Harpoon IPA - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

I got this 12 ounze bottle from a Harpoon Mix case, and poured into a pint glass. It had a beautiful amber/goldish color with 2 and a half fingers of head. There was good retention, not to long not to short. There was a lot of lace immediatly, but it wasn't very sticky so it dissapeared over time. The smell was that of a typical IPA, hoppy and spicy. The mouthfeel was not smooth, but not rigid either. All in all a solid brew. Don't drink and review.

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

I picked up this beer when I visited the US and was amazed at how much craft beers were brewed and sold in the US. This was my first pick, because this is a beer that is one of the benchmark IPAs, I think.

Appearance is orange, with a thin head and glass sticking foam. A steady stream of carbonation is visible.

Smell is citric and hoppy, defenitely fresh with a good malty backbone and a slight sweetness.

Taste is bitter with citric notes, hop aromatic and malty, a nice balance. The beer is slightly sticky and sizzling of the carbonation. Overall a very clean beer without any signs of yeast fruitness or anything. I expected the bitterness to be higher and the beer less drinkable, but I think bitterness grows on you.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

had this on tap in Boston last week. thougth I'd finally type in my notes.

A - Nice, golden-yellow color to it with average carbonation some haze probably attributable to iced glasses. Ding to the waiter for not offering a choice. minimal light head.

S - Nice floral, hoppy smell with hints of citrus and barely there grapefruit.

T- Hint of bitterness that is evened out by a light malty sweetness with a touch of citrus

M - Nice light brew for dining out.

D - Easy to drink and refreshing.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Thin white head. CLEAR golden body. Looks kind of watery.
S- Big floral hops a bit of a malt background. Maybe a bit grapefruit too but thats pretty much it.
T- Big floral taste IPA. Has a grapefruit flavor in it also just following the smell. A bit of a malt back bone too also like the smell.
M- Medium body with medium carbonation.
D- It's a good average IPA (with floral hops instead of citrus). Its a nice easy beer to drink. Would be a good session beer.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

This is my favorite end-all beer. I can find it almost anywhere, and it saves me from Bud. I love the floral aroma it gives off and the slight bite with the initial sip. It's a smooth finish and the residual taste is very similar to the initial smell...which I like...this beer never deceives me.

2.6/5  rDev -28.2%

Pale amber color. This beer is very crisp. Too crisp for an IPA in my opinion. I didn't appreciate the wateriness. The aftertaste was also not as pleasant as I had hoped. It's very dry and leaves a bitter bite on the back of the tongue.The package store I work at sells a lot of this, so I thought it would be better. The hops are there (piney), but I prefer a better malt backbone. I'll wait till I see this on draft to try it again.

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another of the beers on my sampler tray. Although I had tried this before out of the bottle it had never been better then on-tap at the source. This style was my crossover beer. I've never looked back.
This IPA was an amber color, slightly cloudy, plenty of carbonation. The spicy hops aroma went pleasantly with the yeast and citrus undertones. As with Harpoons other light beer (UFO) this ale has very good mouthfeel. A clean drinking beer which went extremely well with my rare roastbeef sandwich (the New Englander).

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

A great American IPA. Has a great citrusy nose and taste (Cascade?). Malt flavor is slight, with a hint of biscuit. The bitterness seems about medium for an IPA. Very, very drinkable. Definitely an IPA for the masses. This is the IPA that I tend to compare other new American style IPAs to when I drink them, although I like a bit more color, malt character, and body for my ideal IPA. Cheers to Harpoon for putting out a great product year after year.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A nice, solid, and affordable IPA. I picked at a 12 pack at Wegmans for $13. Its a touch light in color and head, but has great lacing. Smells of citrus and grapefuit. Tastes of biscuit malts and citrus hops. A nice kick of bitterness, but nothing you cant handle. Easy to drink and tasty.

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours 14k gold with good clarity. Creamy white head of one and a half fingers shows good retention and decent spotty lacing. Slight apple ester in the nose with some mild chinook and cascade aromas. Flash of sweet toasted malt upfront, followed by a blast of grassy american hop flavor and mild grapefruit rind taste, which then dissipates to a solid bitterness. A pinch of high-Alpha acid hop flavor in the aftertaste, but mostly just a bland, dry bitterness. Medium-high carbonation and light-medium body- this seems too crisp and light for the style with an unbalanced bitterness and lack of hop flavor and aroma. Finishes bitter but clean. While this very drinkable and devoid of any significant flaw, it's also kind of boring.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from the bottle...nice golden apricot color with a flat, medium head of foam. Looks light in the carbonation department as well.
Smells grainy like cereal- lots of malt and yeast scents.
Tastes citrusy- the hops lightly run across the palate. Very little bitterness to speak of. Some caramel flavors linger as well.
I think I could drink a couple..but I only had one to work with.
Decent, medium bodied IPA...I'd like to try it on tap sometime.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a pub glass.white creamy head,a very light coppery color towards golden.Light colored for an IPA.Very clear,a few bubbles rise to the top.Nice lacing on the the sides of the glass.
An earthy ,woody ,herbal,spicey,aroma.A slight burnt smell.A nice complex aroma.A light mouthfeel for an IPA,a clean spicey,woody,light caramely taste.A dry, citrusy,refreshing aftertaste.More like a pale ale than an IPA.This would be a good beginner IPA. A very tasty and very drinkable brew.
Not quite up to par with other IPA's I like,but neverless a very good beer overall. One of the best beers I've had from Harpoon.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%

Harpoon IPA is the beer I most drink when I head out to the bars. It's a nice, tasty, simple American IPA that I can drink while enjoying good coversation with friends.

Living in Central, Mass., this is usually one of the best beers available wherever I go.

By no means is it the best American IPA I have ever had, but there's also nothing wrong with it, and fits the bill when you want a good beer to drink while out, or sitting at home watching some sports.

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

A - this IPA pours a nice transparent amber color with a great frothy white head, with plenty of swift carbonation

S - Harpoon's IPA has a great, but mild hop profile, with nice candy-like sweet smelling undertones

T - this is one of the better IPA that isnt a limited or small release, not a monster hop profile, but not subtle either, its present and quality, i tend to enjoy my IPA's a bit more bitter, but this is still damn good, this also has some sweet undertones like in its aroma, quite a nice balance

M&D - that balance and the smoothness make this a great IPA, and one of the best IPA's to session

3.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 42 degrees.

Pours a dark straw color with a 1-inch head. Smelled hoppy and grassy...more herbal/flowery than anything. Hops take over in the first sip, but it goes down very smoothly and a citrus/floral aftertaste comes right back up. A very nice balance - good for the hop-heads, but not so bitter that it goes over the top.

3.34/5  rDev -7.7%

Details- 12 oz. bottle. Purchased at the Windsor, VT brewery. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Golden yellow-orange with a leaning towards yellow. Very big foamy, cloud-like head. Impressive, but lacing is minimal.

Smell- Flowery essence with hints of grape nuts.

Taste- Decent, but not impressive... just average. The flavor profile favors hops, yet not nearly enough... especially if this is supposed to be an American IPA. A bit of herbal/medicinal flavors come through. A bit of citrusy notes too.

Mouthfeel- A very traditional ale mouthfeel if that makes sense. Could use a bit more pizazz.

Drinkability and other notes- It certainly goes down smooth and easily, but overall this is a very average beer. It tastes like a "macro IPA" that would appeal to the masses, but that's good for quaffability.

3.37/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours gold with a copper tint from a 12oz bottle with no freshness date. The white head is frothy, slightly creamy, with pretty solid retention and lacing--some nice cloudy puffs remain on the surface before the first sip.

The smell is of floral hops, yeast, and a hint of spice. The flavor consists of mildly bitter hops, light lemon zest, and a burst of fruit. The mouth is very light and not all that complex.

The drinkability is high, but I would prefer more flavor and complexity. I certaintly wouldn't dump it out, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I have had it on-top before and rember liking it better in that format.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured golden with a 1" white head. Some lacing & minmal head retention

S: Floral hops

T: Floral hops combines with fruittyness up front. Slight cirtus/lemon hops. Finishes fruitty dry & zesty

MF: Medium bodied with good carbonation & balance

Drank too easy, a good ipa with a bit of English influnce IMO

1.93/5  rDev -46.7%

This is the beer that made me realize that I don't enjoy IPA's.

I gave this a try while attempting to complete the 100 Beer Tour at the local college bar. This is the first one that I really didn't like.

The bottle looked nice, and it smelled just a little hoppy. Then I took my first sip and BANG--hops hops and more hops. To the point that it tasted like chlorophyl. I don't mind ESB's so I don't think it was the bitterness that got me. It was just pungent. I had to pass it around to get it finished.

3.8/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

I cannot believe I've never reviewed this beer before. QUITE honestly, it is probably my "most consumed" beer. Not overly charismatic in any of its forms, but it is one consumable beer.

A. Average. Depending on how it’s served, variances its appearance.

S. Slightly hoppy, kind of commercial.

TM. Average. At best.

D. Off the charts. Widely available in Massachusetts, and New England.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

I had reviewed this on tap earlier. Not much difference with the bottle. Still a solid, but not spectacular American IPA. After six more months of reviewing since the last Harpoon review, I had to downgrade the appearance for a less than spectacular head. I thought the taste was better than I remembered from before, because the flavor comes out better without the frosted beer mug from the bar. I had this one with spicy Chinese food and the flavor stood up very well. Still wouldn't be my first IPA choice, but I would jump on it is a restaurant if faced with the usual boring choices.

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

12oz bottle -> pint glass
'bot on: 4.18.06' is printed on the bottle about an inch above the label

Pours a golden yellow with a bubbley inch head, which leaves this earth fast. Little to no lace. Light carbonation present. Nothing to right home about.

Slight floral aroma. Not much of a nose.

Taste: Boy this must be spoiled or something. Metallic taste, rice and yeast, no malt, no hops. Metallic bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

This beer was a disappointment. Wondering if 4 months is just too old for this brew. I bought 3 of these, and i think the other 2 or going to my mooch neighbor who swills the Millwaters best.

I'd say stay away if the bottled on date is more than a couple months.

tasted at the classic wines annual beer tasting earlier this year, i am reviewing this from my notes.
was served a straw colored sample with a slight white head.
the aroma was malty with a good whif of hopsack
the flavor was malty, citrus, spicy, ending with a mineralness and spiciness.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

This IPA is one that should have been classified as a pale ale. Light amber honey hue as you pour. The head stands up well, then just sorta fizzez out. But the taste and the aroma are the lightest part of this beer. This has to be the lightest hopped IPA I have ever tasted. Has a light honey and flower finish to the taste, and is a easy drinking beer. I am a hop head so I was kinda disappointed in this one. But if your looking for a good light IPA to get someone into the style, this is the one for them.

Wavz

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours light for an APA, very filtered but with a nice, rocky white head that sticks around.

Smells of single, uncomplicated hop and a light, crisp malt. Very nicely balanced. This would make a good, refreshing APA smell, but for an IPA it's a little lacking.

Tastes starts with a strong, very fruity hop. Apricot hops, very sweet and very dry and bitter. Nice. Mix that with a fruity, crisp malt and you got yourself one tasty, well-balanced IPA.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall