Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #10 - Triticus - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #10 - TriticusHarpoon 100 Barrel Series #10 - Triticus

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-17-2005

Latin for "wheat," Triticus is a strong and dark Wheat Wine style ale that's light and lively on the palate. The blend of 50% wheat malts, including caramel and chocolate, provides color and depth of flavor. Complex hopping and dry-hopping lends a delicate spiciness and just enough balance to complement its strength. Best shared with friends.

This is the original Triticus recipe, brewed with Jason and Todd Alström of BeerAdvocate.
Ratings: 95 | Reviews: 87
4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Ah, the OG Triticus. Harpoon was kind enough to bring some to beervana. Don't think there's too many more of these kegs out there..

A- Dark in the glass, like a root beer. Thin, tiny-bubble tead sits tightly around the edge of the glass.

S- Lots of deep dark malty goodness. Molasses, rye bread.

T- Follows the nose, licorice, rye bread, semisweet chocolate and some undefined dark fruit. Very mellow and smooth, flavors all tumble around together and achieve great cohesion.

M- Mellow, smooth, velvety. No sign of ABV.

O- Aged very very well, I liked this better than the re-release, it seems to have some different and more complex flavors. Would love to grab a bottle of this if they're still out there.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

I received this in a trade or BIf long ago (back in '06 I believe, three houses ago) and have since forgot the sender so thanks whomever you is. This one has some age on it and may be the oldest beer to ever adorn these lips. Date of 051605 on the side so that puts this one at the ripe old age of 5.5 years!

Pours from a 22oz, gold foil addorned bottle into a New Belgium snifter/globe glass, one of my faves. Looks exactly like Coke or Pepsi (or any other cola). Color is the same, the head is the same, and the quick departure of the foam leaves in the exact same expediency as a soft drink. No lacing.

Aroma is malty and smoky. Smells are similar to a Scotch ale or even a Doppelbock. Tinges of alcohol and hops of the earthy variety. Slightly fruity with Red Man tobacco aromas as well. A slight vegetal aroma is present.

Really quite nice flavors. Heavy on the tobacco flavor. Chocolate, roasted grains, figs, even some bubble gum and slight clove spiciness. one other flavor lingers, almost like a stout with Angostura bitters. Significant and beautiful hop bite as well.

Wheatwine is not a typical beer style and is not a typical style I drink. I usually find them really sweet and boozy. This one is great. Slightly sweet up front; malt and charred oak barrel kick your ass in the front, and then the bitterness takes your money as you leave through the back door of the bar. Really well balanced and a delight to drink. The alcohol is hidden well and this one sneaks up on you. Possibly the best wheatwine I have had. I seriously thought of trading this away but I am very glad I kept this one. I don't know how this drank fresh but it is drinking good as shit right now. Very enjoyable and very sippable.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge thanks to Bob (psycohops) for sharing this with me. Also, thanks to Uncle Jimbo for sending this to Bob in his secret santa 07 package. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber bottle into a pair of basic snifters. Triticus appears a hazed deep chestnut brown color with about an inch of sporadic, foamy ecru head. The head left a slight lacing on the inside of my glass in its wake. Aromas and flavors consist of rich caramel, dark brown sugar, figs, molasses, faint chocolate notes, dates, cherries, dark toast, not a hint of alcohol heat to be found. Approaching full bodied with ample carbonation levels. Seriously, this could have very little carbonation and still be a very pleasant drinker. Time has been quite kind to this bottle. Glad I had the chance to try it. Thanks again Bob and Uncle Jimbo!

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Acquired via trade from ppoitras, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark fruit, chocolate, roasted malts and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste starts with sweet flavors of chocolate and dark fruit. There's a hearty wheat and malt background, but it doesn't make the beer too heavy. The hops presence has been subdued by age but is still enough to provide a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent beer to sip on for a long time.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Ongoing cellar clearing project continues.... 22 received back in October '08 from MarkD... A huge round of applause goes out to Mark... I have been trying to score a bottle or two since I first started trading.... poured tonight into my New Belgium snifter.

1" head was sorta unimpressive... but it did leave quite a bit of lace and held a firm cap until the bottom of the glass... the brew is dark dark walnut brown.. verging on porter territory.. only reveals brown highlites when held to a light.

It's amazing, but some hoppiness has survived the years.. sorta a grassy/menthol type with a bunch of dark fruit .. think cherries and mild plum.. pretty nice.... I have to remember to BM mark and ask if this has been refrigerated prior to ending up in my basement.

From the first sip, I am liking this one more than any wheatwine I've had lately... much less sweet and not cloying at all.. figgy maltiness.. with some chocolate essence.. mild caramel and toffee.. a little bit of spicy alcohol is present but adds to the overall package.. still very pleasing after all this time.. no oxidation at all.. very balanced.. the body is a firm medium with perfect carbonation.. a subtle smokey flavor emerges as it warms up.. again adds a nice layer of complexity... it really blossoms when it hits room temperature.

Really very nice.. and I am not getting any indication that this is heading down hill yet... Thanks a ton Mark.... This is one of my "White Whale" brews.. and it was worth the hunt... I know there wasn't a "Moby Dick 2" but I may try to score another bottle or two to cellar and bring out at various tastings... Good stuff that should be shared.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had been holding onto this one since last year. Now that the redux has been brought out I really wanted to try the original to see how it held up. Served this one right out of the cellar, this gold foil capped, twenty two ounce bomber was poured into a Bell's Tulip and consumed on 10/06/2008.

The pour on this one was definitely decent. A rich, caramel color brown with a good amount of haziness and cloudiness to it. Some nice sediment at the bottom of the glass. A head of about an inch and a half rose up from the bottom and settled down gracefully onto the top leaving behind some decent side glass lacing. A small amount of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was charged with alcohol at first. This mellowed though as it started to warm and ended up with a nice and very sweet malt mixture here. Nice notes of caramel, brown sugar, hints of molasses and a touch of dark fig like fruit. Interesting flavor here now as well, as it all combined in together. Nice notes here of caramel and earthy malts come rolling across the tongue. Very rich with a sweet sugar like flavor that blended in very well with a light touch of alcohol that rounded out the profile really very nicely. Smooth as silk, as the 11% was noticeable, but not overwhelming in anyway. This was definitely a sipper though as about half way through the bottle I was definitely starting to feel it for sure.

Overall this was a very solid beer that I would have no issues with trying again. Good to see Harpoon bring it back to life, as it is quite different then anything else I have ever tried in the style. Very solid and I would do this again.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz. bomber: Cracked out another one from the dark recesses of the fridge. This one pours a dark brown color, with a small tan head. The head doesn’t linger or leave any lacing. The aroma had some chocolate, plums and caramel to it. A touch of sweetness also. The taste is good. I get some notes of chocolate on top of a caramel/toffee sweetness. Some dark fruits (maybe plums) hiding down in there also. Not bad.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

On a cool night here in Jacksonville, while I sit on the love seat and contemplate the coming autumn to Northern Florida, I pop the cap on my bottle of Harpoon's Triticus Ale. I received this beer in a trade well over a year ago.

The simple but classic label gives the necessary details of this beer: Session 10 of Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series, ABV of 11.5%, 57 IBU, and brewed by Todd & Jason Alstrom. A little more research yielded the fact that this wheat wine was brewed using 50% wheat, which can vary within this style. Honestly, this is my first written review of a wheat wine, but the bottle of Westvleteren 12 is still too intimidating to drink.

With these thoughts and knowledge at mind, I popped the cap on brown, ubiquitous 22 oz. bomber bottle and poured my GLBC Christmas Ale snifter full. The beer poured a deep, dark mahogany brown that lightened on the edges as I peered down into the snifter. The color took me by surprise, although I had read the about the inclusion of chocolate and caramel wheat in the recipe, I had expected color very much like an American Barley Wine, like the '05 Old Boardhead I drank last week. The head on the Triticus, even with a very vigorous pour, failed to ever really materialize. A few tiny, lonely bubbles hung out around the edges of the beer. No head came about after some agitation and swirling; in fact, the beer itself had no real visible carbonation in the glass and appeared viscous.

The nose was chocolate dominated with brown sugar and faint hints of banana in the background. The beer's smell opened as it warmed and I cradled the glass in hands. I swirled it again and see the viscous, chocolate scented liquid coat the inside of the glass. I take a sip and stop. The cool air coming through the window and the cool, but warming alcohol of the beer pair together perfectly. Thinking of a message board discussion I read earlier in the day on BA, I instantly think that this beer would go well with a cigar, but I can never keep them lit.

The beer tastes of muted chocolate, and the low level of carbonation rewards you by rolling around and over the tongue and its different tasting zones. The 11.5% abv warms my face, and the flavors of the beer open, but remain muted and subtle. This is not a beer that beats you over the face. There is a dryness to the finish and post swallow mouth, but there are not big, taste ruining hops. The chocolate flavors transition to a subdued, classic barley wine maltiness. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light but medium bodied and quite complex. The 57 ibu, at least at this point in age, is quite subdued.

This may not be the most drinkable beer because of its high abv, but - especially during this period of cooling weather - I could sit down to a bomber or two of these with a friend. Too bad this was a one time brew - at least at this point. We may be lucky and the bros could bring this back when they open their own brewery or brew pub.

So I sit still on the love seat fulfilled with one attempt at tasting and reviewing this beer. This is the season for this beer or this style. I could enjoy a snifter of this warming beer on a cool, Ohio thanksgiving, just prior to or just after a big thanksgiving meal with a few other people.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle. Finally getting around to cracking one of these. Pours into my glass a deep, dark brown color with tan edges. A small light tan head appears and lingers as a ring around the top. Probably the darkest Wheat Wine I've yet to sample. Aromas start with a mix of rich caramel and chocolate. A touch of dark berries shows up along with an underlying spiciness. Slight yeast tone and herbal hops on the backbone.

First sip brings a nice, slightly grainy malt upfront that is an immediate rush of chocolate and caramel flavors. It flows down with some berry tones, a touch of coffee and a sturdy spiciness. Finishes with some yeasty afterthoughts and a light herbal hop bitterness. Overall, a tasty wheat wine with little to no alcohol in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creaminess to it. The beer never gets overly heavy on the palate. Pretty easy to take back considering its abv. Overall, I found this to be a quite tasty wheat wine and one unlike any other I've sampled before. I wish I had a bottle or two more as I think this will age nicely into the foreseeable future.

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%

Caveat: The day this beer was released I purchased two cases. I have either drank or traded almost all of these bottles and am down to four or five and finally decided to review this beer. Honestly, when I opened my first bottle I thought this beer was a high octane, whacked-out, Barry-bonds-juice beer. So I put all the rest of the bottles on storage for 6 months.

Six months later tis beer had mellowed out and has not stopped melloing out and improving since. Perhaps one of my favorite late night aperatif beers available. I am really into port and sherry beer and this beer is a superlative of superlatives of an alternative.

Chilled it for 3 weeks before opening. I recently moved and wanted to make sure the yeast had settled down. Put it on the counter for 20 minutes before cracking it open. Poured a fairly flat garnet-black. Dense white foam at first that dissolved to flat looking wine with a slight scuzzy top. Absolutely none of the chunky yeast bits I have read about in the past.

Perhaps the only thing about this beer that has decreased with time is the nose. At first, it was full of heat and pepper. Now I find t is more subtle and malty. Some slght candy tones are present as well.

Flavors have really mellowed with time and are niceley balanced against all the alcohol. Whole lot of candy going on. I am picking out caramel, licorice and toffee. Malts are slick and sweet--really just lacquer up the tongue. Some slight heat from the alcohol balances against the candy sweetness. Very full and vinuous mouthfeel. Totally takes over the palate. Heat from the alchol does build up throughout the bottle but eases becauses of its effects. This beer has improved beyond all belief and I really do enjoy sampling this on those nights where I need to celebrate nothing.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Wow. Hello sexy!

I've been sitting on this beer for some time now. It originally came into my possession through the generosity of BA great Warriorsoul. It has been patiently waiting in my aging closet for roughly 18 months. I have been reserving this for my 100th BA beer review. So here we go...

My experience with wheat wines has left me ill-prepared for what now lies in the over-sized wine glass upon my desk. Far from the thin, hazy bundle of tawny liquid, alcohol vapors and raw wheat aromas that I might have expected, this beer is a plum-colored, mocha-headed beauty with an opacity in the 90s. Rocking the glass gently paints the sidewalls of the glass with thick sticky headfoam as surely as if I had applied it with a full-nap roller.

On the nose can be found equally surprising and enticing components. A delightfully rich aroma stolen from chocolate-swirled baked oatmeal leads while quiet alcohol and dank green hops provide balance.

On the tongue the strong alcohol is instantly apparent as it quickly warms everything it touches. The mildly roasty chocolate notes now mingle with the wheat grain in a palate-pleasing tug-of-war between tanginess and sweetness.

I do not wish to denounce this fine beer, nor speak ill of it in any way through unwarranted speculations concerning its lineage, but one might be forced (if one were to be honest with one's self) to examine the possibility that this beautiful wheat wine's mother may in fact have been visited in the night by an exemplary (if somewhat deceptive and scandalous) Strong English Porter. I'm just saying...

The mouthfeel hits home, light and sticky like so much cotton candy. You are left with the feeling of having eaten a satisfying meal and capping it with a mug of Irish whiskey and coffee.

This beer is really nothing like I was expecting and it is even better than I was hoping for. I saved this beer for my 100th review here since both it and this forum were made by the same people. Kudos Bros and thanks for your thoughtful take on this too rare style and as well for the web space in which to post my drivel concerning it. See you in Purgatory.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a fine looking beer to say the least. Deep opaque burnt mahagony with ruby edges. A tightly wound tan head has great retention with some sticky lacing considering the ABV.

Love Barley and Wheat wine style ales especially the English approach with a sweeter maltiness and less hop and from the nose this beer seems to lend towards that direction. Sweet milk chocolate with a toasty caramel backing. Toffee aromas with black mission fig, raisin, prune, almond, and black currant aromas. A beer that is hard to drink as you don't want to remove your nose from the snifter.

Taste falls off a bit and isn't as refined as the nose. Maybe already exceded maturation or just simply in a stale state like a nice Bordeaux that can open up in a few years. Smyrna and black mission fig dominate the mouth with hints of milk chocolate. Alochol is overly warming in this beer as well. Big burn in both the chest and stomace although oddly enough no traces in the mouth. Milk chocolate wafers with burnt caramel, and honeyed toast. Prune and rasin on the medium finish with a nice glyceryl streak too lend a hand to mouthfeel.

Luckily I have another bottle of this too see if the beer is just in a stale state and may open up in a few years. Overall a damn good beer that I wish I could have tried fresh.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Ok, just found my review of Triticus from last year.
This review was done the day after the '06 EBF in Boston. Woke up to 12 inches of snow on the ground with more falling from the sky. Me and Cooperrip looked out of our 7th floor room at the John Hancock Convention Center at 9 a.m. to find not a single car or human on the street. "Looks like we're staying here". No food, no bar in the hotel, way too f'n windy and cold to venture out yet, so we settled in with beer we ended up with from the previous day/night.
Thanks to Drew from Harpoon for the Growler. This was the start of a good but long day of good beer and very bad cable tv.

Poured into my Thomas Hooker pint glass. Dark, chocolaty brown body with a decent sized fluffy light tan head. Nice resiliancy in the head with some decent lacing.
Alcoholic nose that was malty with over-ripe stone fruit and chocolate covered raisins.
Bitter, but not overwhelmingly so on the tongue. Malty and smooth with some hoppiness coming through towards the back. Light coffee bitterness played through with a mingling of bittersweet chocolate and wheaty huskiness.
Thick mouthfeel, but rather inviting, even at 9:30 a.m. Finished a bit dry.

Nice beer from the Brothers, and a great one to sip when snowed in in Beantown.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

appearance: Poured into a snifter, a low, light tan head is formed and soon recedes. The beer is a deep brown with a touch of red...very unexpected for a wheat wine.

smell: Crisp, clean wheat and hop spice complimented by roasted barley that gives an aroma of dry cocoa. Only a touch of ethanol is noted. Some grassy noble hop character comes out after it warms for awhile. Straightforward, balanced, and well done. Just a touch more depth is all I'd like, though too much would take away from the subtlety I enjoy in a WW, so it's hard to complain.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is medium, and the body a heavy medium. Nice mouthfeel, the carbonation and body compliment each other and it is full without being overbearing.

taste: Spicy, clean wheat with a moderate touch of roasted barley. The roast is at just the right level, adding some bitter chocolate to the flavor while not overpowering the subtle wheat. A touch of sugary, dark tree fruits, well balanced. A moderate, crisp hop flavor is found and a medium bitterness dries out the finish as some roast lingers. Just the slightest touch of ethanol fume after the swallow. Crisp and clean while retaining flavor, as a wheat wine should be in my mind; and Triticus accomplises this better than any other WW I've had.

drinkability: The ABV is disguised exceptionally in this beer; and it's a damn good, though unusual wheat wine. Quite the a sipper.

Received waaay back in 2005 from ppoitras in BiF 24...cellared since. I can definitely say that it seems to have cellared very well.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Sampled at the Odds and Ends Tasting on 8/16/06: Dark brown color with a minimal beige head that disappears almost immediately. Very little lacing is apparent. Malty aroma, with some smoke. Medium-bodied with a bright almost medicine’y character. Oak, malt and pine flavors are intersperced with some sharp alcohol. The finish is strong and sweet. Seems a little disjointed but fairly enjoyable nonetheless.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

6/18/2005

Appearance:

Pours a still dark brown with a fringe of tan lacing.

Aroma:

Aromas of plum, chocolate and lots of alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very aggressive with dark fruit flavors and a caramel sweetness that coats the mouth. High in alcohol, which is apparent, but fairly well balanced.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz bomber, from the infamous "NoBS Bif" and weymouthmike

appearance: gold wrapped standard harpoon bottle...pours an intriguing mahogany, dark grape, ruby accents...very dark for the wheat wine classification...very little cream-tan head and only slight lacing

smell: immediate reaction is barleywine, dry raisin/date,really big sweet malt touch, plenty of booze, light sweet chocolate...nice

taste: its well beyond the "wheat wine" stage at this point, more of a barleywine with a light wheat background...alcohol is very present immediately but not abrasive...dripping green hop bite with strong bitterness, slightly woody, booze soaked plum, raisin, date...very tasty brew, of any classification

mouthfeel: super creamy and thick, medium-full body, moderate bitterness, alcohol warming throughout

drinkability: very easy going down despite the force, 22oz bomber will be a rewarding task i think

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Dark red to near black body, floating sediment visible, topped by a level beige head which starts as a slab before quickly settling as a table top.

Rich aroma, sweet, pleasing alcohol, deeply malty, inticing.

Taste is also rich and sweet. Sweetness with depth, like great dark chocolate, not cloying at all. An abundance of dark fruits with the dark chocolate. Warming but no alcohol burn. Big and clean at the same time.

Mouthfeel is sull, thick but not syrupy.

Drinkability? Dangerous does not begin to describe it. Amazing how easily this goes down.

This earns a place on my short list of favorite great wheat beers. Too good to be a one timer, I hope we see this again sometime.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

A - this wheat wine pours a dark mahogany brown, nearly black, with a 3/4 finger Dunkin Donuts Coffee Coolatta colored

S - dark raisiny or date aroma, smells like barleywine, this has a strong alcohol aroma as well, and there is a definite molasses aroma as well

T - tastes like a wheaty barleywine, very tasty, a nice roasted malt flavor, the flavor complexity is subtle and mellow, especially for such a high ABV. dee-lish

M - smooth and sensual down the gullet

D - high, the only drawback is the aforementioned ABV

The Bros did a great job, thanks guys!

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance – This is a very dark brown in color, presumably from the darkish malts used to create this beer. The head came up good for such a high ABV boozer. It left nice lacing on the inside of my Chimay glass.

Smell – The 50% malt/wine mixture takes away from the traditional WW bouquet, and the big hopping here gives this nose a super complex one two three punch. Then you’ve got some chocolate notes to top things off. There’s a lot of different smells in here, almost too much for me to try and pick a part or really soak in.

Taste – This ale has a split personality. On the one hand, you can taste the big wheat wine that is almost like a straight barley wine. Either way, it’s very winey and boozy with a strong date and tobacco flavor.

On the other hand, you have a chocolaty flavor almost like a light chocolate stout, complete with dark, roasty malts. Somewhere on a third hand you have some fairly large hopping

All together a lot of flavors and, like I said, maybe a bit much for me. I’d have preferred maybe splitting these flavors up into several different beers and am hard pressed to determined why they were all stuffed into one beer.

Mouthfeel – This is almost full in the body with a big, bitter tobacco dryness in the last half of the sip.

Drinkability – This is a big beer to hop by yourself, and like I said it has so many huge flavors that you can’t do anything more than sip away at it. It’s nice but I think tries to do too much.

Comments – I’d like to give a big BA shout out to BeerGuy for visiting us here in Seattle and bring out a Triticus for skyhand’s Broken Fridge tasting.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Session 10. How cool is it to see Jason's and Todd's signatures and 'Beer Advocate' on a bottle of beer? Very, very cool. I know you're busy guys, but please keep brewing. I'd like to thank an incredibly generous BA, far333, for sending me this bomber out of the blue.

Dark chestnut when sitting on the coaster, deoxygenated blood red with dusky orange borders when backlit with indirect sunlight. The three finger head is gold-influenced toasted ecru in color and is thickly creamy and reasonably persistent. It melts like toffee mousse and leaves thick streamers of sudsy lace on the upper portion of the glass as it does so.

