Harpoon IPA - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,750 | Reviews: 1,233

On tap @ '...'(I forgot the name) Locks Restaurant & the Bradley (Hartford) Airport into custom painted pint glass.

A - Pours golden, with a nice white head...- some lacing.

S - Hops and lots of sweet citrus -

T - Smooth & Bright! A good hop kick at the top, followed by some citrus, then ending with a bit of pine-like spices...Pleasant & refreshing!!

M - Great carbonation! There's a good fullness. Present, but not 'too' much fruity/sweet flavors...

D - This is a great east-coast stand-by!! I don't appreciate the last several 'B and C' grades some of the other members have given Harpoon IPA. The previous beer drinkers claim that this beer appears to be 'too-macro...' For cryin' out loud, this is one of the 1st post Bass IPAs that's been around forever (mid to early 90's) & paved the way for what everyone tastes now...was a fan in the back 'in the day' and remain one :~)

Best IPA ever! This beer has a beautiful deep coppery golden color. The aroma has a hoppy floral bouquet. Outstanding! The taste is wonderful. It tastes like toasty, hoppy, flowery, citrusy goodness. It has perfect balance of malt and hops. It has a terrific medium body which makes the drinkability easy and can been very habit-formering. I love Harpoon IPA.

This is another one of my go-to brews. It's sometimes hard to get but is often available in my area. It is a good session beer for me as the ABV is not too high and it goes well with most food. I haven't seen it outside of my area on recent vacations - I do check around to see what's available. So I guess I'm lucky that I can usually get this top-shelf selection.

This is the first time I tried the IPA, and it is one of the best I have tried. The taste is very smooth and goes very well with the smell. I think this might be my new favorite beer company.

From the label I would have not thought to try it, but I do know most IPA's are good. However this one has a perfect balance of taste, smell and feel. I will surely try it again.

While many new IPA's have certainly entered the realm of Imperial or double IPA, and surely are jam packed full of flavor, I wonder how many reviewers remember when Harpoon was the only company that made one. And in 94 it was certainly more hoppy than any beer I had ever tasted. It still holds up as a great tasting brew. That unique bubblegum flavor poons' yeast spits out really sits well with the cascade nose. Really clean and fresh when in Boston. Hard to find a better choice when in the city, rarely disappoints. It seems to me that many newbie IPA brewers are just masking nasty yeast aroma or low boils or lackluster fermentation, with huge amounts of hops, alcohol, or residual sugar. To pack the flavorful punch of Harpoon into 5.9% and 42 ibu's is a testament to the brewers passion for drinkable beer.

4.9/5  rDev +35.4%

This has to be one of my favorite ipa's.
You can smell the hops while you pour.
Golden Orange with a big thick head. Great lace.
At first a salty green rind flavour followed by a rush of citrus and sweet malt.

4.85/5  rDev +34%

Pours a beautiful bright golden yellow with a nice thick foamy head and quite a bit of carbonation.

Strong biscuity malt aroma nutty and earthy, with a fruity tea-like hoppiness.

Smooth and crisp on the palate, sweet with a biscuit malt flavor. Very nice spiced, tea-like hoppiness in the middle. Piny/Citrusy bitter finish clings to the palate.

Balanced, drinkable and very refreshing. A session beer with some a warming effect to it. One of my all-time favorites

Cheers!

4.84/5  rDev +33.7%

This is not a GREAT beer, by which I mean it's terribly accessible. It is what it is--a robust, full, fruity hopped-up beer. As much as I like dirty double stouts and bitter imperial IPAs, the Harpoon IPA is a winner. Maybe "delicious" is a careful appropriate word here. Unfortunately, every place I've seen that carries it carries better beer. Oh well, it's worth it now and agian, and is a great gift for the novice who likes IPA but doesn't know the difference between Pale Ale and IPA. A gift, that is, were I get to keep/have some.

4.82/5  rDev +33.1%

If you are an IPA fan this is a no-doubt, failproof, reliable, never disappointing beer of choice. It is found on tap at most Boston area establishments.

A: vibrant glowing brown color.

S: earthy, clean, euphoric

T: hoppy, sharp, crisp, clean

M: medium body/carbonation, refreshing

D: Great with dinner but distinct enough that it stands out on it's own.If drinkability means you can have 6 and can still say "This is a good f'n beer!" then Harpoon IPA is "King of Drinkability"

Absolutely delicious! Plus 5.9% and $7/6-pack.

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

My favorite IPA - this is what I compare all of my other IPA tastings to. Perfect hop aroma with crisp tangy citrus flavor. Yummy!

4.71/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Real good. Probably my favorite APA so far. At least best balanced in my opinion; hops to malt.

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another of the beers on my sampler tray. Although I had tried this before out of the bottle it had never been better then on-tap at the source. This style was my crossover beer. I've never looked back.
This IPA was an amber color, slightly cloudy, plenty of carbonation. The spicy hops aroma went pleasantly with the yeast and citrus undertones. As with Harpoons other light beer (UFO) this ale has very good mouthfeel. A clean drinking beer which went extremely well with my rare roastbeef sandwich (the New Englander).

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK, so I'm a little bit biased with this review. I've been drinking Harpoon IPA for years and can't believe I never reviewed it until now. It's my favorite IPA, session beer and go to beer at most bars.

The beer pours a clear straw yellow with some orange hues mixed in. A frothy white head forms on top slowly dissolving to a thick ring around the surface leaving behind a nice netting pattern of lace. A citrus aroma of grapefruit and pine with a hint of toasted malt greets you before each sip.

The flavor of this medium bodied smooth beer is filled with hoppy goodness. It begins with some pine and citrus. It sweetens towards the middle with some malt and bubblegum flavors before finishing with a mild bitterness leaving behind a hoppy residue. The hops are not too bitter and are well balanced with the malt. This would be a good beer to introduce someone to the wonderful world of hop bitterness.

Harpoon IPA is the light in the darkness when at a new bar with a (mostly) poor beer selection. It can always be found in my fridge or cooler on a camping trip. It's so easy to drink and full of flavor I can't see why anyone would want another session beer.

4.66/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Favorite go to IPA. Widely stocked in New England.

4.62/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really drinkable, tasty, on the lighter side IPA

4.62/5  rDev +27.6%

This beer is always a pleasure to have. It has a very nice golden amber color with a thick white head that sticks to the glass. The smell is really nice. Very fresh, very hoppy and fruity and flowery that overpower the malt tones. The taste is phenomenal. One of the best IPAs, if not the best, I have ever had. It tastes fruity and hoppy and very light malt taste in the background. The good thing about this IPA is that this does not have a very acidy taste, very clean. It's aftertaste is clean and not too bitter which I really like. Very good mouthfeel and very good all around. This is excellent and I recommend it for anyone who wants a refreshing IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: nicely carbonated, very clear copper color looks very nice

S: Hoppy but not over hopped

T: mild taste, a little bread / hop hint.

M: tasted good, crisp clean well rounded malty and hoppyness

D: very tasty will be good for hot summer work, very refreshing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the local hopmeister. A deep rich amber color with a medium body and lasting thick head give this beer a good look, nice heavy hop aroma and powerful, yet mellow hop flavor profile. Nice balance of malts with this one create an easy drinking libation.

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the first breweries to bring ale brewing back to New England. New England, particularly Boston, has always been known as home of ale cisumers, because of its large irish population.

A great IPA. Nice hop malt balance. Not so happy you can't taste the malt. Smooth and very drinkable. One of my favorite all time ales (Ballantine IPA was one and Sierra Nevada IPA another).

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

This is my favorite beer. I could drink it everyday, if it weren't for becoming an alcoholic. I love local beer, and this is the best in the Boston area. Deep malty color, medium body, great hoppy taste this is my IPA standard and furthermore standard beer. Long live Harpoon IPA!

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Easy drinking. Being from Boston it is fairly cheap here and a great regular drinking option. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy at times but the taste is a decently hoppy and with a nice bready, biscuity finish. Hints of caramel for me with floral overtones as well. Not too simple, not too complex. A great sessionable beer that keeps you interested while again, remains drinkable. I may be a bit biased, but I have to say I feel this beer is better than reviewers are saying. Harpoon never fails to satisfy me.

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Copper color along with floral hops and an amazing balance of hops and grains with the full body make this a very good ipa.

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%

This is my go to beer. "What do you have on Tap?", "I will have an IPA".

In MA if you ask for an IPA you get a harpoon.

It pours a yellow/golden color with some amount of carbonation. Nice tight knit buble structure on top that is nice and sticky icky.

Smell is straight hops. Floral and citrus.

Taste is Citrus grapefruit rind that disapates to a more floral touch..

I love this brew. I drink it all the time. It is always in my fridge. If you want to see what HArpoon is about, check this one out. It is in everybar in Boston. Look for the Yellow harpoon tap and drink away.

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

Surprisingly light for an IPA. i like the drinkability of this beer. The nice crisp flavor and floral tones make this a very good beer on a hot summer night. A very impressive India Pale Ale. Doesnt have the high alcohol content and isnt AS hoppy as most IPA's but i enjoy this beer very much

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

One of the better East Coast IPAs!!! Definitely very session able and easy to drink for hours. After drinking many IPAs, one of my favorites. Definantley very east coast in flavor and aroma, hoppy but does not have that citric flavor associated with PNW IPAs. A must try for any East Coast IPA fan and a important stop on the beer trail for anybody in New England!!!!

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall