Southern Pale Ale - Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.

Southern Pale AleSouthern Pale Ale

good

Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Malts: Maris Otter, Cara Vienna, Munich Malt, Cara Munich

Hops: Magnum, Cascade, Cascade dry hop

Yeast: Chico No. 2, 1272

(Beer added by: oberon on 08-05-2004)

I rarely do formal reviews of beers I have at festivals, on principle. I do, though make a few exceptions:
1) The first beer of the day at a festival
2) Brews that so completely blow me out of the water that I simply must stop, find some blank pages, and wax eloquent.
Natty Greene's Southern Pale Ale, served in its cask-conditioned state at Brewgrass '09, is one such.

I tend to have a crush on cask beers in general, but this one is an all-out infatuation. Bursting at the seams with that dry-hop aroma, and juicily rich as it coats my tongue, lingering on the palate like a sacramental memory, I'm kicking myself for not simply camping out by the Natty Greene tent for the rest of the day and drinking the cask dry.

It just might be time for a road trip to Greensboro.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

4.68/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best beer in North Carolina. If you can find a better pale ale, please let me know but on tap or out of the bottle this beer is unparalleled. It has slowly swept NC by storm and is the #1 selling beer on the Outer Banks. Sit on the beach and drink this one and tell me there is something better. Very crisp, refreshing, not overbearing but just simple. It has hints of citrus or grapefruit that make it leave a great flavor in your mouth.

4.45/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Light/medium clear amber body with an beautiful head; some lacing on the way down

Smell: Wonderfully assertive floral aroma

Taste: Grapefruit hoppiness that jumps out at you is if the brew were pretensions of being an IPA; nice and bitter with a very restrained maltiness

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Another winner from the Natty Greene's line-up; this is a brew that will provide pleasure for hours

4.43/5  rDev +22.7%

This is an outstanding Pale Ale by any measure. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, 5.2% ABV. From the labeling codes appears the bottle is 28 days old.

The color is a nice copper and is cloudy, but also clear, sort of a mix. Not sure if this beer is filtered or not. Lacing on the glass is outstanding.

Smell is sweet and piney hops. The taste is hope, but also has the malt "backbone" for balance. Hopefully this review helps.

This is one of the most flavorful and well balanced Pale Ale's I have had. I have been drinking Natty Greene's for years, and the beer just keep getting better everytime I drink one.

4.43/5  rDev +22.7%

With a very ample white head, this pale ale displays a clear light copper appearance and a trail of nice lacing. The aroma is of skunky citrus/floral hops, a very fair summation of a solid IPA actually. The flavor happily lives up to the nose and more. This seems modeled somewhat after Sierra Nevada's champion brew which won't get any complaints from me. This may even be a bit more hoppy with a biscuit laced citrus theme. It's very drinakable for any hop fan. It's well carbonated and quite refreshing, medium bodied, delivering a light enough feel while still being relatively substantial. While you might argue that this is not very unique, or some that it's more of an IPA than a standard pale ale, it's damn good and impressed me thoroughly.

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

Palesw are the first brew I order at any new place I go to. Almost always a great policy (or me anyways).

A golden/light orange colour with a chunky, rocky, pure white head that lasts.

Strong citrusy-hop nose, very pleasing.

Thick citrus and pine hop forwardness with a solid, bitter pale-malt. Very balnced for such a big hop. This is why I love pales over IPAs.

Smooth medium body that finishes fairly clean for such a heavily hopped pale.

What can I say, I love a solid Pale!

Cheers!!

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Picked up a few six-packs of this brewery's beers while out of town for Thanksgiving and was really impressed.

-Appearance 3.5: Poured out with a small head that shrunk quickly, but stuck around on the sides and floating around the top. This alone was appealing, but the deep golden color is beautiful. No visible carbonation bubbles.

-Smell 4.5: Wow! BIG hop aroma to this IPA and...yes, that is unusual. This baby has an aroma that smells like hops, not adjunct or metal or any "etc." I also smell a slight barley note in the bouquet. This is how an IPA should smell.

-Taste 4.5: I feel a slight bitterness with the first swallow and this turns quickly into a deep hoppy taste. I mean deeper than your typical IPA; if you've ever smelled fresh hops, that smell is this taste. This quickly changes into a different hoppy taste, much more in line with the typical IPA alkaline hoppiness. A long, dry finish follows which distinguishes this IPA from many, many others.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Creamy, with a great mid-level carbonation. Very good.

-Overall 4.0: Excellent IPA. This IPA may not be from the Left Coast, but it is amazing and is highly recommended. It is a whopping 7.2% ABV according to the bottle, but I could taste NONE of it in the beer. Delicious! If you can find it, BUY IT!

4.28/5  rDev +18.6%

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

Wow an oasis in a beer wasteland I already like this place,their plae ale pours a deep golden with a nice sticky,frothy head,more of a mlat dominated aroma of biscuit and light caramel but with a touch of piney hop.A very well balanced brew a firm lightly sweet malt backbone with a piney hop flavor that comes to make this a well balanced flavorsome beer.I could drink beers like this all day if it wasnt for the wife I would still be there drinking some.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle -> Dogfish Head glass

This one pours up a hazy gold with a gargantuan white head that made me initally think I had an infected bottle. Retention is world class and the lacing is some of the most elaborate I've ever seen. The nose is citrus, pine, floral, and biscuit. Taste is very nice. There is a definite grapefruit note with this one along with some maltiness. Not very bitter on the finish though. It would be a great summer beer for those who like an easy drinking pale ale. All in all pretty good.

4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

Big thanks to AK Smokedporter for this one. THe growler had leaked a little so I popped it in fridge and an hour later poured a glass.
The beer pours a clear golden amber color and a frothy beige head. THe head fades almost immediately, uh oh, leak could have let carb out too.
Aroma is jusky grainy scents with some caramel and a nice grassy hop profile.
First sip reveals an average body with crisp clean texture. The carbonation is barely still existent, but the sparse bubles are fine and tingly.
Flavor starts off with with some sweet caramel and a bit of general sweetness. A hit of berry sweetness peaks in and quickly is overwhelmed by an herbal drying hop finish, that makes me thirsty for more. THere is a sweet coat on my lips after each sip as well. THat berry flavor is definintely in there and is a pleasant surprise on the beer. I want to say raspberry, but not quite, it is super mild and only shows itself very briefly, but I like it. The beer is clean crisp and perfect for this hot, humid, yucky evening. A well made beer I am happy to have tried.

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours gold with a large white head. Diarhea splatter lace and good retention.

Smells heavily of honey with floral hop and caramel.

Caramel malt and floral hop balance each other and allow the honey to come forward. Very flavorful. Good carbonation and mouthfeel though I feel that two is about max for me due to the intense honey. I don't know that a pale ale can get much better than this without loosing it's subtly balanced pale ale roots. Well done.

via brentk56

Southern Pale Ale from Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.