Harpoon IPA - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

good

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon IPA Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

I got a bottle of Harpoon's IPA that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I haven't had good luck with this brewery, I thought their Winter warmer was pretty bad, so I hope this beer turns out much better, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got a good floral background and the font is nice. It poured a pretty clear slightly amber color that took on a nice darker gold color with two and a half finger worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a little lacing. This was a good looking American IPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma is pretty fragrant. The aroma started off with a little bit of that malt base that imparts some lighter grainy and bready aromas. After that comes of very strong marijuana aroma, it smells very similar to some top shelf buds, it imparts some nice floral, citrus, earthy, and dank hop aromas. After that comes a slightly sweet and lightly skunky aroma that only further makes the aroma smell like some good bud. I really liked the aroma of this beer, it was nice, unique, and ir had the most weed like aroma that I have ever encountered in a beer.

T- The flavor has some aspects from the aroma but all together they seem much lighter. It starts off with some pale malts that have a slightly higher then normal amount of sweetness that impart a grainy. bready, and slightly biscuity aroma. After that comes the hops which seem to have faded a little and impart some grapefruit like flavors along some piney and grassy flavors that were a little lighter then I would like. After that I get a slight skunky flavor with a lower amount of bitterness for an IPA, and it had a bready and earthy hop like flavor. The flavor was nice but I wish the hops were a little more flavorful, but they did taste a little faded so this might be an older bottle.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good, but I thought it could be slightly thicker.

Overall I thought that was an Ok beer and a slightly above average example of an American IPA, if the flavor was as nice as the aroma was then this beer would be able to hold it's own against some of the better American IPA's. This beer had good drinkability. it went down smooth, wasn't filling, and it wasn't too bitter, I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and fragrant, there were a lot of things going on and it turned out to smell pretty weed like which wasn't a bad thing with this beer and was actually one of the highlights. What I like least about this beer was the lack of hops in the flavor, more hop flavors and more bitterness would be much more appealing, but it feels like this was much hopier at one point and it tasted like the hops have faded so this beer might be old, but with no bottling date I can't be sure. I would buy this beer again if I can find a fresh bottle, I think Harpoon is available in Michigan, but I have only seen it once and it was their Winter Warmer and I haven't seen anything else from Harpoon since. I recommend giving this beer a shot if you are an American IPA fan. This beer was much better then their Winter Warmer, and I'm sure if it was fresh it would be even better, but as it stands out now it's pretty close to being an average American IPA, if it wasn't for the aroma, it would be below average. This wasn't a really impressive IPA, but it wasn't bad by any means, I would like to try it again and I would like to try more from this brewery to get a better feel for them, because as it stands now I am not that interested in them.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Rated from a 12 oz bottle with an expiration date on the side, poured into a pint glass. As a note, I am a big Harpoon fan, but I have never really fallen for the whole IPA craze, so my slight aversion to the style might be coming through.

A: Pours fairly light with a nice golden color. Limited white head that dissipated quickly.

S: Hoppy aroma with a citrus nose. Pleasant.

T/M: There is a sweetness and citrus bite on the front end and the characteristic IPA bitterness on the backside. Reminds a little of grapefruit. Finishes dry and clean with a residual bitterness. Beer feels a little thin.

O: Overall, I might order another pint at the bar, but only if it was one of the few craftbrews on tap. However, as an IPA, I was plesantly happy - I didn't walk away with a crippled pallet from the bitterness that I have with other IPAs and IIPAs.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall