Microbrew Invitational

Late Night Pumpkin Ale
North Country Brewing
Style: Pumpkin Ale
ABV: unknown

LOOK: Hazed orange like a standard pumpkin ale, there was an off white, pillowy froth on the beer. Left a bit of lace on the glass, and emitting from the glass were glorious notes of pumpkin pie spices.

SMELL: Biscuit malt apparant right away with a sweet, almost buttery smell. Of course, there is a ton of pumpkin smells as well, with fresh gourd, clove, cinnamon, and allspice sticking out rather easily.

TASTE: Pumpkin flavors, bright but not overstated spices, and delicious biscuit malt working so good with the pumpkin. Sweet malt and pumpkin pie flavors steal the show. Clove, cinnamon, allspice and even a hint of vanilla are all represented in this most festive ale.

FEEL: Medium bodied, well carbonated, smooth, drying spices, lingering pumpkin and vanilla flavors, need I say more?

OVERALL: This is really delicious stuff, and can easily stand up to some of the most well regarded pumpkin ales out there. With a canning line being put in place, this would be great to release to the masses. Unfortunately, demand is so high for this beer, its always gone within the weekend it is tapped...

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks emperor of the canned beer kingdom, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark brown color with orange highlights and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pumpkin pie. Taste is pumpkin, spices are present but not overpowering, some hints of vanilla, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, but I suppose I was expecting more based on it's score.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Going into this expecting hopefully the the pumpkin hasn't degraded to a vegital mess and the spices are hopefully held up since this brew is at least 6 months old.

A - One thing I didn't expect with this much carbonation which is fine but it really fizzes out rather quick almost like a soda. As expected hazy dark amber with a ton of small floaties.
S - A shadow of its former shelf I believe for I smell nutmeg and cinnamon with brown sugar but very faded atop a very small whiff of what appears to be pumpkin.
T - Not bad but I could see this being great. Cinnamon and bready malts mixed fairly well with the pumpkin more of a candied squash than the vegital mess I expected. Very faded spices make me sad.
M - Quite smooth a medium bodied brew for cold fall nights.

This one seems to have fallen off a bit but its not bad if you can find it on the cheap. Seek it out fresh though since I expect greatness from this fresh.

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I am currently unemployed with a lot of time on my hands & as such, I am a) not motivated to go out like I do when I have a job & b) trying to reduce the backlog of beer here at Chez Woody. The Bottle Backlog is annoying, but it takes a backseat to The CANQuest (tm). I CAN only take a bashful bow at seeing tone77's thanks. He is a great trader!

From the CAN: "Keep a festive height through the darkest night. Scan Your Can!"; "Enjoy Responsibly[,] Please Recycle".

It was a solid CAN & the Crack! was loud, but nothing untoward happened afterwards. The hour was late & I was beginning to flag, but that was no reason to CANduct anything more than a gentle Glug. The swirl raised a finger of fizzy, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity & Amber highlights. Nose was prevalent with spice, notably cinnamon & nutmeg. Mouthfeel was full, like a dollop of ice cream dropped on my tongue. The taste was pleasant. The spices were forward, but underlain with a cream flavor along with a crackery maltiness. I could close my eyes & envision pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top. That said, it added up to a sweetness that was just over my tolerable limit. It finished sweet and I found myself wishing for some coffee or anything even slightly bitter to offset it. If you do not mind sweet, then have at it.

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

The spice was less than other pumpkin beers I've had, but I could see myself drinking this throughout the year. Very easy to drink with a crisp ale taste and light hop flavor. I wouldn't come to this if I was looking for pumpkin spice, but I wouldn't mind drinking this for any occasion.

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.89/5  rDev +21.9%

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this on-tap at the local bar <1 mile from my house. Actually. Pretty amazing since the closest to craft beer they has otherwise ever was Yuengling Wheat.

A- Body is a hazy dark amber hue. Serves with a 1 finger soapy slightly off-white head.Head has good retention and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

S- Pumpkin, spices, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie, nutmeg.

T- Lots of pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice, and brown sugar flavors upfront with nice vanilla overtones and a pumpkin backbone. The spices come through a little more for the finish but stay really balances with the pumpkin and vanilla.

F- Awesome. Smooth and creamy with a medium weight body and medium carbonation.

O- Overall this is a really nice, well balanced pumpkin ale. It remind me a lot of the weyerbacher imperial pumpkin with more body and less alcohol. Fantastic job. I had heard from my Slippery Rock U friends that this is a great beer- but I didn't know it was this outstanding. I will probably stopping by and drinking most of the keg of this if it doesn't sell quickly at my local watering hole.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Late Night Pumpkin Ale from North Country Brewing
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.