Southern Pale Ale - Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.

Southern Pale AleSouthern Pale Ale

Malts: Maris Otter, Cara Vienna, Munich Malt, Cara Munich

Hops: Magnum, Cascade, Cascade dry hop

Yeast: Chico No. 2, 1272
Ratings: 317 | Reviews: 93

I rarely do formal reviews of beers I have at festivals, on principle. I do, though make a few exceptions:
1) The first beer of the day at a festival
2) Brews that so completely blow me out of the water that I simply must stop, find some blank pages, and wax eloquent.
Natty Greene's Southern Pale Ale, served in its cask-conditioned state at Brewgrass '09, is one such.

I tend to have a crush on cask beers in general, but this one is an all-out infatuation. Bursting at the seams with that dry-hop aroma, and juicily rich as it coats my tongue, lingering on the palate like a sacramental memory, I'm kicking myself for not simply camping out by the Natty Greene tent for the rest of the day and drinking the cask dry.

It just might be time for a road trip to Greensboro.

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

Very very very Bad Ass

4.67/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best beer in North Carolina. If you can find a better pale ale, please let me know but on tap or out of the bottle this beer is unparalleled. It has slowly swept NC by storm and is the #1 selling beer on the Outer Banks. Sit on the beach and drink this one and tell me there is something better. Very crisp, refreshing, not overbearing but just simple. It has hints of citrus or grapefruit that make it leave a great flavor in your mouth.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Light/medium clear amber body with an beautiful head; some lacing on the way down

Smell: Wonderfully assertive floral aroma

Taste: Grapefruit hoppiness that jumps out at you is if the brew were pretensions of being an IPA; nice and bitter with a very restrained maltiness

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Another winner from the Natty Greene's line-up; this is a brew that will provide pleasure for hours

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

This is an outstanding Pale Ale by any measure. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, 5.2% ABV. From the labeling codes appears the bottle is 28 days old.

The color is a nice copper and is cloudy, but also clear, sort of a mix. Not sure if this beer is filtered or not. Lacing on the glass is outstanding.

Smell is sweet and piney hops. The taste is hope, but also has the malt "backbone" for balance. Hopefully this review helps.

This is one of the most flavorful and well balanced Pale Ale's I have had. I have been drinking Natty Greene's for years, and the beer just keep getting better everytime I drink one.

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

With a very ample white head, this pale ale displays a clear light copper appearance and a trail of nice lacing. The aroma is of skunky citrus/floral hops, a very fair summation of a solid IPA actually. The flavor happily lives up to the nose and more. This seems modeled somewhat after Sierra Nevada's champion brew which won't get any complaints from me. This may even be a bit more hoppy with a biscuit laced citrus theme. It's very drinakable for any hop fan. It's well carbonated and quite refreshing, medium bodied, delivering a light enough feel while still being relatively substantial. While you might argue that this is not very unique, or some that it's more of an IPA than a standard pale ale, it's damn good and impressed me thoroughly.

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Palesw are the first brew I order at any new place I go to. Almost always a great policy (or me anyways).

A golden/light orange colour with a chunky, rocky, pure white head that lasts.

Strong citrusy-hop nose, very pleasing.

Thick citrus and pine hop forwardness with a solid, bitter pale-malt. Very balnced for such a big hop. This is why I love pales over IPAs.

Smooth medium body that finishes fairly clean for such a heavily hopped pale.

What can I say, I love a solid Pale!

Cheers!!

4.29/5  rDev +19.2%

Picked up a few six-packs of this brewery's beers while out of town for Thanksgiving and was really impressed.

-Appearance 3.5: Poured out with a small head that shrunk quickly, but stuck around on the sides and floating around the top. This alone was appealing, but the deep golden color is beautiful. No visible carbonation bubbles.

-Smell 4.5: Wow! BIG hop aroma to this IPA and...yes, that is unusual. This baby has an aroma that smells like hops, not adjunct or metal or any "etc." I also smell a slight barley note in the bouquet. This is how an IPA should smell.

-Taste 4.5: I feel a slight bitterness with the first swallow and this turns quickly into a deep hoppy taste. I mean deeper than your typical IPA; if you've ever smelled fresh hops, that smell is this taste. This quickly changes into a different hoppy taste, much more in line with the typical IPA alkaline hoppiness. A long, dry finish follows which distinguishes this IPA from many, many others.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Creamy, with a great mid-level carbonation. Very good.

-Overall 4.0: Excellent IPA. This IPA may not be from the Left Coast, but it is amazing and is highly recommended. It is a whopping 7.2% ABV according to the bottle, but I could taste NONE of it in the beer. Delicious! If you can find it, BUY IT!

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow an oasis in a beer wasteland I already like this place,their plae ale pours a deep golden with a nice sticky,frothy head,more of a mlat dominated aroma of biscuit and light caramel but with a touch of piney hop.A very well balanced brew a firm lightly sweet malt backbone with a piney hop flavor that comes to make this a well balanced flavorsome beer.I could drink beers like this all day if it wasnt for the wife I would still be there drinking some.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle -> Dogfish Head glass

This one pours up a hazy gold with a gargantuan white head that made me initally think I had an infected bottle. Retention is world class and the lacing is some of the most elaborate I've ever seen. The nose is citrus, pine, floral, and biscuit. Taste is very nice. There is a definite grapefruit note with this one along with some maltiness. Not very bitter on the finish though. It would be a great summer beer for those who like an easy drinking pale ale. All in all pretty good.

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Freakin love NG's! This APA is not drinkable but also extremely malleable with food! Get it on draught near you

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours gold with a large white head. Diarhea splatter lace and good retention.

Smells heavily of honey with floral hop and caramel.

Caramel malt and floral hop balance each other and allow the honey to come forward. Very flavorful. Good carbonation and mouthfeel though I feel that two is about max for me due to the intense honey. I don't know that a pale ale can get much better than this without loosing it's subtly balanced pale ale roots. Well done.

via brentk56

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Big thanks to AK Smokedporter for this one. THe growler had leaked a little so I popped it in fridge and an hour later poured a glass.
The beer pours a clear golden amber color and a frothy beige head. THe head fades almost immediately, uh oh, leak could have let carb out too.
Aroma is jusky grainy scents with some caramel and a nice grassy hop profile.
First sip reveals an average body with crisp clean texture. The carbonation is barely still existent, but the sparse bubles are fine and tingly.
Flavor starts off with with some sweet caramel and a bit of general sweetness. A hit of berry sweetness peaks in and quickly is overwhelmed by an herbal drying hop finish, that makes me thirsty for more. THere is a sweet coat on my lips after each sip as well. THat berry flavor is definintely in there and is a pleasant surprise on the beer. I want to say raspberry, but not quite, it is super mild and only shows itself very briefly, but I like it. The beer is clean crisp and perfect for this hot, humid, yucky evening. A well made beer I am happy to have tried.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a light, crystal-clear orange amber with a good, frothy white head. Aroma is nutty pale malt and a touch of mild citrusy hops.

Taste is bready pale malt, rather dry. Hops are subdued, hanging around in the background, but emerge after a few sips. Light grapefruit and pine, very faint esters, plays well with the toasty, biscuity malts. Good and solid pale ale flavors, right on style.

Mouthfeel is light and watery, kind of flat but not entirely. Low carbonation sends its drinkability way up, definitely quaffable. Received a growler via beer trade with AKSmokedPorter, don't know if the carbonation suffered with travel.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Clear golden-amber in color. Thin, yet lacing layer of white head. Aromas are of citrusy, with a little bit of malt. Flavor is flavorful. There's some level of malt support, but it's really about the hops. Finishes dry, with just a touch of honey to balance the hop bitterness. Good mouthfeel and a real drinker. I'll definitely be drinking this whenever I stop by again.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Solid APA. It's usually the beer I drink when I go to the baseball game. Like most APA's they tend to be very drinkable, but not distinct enough to pick it a part for a review. Just a nice clean easy drinking Ale. You can't really find anything negative about it, and it's reasonably priced. For an extra buck for a 12 pack I usually just buy Sierra Nevada APA, but you would never be disappointed in a Natty's Ale either.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Served in a pint glass from a 64 oz. growler, courtesy of AKSmokedPorter. The color is a copper, with a nice strong head. The smell is a nice Amarillo-ish citrusy hop with a bit of the pale ale malt backing. The taste is definitely dominated by a citrus hop, though more Amarillo than Cascade, with a barely noticable malt in the background, and an aftertaste that finishes VERY dry! Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect...good carbonation (despite the growler's trip) and good body. As for drinkability, I'm glad I have this growler to myself since I will be enjoying every last drop!!

Thanks much to AKSP for this beer and for showing me just how to ship a growler (which living a couple miles from the best brewpub in West Virginia means people will likely be interested in me doing!) A very nice pale ale with a very good hop blend and some sort of balance, though this says IPA all the way to me! Quite good, and hopefully I'll hit Natty Greene at some point!

4.06/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz bottle into pint glass

Pours a deep gold color, one finger off-white head, with a decent amount of chunky particulates.

Nose is sweet, biscuity and fruity with a definite citrus and pine hop punch.

Taste is of honey malt with hop presence in the form of pine and dried tropical fruit notes. An interesting light sourness and almost savory characteristic come through in the finish along with a solid hop bitterness.

Moderate carbonation and a full but not perfectly well-rounded body.

Overall a good pale ale - something I would seek out if available in the area!

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured soft malts and a vibrant citric hop.

The taste consisted of clean malts with a touch of caramel and piney and citric hops.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a tasty hop forward ale.

It pours a clear honey golden color. Smells of hops and some caramel malt. The tast is very balanced between hops and malt. I tasted the malts at first and then the hops at the end. The taste reminds me of unsweet tea with a touch of honey. The mouthfeel is slightly carbonated and thin. Overall its a decent pale ale, no Red Seal Ale or Sierra Nevada but for $6.99 a sixer it will do. It is more malty than I expected. Its pretty drinkable I plan on having a few more before the night ends.

Review from notes on 12/17/2010

This is a very nice, light bodied, and crisp pale ale. Beautiful golden color, nice clarity and a slight white head. Pretty hoppy for an APA. Lots of pine, resin, and a touch of sap. Grainy, biscuity finish with an ever so slight honey malt flavor going on. I wouldn't mind a little more body, but this is a good summer drinker for sure.

thanks to my uncle for bringing this home from his trip to greensboro for me

this is a easy drinking pale ale, this has just the right amount of hop bitterness, and rich sweet malt, this is a beer that i would drink all the time if it were avalable to me. this is the first beer that i have when visating their brewery. glad this is fianaly in bottles

As you can tell by my scores of this beer, it is good. A nice example of the Amaerican Pale Ale style.

A: Nice deep golden color with great clarity. Modrate head with low retention and moderate lacing.

S: Light notes of sweet malt and descent hop aroma. Slightly floral and spicy.

T: Similar to smell. It was probably served a bit too cold, but flavors came through nicely after the first few sips. Slightly weak malt backbone with good bittering hops.

M: Moderate body and just about right for a pale ale.

D: I could drink sereval of these on a hot afternoon (which is was...95 degrees). A very drinkable beer.

Again, overall this is a good beer, not great, but good. I recommend you try it.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Enjoyed on-tap at the Old Town Draught House in Greensboro, NC. It is called "Southern Pale Ale" now.

The beer arrived with a mild copper color and a small white head that left a little lacing on the glass. They seem to have toned this beer down a little since I last sampled it, as it was a bit less hoppy than I remember. Regardless, it's a good, delicious beer. It matches very well with most food. It provides a very nice balance between malt and citrus hop flavors. There is nothing too extraordinary about it, but it does the job of being a good everyday ale that you can drink again and again.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked up a single at Chip's in OBX. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm enjoying this pale ale. It's definitely East Coast-hoppy, with a balanced malt character. The hops have a clean, but light floral tangerine juiciness over the crusty bread barley. There's a mild, but sharp bitter finish to lighten the beer. The aroma has more of the perfumey floral hops. Mmmmm. Very pleasant. Give this a try.

Southern Pale Ale from Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.