Join our email list →

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States | website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) | 5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,215 | Hads: 3,896
4.59/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Easy drinking. Being from Boston it is fairly cheap here and a great regular drinking option. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy at times but the taste is a decently hoppy and with a nice bready, biscuity finish. Hints of caramel for me with floral overtones as well. Not too simple, not too complex. A great sessionable beer that keeps you interested while again, remains drinkable. I may be a bit biased, but I have to say I feel this beer is better than reviewers are saying. Harpoon never fails to satisfy me.

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

I'm not sure why Bostonians say this IPA is hoppy. At 42 IBU it qualifies as an IPA but only barely. Not much citrus or floral smell but enough. Aftertaste lingers but thirst quenching bitterness is lacking. Better than any British IPA I have tried, so kudos for improving the style.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

L: It pours brilliant gold under a 3” finely bubbled cream colored persistent foam collar that hugs the side of the glass.
S: This is five months past is best by date but the floral hop aromas are still detectasble from several feet away. Closer up are traces of citrus and pepper.
T: Clean, crisp and dry with light malt on the front end and assertive floral hops on the finish. A trace of light caramel to toffee along with light citrus on the tongue.
F: Medium body and carbonation.
O: A strikingly beautiful beer that is hoppy yet refreshing and easy to drink.

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the first breweries to bring ale brewing back to New England. New England, particularly Boston, has always been known as home of ale cisumers, because of its large irish population.

A great IPA. Nice hop malt balance. Not so happy you can't taste the malt. Smooth and very drinkable. One of my favorite all time ales (Ballantine IPA was one and Sierra Nevada IPA another).

4.5/5  rDev +24%

When in Boston, I was waiting for the bartender to change the keg on the Sam Adams. A guy offered to buy me a Harpoon so I wouldn't have to wait. I'm not gay, but hey, I'll drink a free beer. He ended up buying me 9 beers. It was so much better than the Sam I was planning on ordering...

Turns out he was the Harpoon Brewmaster. I haven't had a Sam Adams since!

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

My first favorite beer, some of my liking may be nostalgia; but even though I often drink highly rated and delicious IPAs, I still love Harpoon. The first t-shirt & short sleeves day in spring means my first six-pack of Harpoon, and it's a session beer of choice for the warmer months.

Ratings note: This is my baseline 'great' beer. I'm new to rating, and thought I'd start here, Harpoon IPA=4.

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

nice easy ipa, not that an ipa should necessarily be easy but this just hit the spot right (right now anyway)... nice mouth feel, even feel, slightly bitter (not a really stiff ipa).... almost ipa light (an a good way)... maybe the wife will like it... naw...

3.34/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a finger of head on a clear dark golden body.
The aroma is mild grain.
The taste is smooth blend of moderate bitterness and malt.
The texture is crisp.
A nice maltier IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this on tap at Harpoon Larry's in Newport News. Pours a fairly clear amber with a small whitish head that dissipates fairly quickly. A very faint aroma of hops and a fairly watery mouthfeel dominate the beverage. it does have a nice malty, floral taste to it. Overall, an acceptable IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pleasant, deep amber color. Two-finger head of tight, white foam thins out after a few minutes, leaving some remnants on the glass. The beer's aroma is sweet--reminiscent of honeysuckles. I must describe the taste and feel as insipid, but only because of my high esteem for some of this brewer's other products. A good, drinkable beer, but not an eyebrow raiser.

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Good solid IPA. I love that it is local, always a good pint.
Color is a nice shade of blonde. Head sticks around with good lacing. Not a hop bomb, but enough to remind you it's an IPA. In addition to the bitterness, a decent malt backbone. Not chewy, but a good tingle on the tongue from the carbonation.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

in the context of a "traditional" English IPA Harpoon nails it. I'm shocked it is not - on average - rated much higher. This is a well balanced IPA with no pronounced malt "backbone" as it were. Malts, floral and fruit are all well combined with what might possibly be one of the best East Coast masterpiece interpretations of the style; other than the ABV being a little high for an English, this one is killer

4.01/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a dark straw yellow to light golden color. Little head but a tiny ring of lace retains throughout. Overall, nothing too special about the look of this brew.
A citric hop aroma hits your nose immediately. As the drink warms I detect hints of sweet malts and fruity esters . This combination kind of reminds me of strawberries dipped in chocolate.
The hops are most persistent in the taste. This is balanced by a malty and bready flavor that keeps the hops bitterness in check. Also there is a nice smooth and fruity finish that balances the flavored.
Good feel. Crisp, refreshing and lighter than some of the more heavy duty IPAs I've had. Overall, I enjoyed this one and will have again.

3.54/5  rDev -2.5%

I think Harpoon IPA is a good introductory IPA for those who are interested in broadening their beer horizons but feel that most IPAs are too hoppy.

Here in Florida, Harpoon is often on special at Publix for 7.99, a good price if you just want a simple 6 pack of a decent IPA.

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer looks prettier than it tastes or smells. It's a nice mild color, and its scent isn't too piney, but it lingers and when you actually sip it, it tastes like you're drinking something made from pinecones.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

My go-to IPA. Very floral hop aroma, with a nice, strong malt presence that balances everything out. Different than most IPAs I've tried. It's definitely an IPA.. it just doesn't beat you over the head about it.

3.11/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A - A watery poor that does not hold it's head beyond a very thin line up bubble on the edge of the glass; this beer had the color of apple juice and absent the thin head, you would never know the difference on first glance

S - Subtle, but indistinct aromas, nothing dominate

T - It has the hop bite, but it's far less bitter than most IPAs, no dominate flavor

F - Has a carbonated feel despite no appearance

O - For me, just okay

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of the IPA, but my curiosity keeps me tasting. I try to temper my preconceptions when evaluating.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured into an IPAD glass (marked "enjoy by 12/15/14").

Appearance: Clear, bright gold with frothy white head. Recedes to spare lacing.

Smell: Sweetish malts and grassy, floral hops.

Taste: Round, caramel malty body balanced by herbal hops and some earthy minerality. Bitter, but only enough to balance the malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: Full hop and malt flavors, well balanced throughout.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Had 1 on tap.

Somewhere between an American IPA and an English IPA, leaning toward the American side but still more balanced than the usual hop bombs.

1/1

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

Much better than I think it gets credit for. The beer pours a straw colored yellow with a thin head that trails the glass. A lot of great floral smells come through because of the hops. The taste has a hop punch up front and then a lot of great toasted flavors coming through. A very complex, yet approachable beer. Would definitely recommend for an everyday beer, or maybe a nice beer to start getting into IPA's with.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

A subtle, solid IPA. When I lived in Boston, this was my go-to IPA. An excellent contrast to the West Coast, superhop approach (though I like those too).

4.39/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a Pint glass.

A: Filtered, Deep Golden, with the slightest tinge of orange. 2 finger head that recedes to a 1/2 inch ring of foam.
S: Heavily of pine. Some grapefruit. Not as much floral or orange notes.
T: A hop-forward presence is matched by a bold, roasted malt backbone to create a larger flavor than expected. An assertive flavor that sits remarkably well on the palate. Doesn't leave too much of an aftertaste, and finishes dry.
M: Light to Medium bodied. Pretty crisp throughout.
O: A great staple from the East Coast that can appeal to many people. If a bar had this on tap, I would have it without a second thought. One of my favorite EIPA's.

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Amber color with a thin thick head with short retention.
Nice aroma with grapefruit and piney notes.
Hoppy flavor with notes of grapefruit, peppery American yeast, pine cones, slightly toasted malts and flowers. Dry aftertaste with a long lasting bitterness.
Medium body with proper carbonation.
Reliable and by the book assertive American IPA, meaning a good solid IPA. I would sure drink this again.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

My go to when at local bars with limited menus.

Appears a see through golden orange color with a big, white head that dissipates quickly.

Smells hoppy with some grapefruit and pine, orange zets, slight bitterness in the nose.

Taste is hoppy and sweet - well balanced.

Overall a staple - probably one of the beers I have consumed the most.

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this on tap at the Burlington Maritime Festival Umphrees McGee concert. Served in a 12 oz clear plastic cup. A clear copper-yellow with a thin white head. Mostly malt in the nose....not a hop bomb at all. Taste was better than I expected after the lack of hop aroma. Caramel malt sweetness with a slightly bitter backbone...although lacking significant hop flavor. Nice refreshing beer. Perfect for the occasion as enjoyed by the horde.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall