Middleworld Brown Ale - Heinzelmännchen Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Heinzelmännchen Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Bung:
Bung

3.53/5  rDev +7%

On tap. Light brown pour, off white head. Aroma is some roast malt and peat. Tastes very similarly, with a medium body and a healthy amount of carbonation. A little old sock that many browns have and some balancing piney hops. Could be pretty drinkable. An ok brown, as far as browns go.

04-19-2009 21:26:30 | More by Bung

carrollmel7

03-04-2012 22:19:45 | More by carrollmel7
ChainGangGuy

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, walnut-brown body with a slender, bone white head.

Smell: Aroma of well-ground nuts, light chocolate, a spoonful of mild coffee, and a background hint of tannic plum skins.

Taste: Dusky while not profuse maltiness of nuts and cocoa powder (which eventually slides to a firmer chocolate taste). Mildly sweet. Minor influence and no more than a hint of bitterness from a small dose of earthy hops. Nutty, dry malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-light carbonation.

Drinkability: Middleworld is, at best, a middle-of-the-road brown. I'd prefer a slight boost in the body of the beer, but it's got a nice flavor.

01-31-2011 17:11:11 | More by ChainGangGuy
CWiggins

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

I've visited this brewery a few times while making the trek across the mountains to visit my folks near Knoxville. I love Sylva and the area that surrounds it, and I take every opportunity to try each beer to see what suits my fancy at that time. What I've found is that their ales do vary in flavor from batch to batch: the one I picked on a previous stop may not the best this time. On this particular visit I found the Middleworld Brown to take me by surprise, and so I filled my growler with it. It's been in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

It pours a very dark brown (honestly, it's very near black), and the thick, off-white head that formed was fluffy and long-lasting. This was a surprise; most of Heinzelmännchen brews I'd sampled don't form much of a head at all. Nice malty nose with hints of nuts and caramel, and a mild dark fruit character that may be easily overlooked. The front of the taste has the sweetness, which then mellows into a dark, nutty maltiness. The finish is barely hoppy. What lingers is that previously mentioned nuttiness with an essence of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. This is a really nice effect.

It drinks only a little heavier than water. It's a lean one, that's for sure. You just want to chug it. I recommend this to those searching out different versions of brown ales. Enjoy!

10-04-2008 01:20:19 | More by CWiggins
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

One of the last that I tried this afternoon, it was getting late and I had almost finished with the entire lineup by this time.

So we get to the brown ale. Light brown in color on the pour with a minimal head, but surisinly nice side glass presentation. Light carbonation could be seen on the bottom of the glass. The aroma was light, lots of hazelnut and earthy malts in here now. Nice touchs of caramel in here, but just a touch light for me. The flavor was more of the same. Lots of caramel and nuts, light grains and a touch of bittering hops at the end. Light, smooth feel with an easy drinkability that I would have no issue pouring through over and over.

Not a bad brown ale here at all. They have really been pretty solid throughout and a really cannot complain. I could see myself enjoying this one again without a problem.

08-03-2008 02:27:55 | More by mikesgroove
gbarron

2.35/5  rDev -28.8%

From a growler on tap at the brewery. I'm reviewing this beer again to make sure I gave it a fair shake. Unfortunately, pretty much the same result.

A - dark brown, nearly opaque. Very little head and no head retention whatsoever. Very dark brown ale.

S - light malt aroma, woody, nutty. Virtually no hop aroma.

T - little bit of malt sweetness, like toasted hazelnuts. Fairly well balanced beer, not decidedly sweet or bitter. Almost no hop flavor, some slight earthiness or spice. Malt is in the forefront, however. Not a lot of flavors going on here.

M - thin, somewhat watery. Carbonation is low. Dry finish.

D - skip this brewery on your trip to the Smoky Mountains, I'm sad to say. None of the beers I have tried so far have much character.

09-06-2006 02:14:37 | More by gbarron
TheEclecticGent

2.78/5  rDev -15.8%

I have tried this beer at the brewery several times.

Appearance – This beer is a semi-cloudy brown with a 1/3” head that holds on for about half the secession. Moderate carbonation.

Nose – Smells lightly of juniper, spices, and some malt.

Taste – A very clean brown with a good balance but comes off a little light in the flavor. Hard to nail down the flavor as well. Tastes lightly of malt, hops, and a bit of grassyness.

Mouthfeel – It has a medium mouthfeel with some zest.

Drinkability – Very drinkable. It has a light body that will not be quickly filling.

03-14-2006 04:24:52 | More by TheEclecticGent
Enola

2.98/5  rDev -9.7%

This beer is a dark brown color. It has no head. The smell is similar to an evergreen tree. The taste could use some improvement, but for the style it is fair. It does have a bitterness to it that seems out of place. I don't think it flat as the growler was fresh. The mouthfeel is affected somewhat by this bitterness. I could drink these beers again though. This is a nice small brewery in a small mountain town. When I am up that way I will certainly get my growler filled again.

01-17-2006 03:58:45 | More by Enola
wcudwight

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

One of the coolest growlers I've seen. It's very pricey though at a whopping 25$ just for the growler, not including the beer.
A: Dark, Dark, Brown. Thin head, what head there is. Just a small rim of lace outlining the top of the beer.
S: Highlight of the beer. Smell is good. Rich deep roasted malt. Sweet. Chocolate covered cherries.
T: Harsh! I think underneath the harshness lies a very good beer. The harsh bite hides the complexity and flavors of this brown ale. I get a hint of sweet roasted malt and a bready flavor, but again this is overrun by a harshness.
M: The harshness is not as bad in the mouthfeel, but is still noticable
D: The forementioned harsh taste hurts the drinkability too.
I had there Black Forest Stout at The Brewgrass festival and remember thinking it was one of the best Stouts I've had. But, the Brown Ale is just missing something. This may be a bad batch and I will give this Ale another shot in the future.

01-16-2006 22:08:50 | More by wcudwight