Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Harpoon IPA - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

good

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,198 | Hads: 3,803
1.94/5  rDev -46.7%

I'm so sorry, but I don't see what everyone else does in this beer. To me, this beer is absurdly over-hopped, so much so that at all temperatures it smells like rotting vegetation and tastes like a pale ale with with alpha acids added from an eyedropper. The malt flavor is too aggressive and tastes over-toasted. I love IPAs with malt flavor, but only if it works to balance the hop flavor. In this case, both flavors are too aggressive. Come on, Harpoon. Your Dark Munich Ale is so good! Everything else you make is so good! Maybe (with more care) this beer as a double IPA would work well? Although this doesn't bear that much resemblance to their Leviathan. Still, in all departments I find it profoundly below average, except maybe appearance and mouthfeel, which are standard (gold with a tinge of brown and not too oily, respectively). This is just one of those beers I can't get into. (892 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing this one as I drink it...

A-Pours a clear golden color with 1" bubbly head that fades to 1/4 inch. Leaves some lacing.

S-Citrus hops and not a whole lot else, a little bit eartly somewhere in the middle. Also a little bit of alcohol at the end.

T-Pretty mild when it comes to hops. Full of citrus/grapefruit, but not overly hoppy. Somewhat sweet aftertaste.

M-On second thought, more hops than I initially thought. Fair amount of carbonation.

D-Decent body. Wouldn't drink more than two of these probably. Overall a nice IPA, but in a country full of them I'd gravitate elsewhere. (595 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17%

From a 12 oz bottle into a chilled pint glass at the Marriott in Quincy, MA.

A--Straw color with a slightly orange hue. Ivory head.

S--Surprising dose of hops in the nose. Being West Coast based, I have heard many people bash Harpoon IPA for a general lack of character, but the aroma definitely started things off well.

T--Great bittering hop profile that you don't see enough of on the west coast. Just enough hops, not a palate wrecker.

M--This is a sessionable IPA, with enough malt to balance the bitternes, but not so much that it gets big and heavy.

O--Having not had Harpoon IPA in several years, my expectations were low, but I definitely prefer it over Dogfish 60.

T-- (684 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Short of Dogfish 60, this is one of the better mass market IPAs you'll find. It's clean drinking, medium body and has a bit more octane than some of the other beers in this class at almost 6%. The taste is basic but pleasant, mild to moderate hop present up front balanced by a hint of bitterness after.

Overall it's a good, solid IPA, particularly now that it's available in cans.

It loses points for drinkability, however, because it has a deserved reputation for being much harder on you the next morning than comparable offerings. Whether it's the presence of the sugars or some other factor, I know more than a few people who steer clear for fear of the aftermath.

For a beer or two, it won't kill you. (713 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -8%

A: Light golden color, with nice white head and good decent amount of lacing.

S: Floral hops and a hint of malt. Unassertive and light.

T: Some hops coupled with barly and malt. Good choice on hot summer days, but nevertheless, unassertive and not that memorable.

M: Almost too little action there. Mild carbonation and light-bodied.

O: For an IPA this one is suprisingly light-bodied and not very memorable. Goes down easy, but then again so do the less expensive budlights of this world. (493 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This IPA pours a medium amber with a medium head and decent head retention. The aroma is not as hoppy as I would expect from an American IPA. I really struggled to descibed the smell of this beer. I keep going back to the smell of sourdough bread. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. Flavor is nice, but still light on that hop bitterness. This beer is pleasant and easy to drink but not the best IPA I've ever had. (436 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%

A - The color is golden yellow. Very clear, nice appearance.

S - The smell is slightly bitter. Not florally like some IPA's. Somewhat faint.

T - The taste is crisp and good. Not too bitter, just right for a good refreshing IPA.

M - The mouthfeel is good.

D - The drinkability is good. It's not too heavy, but you can't sit down and have a 6 pack without feeling bloated... Has a refreshing taste, a really good beer. Not the best IPA I've ever had, but it's very good. This is one of my staples. (499 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

COLOR: light to dark brown, great color

CONSISTENCY: Very bubbly, good constant color with copper color

HEAD: Good to medium head

SMELL: fresh/Fruity smell. Has some wild yeast smell too.

TASTE: fruity and floral at first but then loses some hoppiness. Still pretty crispy for an IPA.

Not the best IPA but has a good yeasty taste that many IPAs do not have. (362 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Had 1 on tap.

Somewhere between an American IPA and an English IPA, leaning toward the American side but still more balanced than the usual hop bombs.

1/1 (156 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%

Drank from a Sam Adams lager glass; poured from a bottle.

a - pours clear and golden with a touch of copper

s - a hint of malt, spicy notes

t - it starts out with hop spice that is clean and balanced out by malt; finish and aftertaste? like a fart in the fog...was it every really there?

m - clean-crisp finish; again, there's no real aftertaste and its leaving me wanting another beer

d - its OK - nice, all-around solid and non-offensive ale (448 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +1.4%

From a sixer poured into a stein.

A--A clear copper color with a thin foamy white head. Dies out quickly leaving patchy traces of lacing.

S--Dull citrusy sent at the start with some medicinal resiny hop notes.

T--Citrus notes to start with faint orange and lemon peel. A peppery bite rounds out to grassy notes at the finish.

M--Medium bodied with nice pucker and balanced by the carbonation.

D--Overall a solid citrusy, grassy IPA. A tasty brew without a ton of complexity. (479 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19%

I'm not sure why Bostonians say this IPA is hoppy. At 42 IBU it qualifies as an IPA but only barely. Not much citrus or floral smell but enough. Aftertaste lingers but thirst quenching bitterness is lacking. Better than any British IPA I have tried, so kudos for improving the style. (283 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

A ~ A dark golden color with noticeable carbonation and about a half finger head, has a pretty decent lacing. 3.5/5

S ~ Nothing overpowering in the smell of this, sweet fruit maybe oranges, a barely noticeable hop presence in the smell. It might be that I'm a little congested right now but there isn't a whole lot going on in the smell. 3/5

T ~ Well you can definitely taste the hops if you couldn't smell them, nothing over powering but definitely a presence... about average for an IPA in regards to bitterness and taste coming from the hops. Definitely a little bit of caramel in there, pretty good balance. 4/5

M ~ The beer is definitely carbonated, but not in a bad way. Solid feel to it, its goes down easy, an easy beer to drink multiple of. 4.5/5

O ~ This is my go to beer, it isn't an overpowering IPA, with flavor or ABV. It is a good IPA that is available almost anywhere in MA, and on tap at almost every bar. If i feel like having an IPA I can always grab this, it is also generally cheap at bars around Boston if you are on a budget. B- (1,055 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally decided to try something of Harpoon's even after having seen the red H bottlecaps in certain secluded areas around town.

Appearance: Two to three finger white, bubbly head. The ale itself is transparent, and a summery dark gold. The head recedes to a foamy layer that sticks itself to the side of the glass, all the way down.

Smell: Smells of a more balanced American IPA. Hopefully it'll taste the same way. However, it's difficult to pick up much of anything, apart from the stronger American IPA scents - grapefruit, resins, pine, astringency.

Taste: Definitely not as bitter an interpretation of the style that's so popular, but instead pretty well balanced. Bitterness comes through first, accompanied by a slightly unsettling 'soapy' flavor, that resolves itself as very mild malt sweetness. The sweetness carries through to the bready aftertaste. I'm sure many others will malign the taste for not being bitter enough, or having enough hop character, but I happen to find its lack of complexity very mellowing.

Feel: The once bubbly head resolves to a layer of foam that smooths out the feel, and makes it feel silky. Carbonation is just enough to feel refreshing.

Overall: I was always aware of Harpoon from a young age, and after reading reviews about this beer, I wasn't expecting much. What I got however, was a very nice middle of the road IPA that makes a perfect go-to beer. (1,403 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

My first favorite beer, some of my liking may be nostalgia; but even though I often drink highly rated and delicious IPAs, I still love Harpoon. The first t-shirt & short sleeves day in spring means my first six-pack of Harpoon, and it's a session beer of choice for the warmer months.

Ratings note: This is my baseline 'great' beer. I'm new to rating, and thought I'd start here, Harpoon IPA=4. (396 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

Harpoon IPA is the beer I most drink when I head out to the bars. It's a nice, tasty, simple American IPA that I can drink while enjoying good coversation with friends.

Living in Central, Mass., this is usually one of the best beers available wherever I go.

By no means is it the best American IPA I have ever had, but there's also nothing wrong with it, and fits the bill when you want a good beer to drink while out, or sitting at home watching some sports. (465 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

Pale amber color. This beer is very crisp. Too crisp for an IPA in my opinion. I didn't appreciate the wateriness. The aftertaste was also not as pleasant as I had hoped. It's very dry and leaves a bitter bite on the back of the tongue.The package store I work at sells a lot of this, so I thought it would be better. The hops are there (piney), but I prefer a better malt backbone. I'll wait till I see this on draft to try it again. (434 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Enjoyed this beer on tap at the Bell In Hand Pub in historic Boston

Poured nicely in a large Hefe style glass with very little head retention...Great autumn auburn color with the aroma of extremely mild hoppiness and chestnut

More similar to an English IPA than its American counterpart...Very smooth, well balanced flavor with decent amount of nutty maltiness that is cut short from the mild hop back...Would view this beer as a good example of a session beer...Not my favorite beer by any means (498 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

I tried a pint on tap at a local steakhouse,and was pleasantly surprised.I really like this in bottles, and to be honest it's one of my fridge staples, since it's local and fresh, so I expected the same beer on tap. wrong.
It was even better. The smell was like floral perfume, and the taste of the hops not much different. enough malt to balance it out and a crisp finish with a nice bitterness on the back of your tongue. I could drown myself in this on a Saturday night. (474 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Clear golden amber with 1/2 inch head that faded quickly. Lacing left webbing on the side glass.

S-The smell was floral and hoppy but less pronounced than other beers of the style.

T-Malty up front and finishes with a hop bite. However, the bitterness of the hops is less intense than other beers of the style.

M-Mouthfeel is less than full-bodied and slightly watery.

D-Very drinkable beer. It's not exaclty what I expected from an IPA but it definetely has decent flavor. This would be a solid session beer. (555 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Golden Amber with good head and great laceing

S - Predominant malt aroma, a rather small hop nose for an IPA.

T - Great balance between hops and malt. Pleasant, lingering bitterness on palate.

M - Crisp and pleasant, moderate carbonation light body for style.

D - Will always be a staple in my fridge! (310 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - straw golden yellow, fine head which dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma - floral and citrus layered over a pleasant honey sweet maltiness.

Taste - grassy and citrusy to start followed by a light malty sweetness and a nice hop finish with just an edge of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - smooth and round with a sweet soft finish.

Overall - very nice IPA with a great balance of malt and hops neither of which is over stated. Very drinkable. (447 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25%

Surprisingly light for an IPA. i like the drinkability of this beer. The nice crisp flavor and floral tones make this a very good beer on a hot summer night. A very impressive India Pale Ale. Doesnt have the high alcohol content and isnt AS hoppy as most IPA's but i enjoy this beer very much (292 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%

Everyone gets a good on appearance since I cant see colors.

Beer drank smooth. A really light mouthfeel with a tingle of hops.

The smell was hops and very little else. It is an IPA, but I wouldn't mind smelling some beer.

No terrible aftertastes, but it was essentially hop water. Lacked any sort of balance with carbonation or malt.

I don't recommend. (356 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

This is a nice beer. I recently picked up a six pack, and I was impressed by how easy this beer drinks for an IPA. It is not the finest IPA I've tried, but Harpoon's offering is a really good beer. Also, I'm not sure if I'd seek it out again, but I would definitely down a few if they were offered to me! Decent hoppiness/bite with fairly balanced malt sweetness. I liked it. Worth checking out! (395 characters)

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall