Harpoon Winter Warmer - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

awful

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Winter Warmer |  5.90% ABV

When you bring a glass of this dark copper ale to your lips to take your first sip you will notice the aroma of cinnamon. There is no aromatic hop added that might overpower the distinct spice scent. The medium body of this beer is formed from caramel and pale malts. These create enough body to support the spices without making the beer excessively rich. Bittering hops are added to counter the sweetness of the malt and spice. The finish of the beer is a blend of cinnamon and nutmeg. The combination of these two spices results in a balanced, pumpkin-pie flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon Winter Warmer Alström Bros

4.78/5  rDev +50.3%

If you want a taste of Christmas, this is your beer. Good to have at the Christmas get together and most people haven't had it so it would be like your gift to them. The cinnamon scent and taste makes this truely a holiday beer. It is a true New England beer.

4.75/5  rDev +49.4%

4.75/5  rDev +49.4%

4.68/5  rDev +47.2%

4.63/5  rDev +45.6%

Let me be the one to piss others off by saying this is one of the best and most unique beers I've ever had. Yes it's more of a treat than a beer, but to me, that still counts.

Look - Crisp looking container. Has a Christmas feel to it. Pours copper and settles dark amber in the glass. Highly fizzy with a great, full head.

Smell - I could smell the cinnamon and nutmeg as I was pouring it, so I knew what to expect next. The scent is extremely sweet and pleasing and builds you up for the taste.

Taste - Gave me a head rush just taking a sip. Bite hits mild to moderate, then the cinnamon and nutmeg flow over your taste buds in harmony with one another.

Mouthfeel - Almost perfect. The spices linger in almost the perfect proportion for just the right amount of time.

Drinkability - Smooth and drinkable, surprisingly drinkable. You can have as many as you want with no problems.

I'll admit, this is more of a family drink than anything else. Your wife would love it, your grandmother would love it. But that's what makes it a really, really good beer in my opinion. I wouldn't give it the time of day on a table with Guinness or Allagash, but nonetheless, a fine creation by Harpoon.

4.6/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet:

A: deep honey colored brew, medium clarity. lite amber head that tastes like, cinamon? really Christmas - y. settles leaving a wonderful full lace

S: cloves maybe?

T: unlike any beer I've tasted but I like it a lot. Like a spciy cookie but not too sweet.

M: medium- full body. no ABV bite.

D: this is RICH = flavored. no to be guzzled.

LOVE the FLAVOR! but very unusual

4.58/5  rDev +44%

I spend a few moments marveling at this pure, crystalline copper pint. Its smallish, foamy head has some of the biggest bubbles I've seen on a beer, and it dissipates very quickly into a thin nebula. Smelling cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, I wonder if I've finally found a winter ale that tastes how I expect a winter ale to taste. I'm fairly certain that no pumpkins were harmed in the making of this beer, but I associate this mix of spices so strongly with pumpkin pie that they spring to mind anyway.

I smile as I take my first swallow. Yes, I have found a winter ale that tastes how I expect a winter ale to taste. Finally. This is absolutely delicious. There's a tingle on the tip of my tongue amid the pleasant wash of spices, and that's as close as I can come to finding any complexity in it. Try as I might, I just can't get multiple taste stages out of this one. I don't care, though. Not one bit. It's cheery, beautifully balanced, and outlandishly drinkable. Gotta get me some more o' this.

4.55/5  rDev +43.1%

I really enjoy this beer. There is nothing that reminds me of christmas like this brew.

It should be pointed out that this beer is mediocre in a bottle. The highlights are the seasonal spices of cinnamon and nutmeg. This is noted both in smell and taste. It is dark red in color, more carbonated than many other winter beers but that helps to pump out the aroma. It normally has very little head when poured.

If you want a beer to drink by a wood stove when you are wearing flannel and down this is the beer.

4.53/5  rDev +42.5%

I'm a little surprised at the overall average of reviews. My wife and I had this for the first time on tap in NYC a few years back it we were blown away. It's litterally Christmas in a glass. We look forward to every Winter to get this. It's surprisingly dark, great spice, good mouth-feel. I have a sweet tooth and am partial to sweeter beers, so maybe that why I enjoy this more than some. I can usually handle up to 3 before needing something less sweet. Either way, a delicious beer I will enjoy each winter.

4.52/5  rDev +42.1%