongue with a sweet finish. On par with Optimator and Salvator. Another dangerous session beer....great flavor and you can't detect any alcohol. (494 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.2%

I was curious about this one, so I picked up a bottle earlier today. Glad I tried it, but I don't think this merits a 6-pack as Duck Rabbit's Schwarzbier or Hoppy Bunny do.

It's a bit too sweet- the sweetness overpowers the delicate flavors that I would otherwise expect in a lager. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not getting that much out of this. Sad, because I have liked many of their other offerings, and want to keep supporting someone focused on dark beers. I guess I'll be doing it with their other beers.

Mainly, considering the $14/6-pack it costs, I'd prefer to buy a fair amount of other things for $10. So I'm glad I tried it, but also glad I got a single bottle for $3. (698 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Re-review

12oz bottle best by 4/2014. Consumed on 8/10/13. Into a shaker

Pours a dark reddish/brown with just under an inch thick off white head. The smell is malty, bready, caramely and a tad sweet. Very solid scent. The taste remains true to form, big malt backbone followed by a wave of caramel sweetness and it finishes off with a good bit of alcohol bitterness too. Very nice. 8.5% ABV is apparent, as this one has a bit of a kick to it. It works well here though. Heavier side of medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall a very solid offering from Duck Rabbit. This was the first real beer I loved from them and the 2013 batch is no different. For some reason these are only going for $7.49/6 pack right now and at that price I'm going to be picking up a case. (775 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8%

On tap at Sessions in Greensboro.

A - dark caramel-purple with a big brown head that has great retention

S - caramel, sugar

T - caramel, sugar, dark fruit, figs, raisins, faint bitterness, a bit buttery

M - full bodied, well carbonated

This is a very nicely flavored doppelbock. It's complex and very drinkable with a well hidden ABV. This is another solid offering from Duck Rabbit. (388 characters)

In a recent trip to Asheville, NC (Beer-halla) I walked into one of the best beer stores in the country, the Thirsty Monk. If you know me, I am the hyperboleistic sort. Everything is like the best ever. However, this is an exception. By this point in my life, I have tried around a thousand beers (about 500 of which reside in my bottle collection and 150 on my Taco Mac Brewniversity. In that laundry list, I have my loves; St. Bernardus Prior 8 and Abt. 12, Brooklyn Black Ops, Left Hand Milk Stout, Great Lakes Christmas, Wild Heaven Ode to Mercy, among many, but this beer has been special.

As a brewery, Duck Rabbit is impressive. While none of their beers, until now have been my favorite of a style, many have been quite close. Their recipes are classic, but crisp and refreshing. Their styles are within their comfort zone, but push the envelope. Their Doppelbock, however, is perfect.

I know what you are thinking, only Hoffmann could have a style I have not heard of as a favorite beer. First of all, listen, while this beer is in my current top five, there is no favorite to a beer lover, it is what feels right at that moment. Second, anyone would like a doppelbock if they had a good one. A doppelbock will look like a dark brown ale, brown porter, or light colored stout. It is smooth and malty; perhaps even creamy. While having subtle roast qualities, it is sweet and light. If you drink this and you had no other beer experience other than a Bud or Pabst, you may think it was a girl beer or soda, but they are so much more.

Duck Rabbit Doppelbock is not much to look at. The logo is cool, but the color is a deep brown and the head was a wispy white, that is where the standard aspects end. The body was rich, but not heavy; highly drinkable. The smell and flavor were malty chocolate, with subtle roasting. They are cleanly fermented, but complex. The scent is amazing and the flavors are rich. If you have never tried such a beer, please go and try it; you will never be the same.

http://www.dudeletter.com/?p=1303 (2,039 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours auburn with 3+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Brown sugar & breadyness

T: Follows the nose, caramel, leafy hops & dryness up front. Slight boozeyness as this warms, more brown sugar, woody dryness that kind of detracts from an otherwise great take on the style. Finishes dry & bready & spicy

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, warming & dry

Pretty drinkable, not world-class, but pretty decent. However, at $14 a sixer, I would probably pass on this one again in bottled form. This one did grow on me as it warmed... (560 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish mahogany color with a finger of fluffy off white head that sticks around pretty well but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell: Lots of grain and sweetness along with some caramel and raisins. This smells like a malt bomb.

Taste: Like the smell, the flavor is quite sweet from the grains. Full of caramel and dark fruits with some warming alcohol and a slight bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side of medium with tingly carbonation and an extremely dry finish. Just a bit chalky.

Overall: This beer was just what I wanted tonight. Full of malt goodness. It would be extremely good if it were a bit smoother, but I really enjoyed it. (751 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Purchased Peabody's Beer & Wine, in Boone, NC.

A - In the sun light a deep reddish brown with good carbonation and a thin consistent tan foam. Indoor light the beer is a deep brown with reddish hints.

S - Malts, Raisin, Dates, hints of alcohol. The aroma is very inviting that you want to taste the beer.

T - Malts, sweetness of dark fruits, some bitterness of hops, a good sting of alcohol with a good aftertaste of all the ingredients.

M - A good full feel in each taste no matter the sip or full taste. The flavor is really good and makes you want more.

O - I really enjoy this beer. I have had this last beer of a 6 pack since August '11 so it has aged about 6 months on top of the brewing/aging timeline. I look forward to getting to NC so I can get somemore. (769 characters)

A - A deep hazy brown not as clear as other reps of the style but I love the head since it's slightly tan and very creamy.

S - Wow that's good like rum soaked raisin bread! Other notes of tartness or alcohol is over exaggerated.

T - The flavors of dark fruits, bready malts, high ABV (most I ever seen for the style) and creamy finish are all very balanced.

M - Not something I would have more than one a sitting it was medium to heavy bodied.

Overall this beer company impresses me every time with beers and to make a dopplebock almost 9% this smooth and creamy is exceptional. I would buy it more often if I could find it in more places. (644 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -7%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Darker brown with pronounced red highlights, thick three-finger light tan head that recedes to a thin layer. Little lacing to speak of.

The nose is not overpowering-sweet malts, dark chocolate, ripe fruits such as figs, dates, and cherries.

The aromas play out a little stronger on the tongue. The sweetness of the malts is balanced pretty nicely by a toasted nut flavor, along with a touch of cherry tartness.

Maybe not as big in the body as I was expecting, but still pretty good. The tartness lingers a little longer than I would like, and the carbonation is sort of middle of the road.

Overall a good beer that I would purchase again. (674 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip, bottle dating is not notched. Pours crystal clear dark reddish brown color with a nice 2 finger fairly dense tan head with nice retention that reduces to a thin cap that sticks around. Small bits of lacing on the glass. Aromas of big caramel, biscuit, chocolate, molasses, toasted malts, dark fruits, and spicy hops. Very nice aromas here with good balance. Taste of big caramel, toasted malt, chocolate, molasses, biscuit, dark fruit, spiciness, and a bit of booze. Lingering notes of caramel, molasses, toasted malt, biscuit, and spices on the finish for a bit. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel. Alcohol has a decent presence with a decent warming on the finish. Overall a very nice and impressive doppelbock. The alcohol presence is a bit much, but overall still very enjoyable. (867 characters)

Duck-Rabbit Duck-Rabbator from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery