UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

good

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

We have added natural raspberry flavor to our UFO Hefeweizen to create this beer. Consistent with the hefeweizen style, this beer is unfiltered and cloudy with a solid foamy head. UFO Raspberry has a distinctive, hazy rose color. The scent of fresh raspberries hits the nose immediately, along with a subtle bready aroma from the wheat and yeast. The body is light and the unfiltered yeast provides a soft mouthfeel. The taste of the fruit compliments the beer nicely, neither overwhelms the other. There is a faint sweetness on the palate, which finishes cleanly in a semi-dry, tart finish.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 03-01-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

As I am a fan of Hefe's, I was eager to try this beer.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my faithful Weisse glass.

A. Poured a reddish amber with a head that was big at first, but went quickly.

S. The raspberry overwhelms the aroma, but in the background the clove is trying to break through.

T. Tart and Raspberry. Will appeal to many, unless you like a taste of malt in your Hefe.

M. Mild carbonation, goes down easy.

D. Very easy to drink. A great session beer, but will not titilate your senses.

I will keep exploring this genre as I feel it could be great. However, this is more a beer for your girlfriends who want a lighter, fruity beer.

MarkSCCOT, Jul 22, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

12oz bottle -> pilsner
no date

Pours a semi-hazed golden orange with a fluffy white head that is gone in a wink. Only a small amount of floaties are visable. Tiny gobs of lace. Carbonation appears minimal

Nose: Raspberries, raspberry, and more raspberries.

A good thick body from the wheat malt is present. Wheat malts and raspberries are the dominant flavors. Some powdered sugar sweetness. A smack of light bitterness on the finish, clean.

Probably the best raspberry beer i've tasted. Easy to drink, while not being too overly sweet.

beerphan, Jul 08, 2007

This beer is so perfect. It does not have an overbearing fruity taste, though the hint of raspberries makes this a great hefeweizen. These beers went down smooth, like drinking flavored water that will truely intoxicate the mind and body, without a watered down flavor of many cheap beers. Without a doubt i could easily sit down for a night and put back a twelve pack.

This is one adventure i am glad i went on, when first trying this i was skeptical, after trying many other fruit flavored beers and being highly disappointed, this was the saving grace for flavored beer.

djcriple420, Jun 08, 2007

A - Pours an amber/red color Average head on this that subsides quickly

S - Smell is Overwhelming Fruity, Mostly Raspberry

T - Also Overwhelmingly Raspberry and Tart

M - Light Carbonation and Light Bodied

D - I enjoyed this beer, but it is too fruity to drink a lot of

Reed415, May 31, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -24%

Pours and smells like it should be very flavorful, but the taste was like weak raspberry flavored soda water. I do not usually like these flavored wheats, but I gave it a shot considering it was new to the area and I enjoy most of what Harpoon brews. Unfortantly, I could not even finish it. Maybe just not my style.

OWSLEY069, May 28, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +17%

Poured a hazy pink-gold color with a decent head. Good carbonation. The aroma is full of real raspberry scents. In many of these summer fruit beers it just tastes like fruit was added to a basic beer but this one works well. The raspberry flavor compliments the beer well creating an insanely crisp and refreshing drink. The mouth is thin to moderate. This blows the regular UFO(which i find to be quite bland) away.

kbnooshay, May 21, 2007
3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

Appears a hazy, rose colored pink with a small, off-white head that quickly fades out into nothing. No lacing is left behind for some reason. Upon swirling several times to try and recreate a foamy cap, the CO2 snaps and fizzes with veracity like an active batch of rice krispies.
Smell is of fresh raspberries, and light honey. Nothing else is really jumping out but the sweetness is reminding me of a cheap wine cooler aroma.
Taste echoes the one dimensional aromas with a citrusy, raspberry flavor that overpowers slightly and leaves a bitter sweet tart flavor lingering in the mouth.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, smooth, overly sweet with a thinness that fades into a semi-dry finish.
I was actually looking forward to trying this, as I got it as a free sample from a friend. I always enjoyed the regular UFO, so the addition of the raspberries made it interesting to grab my attention. Unfortunately, it failed to win over my tastebuds, as well.

weeare138, May 21, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Appears an amber clouded opaque tone with a largely formed rough textured head sticks around for awhile forms sporadic chunks of lacing as it dwindles the color is an off white hue with a pinkish tint to it. Aromatics contain tart raspberry with a mild citrus sharp sweet note coming about with a bready biscuit malt presence along with those mildly acidic wheat notes yeast tone gives it a funky mix as well. Flavors blend decently because the brew doesn't show off any sugary sweet concentrate kinda of like a nice tart raspberry puree here with the yeast, wheat, and malt components leveling out the vibe a bit, I actually dig this more than the UFO Hefeweizen still no clove and banana action b/c this is an American Wheat but it does the trick in delivering a fruit beer without candy sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium to light in body with enough carbonation to tickle the back of the throat with each sip overall not something that seems like a smooth sipping brew. Drinkability for me I couldn't have more than a couple of these and I wouldn't necessarily crave another one I could see how people afraid of craft brews could find comfort in something like this.

WVbeergeek, May 18, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice red color, like raspberries as expected. The aroma is strong and full of raspberry aroma. There's not much to indicate that it's a hefeweizen. Taste is a different matter though as it starts to blossom as a hefeweizen with strong raspberry overtones.The flavor is well balanced though and doesn't have the consistency of cough syrup or nothing like that. Not too sweet either.

Brad007, May 13, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

I was not a big fan of this one. I think the fruit beer balance was right on, but the raspberry flavor was off. Smell was of sharp sour raspberries, with some doughy aspects. Taste had nice malt notes, along with some good bitter hops presence. The raspberry, however was sharp and oily. It reminded my of accidentally fermented berries, or maybe a raspberry seed extract. I'm eager to try the normal UFO to compare, but the flavor of this one was not what I wanted

zdk9, May 05, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

My wife's new favorite beer. I can't share her enthusiasm. It's a hazy red/orange color with a small head. Sweet, fruity aroma with a little grain. The raspberry flavor is there, but it tastes artificial. A little malt as well. This is an OK beer, but I think I'll stick to a plain hefe.

lordofthewiens, Apr 29, 2007
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rose' color with a thin, pillowy five finger head that quickly dissapates to a thin layer of white film receding to the edge of the glass.

Smells tart, citrusy in an acidic good way. A hint of berry/rasberry comes through on the backend of my inhale...yum.

Taste is oh my! First bottle I had was so so due to the bottle being too warm. When thoroughly refridgerated the next evening, I met my favorite (relatively cheap) fruit beer: the rasberry hefe!

It's crisp, biting yet enveloping with a fresh taste. It's basically the closest thing ever to a winecooler I would actually drink. Don't pick up much on the wheat but I still enjoy this very different offering during a hot summer day.

One to two per night is more than enough.

Clean, refreshing, bursting with tart, dry carbonated berry goodness.

Solid offering. I recommend trying it at least twice.

deBeers, Apr 26, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Since this is the first hot day in quite some time here in Boston, I was in the mood for something a little different and refreshing. I gotta say Im not such a fan of the regular UFO offering, but maybe the raspberry aspect will spruce it up a bit. It poured into a Magic Hat Hocus Pocus weizen glass a pale, somewhat murky light pink. Heading was thin and minimal, but not altogether unappealing looking. In the aroma were light sweet raspberries, a bit of lime...very similar to how a fruit flavored gingerale smells. The raspberries become a bit more tart when tasting, with some green leaf flavors, more citrus notes, and maybe a bit of watermelon. Mouthfeel was light, crisp, and very refreshing. I could definitely make a session with this beer, especially on hot days like today. This might not be the best fruit brew i've tasted, but its a solid offering. Recommended.

jamie2dope, Apr 21, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

12oz bottle, freshness date on label.

Appearance - Pours a faint pink color with a haze. Two finger head forms upon a pour from a chilled bottle. Resolved into a thin head. Nice lacing remained. Good carbonation.

Smell - Strong raspberry aroma. A hint of a grassy bit, but alot of raspberry.

Taste - Nice fresh taste and clean feel. Good refreshing taste.

Mouthfeel - Thin, as expected for the style. This isn't a stout afterall. Good summer brew. The carbonation does add to the depth and gives a good "cleaning".

Drinkability - Good summer brew. I really liked the Harpoon UFO offering and decided to try this one. I was not disappointed. I'll keep this in my frige this summer for a nice refreshing offering.

Nesued, Apr 14, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Harpoon- Raspberry UFO

Appearance- Cloudy reddish orange with a thcik billowy white head. Moderate lacing.
Smell- Strong raspberry-like soda.
Taste- Heavy carbonated with strong raspberry and a malt beverage (wine cooler) like flavor.
Mouthfeel- sweet up front mellowing out in the end, but heavily carbonated throughout.

Overall- Not bad if you drink ONLY 1!

NJpadreFan, Apr 13, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured amber with a distinctive pink hue with a thick pinkish head from a 12 oz brown bottle. Lots of carbonation.

Smells of berry, esters, and some slight spiciness.

Taste is dominated by the raspberry. Some chanpagne-like flavors accompany it. Malt base is grainy.

Very drinkable, but more like a soda in my opinion, especially with the heavy carbonation.

adowney523, Apr 12, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a pretty cool looking hazy amber/pink combo colour with a slightly pink head that's fluffy and sticky. Different and nice.

The aroma is more raspberry than hefeweizen. That said, the raspberry aroma is far from overpowering, and there are still notes of wheat and yeast in the back.

Flavour is much more of the same. Raspberries again are the leader, with grain and some other citrus fruit cutting through. The flavour is tart up front wit ha bit more smoothness toward the end of each sip. Mouthfeel is light bodied and quite refreshing.

This one is enjoyable...certainly more enjoyable than I was expecting. It's got flavour and is well balanced and is a nice thirst quencher. I don't know that I could drink this all night, but I could easily have this one again. Try it.

SixpointJMH, Mar 19, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -33.1%

Hazy orange color with a small head that fizzes away quickly.

Low smell of talc and raspberry, a bit of yeasty schmootz.

Watered down, sodaesque flavor of sweet fruit, a bit tart, could be raspberry, could easily be strawberry. Slightly powdery, reminiscent of baby aspirin. I think they forgot to add the wheat.

Watery mouthfeel upfront, finishes dry.

This is just not a fruit beer, nor a hefe weizen, nor tasty. It's like fruit juice, a sweet drink for non beer drinkers who find themselves in a beer bar.

I will never drink one of these again.

far333, Mar 18, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -43.5%

My friend recently went to Harpoon Brewery and came back with this. It pours a, um, clear amber color with a pinkish hue? A bit disorienting. I know it's raspberry flavored, I just didn't expect a raspberry color to go along with it. There's a white fizzy head on top. Aroma is a bit underwhelming, walking the line between fruity/wheaty and just plain sour.

The taste is way too sour and fizzy for my liking. I don't mind a fruit beer every once and a while, but the raspberry syrup is too much to overcome. There is a slight wheat or bread flavor, but again, it's soured by the soda-like syrup and carbonation. Mouthfeel is way too thin for a hefe. I'll be honest, I had a hard time finishing this beer. I wouldn't even recommend it to fruit beer fans. Go with Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat if you must.

BBM, Mar 17, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured a rich hazy raspberry tinted pale with a great hefe head that even had just the slightest raspberry red tint to it. The aroma was strong on raspberries and not much else. The taste was also strong on raspberries but of course had the typical characteristics of a hefeweizen behind it. The beer was good and carbonated as a hefe should be. This was quite enjoyable as my taste for wheat beers grows with spring coming back in bloom.

atsprings, Mar 05, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -54.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a pink hue, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is sweet & even a little creamy with raspberry, lemon, some wheat and a faint bit of hops.

T: The taste is fruity & tart with a heavy flavor of raspberry. There’s some wheat flavor, but not as much as their regular UFO (which I like much better). The malt character is thin and there isn’t much hops at all. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, dry and slightly sticky finish.

D: Nowhere near as tasty as the original UFO, didn’t go down very easily for me, not very filling, everything I’ve had from Harpoon so far has been at least decent and some have been very good, however I did not like this beer at all.

TheManiacalOne, Mar 04, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

pours a cloudy peach / pink color with a three finger light pinkish head with some lacing to the finish. nice raspberry aroma hit you even as you pour it. nice tartness to the taste. mouthfeel was crisp, light, refreshing, dry. i was very leery about trying this beer but found it very good. i think for a summer time refresher it would be just great and i really liked the way it looked in the glass.

billybob, Feb 13, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

Bottle 12 oz in a pint glass ...

This beer is as bad as Rex Grossman ....Which this gentleman , Grossman cost me some cash . Poured a pinkish / light red color ..The smell was fruit ( raspberry / strawberry ) nice head . Smell of Life Savers & Crystal Light . Taste was bland , boring and blah . It was better than the UFO - rubbish - . but that is not saying much . The taste is too watery for me . More like a wine cooler than a beer to me . I tried to like this , had 3 of them then wrote my notes . Gave the rest to the lads to enjoy . They still like drinking the Coors Light / Bud light swill ..Thans to Rex I did not need that $125.00 you eejit . ...Hold on to the ball ..

Kudashov, Feb 05, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +15%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass, beer is a peachy cloudy color with a very small bubbly head. The smell is definitely of raspberries, almost wine cooler like. The taste is also dominated by raspberries, with the malt taste being almost completely hidden and a very light hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation. Overall, I would have to say that the downfall of the drinkability is the overpowering sweetness of the raspberries. Otherwise a good tasting beer, preferably in small amounts.

gmfessen, Nov 22, 2006
1.2/5  rDev -66.6%

My girlfriend LOVES this beer. So, I tried it.

Pours a light straw color with a light, bud-like head that rapidly comes and goes. Huge carbonation. Big fat bubbles. Smells like...raspberries. That's about it, maybe a hint of wheat but not much to notice. Taste is, again, of raspberries and not much else except for a funky skunky taste in the finish. It's like drinking raspberry seltzer water/beer. Very watery and very carbonated. I couldn't finish this beer, not even close. I had to hand it off to my girlfriend who gladly accepted. I'll pass. This is one beer that is safe in the fridge from me stealing from her.

Doomcifer, Oct 26, 2006