UFO Hefeweizen - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-25-2001

UFO Hefeweizen is an American unfiltered wheat beer. Perhaps UFO’s initial sensory perception is also its most prominent: a cloudy golden color and a dense, frothy head. The yeast, which has not been filtered out, accounts for the cloudiness of UFO. Wheat malt tends to create a larger head than barley malt, the cereal grain most often used in brewing. When served in a traditional wheat beer glass with a lemon, UFO presents an appealing and distinctive visual image.

The aroma has a faint but clear citrus-like character. This is produced by the special yeast and accounts for the Bavarian tradition of serving hefeweizens with a lemon. The lemon accentuates the yeast’s fruity, tart fragrance. UFO has a soft mouthfeel and a refreshing, light body. The wheat malts and subtle hopping give the beer a mild, delicate flavor. UFO has a clean finish. Unlike some imported hefeweizens, UFO does not have the spicy, tropical flavors typical of European-brewed style.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,386 | Reviews: 600
1.48/5  rDev -56.6%

Pours to a clear pale-golden, forming a whispy white head with poor retention and minimal lacing. Swirling the heavily compacted yeast and adding it adds just a touch of cloudiness, but certainly less that I would expect for the style. Carbonation is mild to moderate. Aroma is "American Wheat" which means disappointment...no bananas, cloves or anything interesting. Some non-descript fermentable by-products, a few esters, toast, dirty ashtray, and the unmistakable odor of urine after drinking 24 ounces of truck-stop coffee. Boring and disturbing. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a light body. Taste begins with spicy floral flavor hops, followed by a bad adjunct bite, bready yeast, some fusels, a hint of clove, and a herbal bitterness of medium intensity.

I think the UFO stands for "Undrinkable Fleischmann's Obscenity".

Horrible crap. Pyramid even looks good compared to this utter shit.

1.91/5  rDev -44%

From 12 oz bottle from Harpoon Brewery - Boston MA and Windsor VT. Label reads Hefeweizen - Unfiltered Wheat Beer. No date stamp and sadly no ABV on bottle. Beer Advocate lists the beer at 4.8%.

Poured into a pint bar glass with a hazy golden color and very little head.

Aromas of grain and some yeast and citrus. Not impressive.

The flavor profile is a real disaster in my opinion from start to finish. First the tongue is assaulted with an unwelcome very bitter taste with some very slight lemon and then biting finish with little flavor.

The mouth feel is very uneven and lacks any real body or redeeming value. It has medium to high carbonation but little on the flavor side to support it.

Overall this example is way below what I have come to expect from both German and American brewers of this style, such as Paulander's Hefe-Weizen amd Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis Hefeweizen.

From bottle to glass golden color with slight head.
a: Golden color, 0.5" head
s: Mild wheat smell
t: Orange taste
m: Wheat beer taste, not appealing to my taste, some aftertaste
o: Not a fan of wheat UFO

Purchased only one bottle, and that was enough.

Appearance: Straw yellow, maybe a touch darker, and cloudy. The head is virtually non-existent and dissipates rapidly with no lacing.

Smell: Can of corn, slightly yeasty.

Taste: Sweet and malty, like a really sweet malt liquor. It's too sweet, as if it had Sweet & Low in it.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, boring.

This beer tastes like a sweet malt liquor and is really crappy. Most any beer is better than this unless it's a malt liquor.

This is a hefe? I almost thought I was drinking a macro swill. I've had american ales, flying dog's in heat wheat is great. What were these guys thinking? It poured a cloudy yellow as expected, but very little head. There was no fruity, banana, maybe some wheat, but barely. I was very disappointed. Once again a 6 pack I need to pass on. ufo is a good name for this. It's definetly out there.I don't recommend letting it get warm either, then you have a nice salty, sweat taste....mmmm.

2.07/5  rDev -39.3%

My other 4th of July beer, it's big shoes to fill after the Full Sail Pale Ale.

Aroma-Cloudy yellow/orangish body. One finger white head with nice retention and some lacing.

Smell-Wheat, some light spice and some skunk.

Taste-Bland is shit. This beer sucks. What is this beer? Pale Wheat Ale? Hefe? It's not even a good hybrid of the two. Very subtle citrus and hops. Some wheat. Just very boring, wasn't even worth finishing the beer considering it cost me 1.50.

Mouthfeel-Watery, prickly, way to much carbonation. Very unpleasant, had to choke it down.

Overall-I just let this beer sit in the heat for about 20 minutes after drinking about 6oz and ended up pouring it out. Stay away from this horseshit beer.

2.16/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours and an opaque pale custard color. Decent foamy white head that leaves several lace rings before fading to a thin skim.

Smells like light grain, dry cornbread, moldy yeast and popcorn. Smells like a county fair actually.

Crist with light grain, mild burnt yeast and lemon in the middle. Chex mix aftertaste. Mouthfeel is crisp and grainy.

No clove, no banana. Overall, fizzy swill that needs a lemon or an orange to be palatable.

2.16/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours golden yellow into my Harpoon IPA pint glass. Big 4 finger head minimal lacing.

Smells a little bitter.

Taste is unremarkable. Somewhat bitter but nothing much else going on.

Feels decent in the mouth good carbonation.

This beer would be good for non-craft drinkers. It reminds me of a macro-brew. I love wheat beers but this one left me wanting more.

2.21/5  rDev -35.2%

Nothing special here. Yellow and moderately cloudy in color with a small white head. Slightly sour, musty flavor to it and it wasn't all that refreshing, especially for a "refreshing" type of beer. I did taste a bit of lemon as well but the beer in general was quite weak and watery. I enjoyed their IPA so I'll just stick to that one if I'm going to get a Harpoon.

2.22/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance is a cloudy yellow/amber

not much of an aroma..slight hint of banana

this hefeweizen pales in comparison to others i have tried. not much flavor, pretty bland actually. I have come to like the hefeweizen style of beer. (Long Trail makes one of the best I have tried) but I will take this one off of ,y list of beers to drink.

Very disappointing brew from a good brewery.

2.25/5  rDev -34%

Me and a friend tried this because we were looking for something new.

A- Very cloudy yellowy slight head.

S- Bitter slight alcohol wheaty.

T- Awful enough said.

M- Suprisingly good mouthful a lot of body.

D- Meh it went down pretty good once you choke past the awful taste.

2.27/5  rDev -33.4%

On tap in the UFO hefe glass, UFO is a hazy straw with a tight white head that leaves heavy lace.

Smell is dry, a bit mineral laden, perhaps a touch of wheat, but very bland overall. Banana and clove, no where to be found...in fact, no esters whatsoever.

Taste was dry and grainy, wheat and pils on the lingering aftertaste. In spite of their best marketing efforts, with the hefe style glassware and proclamation on the label, it's clearly just a simple APWA...which IMHO only misleads naive beer drinkers and alienate educated beer drinkers.

Mouthfeel is crisp, with a decent body thanks to the wheat.

Drinkability was ok as far as inoffensive and thrist quenching. But it was very boring, and mislabed, which really annoys me!
If the label said APWA instead of hefe, I would slam this less. But it says hefe, and if that's what they were going for, they failed miserably. Hint to harpoon, it's all in the esters, which require actually using a hefe yeast!

2.31/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours milky pale golden with very little head.
Smells like what I imagine my wife smells when she says "It smells like beer." Slightly astringent, a wee bit of clove.
Tastes like ham. A bit salty maybe and a smoky flavor that can only be described as, well, ham. Also, ends really bitter. Very off putting all-around.
Mouthfeel is a bit sticky, but otherwise OK.
That ham flavor makes this beer far less drinkable than it could be. I'm sure this is a great beer in MA, but just didn't survive the trip to MI very well. I look forward to trying this fresh in Boston.

2.31/5  rDev -32.3%

Purchased from Midtown Wine and Spirits, Nashville, TN.

I should've just bought the IPA, but I was enamored with the cool label and thought I'd give it a try. Glad I tried it, but sorry I've got five more to drink before I'm done with these.

Appearance is mostly positive here, looks like a nice hefe, perhaps a shade or two darker than Paulaner or Franziskaner, but certainly to-style. Head was smaller than I'm used to on a wheat beer, but at least it was present for the whole length of the beer.

Smell was vaguely to-style, with a very minimal citrus flavor, but overall the scent was dominated by the hops and spices that go into the beer. I'm not totally against hoppy beers, but in a light-tasting hefe/wheat beer, I'd rather taste the fruity flavors than the hops. Just my opinion.

Taste was.... bleh. Nothing really important to say here, nothing jumps out at me (except the over-reliance on hops to make the beer) , it was just incredibly bland. Almost so much so as to be difficult to drink -- I was constantly wishing I had a real, high-quality Hefeweizen instead.

Mouthfeel was all right -- at least it sort of coated the mouth like a good wheat beer should. Aftertaste was muted, but more pleasant than the first taste of the beer. Foamy and medium-bodied, but again, nothing special.

Drinkability was low on this one. I didn't really care for it, although I'm sure the brewers made the beer they were intending to make, and I knew halfway through my first bottle that I wouldn't be buying this again.

Should have tried this in a five-ounce sample size first -- then I could've saved the eight bucks or so I spent on the six-pack.

2.33/5  rDev -31.7%

COLOR: Nice Golden Sunflower Oil type color. Not too hazy like other unfiltered hefeweizens. Pour with about two inches of head which dissipates pretty quickly leaving a moderate amount of lacing on the glass.

SMELL: Sweet citrusy scent.

TASTE: Wheat. Light Hoppy Bitterness. Citrus tones (lemon).

MOUTHFEEL: Flat. Very light carbonation. Watery.

DRINKABILITY: I didn't find this beer very appealing with respect to taste. It smells good, but the taste is not interesting or exceptional.

OVERALL GRADE: C-

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

A- Very slight;y hazy dark straw colored. Big white head that reduces to a solid white cap

S- Musty wheat, almost corn adjuncty.

T- Weak, weak wheat with some funky/adjuncty yuck-taste in the back ground. I've had this before but don't remember it being this bad.

M- Thin bodied. Low carbonation. Like drinking bitter watered down wheat-y Budweiser. Ick.

D- Ick.

2.37/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass. It had a best by date of 7/15/09 lasered onto the neck. I stirred up the sediment so it was a very hazy pale straw color. Good carb streams and good lacing. It had a large white head that very slowly dissipated into a thick foam.

The aroma was lemony wheat and yeast. Also had a bit of skunk that I usually find in pilseners or kolschs which was odd. Not very pleasing and not a typical aroma for the style. Needed some banana sweetness to offset it. The taste was also a mess. More like a lager than an APWA taste to me. Again, missing some sweet to offset the grains. Not good.

Overall, a major disappointment. Was hoping to find another summer beer for the rotation but this ain't it. Time to get my sister to ship me some Oberon from Indiana again. Don't recommend. One and done for me.

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

Appearance – Light orangish-yellow in color with a decent head, but not the frothing Hefe Weizen head that I know and love.

Smell – There’s a light yeast aroma to this one coupled with some floral hops and maybe even some spicing (clove, chiefly). There’s also a grain backbone.

Taste – The hops are tromped by the grain. Where the yeast is I do not know.

Mouthfeel – The smallish carbonation doesn’t even come close.

Drinkability – This was not a bad drinking beer, but nothing near a true Hefe Weizen.

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

The beer had a great appearance at first with a nice head and color. The taste was just bland and almost too watery. Nothing about the smell, taste, or mouthfeel stood out. Lacking in carbonation. Mouthfeel was too light. Taste for a split second was typical of the style, but it would quickly disappear and taste like a watered down hefe. I felt like this beer is among the most boring beers I've ever tasted.

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

I would have liked this beer to be very different, like , maybe as advertised, but it wasn't. It wasn't even a tasty wheat beer, and the "unfiltered" part made the appearence look a little cloudy, but not much else. The head was great, but this had very little scent, faint telling of a Hefe, but very disappointing. Mouth was better than average, it was chewy, but less than others. Taste was, like I said, basic. I liken this to JW Dundees Hefe, only as a plain wheat beer, this doesn't make it. There is only a hint of Hefe tastes, with banana taste lacking. It was bitter, but that was the only plus, there was a slight wheat note, but nothing else.

Low score for a Hefe, low score for a wheat beer, just missed on all bases. Won't get again.

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

A - A slightly hazy golden color. Large frothy head that dissipates quickly. Some intense visible carbonation. No lacing. For an unfiltered beer this is hardly cloudy at all.

S - A grassy hop aroma with a touch of stale malt.

T - Very bland. There is a mild grassy hops with a bland bitter aftertaste. Not too great, but I honestly like it more than most american wheat beers because it does not have an intense, somewhat off, bland bitter aftertaste - it only has a mild one.

M - Only a little smooth, thin, and not very refreshing.

D - It is okay. Pretty easy to drink. Not really worth having. A bit better than most american wheats since it is mild in its offensive characteristics. Not really worth the money.

2.39/5  rDev -29.9%

I suppose I like my hefeweizens to have some taste to them. A little clove or banana esters would have been nice with this one. It's a decent beer for warm weather, but it's too tasteless for my liking. Personally, I don't like this trend in commercial beers of brewing hefeweizens without the estery goodness. I see that one of The Bros' reviewed this in 2001 and he said it was one of the best examples of an American wheat. The recipe must have changed from 11 years ago. This is not a good representation of a hefeweizen and should be avoided if you want to enjoy and appreciate the style.

2.41/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours a straw-yellow with ahint orange around the edges. Nicely hazy with a 2 1/2" off-white head that drops fairly slowly to about 3/4" (about 3 minutes).
Smell is not really there, very light all over. What there is is light citrus (lemon) and spice notes with some hops and malt.
Taste is lemon, malt, hops and a very light spice.
A bit flatter than I expected with a pretty light body. Fairky clean finish with slight astringency. The hoppy aftertaste is mild. With so many other good wheats, I'd pick something else.

2.42/5  rDev -29%

On the grounds of being labeled a Hefeweizen, this beer did not deliver. It has the right appearance, and the aroma was almost on par for the style (though it strayed a bit). The mouthfeel was very carbonated which is typical, and medium to light bodied. That's where it ends. The taste of the beer (IMO the most important part) was that of a skunky lager. It had MUCH more hop presence than should be found in any beer claiming to be a Hefeweizen and it totally lacked the banana and clove character of the style. If you want a REAL Hefe from a domestic brewery, go pick up Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%

Fan of the label. This one is mediocre.

A: golden yellow with a small head

S. Faint almost non-existent banana. Hardly any wheat or yeast flavor.

T: very light bodied Hef. Sorta watered down taste.

M: slightly bitter, light, watery. Nothing stands out about this beer.

O: Yeah, I'd drink again on a hot, summer, Texas day. I wouldn't turn it down but, I probably wouldn't buy it. It drinks very fast due to the lack of flavors. Blue Moon has more of a wheat taste.

UFO Hefeweizen from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall