Harpoon IPA - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

to view more.
Ratings: 3,729 | Reviews: 1,223
4.59/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Easy drinking. Being from Boston it is fairly cheap here and a great regular drinking option. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy at times but the taste is a decently hoppy and with a nice bready, biscuity finish. Hints of caramel for me with floral overtones as well. Not too simple, not too complex. A great sessionable beer that keeps you interested while again, remains drinkable. I may be a bit biased, but I have to say I feel this beer is better than reviewers are saying. Harpoon never fails to satisfy me.

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

I'm not sure why Bostonians say this IPA is hoppy. At 42 IBU it qualifies as an IPA but only barely. Not much citrus or floral smell but enough. Aftertaste lingers but thirst quenching bitterness is lacking. Better than any British IPA I have tried, so kudos for improving the style.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

L: It pours brilliant gold under a 3” finely bubbled cream colored persistent foam collar that hugs the side of the glass.
S: This is five months past is best by date but the floral hop aromas are still detectasble from several feet away. Closer up are traces of citrus and pepper.
T: Clean, crisp and dry with light malt on the front end and assertive floral hops on the finish. A trace of light caramel to toffee along with light citrus on the tongue.
F: Medium body and carbonation.
O: A strikingly beautiful beer that is hoppy yet refreshing and easy to drink.

2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

25 cent single from ABC. very mild IPA....

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Hop weak, but perhaps that's the English style. Can taste the malt. Zero citrus.

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the first breweries to bring ale brewing back to New England. New England, particularly Boston, has always been known as home of ale cisumers, because of its large irish population.

A great IPA. Nice hop malt balance. Not so happy you can't taste the malt. Smooth and very drinkable. One of my favorite all time ales (Ballantine IPA was one and Sierra Nevada IPA another).

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

When in Boston, I was waiting for the bartender to change the keg on the Sam Adams. A guy offered to buy me a Harpoon so I wouldn't have to wait. I'm not gay, but hey, I'll drink a free beer. He ended up buying me 9 beers. It was so much better than the Sam I was planning on ordering...

Turns out he was the Harpoon Brewmaster. I haven't had a Sam Adams since!

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Terrible, although some blame definitely is owed to the unclean lines.

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

Lots of hop bitterness but not a ton of hop flavor.

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

My first favorite beer, some of my liking may be nostalgia; but even though I often drink highly rated and delicious IPAs, I still love Harpoon. The first t-shirt & short sleeves day in spring means my first six-pack of Harpoon, and it's a session beer of choice for the warmer months.

Ratings note: This is my baseline 'great' beer. I'm new to rating, and thought I'd start here, Harpoon IPA=4.

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

A very drinkable IPA. I do not love IPAs but I do like them and Harpoon is one of the best for a casual IPA drinker

4.14/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Hoppy, floral, wonderful IPA. Not a big IPA but easy to drink.

3.69/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

nice easy ipa, not that an ipa should necessarily be easy but this just hit the spot right (right now anyway)... nice mouth feel, even feel, slightly bitter (not a really stiff ipa).... almost ipa light (an a good way)... maybe the wife will like it... naw...

2.62/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Why too hoppy for me.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A nice, easy drinking IPA. Good.

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Good everyday IPA. Mild enough for people unused to IPAs, but flavorful enough to enjoy.

3.34/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a finger of head on a clear dark golden body.
The aroma is mild grain.
The taste is smooth blend of moderate bitterness and malt.
The texture is crisp.
A nice maltier IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Very different, a mellow IPA with floral hints.

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good beer I wouldn't drink back to back. But I would order time to time.

3.33/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this on tap at Harpoon Larry's in Newport News. Pours a fairly clear amber with a small whitish head that dissipates fairly quickly. A very faint aroma of hops and a fairly watery mouthfeel dominate the beverage. it does have a nice malty, floral taste to it. Overall, an acceptable IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

beer is very nice. smooth

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pleasant, deep amber color. Two-finger head of tight, white foam thins out after a few minutes, leaving some remnants on the glass. The beer's aroma is sweet--reminiscent of honeysuckles. I must describe the taste and feel as insipid, but only because of my high esteem for some of this brewer's other products. A good, drinkable beer, but not an eyebrow raiser.

4.49/5  rDev +24%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

good, reliable ale is my main go-to

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this out of the bottle. I remember it better, but that was draft at the brewery.

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely like this IPA. On the light side but is very drinkable and perfect out of a Kraft. Well done!!

to view more.