Harpoon IPA - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

good

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon IPA Alström Bros

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.44/5  rDev -60.2%

1.44/5  rDev -60.2%

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy orange with about 2a fingers of head that retains pretty well, lots of citric hops on the nose. Some critic and biscuits sweetness up front but it finishes with a citric bouquet of hops that rounds it out nicely. Decent carbonation and light to medium in body. Decent ipa but nothing really stands out about. Could make a good session ipa if the hop bitterness didn't build so quickly and in a bad way.

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%

I have had this beer on-tap or in bottles a number of times, and consider it a middling offering... I was interested to see what the can was all about. The results were, honestly, disgusting; this was the quickest drainpour I've ever seen. The drainpour was sudden, like projectile vomiting (which, incidentally, is what this beer reminded me of, and nearly induced...)

A - It looks like a normal IPA or Pale Ale, and is golden with a big white head.

S - Uh-oh. This smells terrible, like rotten corn, cardboard and sweatsocks.

T - The taste is the definition of 'gross'. I cannot remember a more disgusting beer. I don't know what went wrong with this can, but it is utterly foul. The tap and bottle versions I've had have never been even close to this bad.

M - Not the feels' fault, but having beer this bad soil your palate feels very very bad.

O - Congrats Harpoon IPA: if you can't be the best, why not be the worst.

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%

I had this beer for the first time and when i tasted it i had to check the label to make sure i had the beer i wanted. nothing about this beer tastes like an IPA in fact it tastes like a lager. i don't know if they got their labels mixed up or if the IPA is just horrible but something isn't right.

1.6/5  rDev -55.8%

1.65/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap at Barley's Smokehouse on 11/27/10

Clear, grainy yellow. Thin retention with a little drippy lace.

Smells like soap, lysol & watered down jolly ranchers. Tastes like bubblegum & bread. Agitation that comes with tasting air cleansers as they rain down. Medium-light body. Low carbonation. Soapy finish.

Where is the IPA?

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

1.83/5  rDev -49.4%

This is the beer that made me realize that I don't enjoy IPA's.

I gave this a try while attempting to complete the 100 Beer Tour at the local college bar. This is the first one that I really didn't like.

The bottle looked nice, and it smelled just a little hoppy. Then I took my first sip and BANG--hops hops and more hops. To the point that it tasted like chlorophyl. I don't mind ESB's so I don't think it was the bitterness that got me. It was just pungent. I had to pass it around to get it finished.

1.83/5  rDev -49.4%

1.93/5  rDev -46.7%

Trying as hard as I could, I could find very little in this beer that I approved of.

It poured a clear and very light copper, with a moderate medium density head that left heavy lacing.

The smell was best described as harsh and unforgiving. The characteristic hoppiness of an IPA was present, but in a very one sided and unforgiving way. No malt that I could detect, just harsh hops.

Taste was bad, just plain bad. Harshly bitter (which one would expect in an IPA), but also a little sour. It also had a foul long-lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was about average. Not too dry or too sweet.

I definately will not be buying this again.

1.95/5  rDev -46.1%

I'm so sorry, but I don't see what everyone else does in this beer. To me, this beer is absurdly over-hopped, so much so that at all temperatures it smells like rotting vegetation and tastes like a pale ale with with alpha acids added from an eyedropper. The malt flavor is too aggressive and tastes over-toasted. I love IPAs with malt flavor, but only if it works to balance the hop flavor. In this case, both flavors are too aggressive. Come on, Harpoon. Your Dark Munich Ale is so good! Everything else you make is so good! Maybe (with more care) this beer as a double IPA would work well? Although this doesn't bear that much resemblance to their Leviathan. Still, in all departments I find it profoundly below average, except maybe appearance and mouthfeel, which are standard (gold with a tinge of brown and not too oily, respectively). This is just one of those beers I can't get into.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall