UFO Hefeweizen - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-25-2001

UFO Hefeweizen is an American unfiltered wheat beer. Perhaps UFO’s initial sensory perception is also its most prominent: a cloudy golden color and a dense, frothy head. The yeast, which has not been filtered out, accounts for the cloudiness of UFO. Wheat malt tends to create a larger head than barley malt, the cereal grain most often used in brewing. When served in a traditional wheat beer glass with a lemon, UFO presents an appealing and distinctive visual image.

The aroma has a faint but clear citrus-like character. This is produced by the special yeast and accounts for the Bavarian tradition of serving hefeweizens with a lemon. The lemon accentuates the yeast’s fruity, tart fragrance. UFO has a soft mouthfeel and a refreshing, light body. The wheat malts and subtle hopping give the beer a mild, delicate flavor. UFO has a clean finish. Unlike some imported hefeweizens, UFO does not have the spicy, tropical flavors typical of European-brewed style.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 595 | Hads: 1,413
4.72/5  rDev +38.8%

Pours relatively cloudy yellow with medium to strong aroma. Deep frothy head provided poured correctly will provide excellent tangy taste at first then measured complexity to the finish. Excellent for a hot summer day in the backyard whilst grilling.

4.68/5  rDev +37.6%

This is one of my favorite hefe beers. This is another unfiltered hefe, but it is smooth with a lot of flavor. Definitely a summer beer. I hate when they serve this beer with an orange, this is not a cheap beer. Pouring into a glass is a must to bring out all of the aromas.

4.57/5  rDev +34.4%

UFO pours sweetly into the pint glass with great aroma and fluffy white head. A cloudy light straw brew with just enough transparency to allow the proof of carbonation rising through this hefe. Harpoon has really done a wonderful job here crafting a nice American Hefe. Light tasting enough for some non craft drinkers, and just enough clove and banana with a slight hint of juicy fruit for me. UFO does come across a bit thin but this may add to the drinkability... even more so in the summer I would say. I do love a good wheat beer and this is one I greatly enjoy. I am very picky when it comes to wheat brews, I feel a lot of brewers leave balance to the way side, or maybe its just my tastes. Harpoon has a quaffable wheat that will bring a smile to your face as you take another gulp.

4.52/5  rDev +32.9%

My first review and my favorite style of beer. How appropriate.
I have a feeling it just was meant to be.

Appearance: Gold color, cloudy, inviting.

Smell: Who's got time to smell it? It was cold and I just had a long hard day at work. :-)

Taste: It has the clean crisp taste I like. I love to try all kinds of beer but always come back to a wheat beer to clean and refresh my pallet.

Mouthfeel: Feels good to me! LOL

Drinkability: I can't wait to come inside from mowing the lawn this summer and crack one of these open into a frozen pint glass. Mmm Mmm Good.

I loved it. Can you tell?

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%

Appearance- Pale yellow color with a lot of carbonation and a straw colored head
Aroma- Wheat and subtle lemon, citrus.
Taste- Wheat, yeast and slight citrus.
Feel- Crisp, but not so much that it feels cheap. The carbonation is nice without being over powering.
Notes- Goes down smooth. Would be very refreshing on a hot, summer day.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

I picked this up at Whole Foods tonight while looking for something different or a beer I had bypassed in favor of fancy labels or styles. As WF had a lot of Harpoon on hand, the UFO became the 1st target.

I brought it home and popped the top for a pour into my favorite beer glass, a 50cl mug from Crate and Barrel. It poured quite well with a puffy head that settled slowly as I was fixing other things up. The first taste brought back memories of what the original Coors tasted like before the mass marketing screwed it up, but it flowed slightly heavier with distinct tastes of wheat, grains, citrus, and light hops.

The clean lines of taste after taste polished off the first bottle without much thought and I went to another bottle. I slowed down in round 2 to notice it reminded me of some American lagers on tap I had consumed a long time ago in college at fun parties.

I could see drinking this anytime as it was very accessible and it will make an excellent beer to serve to friends this Summer. Now all I need is to find this on draft...and it could be a worthy contender for my annual Halloween party.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

a- bottle poured into a weizen, hazy gold color, one fingers head that faded kinda quick, wispy lacing, ring around the glass.

s- citrus, light wheat, floral hops.

t- very nice, not overpowering wheat, lemony, smack of hops at the end, tasty.

m- nice and full, good body, refreshing.

d- very drinkable, not overly wheaty like some apwas, i'm going to buy a case of this stuff, delicious.

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

Served in an english pint glass at The Black Rose in Boston. Hazy Golden in color. Light citrus aroma. Good lacing but very little head. Citrus taste but not overpowering. Smooth finish. Excellent drinkability. Would definitely order this beer again.

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

I really like this beer. I first had it @ Blue Smoke on draft in NYC and have since been buying it bottled at Whole Foods and Shoprite in Paramus, NJ.

This beer pours out pretty well with a small head that unfortunately evaporates a little quickly, but keeps nice lacing. This beer is pretty gold in color and pretty cloudy and slightly cirtusy in smell. UFO is a pretty sweet tasting beer, like most wheat beers, and its very creamy. Its slightly lemony and slightly spicy. This beer is very light and drinkable, especially on a hot summer day. It's also really good with a nice steak :)

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

I'm not a big weiz fan, but I love this beer. The yeast really comes out and none of that fruity flavor of a cheap imported weiz. I think it's much better than Oberon, but this could be me.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

On-tap 1/4/07 at Chili’s in Lincoln, RI, served in a large Weizen glass.
I’ve had this beer a few times from a bottle and it was one of the first few beers I reviewed, but I had never had it on-tap until now.

A: The beer is a bright gold color with a good-sized, foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is fruity with lemon and full of wheat. The funny thing is that I don’t remember the smell being so strong in the bottled version and I usually have trouble smelling beers that I drink on-tap.

T: Lemon and wheat dominate the taste as well. There’s a little bit of hops, but not much. Overall it’s a light but bready taste with a heavy dose of lemon.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy carbonation, light-to-medium body, finish is clean.

D: Tasty and very easy-to-drink, not too filling and a good representation of the APWA style. I had forgotten how much I liked this beer until I drank it again.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

Appearance- Poured a nice gold color with a thick white head. Lacing was present but minimal.

Smell- hints of banana, clove and citrus is present. Nice wheat smell is present as well.

Taste- Again banana and citrus come through. Very refreshing with nice earthy wheat taste also.

Mouthfeel- Medium-light body with medium-high carbonation.

Overall- A very solid, drinkable wheat beer. This beer is awesome during the summer. I could see this being my regular session beer especially in the Louisiana heat. Too bad they don't distribute here.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

I am surprised by the righteous quality of this Hefe. Appropriate in appearance -- more of a minila folder-yellow -- it has the spot-on aromatic profile: doughy banana with a hint of cilantro and clove. On the palate it is quite chalky in texture, with abundant flavors of stone, lemon and cream. Interludes of malt, strawberry and pepper appear throughout as well. Very dusty, dry tannins -- like a toned-down version of Paulaner Hefe Weizen. Chewy.

Compare this to an average commercial Hefeweizen like Erdinger's and this must be praised for its cleanness and character. What is not fair is to compare this to the artisinal, and more expensive products from such genre-pushing styles as Schneider and Weihenstephan. This is to German-style Hefeweizen as Hoegaarden or Wittekerke are to Belgian Wit: natural, characterful, not heavy and quenching.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

I have never been a very big fan of wheat beers but this beer is the exception. The UFO Hefeweizen has an indescribably smooth and refreshing taste. This organic beer is so fresh and easily fits the bill, especially on those hot summer days. I would recommend this beer to anyone regardless of whether you like wheat beers.

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

This is great alternative to a German Hefeweizen. Take it from someone who drank a lot of Hefe in Germany. It was true in color. The flavor was slightly fruity but not over done like a lot of Hefeweizens. The smell was pleasant fruity but slightly metalic. It went down smooth and I was ready for another.

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

Honestly ladies and gents... this beer is for anyone who wants to drink a true unfiltered wheat beer. It is the one of the best in this category. I think that it compares nicely with a Blue Moon in the fact that each deserves a taste of citrus with it, but I do believe that this beer deserves a true lemon sqeeze to be fully enjoyed.

4.27/5  rDev +25.6%

Cloudy and orangeish in color with a slight white head. Flowery and hoppy in smell with slight notes of citrus and wheat. Refreshing in taste with the citrus ringing through. A highly drinkable beer that tastes good and finishes well. Incredibly balanced.

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%

Served from a bottle in a tall pilsener. Cloudy golden color; good looking beer. Wheaty aroma. Tasty flavor; good example of a style with hints of yeast and banana. Light mouthfeel; this beer is highly drinkable. Great summer beer to enjoy on a hot day.

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%

PresentationL 12 oz bottle poured into a Harpoon UFO glass, yeast swirled in, no friggin' lemon.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow color. Poured two-finger head that faded slowly.

Aroma: Pale malts and yeast.

Taste and mouthfeel: Bready with a hint of the yeast, and some fruity undertones. Slightly watery on the finish. Mouthfeel was pleasant, although a little carbonated.

Overall: Honestly, I really like this beer. It's one of, if not the best American version of this style. It would be most enjoyable on a warm summer afternoon.

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

It poured with a medium foam heady, cloudy in apperance and heavvily carbonated. A yellow orange gold color.
A good banana clove scent can be smelled typical
Tasty malt charscter comes through nicely with nice yeasty finish.
Good head retention and lacing through out session.

Very worthy but I kinda like my beers a little stronger

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color on tap, with lots of sediment settling at the bottom of the glass. A great looking huge white head sits atop the brew with good retention. Pleasing aromas of lemon, light banana, and a grassy hop presence. Flavors of citrus, mild spice and banana, and the grassy hops round out the brew nicely. Not a ton of clove spice but thats OK. Highly drinkable, and a great American version of the Hefe.

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was surprised but happy when I tried this beer. Most of the best Hefe's I have tried have been imported, but Harpoon hit the jackpot on this one. Very smooth and drinkable with or without food, add a slice of lemon it enhances the flavor of this beer.......CHEERS

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

Harpoon again delivers another solid beer. The UFO Hefeweizen is a solid Hefeweizen with good flavor. The unfiltered Hefeweizen gives it the smooth yet unique flavor that UFO beers provide. Again I enjoy drinking this during the summer while grilling out. It is light enough that you can just enjoy the smooth flavor with just about any dish in the summer.

4.17/5  rDev +22.6%

Wow!!! I have finally tasted an Amercian hefeweizen thats not over powering and i love it. As I am at a small town college right now in the boondocks of PA its hard for me to get good micro's and this is my first sampling of Harpoon. The beer's appearance is the typical light gold yet slighty cloudy of hefeweizens and the head leaves a slight lace though the rest of the beer doesnt and disapates quickly. Carbonation is mild, has a slight tickle on the tongue but nothing too atypical of any other American hefewiezen i have tried. As i stated before the taste is mellow thus leaving the drinker without the slightest desire for a slice of lemon in this brew. I was very impressed with this brew and will definetly have to make the road trip down to Pittsburgh from Meadville to get some more Harpoons next time the urge hits me.

5KD approved.

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

A- It looks like just a light beer with more of a yellow tint to it than most.

S-After smelling it I was expecting an average beer because there wasnt much to the smell.

T- After the apperance and smell I was about to give up on it being good, but i was wrong. I loved the taste of this beer with the lemon aftertaste. So nice on this hot summer day! I wish i had more than one.

M- Great bubbly feel to this and it went down great and i felt it the whole way which i like. AWESOME aftertaste too!

UFO Hefeweizen from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall