Join our email list →

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States | website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) | 5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,215 | Hads: 3,897
2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

I'm not sure why Bostonians say this IPA is hoppy. At 42 IBU it qualifies as an IPA but only barely. Not much citrus or floral smell but enough. Aftertaste lingers but thirst quenching bitterness is lacking. Better than any British IPA I have tried, so kudos for improving the style.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

A ~ A dark golden color with noticeable carbonation and about a half finger head, has a pretty decent lacing. 3.5/5

S ~ Nothing overpowering in the smell of this, sweet fruit maybe oranges, a barely noticeable hop presence in the smell. It might be that I'm a little congested right now but there isn't a whole lot going on in the smell. 3/5

T ~ Well you can definitely taste the hops if you couldn't smell them, nothing over powering but definitely a presence... about average for an IPA in regards to bitterness and taste coming from the hops. Definitely a little bit of caramel in there, pretty good balance. 4/5

M ~ The beer is definitely carbonated, but not in a bad way. Solid feel to it, its goes down easy, an easy beer to drink multiple of. 4.5/5

O ~ This is my go to beer, it isn't an overpowering IPA, with flavor or ABV. It is a good IPA that is available almost anywhere in MA, and on tap at almost every bar. If i feel like having an IPA I can always grab this, it is also generally cheap at bars around Boston if you are on a budget. B-

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally decided to try something of Harpoon's even after having seen the red H bottlecaps in certain secluded areas around town.

Appearance: Two to three finger white, bubbly head. The ale itself is transparent, and a summery dark gold. The head recedes to a foamy layer that sticks itself to the side of the glass, all the way down.

Smell: Smells of a more balanced American IPA. Hopefully it'll taste the same way. However, it's difficult to pick up much of anything, apart from the stronger American IPA scents - grapefruit, resins, pine, astringency.

Taste: Definitely not as bitter an interpretation of the style that's so popular, but instead pretty well balanced. Bitterness comes through first, accompanied by a slightly unsettling 'soapy' flavor, that resolves itself as very mild malt sweetness. The sweetness carries through to the bready aftertaste. I'm sure many others will malign the taste for not being bitter enough, or having enough hop character, but I happen to find its lack of complexity very mellowing.

Feel: The once bubbly head resolves to a layer of foam that smooths out the feel, and makes it feel silky. Carbonation is just enough to feel refreshing.

Overall: I was always aware of Harpoon from a young age, and after reading reviews about this beer, I wasn't expecting much. What I got however, was a very nice middle of the road IPA that makes a perfect go-to beer.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Harpoon IPA is the beer I most drink when I head out to the bars. It's a nice, tasty, simple American IPA that I can drink while enjoying good coversation with friends.

Living in Central, Mass., this is usually one of the best beers available wherever I go.

By no means is it the best American IPA I have ever had, but there's also nothing wrong with it, and fits the bill when you want a good beer to drink while out, or sitting at home watching some sports.

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

Pale amber color. This beer is very crisp. Too crisp for an IPA in my opinion. I didn't appreciate the wateriness. The aftertaste was also not as pleasant as I had hoped. It's very dry and leaves a bitter bite on the back of the tongue.The package store I work at sells a lot of this, so I thought it would be better. The hops are there (piney), but I prefer a better malt backbone. I'll wait till I see this on draft to try it again.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Enjoyed this beer on tap at the Bell In Hand Pub in historic Boston

Poured nicely in a large Hefe style glass with very little head retention...Great autumn auburn color with the aroma of extremely mild hoppiness and chestnut

More similar to an English IPA than its American counterpart...Very smooth, well balanced flavor with decent amount of nutty maltiness that is cut short from the mild hop back...Would view this beer as a good example of a session beer...Not my favorite beer by any means

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

I tried a pint on tap at a local steakhouse,and was pleasantly surprised.I really like this in bottles, and to be honest it's one of my fridge staples, since it's local and fresh, so I expected the same beer on tap. wrong.
It was even better. The smell was like floral perfume, and the taste of the hops not much different. enough malt to balance it out and a crisp finish with a nice bitterness on the back of your tongue. I could drown myself in this on a Saturday night.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Clear golden amber with 1/2 inch head that faded quickly. Lacing left webbing on the side glass.

S-The smell was floral and hoppy but less pronounced than other beers of the style.

T-Malty up front and finishes with a hop bite. However, the bitterness of the hops is less intense than other beers of the style.

M-Mouthfeel is less than full-bodied and slightly watery.

D-Very drinkable beer. It's not exaclty what I expected from an IPA but it definetely has decent flavor. This would be a solid session beer.

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Golden Amber with good head and great laceing

S - Predominant malt aroma, a rather small hop nose for an IPA.

T - Great balance between hops and malt. Pleasant, lingering bitterness on palate.

M - Crisp and pleasant, moderate carbonation light body for style.

D - Will always be a staple in my fridge!

4.21/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - straw golden yellow, fine head which dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma - floral and citrus layered over a pleasant honey sweet maltiness.

Taste - grassy and citrusy to start followed by a light malty sweetness and a nice hop finish with just an edge of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - smooth and round with a sweet soft finish.

Overall - very nice IPA with a great balance of malt and hops neither of which is over stated. Very drinkable.

So this beer is getting some shit reviews lately. It's NOT AN AMERICAN IPA! English ipas are a different breed. Don't expect a citrusy grapefruit drink. They are closer to wee heavies. Very malty, but with more hops.

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: copper orange, slight lacing.

Smell: floral, grass, honey-fruit.

Taste: perfume, bright, young hops, lingers on the buds.

Feel: plenty carbonation, light-medium mouth feel, tangy.

Overall, for this style of English inspired ale, Harpoon has done a pretty damn good job. Let's say they aimed traditional but ended up with a bit of American one-up ism.

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

Surprisingly light for an IPA. i like the drinkability of this beer. The nice crisp flavor and floral tones make this a very good beer on a hot summer night. A very impressive India Pale Ale. Doesnt have the high alcohol content and isnt AS hoppy as most IPA's but i enjoy this beer very much

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

Everyone gets a good on appearance since I cant see colors.

Beer drank smooth. A really light mouthfeel with a tingle of hops.

The smell was hops and very little else. It is an IPA, but I wouldn't mind smelling some beer.

No terrible aftertastes, but it was essentially hop water. Lacked any sort of balance with carbonation or malt.

I don't recommend.

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a nice beer. I recently picked up a six pack, and I was impressed by how easy this beer drinks for an IPA. It is not the finest IPA I've tried, but Harpoon's offering is a really good beer. Also, I'm not sure if I'd seek it out again, but I would definitely down a few if they were offered to me! Decent hoppiness/bite with fairly balanced malt sweetness. I liked it. Worth checking out!

3.56/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap into a pint glass. Initially served a bit too cold and needed a chance to warm up a bit. Poured a lighter golden color than I expected for an IPA with a nice creamy white head. Not a lot going on in the nose, little caramel and roastiness, not a lot of the typical hop aromas. Flavor was good but light on the hops for an IPA. Mostly caramel and roasted malt, with slight fruit notes. Hops are really only present in a slightly bitter dry finish. Smooth and drinkable, pretty good beer I just didn't think it was a great fit for the style. Reminded me more of a slightly more bitter red ale or the like than true IPA.

4.01/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Pours a nice copper color with a decent head. Smell is ok nothing special. Taste Is Actually Pretty good. Refreshing with some suttle hints of citrus. Nothing spectacular or overwhelming but decently balanced and enjoyable. Feel this beer is slightly underrated and find it to be a little above average for the ipas I like. Will try again

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

I like Harpoon's take on India Pale Ale because it's an extremely drinkable variation on the style. It's got a crisp, hoppy, flavorful taste that's just heavy enough to entertain your palate yet light enough so it doesn't fill you up after a few.

I like all different styles of beer, and often treat myself to more exotic potions depending on the season, but this IPA is great anytime of the year, regardless of temperature or occassion.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

I drink alot of this because its my sisters only beer. I find it a little sweet at times, and yesterday at the octoberfest in Vermont, I drank it next to the UFO pale, and it was really notable how little flavor the IPA had. Strange, that. But it is a reliable IPA, and I do choose it when I get the chance. My favorite pub in Atlanta has it for $3 a pint!
Again, a little sweet but a fine light hopiness that drives the drinkability.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Nice Hoppy smell from the bottle after opening.

Poured into a Pint glass with a beautiful 4 finger head and golden/orange color.

Almost a fruity smell from the glass after the head settles down to some puffy clouds.

Very smooth taste on first sip and Hoppy in the mouth.

Overall, this IPA is a good choice for a weekday to go along with a nice submarine sandwich. Oddly enough the second one I had tasted better than the first...and maybe the third will be even better!!

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

(another review culled from my cell phone. Please excuse the brevity.)

12 oz tap pour. 3/4 inch of white head that runs away fairly quickly. Clear, orange color. Floral hops aromas and more in the taste. Medium body, almost light. Malt is evident, the hop bite is almost an after thought. Feel like I'm drinking potpourri tea...

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the first breweries to bring ale brewing back to New England. New England, particularly Boston, has always been known as home of ale cisumers, because of its large irish population.

A great IPA. Nice hop malt balance. Not so happy you can't taste the malt. Smooth and very drinkable. One of my favorite all time ales (Ballantine IPA was one and Sierra Nevada IPA another).

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%

Served on tap into a pint glass at The Fermentation Lounge in Tallahassee, FL.

Appearance - a clear, deep, golden yellow with an inch of fluffy white head.

Smell - Loads of hoppiness paired with some citrus (probably orange) and lightly fragrant spices.

Taste - Very subtle with initial hoppy bitterness that progresses throught the sip. Citrus and mild spice pair with the bitterness quite well and blend. Finally, the bitterness becomes more apparent and leaves a nice bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Light with moderate carbonation and a slight creaminess. Very smooth in comparison to other IPA's.

Drinkability - Exceptional. The bitterness blends quite well and is not overpowering. This beer goes great with anything. Just an all around winner.

3.52/5  rDev -3%

Sorry, lazy review.

There's a reason there are flowers on the bottle-floral. Super hopped as an IPA is intended to be, but not as offensive as some domestic craft IPA's can be.

Not much head, but any extra carbonation would seem like too much. Piney floral scent, dry and crisp with a lingering bitterness (in a good way).

Not for me, but probably a good measure for IPA's

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

I've had this beer from tap and from the bottle. In both this beer is fantastic. Very hopy with no other flavors to get in the way. A really perfect IPA. It has a nice color, slightly dark and reddish brown. It is very drinkable and you don't get tired of it. Its good till the end, like all good IPA's should be. Luckily this beer is very popular in boston, and i hope if i ever move it is popular where i live.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall