Harpoon Winter Warmer - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

awful

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Winter Warmer |  5.90% ABV

When you bring a glass of this dark copper ale to your lips to take your first sip you will notice the aroma of cinnamon. There is no aromatic hop added that might overpower the distinct spice scent. The medium body of this beer is formed from caramel and pale malts. These create enough body to support the spices without making the beer excessively rich. Bittering hops are added to counter the sweetness of the malt and spice. The finish of the beer is a blend of cinnamon and nutmeg. The combination of these two spices results in a balanced, pumpkin-pie flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon Winter Warmer Alström Bros

1.02/5  rDev -67.9%

In the derby for bad beer from the most over-hyped East-cast brewer, until now I held that any brew from Sam Adams would by default take the trophy. Now I stand corrected: Boston Brewing must now share said trophy with Harpoon. This winter warmer ranks among the flattest, flavorless, most aromaless beer on today's market, and it's a fine addition to all of the other flavorless, aromaless beer that Harpoon brews. The only thing separating this beer from a glass of water is the price.

1.15/5  rDev -63.8%

Eye: Nice enough to the eyes this beer is reddish copper in appearance and is clear. It has nice head retention and size. Heh Heh, looks better than it smells.

Nose: Wow!.... This beer smells like Red Hots candy, or Big Red chewing gum, whichever you prefer...for me its neither especially in a beer.The last beer I had that was this over spiced was A-B's Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale. Damn it is strong too, almost room filling, this beer could give me a headache. Lay off the cinnamon, enough is enough.

Tongue: Really after smelling this, I am afraid what torture I am about to put my taste buds through. Some sweet malt at the beginning and end of this beer's flavor profile, then the over spiced spices take hold. This is a bad beer, I'm guessing no one at Harpoon has tasted this, if so, then who thought it would be a good idea to add this much shit to a beer. The label states winter warmer, sure some brewers like to spice to beer, but this is more like spices that have been beered. I mean I've eaten a spoonful of cinnamon before(a bet that I could swallow it within a minute $5 at stake...I won) but this is worse. I will never drink this beer again, I don't know what they were thinking out at Harpoon but this is more painful than an ass fucking.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: This beer is watery, it finishes with tons of spice, cinnamon chiefly, lingering in the mouth. This is not a drinkable beer, I recommend that all who value beer and your soul for that matter stay away from this beer. At this point I am glad that I received this beer for free(I'm not all that happy that I received it now that I've tasted it...I am dumber and my taste buds have regressed for having drunk this beer), I'd be wrought with pain if I actually paid for this crap.

1.2/5  rDev -62.3%

Bought this out of a selection of various seasonal brews. I trust the Harpoon name, and I wanted to see what they could do with a delicious Christmastime ale.

Well, crack it open, take a big whiff. Interesting, smells like a lot of cinnamon. A lot. But maybe the taste is a bit mellower. Nope. It's an artificial, unsweetened, almost plastic leather taste on the center of your tongue, with a post-swallow dry bitterness that comes from what seems like "stale" malt, rather than any hops. You can smell this beer (after pour) from a few feet away... it's sitting on my desk right now, glass nearly full, because I could only manage to take 3 drinks of the stuff. It's a very dank, old-basement sort of beer, reminds me of unwashed clothing and dust bunnies.

I think they overdid it with the flavors, big-time.

Yikes.

This beer looks good. A nice clean clear caramel colored beer with a nice head, good retention and a nice head. An overly spiced aroma. The beer is even more overly spiced, in a gross way. To much xmas spices, slightly chewy. Just not good. Bad mouth-feel. I cant drink this.

1.35/5  rDev -57.5%

Really? This a beer that never needed to happen. My girl bought this and I tried one, what a mistake. The color and the head are nothing special. The nose is of cinimon and nutmeg, not what I really want in my beer. The only way I can describe the flavor is by saying it is like shoving a peice of pumkin pie in a Harpoon IPA. Please, by all means, avoid this beer!

1.35/5  rDev -57.5%

This was a very disapointing beer. It was like drinking a christmas scented candle from my wifes candle collection.
I heard good thing from some people about this beer but I now question their judgement.
Harpoon IPA is a good choice, but I would stay away from the winter warmer if I were you.

1.45/5  rDev -54.4%

The cinnamon and nutmeg in this is way to overpowering. It smelled like oatmeal cookies and had a biscuity, bannana bread taste. This was so sickenly sweet it makes it hard to drink.
This was a big disapointment since I so far have loved all the beers I've tried by Harpoon.

1.48/5  rDev -53.5%

1.48/5  rDev -53.5%

A-Pours copper with a small head that faded fast and left no lacing.

S-All I can smell is spice. Nothing else comes through. My beer shouldn't smell like my wife's spice cabinet.

T-Taste is all spice as well. No malt or hops to speak of. Its just all spice, and it doesn't taste good.

M-Thin, watery and harshly carbonated.

D-I got about half the glass down before it was a drain pour.

I've enjoyed other beers from Harpoon, but this one is a one trick pony that is not impressive. The spice blend is awful and thats all there is to this beer. I won't drink this again.

1.5/5  rDev -52.8%

Gold colored beer with aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg.Taste was extreme cinnamon and very little else.This is the first beer in my 35 years that I couldn't finish and had to pour down the drain.I don't know what makes this brewery think that people want to drink something that tastes like cinnamon scope.Yuuuuck.

1.5/5  rDev -52.8%

With the holiday season upon us, sometimes the mood strikes us to make impulse decisions. Unfortunately for me, Harpoon Winter Warmer was one of these decisions.

In the pint glass the beer is a deep amber with no head. Upon first sniff I knew I was in way over my head. The bouquet is somewhere between your Uncle Al's eggnog and the gingerbread factory. The nutmeg scent is so overpowering that when I returned to my seat at the table a friend questioned, "What smells like Christmas?"

The nutmeg overpowers the beer and completely destroys any other tastes that might have been present. If there were hops in the beer they were negligible and added most likely as an afterthought.

Leave this one on the shelf this Christmas and go find out what Uncle Al spiked the eggnog with.

Harpoon Winter Warmer from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall