Harpoon Dark - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon DarkHarpoon Dark

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.50% ABV

A blend of specialty malts gives this beer a velvety mouthfeel with roasted notes and a hint of chocolate, balanced by a subtle hop aroma. Hard to describe but easy to drink, Harpoon Dark is rich in character and light on the palate.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harpoon Dark Alström Bros

4.95/5  rDev +30.3%

This is a review of likely my top favorite beer out there, and available, I would boldly concur with my previous review...

"Simply One of My Top Five Favorite Beers.

One of the most pleasant beers out there, it has a bold full flavor that is smokey and sweet. It bestows a smooth crisp mouth feel, and leaves only a little sweet aftertaste. It goes well with most meat based dishes, especially if they have a slight spice to them, and with its sweet smokey taste, it makes a wonderful warming beer for the chillier winter months."

But i would like to add a few things, I wasn't expecting it, but the greatest part came right after pouring this into an ice cold pint glass,that was the sweet aroma it bestowed me before I enjoyed it. It was delightful, I could smell complex array of coffee tones, hint of mocha, the robust sent of a bold porter, all of the above. Its be far on of the most pleasing beers to smell. I addition to the last review, I noticed on thing, I wont disagree with but would care to expand. It is a 'wonderful warming beer for the chillier winter months,' clear that was written in February 08, a very wintery month, however I discovered and first came to love this beer after having it chilled to the core, in the middle of summer, after working on a hot day. Since then it has never failed to disappoint me. I'm looking forward to the summer months and enjoying this brew all through it.

Thanks again Harpoon, continue doing great things!!!

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

I had this out of the Harpoon Six-Style Variety Pack. Definitely recommended. I tried the Brown Session Ale and really enjoyed it but when I had this, I found a similarity. They are both brown ales but this is like the father of the two. The smell is a roasted coffee flavor with a hint of caramel. It has a tan two-finger head with a decent lace that slowly fades towards the end. The drinkability of this brew is exceptional. Very very smooth. It is very balanced between the malts and hops and the aftertaste has a slight bitterness to it, not overbearing. This is definitely my favorite Harpoon brew that I have tried. Recommended to anyone who enjoys a solid brown ale as well as anyone who want to switch it up.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Consumed two pints on cask at Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT - at their first homebrew night today, December 7, 2010.

Pours pitch black, allowing no light through but permitting a thin, white head. Aroma of vanilla, caramel/molasses, and some smooth malts. Taste is exceptionally smooth, sweetened with candy sugar that complements the malt very well, with some lighter caramel and barley malts that fit it well, but don't overpower. One of the easiest drinking dark I have had, I could drink it all night though I restrained myself. Raised my already high opinion of Harpoon beers.

Harpoon Dark from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall