Duck-Rabbit Schwarzbier - The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Duck-Rabbit SchwarzbierDuck-Rabbit Schwarzbier

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: on 07-30-2009)

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark bee, almost black, that's a little transparent when held up to the light. Small bit of off-white head that didn't leave anything on the sides.

S - Roasted malts, coffee, little bit of chocolate, some yeast, mild hop aroma.

T - Chocolate with some roasted malt, coffee, little bit of hops, hints of licorice, some yeast. It's pretty solid.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Not a bad beer, particularly for a style that often ends up boring. Would drink this again.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance is dark brown-to-black with a finger of head that dissipated rather quickly. Good, hearty roasted malt profile upfront, but this offering thins out at the end. There is also an odd sour taste on the finish that I cannot quite place, but it is less than pleasant.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

A: pours very dark basically black. Short lasting head, was brown, no lacing and no halo.
S: not much aroma to me, a bit of roasted/toasted bread. A bit of caramel but not much else.
T: dark roasted malt, light hint of coffee. A little touch of smoke.
M: thin but not watery, good carbonation.
O: lagers aren't my forte, but I like this, roasty and toasty not heavy at all. Easy drinking beer.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Yet another bottle from Deuane and his bucket of bad luck. I have no idea how old this one is...

A - Pours very dark brown, bordering on black, with a nice one and a half finger tall off-white head leaving spotty lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of dark roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and the faintest hint of citric hops. I am pretty sure that if this was a bit fresher I would have liked this one even more.

T - Starts off with a big dose of dark roasted malt slowly giving way to hints of coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, and the faintest of hints of hop bitterness. The finish is a mix of dark roast and light sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Dark, toasty, feel with plenty of it sticking around through the finish. A bit stale and one dimensional. It could have used a bit of that hop bitterness I detected in the nose.

O - Not too bad. I enjoyed it for what it was I just think it was a bit too old. I may have to seek out a fresher bottle of this one in the future.

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - BB Nov. 2009

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color with an aggressive head that builds quickly. A 2", light tan head shows great retention. Some spotty lace streaks down the glass.

Smell: Very well roasted malt smells like burnt toast and heavy espresso. Dark chocolate mixes with lager yeast aromas. Not much sugar.

Taste: A semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor mixes with burnt toast and an oatmeal/milk stout creamy feel. Lager yeast and some small alcohol finishes the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Burnt, toasted mouthfeels are full of tannin-like bitterness. Smoke and a touch of sweetness are finished by some alcohol.

Drinkability: This black lager has lots of dark, burnt flavors that could become cloying after a few beers. For that reason, it isn't so much of a session beer. Good for the cold fall and winter nights.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Dark brown, almost black, with reddish-maroon highlights. Head dies quickly with minimal lacing.

S: Licorice and dark roasted malts. Some coffee notes and dark fruit.

T&M: Definitely complex. Similar to a belgian double. Dark chocolate, coffee, and pumpernickel bread. Some mild hops find its way through. Definitely some smokey flavors are in there as well. Prominent licorice on the fade. Light bodied and smooth with a gentle carbonation.

Drinkable and complex, great beer from "the dark beer specialist."

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with noticeable brown hues along the edges…head is a light mocha, but very thin and dissipates even after a good swirl…dark and dense though…(3.25/5)

Smell: Tons of dark malts, I’m getting dry chocolate, oatmeal and roasted malt – an RIS/porter feel right off the bat…a little smoky…full, deep aroma…mildly astringent when I stick my nose deep in there…this really is a good smelling ale, but not overly diverse…dark malts are abundant and abound…it’s nice…(3.5/5)

Taste: Hmm…my initial feel is that its tastes like a non-hoppy black IPA…I’m getting tons of roasted malts (and maybe some barley), light oatmeal, light chocolate – then it sorta stops and where I’d expect a bitter, hoppy bite, there’s a soft, grassy/wheaty-ness that doesn’t attack my taste buds…oatmeal flavor stands out…very nice…(3.75/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…carbonation is also light, but enough to bring a nice roasted malt/light oatmeal flavor to the palate…this thing is hitting the back of my tongue with awesome flavor, but brings little in the bitterness (sides of tongue) category…wet, smooth and crisp…after taste fades leaving me wanting more…an easy, malty sipper for sure…(3.5/5)

Overall: I’m very surprised by what I got from a “black lager”…I typically don’t choose lagers when selecting beers at the store, but with this being a Duck-Rabbit production, I took a chance…unfortunately, I only got one because this thing drinks very easy and packs tons of dark, malty flavor…this is a great brew for hanging with friends around a fire or watching some football in a recliner…yum! certainly a seasonal that is fading out, if you see this hanging around your beer store, grab one and enjoy! (3.5/5)

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Received as an extra from Macky20. Thanks Matt! I really enjoyed trying this interesting brew. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: This beer pours black in color with a nice 1 finger mocha head. There is moderate head retention and nice lacing.

S: espresso, toffee, chocolate, and a bit of peanut butter are the main whiffs I get. Overall, this is a complex smelling beer and wonderfully balanced.

T: Disappointingly not as good as the smell. The taste starts out good, but the finish just feels watered down and tasteless. At the start I get some coffee, toast, and some unexpected hops. Then all taste fades away and I feel like I'm drinking a flat soda.

M: Probably my biggest complainant about this beer is that it feels like an IPA. While the flavors are great, I would just like a little bit more body to the feel and a tad more of an aftertaste and a little less carbonation.

D: Pretty good drinkability. The initial flavors are pretty good, it goes down easy and is on the thin side.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Dark and black in color except when held to light you can get a lighter brown towards the bottom of the glass...an off white head formed and fell as quickly into a wispy cap and a ring...some lacing

S - Holy roasted malts! The roastiness takes full control of the aroma...malts, espresso beans, and cocoa beans have all been roasted...a hint of caramel sweetness and some vanilla

T - The roasted characteristic stands out in the flavor but it comes to the point where it starts tasting a little burnt...they might not be burnt but there's a lot of roastiness going on...all the flavors from the nose are present...you get a hint of caramel followed by vanilla in the middle...hints of lactose are present in the middle...the beer ends with a bitterness from the cocoa and espresso beans

M - Medium bodied...smooth, slick, and creamy

D - This was my first Schwarzbier and I did a side-by-side with the one from Sam Adams...this was a nice beer but it reminded me more of a milk stout/regular stout...I'm looking forward to try Duck Rabbit's other dark beers

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

12oz bottle purchased from Beverage World in Ft. Oglethorpe $2. These guys are the dark beer specialists so I'm sure this will be cool and if they were going to make a lager I guess it would be a dark one. Dark brown, almost black. Smells like rich malts, not bad at all. Flavor is dark lager, reminds me a bit of Full Sail Session black but might be a notch up taste-wise. I would love to be able to get Duck Rabbit Porter and Milk Stout on a regular basis.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Ive heard that awful I word thrown around about this one.

Pour is pitch black with a huge thick frothy light toffee-colored head.

I get alot of smooth coffee and chocolate on the nose, with a hint of light cherry that reminds me of the bottle of their Rabbid Duck I had.

The roasted malt comes out straight away, and I like that. Loads of powdered black chocolate and a bit of toasted coffee. But it competes with sour cherry from what I think is that awful "I" word. I like the base Schwarzbier. Its very toasted and roasted malt, and with no real body.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

I was worried at first because it sounded and looked like I had poured a cola into the glass. A lot of sizzle and an active head with bursting microbubbles. But then it settled down I was able to pour more into the glass and raise the head well above the rim of the Duck-rabbit tulip I got in a BIF trade. As I continued to pour, the top of the head began to look the top of a soft-serve cone...coffee flavored. Absolutely awesome!

Roasted malts mixed with German hops make up the nose, smelling a little like a Baltic porter, for anyone not familiar with a schwarzbier. For anyone not familiar with a Baltic porter that means some dark fruits and a vinous quality amid roasted malts and a touch of hops. In this case the hops, being German, give off a bit of floral.

The taste is a bit disappointing, but still good. There's a metallic tang, like licking a penny...go ahead try it...you know you want to. But beneath that are the roasted malts and the hops. The copper tang lessens as the beer warms, but is still pretty distracting. This does not seem to often be an issue with this beer, so I'm assuming it is either this batch or this bottle. No one knows where metallic tastes comes from (even some think they know), but the only theory I could check was the bottle cap and it seemed fine.

The beer was a little over-carbonated, as I suspected from the initial pour, so there was a bit of tingle in the mouth, but it didn't lessen the body considerably.

I feel that this could be a phenomenal brew. I'll need to get another bottle to confirm that this is an anomaly. If I can, then I will surely change my score in the Taste category.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

I'm always happy to see Duck-Rabbit coming out with new styles, especially since so few breweries are committed to dark beers year-round. The pour is gorgeous--as black as beer can get. The nose and taste aren't quite on par with the best schwarzbiers yet; the Einbecker Schwarzbier is much more robust and malty. Still, it's exciting to see an American brewery giving this style a go. Definitely worth checking out.

Duck-Rabbit Schwarzbier from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery