UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

good

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

We have added natural raspberry flavor to our UFO Hefeweizen to create this beer. Consistent with the hefeweizen style, this beer is unfiltered and cloudy with a solid foamy head. UFO Raspberry has a distinctive, hazy rose color. The scent of fresh raspberries hits the nose immediately, along with a subtle bready aroma from the wheat and yeast. The body is light and the unfiltered yeast provides a soft mouthfeel. The taste of the fruit compliments the beer nicely, neither overwhelms the other. There is a faint sweetness on the palate, which finishes cleanly in a semi-dry, tart finish.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 03-01-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -65%

1.25/5  rDev -65%

1.36/5  rDev -61.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

My girlfriend LOVES this beer. So, I tried it.

Pours a light straw color with a light, bud-like head that rapidly comes and goes. Huge carbonation. Big fat bubbles. Smells like...raspberries. That's about it, maybe a hint of wheat but not much to notice. Taste is, again, of raspberries and not much else except for a funky skunky taste in the finish. It's like drinking raspberry seltzer water/beer. Very watery and very carbonated. I couldn't finish this beer, not even close. I had to hand it off to my girlfriend who gladly accepted. I'll pass. This is one beer that is safe in the fridge from me stealing from her.

1.5/5  rDev -58%

1.63/5  rDev -54.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a pink hue, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is sweet & even a little creamy with raspberry, lemon, some wheat and a faint bit of hops.

T: The taste is fruity & tart with a heavy flavor of raspberry. There’s some wheat flavor, but not as much as their regular UFO (which I like much better). The malt character is thin and there isn’t much hops at all. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, dry and slightly sticky finish.

D: Nowhere near as tasty as the original UFO, didn’t go down very easily for me, not very filling, everything I’ve had from Harpoon so far has been at least decent and some have been very good, however I did not like this beer at all.

1.75/5  rDev -51%

1.83/5  rDev -48.7%

Reviewed on 7/20/08. Bottle. Pours a light pink/red, cloudy, with a white head. Aroma of cranberry and raspberry juice. Flavor of tart raspberry, juice, barely any wheat. This tastes like juice. If you want some fruit juice, this is a good choice. If you want some beer, not so much. None of the hefe notes penetrate the sugary fruit juice of this beer. Yuck.
4/3/3/2/6 (1.8/5)

1.88/5  rDev -47.3%

Bottle 12 oz in a pint glass ...

This beer is as bad as Rex Grossman ....Which this gentleman , Grossman cost me some cash . Poured a pinkish / light red color ..The smell was fruit ( raspberry / strawberry ) nice head . Smell of Life Savers & Crystal Light . Taste was bland , boring and blah . It was better than the UFO - rubbish - . but that is not saying much . The taste is too watery for me . More like a wine cooler than a beer to me . I tried to like this , had 3 of them then wrote my notes . Gave the rest to the lads to enjoy . They still like drinking the Coors Light / Bud light swill ..Thans to Rex I did not need that $125.00 you eejit . ...Hold on to the ball ..

1.98/5  rDev -44.5%

I had this on tap at the brewery. It was tough to finish two ounces, it's overwhelmingly sweet and tastes like a wine cooler more than a beer. The majority of our group wasn't impressed with this beer. I certainly won't buy it and would suggest numerous other 'fruit' beers ahead of this one.

2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

My friend recently went to Harpoon Brewery and came back with this. It pours a, um, clear amber color with a pinkish hue? A bit disorienting. I know it's raspberry flavored, I just didn't expect a raspberry color to go along with it. There's a white fizzy head on top. Aroma is a bit underwhelming, walking the line between fruity/wheaty and just plain sour.

The taste is way too sour and fizzy for my liking. I don't mind a fruit beer every once and a while, but the raspberry syrup is too much to overcome. There is a slight wheat or bread flavor, but again, it's soured by the soda-like syrup and carbonation. Mouthfeel is way too thin for a hefe. I'll be honest, I had a hard time finishing this beer. I wouldn't even recommend it to fruit beer fans. Go with Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat if you must.

2.1/5  rDev -41.2%

This beer pours out hazy strawberry blond colored with a small white head.
The aroma is candy sweet with raspberries. It reminds me of a jolly rancher.
The flavor has traces of a regular heffeweizen, but the artificial raspberry jolly rancher flavor remains dominant.
Mouthfeel is a bit sugary and over carbonated.
Overall, this fails due to the flavor seeming artificial.

2.13/5  rDev -40.3%

A- Pours a somewhat hazy pinkish color. An off white head that leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Smells really sweet, berries and some yeast.

T- Well, one word for this raspberries. Very sweet also.

M- Very light

D- Once again the fruit beers are not for me. Glad I got to try it but I'll pass on this one.

UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall