Double Vision IPA - North Country Brewing

No picture uploaded.
good

North Country Brewing visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: beerphan on 01-22-2007)
Reviews by mebalien:
4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

3.74/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Came tot he table in a standard pint glass a hazed burnt orange with a thinner white head atop.Sweet alcohol dominated the nose with some resinous hops underneath.Big malty and sweet up front but a healthy dose of piney hops hit in the finish.On par with alot...to many of the style.

Photo of
2.25/5  rDev -40%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a growler filled approx. 2 weeks ago

A: 4.5: A moderately hazy rich brownish orange with a nice layer of white foam on top

S: 4.0: Candied orange peel, with notes of caramel and ginger. There's also a faint herbal note I can't quite describe. Not a ton of aroma but what there is is pleasant

T: Again lots of orange and citrus on the taste. It's a very well balanced beer, with good malt sweetness tempered by a slightly bitter hop finish. As it warms there is also an earthy quality to it

M: I never know what to expect from a growler of unkown origins but this one was well carbonated. The body was full without being heavy

O: My frist beer from North County Brewing and I must say I am impressed. It's not an over-the-top hop bomb like some might expect from an Imperial IPA but it is well balanced and extremely drinkable for what I suspect it a 8%abv+ beer. I would certainly suggest trying it if you ever have the chance

edit: I see the other person who reviewed it seems to have had it at the brewery and mentioned it was 7.8%. I don't read reviews before I review so I was unaware of this

3.75/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

2.96/5  rDev -21.1%

On draft, straight from the source.
A - Poured a murky golden-amber orange color, 1.5 finger on the head, fades super fast, thin lacing.
S - Barley, wheat, hop oil, sweet malt, a little bit of citrus, some spices. All flavors noted here were hard to discern as they were all weak, the sweeter aroma of wheat, malt and resinous hop are on top.
T - Weak flavor, like most North Country brews. Stronger malt backbone than everything else it seems. I dont know what hops this is brewed with, but they're not pronounced at all. I might say amarillo? There's and assortment of spices and wheat that you taste thats not really definitive but enough to send your palate off balance.
M - Thin, thin, thin, thin, watery, aftertaste is a bit of the sweetness hanging on. NO carbonization to be had after its poured.
O - First review on any North Country beer, despite the many I've had. I live in Butler Co. so I'd say I'm close enough to be a local, but for this being about the closest brewery to me, I have no desire to keep drinking their beer, (food is another thing.)
I dont know who's reviewing these beers, but every single one Ive had (which is about everything they've brewed) is a watered down, unmemorable beer. They all have the same base generic flavor, very watery and thin.
The only thing that you get double vision about is the price you pay for this lame double IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +16%

on-tap -> pint
7.8% abv

The beer arrived a golden hazed orange with a perfect one inch head that receded to a blanket that had some staying power. Lace hung from the glass in rings and sheets.

Nose: A nice fruity nose. Fresh pineapple leads the way, with some mango, orange, and apricot making appearance. The fruit aroma didn't last and was quickly overwhelmed by a matly 'bitter' smelling pine.

A huge hop blast with a firm malt back. Finishes dry and refreshingly bitter. THe heavy malt presense tries and fails to balance the abudant hops. Bitterness ensues quickly and lingers.

Full and slick mouthfeel.

This is Paleo IPA's big brother. Well balanced while still tasting over the top hoppy. A little to easy to drink at 7.8% its best to down a few pints in the pub, then fill a growler and enjoy at home.

Double Vision IPA from North Country Brewing