1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #13 - Kellerbier - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #13 - KellerbierHarpoon 100 Barrel Series #13 - Kellerbier

good

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  5.20% ABV

Our Kellerbier is made in the German style that is traditionally matured in un-bunged wooden barrels in caves. The lower alcohol and low carbonation accent the balance between the generous amounts of German malts and hops used to make this beer. Surprisingly thirst quenching, this beer goes wonderfully with many different food styles—or by itself. Prosit!

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-05-2006)
Reviews by Boilermaker88:
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug. Had a slightly hazy dark amber (nearly brown) coloring, with ample carbonation stoking a thick off-white head. Head displaying great durability and left thick sheets of lace.
Powerfully hoppy nose, at least at the outset. Fresh, leafy aroma that didn't play second fiddle to the toasty malt notes. Touch of yeastiness, too. Tastes like bread initially and only for a short time. Light caramel sweetness didn't stand a chance against the rush of potent hops bitterness. Slightly metallic bitterness in the finish. Feel was medium-light, dry, and lively thanks to all that carbonation.
Overall, a pretty tasty brew, quite drinkable. Well-crafted and worth picking up.

Boilermaker88, May 08, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy (unfiltered), coppery orange. Nice small head & good carbonation visible. Lacing throughout the glass as it was emptied.

Smell: A wonderul yeaty, malty, slightly fruity aroma with a slight hint of citrus in the nose. No hoppy traces in the aroma...

Taste: Very nice malty flavor with an excellent hop bitterness in the finish. Slight traces of orange peel from the hops. The bitterness becomes more apparent as you consume more.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied lager. Clings to the mouth slightly but ends very dry in the finish.

Drinkability: This is a very smooth drinking lager. Very clean tasting & keeps the palate sharp.

Comments: I enjoyed this kellerbier, aside from the fact that it was a reward for brewing my second batch of homebrew! I found the flavor very nice for an unfiltered lager & I almost found it ale-like. I could envision having a few of these in a night.

JMD71, Mar 21, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

I found this last weekend and thought it would be interesting. I had never tried a kellerbier. A very nice beer. It was a hazy orange color with a thick head that retained well, and some lacing. It had a fresh grain odor. The taste was malt and hops, with a little sweetness. The hops lingered well. I thought this was a rather assertive beer, very drinkable. I'd like to have some on a really hot summer day.

lordofthewiens, Apr 28, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance - Pours a slightly cloudy copper color with a really nice off-white head that sticks around, clinging to the glassware.

Smell - roasty maltiness, ash, wood, got a certain mustiness to it...pleasant though. Very rustic smelling, if that makes any sense at all.

Taste - More roastiness, graham cracker flavors, mustiness, slight hop spicy finish, bread crust, finishes kind of dry, maybe even a tad zesty...leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. Again, it's a very rustic beer...that's the only word I can come up with at the moment to describe it. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, spot-on carbonation...

Drinkability - very enjoyable brew. i could definitely enjoy a few, at least, of these. This, along with the smoked porter, is my favorite 100 barrell series from Harpoon. Im glad they brought this one back.

Doomcifer, Sep 08, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

22 oz brown bomber with a batch #.

A- Thin bubbly lace leaves as much as it can behind with each sip, nearly clear tawny color. Sediment was not decanted into the glass.

S- Malty sweet aroma, cake and cotton candy ... doughy biscuits.

T&M- Medium body, crisp and slick on the palate with a touch of smoothness. Sturdy hop profile from bitterness to the oily flavor. Maltiness seems a tad overshadowed by the hops and the growing nutty yeast, steely almost. Yeast character takes over the after taste with a bitter flavor.

D- Flavorful but nothing seems to mesh here as the hops and yeast clean house, still worth a try.

Jason, Feb 19, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Bomber bottle, pours dull ornagey amber, tan thin, tiny bubble head, leaves loads of fine lacing and sheets along the glass. Bold nose of flowers, grainy hops, bready yeasts, nice. Bold fresh tasting noble hops evident here, floral, metalic, smooth well rounded mouthfeel. Very nicely done, fine sessioner or with food. Finish is of more oily hops, smooth malts and goodness. I'm gonna buy more of this before its gone, if I can find it!

Billolick, Apr 02, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

bpfrush, Nov 14, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Being my first Keller Bier, I did not know what to expect. I expect it to give me that German lager lovin' (and I can definitely be a German lager lovin' lover), but other than that, I was in the dark.

The pour is dark amber that is quite hazy, as expected as an unfiltered lager. The head is generous and frothy. I get a lot of deep roasted malt in the nose, also a bit of sourdough bread. It has quite interesting taste. Delicious and unique, I had a lot of trouble putting my finger on it. It's malty, some yeast, a hop bitter and a surprisingly crisp aftertaste. Fuck it, I like it. That's good enough for me.

I plowed through the 22 oz. bomber - half trying to wrap my palate around it / half thoroughly enjoying it on a hot New England summer day.

sloejams, Jul 28, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Very active pour, Thick, healthy, frothy head that seems to last forever. seems very fresh from the bottle. Appearence is reeally nice...very inviting! Dark Golden color nearly clear. Smell is good, but not noteable. The first hit is a blend of malt and hops that is very well balanced, yeast and wheat come through after a minute and finishing with clean finish dominated by the hops. This is one of my alltime favorite Harpoon offerings, Drinkabilty is almost a 5 IMO because I couldv'e had 10 of these!

GratefulBeerGuy, May 20, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Forget the style and it is a good drink, quite bitter with malt kicking in at the finish. A good bitterness,though a tad astringent until you get used to it, a tad of spice and drinkable. Nice head, fresh, golden body.A nice summer beer. One dimensional. This could be some else's ESB.

Sammy, Nov 19, 2006

pastramionrye7, Jul 16, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

This had a lot of nice foam; some great head retention; some funk and hop crispness in the smell.

Immediately you are hit with a citrusy and piney hop quality. It is somehow intermingled right along with the malt. The mouthfeel was consistently medium. What makes it differnent than an IPA is that with the IPA you are usually looking for that malt to come in a balance out the hops and save the day. Here, the lager crispness allows the two to sit together and working in a different way. I did enjoy this, but I guess I just wouldn't need more than a bomber full.

andjusticeforale, Aug 14, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from a six-er
A - a light amber with a thick head. Spreads lace all around. Surprisingly clear - and I say that because I thought Kellerbier was supposed to be unfiltered. Maybe the bomber is... I'll have to search for one.

S - Nice and toasty, a bit nutty too. I didn't catch much hop aroma, it's mostly a fresh bready malt smell.

T - Although the hops weren't very present in the nose, their bitterness shined through. It's very powerful. This combined with the dry toastiness of the malt create a kind of roasted/burnt flavor like stout. Very dry.

M - The description says it has low carbonation, but it seemed pretty average to me. It has a medium-full body.

D - It might be a tad too bitter at first with not a lot of other predominant flavors. Though after my first bottle I really appreciated how clean and smooth it was (the aftertaste was great too).

matsputis, Jul 28, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Not quite sure what a kellerbier is, but give me more!

I crack the bottle and stuck my nose to have a whiff and wham! I knew that this beer was going to be good. It reminds me of good german lager, the kind I've had in Germany on tap in a bar. Drinking this reminds me of my student day aus Deutchland. (I'm not trying to be a snob, beer is better in Germany, face it)

Pours into my mug in amber waves and keeps a head for a long time. It is a bit cloudy, but in a nice way. The beer is unfiltered but not hazy like a hefeweizen.

Good crisp carbonation, maybe too much, but is refreshing. Tastes like grains with sweet malt aftertaste. The taste you get when you eat some malted grains (try it). No hops in the nose and not much in flavor. This beer relies on it's malt flavor. A real chewy beer that quenches without being too heavy.

aluskungs, Aug 05, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Overall a pretty decent beer. This is my first time with this relatively rare style. Not much to gauge it against but itself. If you approach reviewing newbie styles as a newbie to craft beer I think you get a lot more out of your review, rather than judging it (unfairly) against another style.

A. Golden red in appearance, head quickly dissipated. Minimal lacing, hold to the sides, not just the back.

S&T. Pretty fruity up front. Nothing too enhancing in its flavors, but so goodness going on.

M&D&O. Not bad. Worth a try. This beer isn't going to win any contest; in fact, it'd make for a pretty decent session beer.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Mar 27, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

I very much enjoyed this brew. Poured a bit hazy due to it being unfiltered. Very crisp smelling, malty briskness upfront. It has real body for a lagar and so mellow. This is one of the smoothest beers I have had in quite some time. Impressive. Not a huge and assertive beer, so it can be enjoyed without food easily, maybe even for it's benefit.

AaronRed, May 24, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I received this one a while back, and had honestly just not gotten around to trying it and because of that it literally has been sitting in thee fridge for a couple of months, but no matter as I knew it should still be good, and that I would eventually get around to trying it. Last night when looking for something different I grabbed this one out and proceeded to pour it into a footed pilsner glass right out of the fridge.

Appearance - The pour was very nice with a rich caramel and honey colored amber being presented in front of me. Very nicely clouded and hazy, this was definitely looking the part. There was a very nice three inch high head of white lace which rose up over the top and stayed around for what honestly seemed like forever before finally settling down into a rocky and crater filled layer of foam. Deep side glass lacing and lots of carbonation only served to enhance the overall look of this one.

Smell - The aroma as well was absolutely wonderful. A rich sweet smelling lager. There were loads of caramel and rye hints spread though out, as well as some light floral hop notes that were really very well done. I was initially shocked by the hop tones, but later very nicely surprised by their overall presence and it really help deepen the profile a good bit.

Taste - The flavor was really well done. Started off with a bit of caramel infused malts, which rolled across the tongue and settled with a wonderful smooth presence. Some very nice earthy notes then followed and continued with the very grainy profile. Some light touches of floral hops then proceeded to start coming through on top of this. Hints of grass, and some light lemon even playing around in the back. Notes of banana and peach could be found. The finish was nice and clean, but left the lingering flavor of caramel and rye in its wake. Very interesting indeed.

Mouthfeel - A super smooth, and very clean light bodied lager. It had that nice presence that really let the flavor sit and stir for a while, but at the same time had a really nice sense of cleanness and crispness. Great carbonation only enhanced this fact.

Drinkability - This was an outstanding session ale. I would have loved to have drunk this one all night long. It was smooth, clean, low ABV and a great profile. Not much else needs to be said, as this was top notch all around.

Overall I though this was an excellent beer. I am not overly familiar with the style, but I really liked this one. If this flavor is any indication of the style, I am going to be one happy man for sure. I would recommend to anyone to try and find this one. One of the better beers I have had from Harpoon.

mikesgroove, Jun 06, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a nice clean copper colour with a big frothy white head that's even a bit creamy. Head retention time is very nice and there is a fair amount of residue that's left in the glass. Apparently a kellerbier is supposed to be a bit cloudy. As this is the first I've sampled, I'm not sure, but this one was definitely very crisp and clear. Maybe not in line with the style, but it still looked nice nonetheless.

The aroma is faintly caramel malt at first but then a nice bit of subtle floral hops comes in to play. There's a bit of toasted grain here as well, along with possibly some nut notes.

The flavour is similar to the aroma, with an overall sweetness coming through the most and the hops flavours coming into play primarily at the finish of each sip. Toasted notes are kept to a minimum in the flavour. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit of a tinny feel to it. Average at best.

This one was alright overall. Again, it's my first time trying the style and while I can't say I hated it, I wasn't that crazy about it either.

SixpointJMH, Oct 29, 2007
3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

22oz bomber purchased at the brewery. Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is merely alright. The appearance is promising: it has a creamy looking head with lace that remains on the side of the glass. The smell is rich with hops. Unfortunately, the taste is too one-dimensional. There is a very simple hop bite that tastes too much like marijuana, seriously. It is kind of drinkable, but just isn't really satisfying.

While I don't particularly like this beer, I like what Harpoon is doing. This beer typifies whats great about the 100 Barrell Series. A brewer got to try a unique style, and the public (including myself) was educated about an unusual style.

bignick, Apr 18, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Golden Amber color with an off-white head that is slightly tan, but mostly white. It has a malty, yeasty, hoppy smell that is pretty good. It has a good taste, especially for an ale. The smell kind of threw me off, but I like the taste better than the aroma. It has a roasted malty base with a really nice hoppy finish. It has a good mouthfeel with the right amonunt of carbonation and it is a pretty drinkable beer, if it wasn't retired I'd get some more of this.

erosier, Jan 28, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Tried this last night and the rep and I agreeded that when you first sip it tastes a lot like the original Harpoon ale, but after awhile the flovors of the Munich Dark come out. Very drinkable. I can see this already coming back for an encore and it has only just come out.

TrickKnee, Mar 28, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

I don't drink many lagers. Frankly I can't remember the last time I bought a beer touted as a lager at the store. There was a thread about the launch of this brew and a lot of people, myself included, posted saying they had not heard of or even tried this style. Of course I had to try it.

I poured my beer after a day in the cellar. approx 50 degrees.

A - pours a golden brown. some haze, but not as much as I would've thought for an unfiltered lager.

S - definite lager smell. The yeast gives it away every time. Light floral hops but there is no question this is a lager.

T - quite nice! There is a balance of amber malt and hops that I found very well done. There seems to be a higher malt content than I would expect from a lager. Not quite sweet, but enough malt to tip the scale from the primary hops and lager yeast flavor I was expecting.

M/D - Very nice. Settles down well and is very drinkable. I could easily have gone back for another.

I could see buying this as a six pack for the fridge.

barleywinebrewer, Mar 10, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +5%

Pours a beautiful russet brown with amber highlights and a sticky, lace-leaving off white head. Aromas are grainy and hoppy (true to style), with the grain component coming off as especially brusque. On the palate, big bitterness first off, with a slight citric edge to the hops, and juicy carbonation. The mid palate is when the malt comes in -- it has a bread-and-marmalade quality, although the fruit is very faint. Mouthfeel is a bit rough with hop oils and a raw grain feel, but it's pleasant nonetheless. This beer was surprisingly good, one of the better American kellerbiers I've had (not that there are a lot of them). One of the better 100 Barrel Series beers I've had in a while.

geexploitation, Aug 23, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy orange/brown color with a thin white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malt, spice, yeast and a good amount of pale hops.

T: The taste is nicely balanced with flavors of pale hops, caramel, lager yeast and some smokiness. The malt character is hearty even though there’s not a lot of sweetness. The after-taste is bready and slightly bitter.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, decent kick, it’s the first beer that I’ve had of its style, but it’s quite intriguing. I could drink a few of these in an evening, but I might go for something a little stronger after a while.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 21, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

This sucker poured out into my pilsner glass with a HUGE (I mean, six freaking fingers... I almost NEVER have to use two hands!) head that was foamy and rocky. It left cool lacework, and took a while to subside. It was a nice amber color, and oddly wasn't really hazy as I would have expected.

The aroma was of medium malts, and slightly yeasty, with a definite lager smell. It was not grainy, however; it was nice, and there was a small amount of hop presence noticeable.

Taste was not at all what I expected. First I was hit with an intense bitterness, with a lot of hop resins. This was followed by some caramel malts, and some wheat-like character. The flavor was definitely a lager flavor, but the hoppiness carried through to the aftertaste. It was not grainy at all. My first taste was a "What the f*@#?" experience, but it grew on me quickly. By the fourth or fifth swallow it was reminding me of an "India Pale Lager". But that lager taste... what an interesting and unusual break from the norm.

Mouthfeel was pretty good for the style, not overly chewy, but a bit of bite from the hops. Overall it was good.

Drinkability... pretty good, but I think more than one at a sitting would be too much for me. It was good, but that "different" character would get to be a bit much after a while.

connecticutpoet, Mar 16, 2006