Elm Street IPA - Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.

Elm Street IPAElm Street IPA

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2005

Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 25
Reviews by Luigi:
4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Note: This year the bottle marks this IPA as a seasonal brew and the ABV has been raised to 6.4%.

Pours out a healthy two finger foamy head with sticky lacing and great head retention. Hazy orange in color with some carbonation bubbles racing to the top.

The citrus hop aroma hit the nose at first. I enjoyed that a lot, because it is a change from the pine like dominated IPA's. Very English but with out the diacetyl. Balanced great with a sweet bread malt.

The flavor is full of citrus hops, but is balanced very well with sweet malt and hints of bread. Probably, from the yeast. Balance is the word For this IPA. Well done!

The body is medium and very easy to drink. Finishes dry and bitter with hops. I love it!

Overall it is nice to have an American version of an English IPA. And, I can say Natty Greene's brewery has done good job at capturing the style as well as making it their own. I hope this brew becomes year around! Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a copper color with a little orange tint to it with a thineer white head leaving some lace behind,aromas of pine mainly with some lemond rind in there most definently hop dominated.This is more of an American Pacific Northwest style IPA compared to Scotts Honest IPA from last year,very resiny and piney with a big earthy finish but there is a firm cracker-like maltiness to it.Very dry and earthy and really sociable a real winner for people who like American IPA's.

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a hazy yellow-amber with a very good head.

Has a light and fruity aroma of English hops and light malt.

The taste may seem lightly hopped, with at most the hoppiness of an average Amer. PA, but this is an English-style India Pale Ale, so the hop level was about as expected. With that in mind, the hops did seem more fruity and less earthy than usual. Mildly bitter with good balance.

Palate: Medium body; crisp, dry finish.

O: Easy-drinking and refreshing ale; easily recommended alternative to an APA.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Color is dirty amber, or brownish orange and finely murky. Light tan colored head is small and fades to a ring almost instantly (though I didn't pour it very well from my growler). Nose is pleasant with soft hops and good full malts. British in its mellowness. Hops are pine-like, lightly citrus, dry and earthy and there may a little peat moss in there too. The malts smell like creamy caramel plus yummy bread and hold up the beer nice. Taste is easy going as well but is enjoyable. This could be a good session beer for sure. Nothing weird about it and a very non violent hop profile. I would like more hops but I suppose that's what the double IPA is for. Mouthfeel has nice smoothness with a little resiny texture. Ever so slightly bitter enough and mildly dry. Very drinkable though. Some might call it inhale-able.

Good and simple. Not massively hoppy.

4.16/5  rDev +16.5%

Haven't had the bottled version yet, but so far my experience with Natty Greene's is that their bottled versions don't touch the brewery-fresh pours.

Poured from the growler a super-fluffy head, which hung on forever and produced huge clinging lace walls. Orange-leaning copper in color. A quintessential IPA look.

Mild aroma, clean fruit and caramel, faint chewing gum, nice although very mellow.

Hops are fruity on the tongue, but also showing hints of bright pine; tangerine; nice toffee/caramel center. Remarkably toasty in the finish, along with a pleasing bitterness and some pineapple sweetness. Simple but clearly well-crafted, and super-likable.

Silky soft feel, with no lack of body or texture. Wonderful.

Excellent stuff. Smoothing drinking and plenty flavorful. Again, probably not this good from the bottle, glad I enjoyed it fresh.

3.49/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a glace chalice.

Hazy brown, orange color. White head, about a finger’s worth . Piney and grassy hops on the nose and some sugary biscuit with some earthiness in there as well. The aroma is pretty decent for an IPA. Grassy and piney hops taste-wise with fairly low bitterness. As the beer warms, more tropical notes begin to come out. The hop profile tastes really similar to a Stone RuinTen, although tamed down about 40.7%. The malt balances out the hops pretty well. It isn’t a hop-bomb, and I generally like my IPAs a little more crisp, however it’s a nicely crafted IPA.

2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a hazy amber with two fingers of thick, foamy head. Great retention. Nice citrus notes in the nose; orange peel and lemon. Taste is very citrusy with notes of orange peel, grapefruit, and lemon. Extremely light, bready malt character. Faint medicine aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly carbonated, but smooth.

Overall, this is too citrusy. The lemon and orange peel are more on the wheat beer side. The malt content is also rather weak. For a Natty Greene's beer, it's decent, but it's nothing to get excited about.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

After a semi-hard pour a nice, tight creamy head appears over a hazed golden orange body. Smells of earthy floral hops and grainy citrus rind. Subtle, but well rounded. Flowery-sweet hop flavor over a solid, fresh grainy malt profile. There's a slight yeasty quality too. The body is a little better than medium with a mild bitterness. A nice English-oriented IPA. Good with food.

Had the chance to try pretty much the entire lineup from Natty Green's and I just do not pass up the opportunity to try these things.

Pour was solid, rich amber in color with a big head of white on top. Faded quickly but left a nice amount of lacing up and down the sides of the glass. Pungent citrus hops are right up front on me, but warming brings some nice biscuit tones coming through now as it warms as well, quite nicely balanced. Smooth even flavor from beginning to end. Quick touch of hops up front mellows quickly and leads to a nice and very well balanced profile. Orange touches, hints of pineapple are all balanced very well against a rich malt backbone. Nice and even on the carbonation now as well with a nice and smooth drinking feel.

Overall a solid and well deserved IPA. Pretty classic east coast style with the well balanced profile and pronounced malts. I would do this one again no problem.

3.86/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm so excited for this, Natty Greene's is my favorite brewery, gotta rep Greensboro (I mean this brew IS named after the street that is the center of life of Greensboro, as well as the location of the brewery), but this is the first time I'm trying this one!

Poured into a Tulip glass.

a - Beautiful dark amber color with a two finger cream white head. Head seems stable like strongly whipped egg whites. Body is cloudy with much movement from carbonation and/or sediment.

s - very earthy for an IPA. Wood, mud, some raspberry and currant notes, and the usual hint of lemon and hops.

t - starts of with a strong lemon and herbal (oregano, mint, sage) flavor, then shifts into a wood, finish has notes of chocolate and small hint of hot pepper.

m - moderate. Frothy with small amount of acid.

o - Well this beer definitely didn't disappoint. It's not my favorite Natty Greene's, but it's still really good, and I'll be looking for it come next season, now that they've started their next seasonal brew.

3.71/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a lightly hazy medium golden peach in color with heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and some pale orange highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense creamy off-white head that very slowly reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer evenly with a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of citrus/orange rind and citrus/lemon rind hops over hints of sweet malts with a hint of light fruit.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted bready malts with a very light hint of caramel sweetness that is followed by light flavors of citrus/orange rind/lemon rind hops. There is a light amount of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy with hints of dryness in the finish.

O: I found this beer to be pretty easy to drink but I was hoping for a more traditional English hop style for an English IPA. Overall it is enjoyable but not quite what I was looking for this evening...I was hoping for something a little bigger/more intense in the earthy hop realm (not so much citrus).

4.24/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle -> Highland Brewing tulip glass

A - slightly hazy medium gold with an initial two finger head, great retention, and great lacing.

S - mostly citrus on the nose. Some pine, bread, and grasses too.

T - This is GRAPEFRUIT bomb. Not particularly well balanced, but I love the sweet bitterness.

M - medium thick, good carbonation, only the slightest aftertaste.

O - a very nice offering that I would not turn down again.

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is hazy deep orange with a nice fluffy one-finger head that slowly settles and has good retention.

Smell is of citrus, floral and hops. A fairly faint aroma but pleasant.

Taste is a mild hop bitterness with a hint of citrus sweetness. A light bit of malt. It seams fairly laid back for the style. Not as bitter as I'd expect. But tasty nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and is smooth on the palette. A bit of a nice mild hop finish to it.

Drinkability is pretty nice. It goes down smooth and has a pretty nice taste to it. I wouldn't mind this as a session beer and plan to have some more. Overall pretty good brew.

2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

I'm fairly new at the whole rating of beers but I know what I like and I don't like this. It tasted like I was drinking a banana. Maybe that's what they were going for but not their best effort. I've had their other beer and am usually not disappointed

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Serving type- 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark orange with minimal carbonation after the pour. It pours a small white lace that keeps a presence until the end.

S- Not anything over powering in the smell category. However I do notes of hops and citurs:orange and pine.

T- The taste is a little muted for an IPA. Seems to be a little weak therefore the hoppy bitterness is not very prevelant.

I read about this beer on BA and was hoping to get a chance to try it outside of the brewery since I rarely get out of the house these days. Luckily I found it bottled at the local Total Wine and picked up a bottle. Even though I didn't find this to appealing it was about what I thought it would be. A decent beer but nothing with strength or bitterness that I associate with IPA's, especially from the west coast. I will probably not get this again but I am glad that I gave it a shot. I will certainly keep trying more offerings from Natty Greene's and I am sure that I will find some good things from them.

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer is a hazy orange color with a medium thin off-white head that burns away quickly. Spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma of citrusy hops and bready malt. Medium body with flavors of mild hops, citrus and sweet malt. The finish is short and hoppy with a bit of citrus in the background. Slightly above average overall.

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%

Yes! A new beer being bottled by our local Natty Greene's. I am pretty excited about this. I was wondering when they were going to start bottling an IPA. It's English, but I'm still satisfied.

Pours a very dark rusty brownish orange with a good bit of off-white froth resting on top. Retention is excellent as there is still a nice cap more than halfway through this drink. Plenty of sticky lacing and even some nice sip rings. Pretty. Smells pretty basic. Faint floral hops and toasted sugar bread.

The mouth is well-carbonated to make this a nice crisp brew. Flavor is pretty balanced with a slight leaning towards malty. Plenty of sweet brown sugar, hefty breads, and finishing with a sharp hop bite that I like. This is a very good EIPA. Many are going to review this according to their skewed American IPA-tastes unfortunately, but this beer holds its own very well. Recommend.

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle on 8/8/09.

A - pours a hazy copper-chestnut color with hardly any foam and a little lacing

S - citrus & piney hops, nothing too overpowering, some caramel in there as well

T - caramel malty base with some piney and slightly citrus finish with a bit of bitterness

M/D - fairly drinkable, good flavor, nothing outstanding, but a good to average drink

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into small pint like glass.

Pours a finger of off-white head. Decent retention with some lace. Color is hazed brown hued orange.

Aroma: Very sweet and fruity with notes of orange peel and mangoes. Not much of a hop profile in the nose, but not malty either.

Taste: A little bit of a earthy hop profile but very fruity overall. Some pineapple and mango with a bit of oranges. Some bready malts. Not very hoppy for an ipa, however.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit sticky.

Overall, not a very good ipa. Just not hoppy enough for me. I did enjoy the fruit profile, but it needed hops to back it up. Not too drinkable for me.

2.76/5  rDev -22.7%

Bottle. Pours an orange amber color with a fluffy white head that laces as it settles. The aroma is really fruity, tropical type fruit at that. Lots of pineapple and mango type notes. Sweet malty smell as well, honestly reminds me of Fruity Pebbles. Medium mouthfeel. The taste isn't quite as good as the nose. Not really all that hoppy and not malty enough for an IPA in my opinion. Ends pretty cleanly with only a slight lingering bitter taste. No real alcohol flavors.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours deep, dark gold with one-finger head. Faint retention and faint lacing.

Very light nose with a very faint hop presence (a trend in their beer).

Hits the tongue very tart, with a dry bitter finish. Lots of citrus flavor in the middle. Very good malt body accompanies a nice mouthfeel.

A little fizzy for my taste.

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%

Apparently I've had this in the past and wasn't impressed but I'm glad that my memory failed me as I think this is the best of the bottle offerings from Natty Green. I pours with a two finger head that leaves some nice lacing on the drink down. Has a nice looking dark amber appearance of about 15 SRM. Aroma is light malt and mild hops. This is the best tasting beer that I've had from Natty as well. I wish they would brew it year round. For me, it tastes much better with a better mouthfeel than Goose Island (but I do like that also). As with most of this style you won't be overwhelmed by the hop bitterness but rolling in under 6% ABV this isa really nice option for when you are seeking a tasty lower ABV option.

4.07/5  rDev +14%

Served on draft at the downtown Greensboro location. Arrives at the table a clear, malty golden color with a small white head. A good bit of lacing down the glass.

Aroma is a little different (more American) than most English IPAs. Definitely a bit of citrus hops and less earthiness than typical for the style. I like it. Some caramel notes with a hint of breadiness and vienna malt.

Really nice flavor. Again, more along the lines of an American IPA. Fruity up front with some melon-like and berry-like flavors. The fruitiness fades into an english/american hop flavor melange. The american hops punch you in the face and the english hops make the recovery smoother. I like the combination. Piney, resiny, and oily. I am not sure if American west coast hops are in this but it certainly tastes and smells like it. Nice bitterness in the finish.

Finishes a bit dry but is slick and oily on the palate. This was a really good beer. I must admit I was surprised, but glad I chose this one.

3.37/5  rDev -5.6%

[Suggested Glassware: Tulip Glass]

The pour was a clear golden straw yellow with a slight orange hue and an average white bubbly head that reduced down to a small collar with fair spotty lacing.

The aroma was lightly sweet with a light grain malt, mild floral hops and a doughy yeast with notes of tropical fruit (pineapple and mango), and caramel.

The taste was lightly sweet with a hint of caramel and fruit from the start with a mild hoppy bitterness creeping in towards the finish. The flavor lasted a good long while proceeding the swallow with a slightly hoppy fruitiness left to linger on the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was just past light in body and somewhat watery in texture with a mild to medium carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a bit on the mild side for an IPA, it most definitely could have been a tad heavier on the hops. With that being said it still was extremely tasty and did possess a very smooth drinkability...

4.73/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm a little surprised by some of the negative reviews. This is one of the best things I've tasted from Natty Greene's. In fact, I'm disappointed that it is a seasonal/limited release because it might be my favorite Natty Greene's offering. The slogan is "taste of the south" but this has the hop character of the west coast. The best part of this beer is the nose, which provides a very pine/spruce hop presence. The flavor backs up the nose well. It is surprisingly smooth and balanced for an IPA with a medium mouth feel. It has just the right amount of lingering bitterness. It is a very good craft brew that can also function well as a session beer. I really find nothing to dislike about Elm Street IPA.

Elm Street IPA from Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.