Since I've only had one Wheat Wine before, I'm not at all sure what Triticus should smell like. Smells like a well-behaved Barley Wine to me, and a good one at that. The nose isn't overly chocolate wheat- or caramel wheat-like, but I do believe I can appreciate their contributions. It's mostly fruity with concentrated cherries at the front of the pack. Amazingly, there's no trace of the generous ABV in the nose.

Yep, the Barley Wine comparison just cannot be ignored. No surprise I guess since, as I understand it, WWs are simply BWs brewed with a preponderance of wheat malt. The malt dominance and the now easily appreciated cocoa and dark caramel flavors give the beer much more of an English Barley Wine vibe than an American one.

The malt backbone--while gargantuan--is offset nicely by bitter hops. One of which, I'll bet, starts with the letter 'C'. The flavor is akin to rich, sticky toffee pudding flecked with shredded cherries and grapefruit zest, then drizzled ever so slightly with melted chocolate. It's a fine concoction that is becoming more flavorful and is melding more tightly with warming. Pretty close to cool room temperature would seem to be ideal.

Alcohol is a component of the flavor profile, but with such an elevated ABV it could hardly be otherwise. I imagine that the beer will be good for some time yet given the ingredients, but for those who are waiting for the alcohol to be well-incorporated or for the hops to lose whatever potency they may have had immediately after bottling, you need wait no longer. Triticus is tremendously drinkable right now.

The body is impressive. Because of the prodigious load of wheat malt, it has mouth-filling girth to spare. And because of the use of wheat instead of barley, it has a polished edges softness that could only be achieved by aging a Barley Wine for several years. Absolutely lucious, belly warming beer. A perfect, subdued level of carbonation is the icing on this delicious Wheat Wine cake.

Triticus Ale is the best Harpoon Brewery beer that has ever entered my mouth. I'm not surprised that Todd and Jason, with their all-encompassing knowledge of All Things Beer, came up with a killer recipe that drinks like a charm. Like I said, keep 'em coming guys. If Triticus is any indication, your brewing future is dazzlingly bright.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

I bought two cases of this from Jaspers home brew when it first came out. This was the second wheat wine style beer I had ever had to that point (it's 3 as of this tasting) and just the story of how it was made was a can't resist selling point. That said, this bottle has been in the cellar since early August of 05.

A – Wonderful black with a ruby edge on the glass when held to the light. Very small tan head that lasted the full glass.

S – A treat to smell, a little hard to nail down. Definitely a malty thick aroma with a definite alcohol aroma. There is a spicy / hop undertone that balances out the aroma nicely.

T/M – Strong malty taste. Almost a vinous quality to the brew, not cloying but definitely a rich experience. Alcohol level makes itself known in a warming feel to the beer as approaches room temp.

D – Very easy to enjoy and aging well. One of those brews I'd have more regularly if it wasn't a limited edition apparently not going to be repeated beers. 8 left in the cellar. Dilema central. Can't wait for the next time I have one of these.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Thansk to PPoitras for the bottle.
Pours a deep, dark chestnut body with some red/amber specks and a light tan and white head.
Aromas of honey, molasses, caramel and some cola. sweet aromas of molasses, cocoa and honey.
Flavors of chocolate covered honey and nougat to start, almost like a candy bar. This is quickly cut a by a fairly sharp and tangy hop bittering. Striking difference in front and back flavors, should meld togther nicely with a little time.
Mouthfeel was pretty full-bodied with a real vinous feel and just a hint of the high ABV. Actualy, quite a nice surprise that this was not an alcohol-fueled monster that the ABV would indicate. Again, striking dichotomy of rich, earthy malts and sharp almost tangy, acidic bittering.
Drinkability is solid now but will likley improve a great deal with some softening in the cellar.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

I bought a bunch of these back in June of last year and still have a few left as I was hoping to see how it aged. I love how this is tasting now. The beer pours a dark brown with very minimal head. The aroma is great - full of molasses, caramel, and malts. I taste molasses and alcohol with a fine mix of hops as well. The mouthfeel is soft and thick. It is surprising how drinkable this is considering the ABV! Thanks to the bros for this fine brew.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

A very nice beer, like a barleywine. It is a sneaky beer that gives you a buzz after a few sips but doesn't have an alcohol "bite" although it's at 11.5%. It is very smooth and well balanced and very drinkable, not as heavy as a barleywine. Very good for minimal aging, it is ready to drink now (do serve it at cellar temperature) and ddrink it with some food would be great. I would buy this beer again.
Drink it in your Rapscallion Cognac glass...

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #10 - Triticus from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall