UFO Hefeweizen - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

pDev: 15%
Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

UFO Hefeweizen is an American unfiltered wheat beer. Perhaps UFO’s initial sensory perception is also its most prominent: a cloudy golden color and a dense, frothy head. The yeast, which has not been filtered out, accounts for the cloudiness of UFO. Wheat malt tends to create a larger head than barley malt, the cereal grain most often used in brewing. When served in a traditional wheat beer glass with a lemon, UFO presents an appealing and distinctive visual image.

The aroma has a faint but clear citrus-like character. This is produced by the special yeast and accounts for the Bavarian tradition of serving hefeweizens with a lemon. The lemon accentuates the yeast’s fruity, tart fragrance. UFO has a soft mouthfeel and a refreshing, light body. The wheat malts and subtle hopping give the beer a mild, delicate flavor. UFO has a clean finish. Unlike some imported hefeweizens, UFO does not have the spicy, tropical flavors typical of European-brewed style.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Hefeweizen Alström Bros
necoadam

Connecticut

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

After reading all the terrible reviews, I was afraid to get this beer. This came in a variety 12 pack with Munich dark, IPA, and their Ale. Appearance looked quite good. Poured out a golden color with a big amount of carbonation to my surprise. Smell wasn't anything too big. Some malts, grain, and yeast, but it was all faint. Taste was alright. Wheat and hops make an appearance with a spicy bit at the end that lasts for a while in the aftertaste. Seems like cloves to me. All and all, it wasn't too bad. I'm sure this is much better on-tap, but just to kick back a few with some guys, this could do just fine.

06-09-2004 12:12:20 | More by necoadam
JackTheRipper

3.23/5  rDev -5%

A: Hazy golden color with a lot of carbonation visible. Head was initially about a fingers worth of light fluffy suds, but has now dissipated to a thin layer of foam with no real lacing to be seen.
S: Very strong smell of a dark bread crust hits me first off. A bit yeasty with a very faint peppery spice smell.
T: Tastes are on the lighter side, predominantly a sweet malty taste with some yeasty/bready tastes. No real hops noticed.
M: Quick carbonation. Feels a bit fizzy in the mouth, but that seems to help carry some of the flavors and aromas around. Alcohol feels higher than the stated ABV%. Very light in body without a whole lot of aftertaste.
D&N: A fair wheat ale, no more. I'd much rather have a Penn Hefe, this beer doesn't have enough body or character to really attract my attention.

05-31-2004 02:55:42 | More by JackTheRipper
MuddyFeet

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

This was the first Hef I've had that I thought I may actually want a second. It was poured a sickly, cloudy orange, with no head to speak of. It was served with a lemon, which was not so bad I guess. Still want to try one without a lemon. I think what I liked about this ber was that it had a nice hop flavor mixed in with the sweet-and-sour wheat flavor. The beer's smell was dominating by the lemon.

05-09-2004 22:19:08 | More by MuddyFeet
CBFanWish

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

I feel bad for giving this beer such a low rating, but I'm only being honest.
Weak almost nonexistantaroma with only slight hints of banana. The taste was fruity, yet way way way over sweet. I tasted over ripe bananas, pears. It was like the ice wine of the beer world. too sweet. I was told by the brewery rep to put a lemon in it, but I wanted to taste the beer for the beer. I should have taken the lemon.

04-25-2004 13:18:21 | More by CBFanWish
Mitchster

1.48/5  rDev -56.5%

Pours to a clear pale-golden, forming a whispy white head with poor retention and minimal lacing. Swirling the heavily compacted yeast and adding it adds just a touch of cloudiness, but certainly less that I would expect for the style. Carbonation is mild to moderate. Aroma is "American Wheat" which means disappointment...no bananas, cloves or anything interesting. Some non-descript fermentable by-products, a few esters, toast, dirty ashtray, and the unmistakable odor of urine after drinking 24 ounces of truck-stop coffee. Boring and disturbing. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a light body. Taste begins with spicy floral flavor hops, followed by a bad adjunct bite, bready yeast, some fusels, a hint of clove, and a herbal bitterness of medium intensity.

I think the UFO stands for "Undrinkable Fleischmann's Obscenity".

Horrible crap. Pyramid even looks good compared to this utter shit.

04-19-2004 23:30:37 | More by Mitchster
Jacobob10

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

A yellowish-orange beer with a slight head that leaves decent lacing. It is definitely not as cloudy as most unfiltered hefe's i've had before. Citrus aroma with a lemon and orange taste that is not overpowering. Lots of carbonation and not bitter. This is one of the better hefe's i've had, but it is not my favorite style of beer.

04-19-2004 12:39:27 | More by Jacobob10
RoyalT

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%

Appearance – Light orangish-yellow in color with a decent head, but not the frothing Hefe Weizen head that I know and love.

Smell – There’s a light yeast aroma to this one coupled with some floral hops and maybe even some spicing (clove, chiefly). There’s also a grain backbone.

Taste – The hops are tromped by the grain. Where the yeast is I do not know.

Mouthfeel – The smallish carbonation doesn’t even come close.

Drinkability – This was not a bad drinking beer, but nothing near a true Hefe Weizen.

03-31-2004 02:34:37 | More by RoyalT
yeagerbm

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance was average, less hazy than expected.
Smell some banana and pineapple tropical fruitiness.
Taste same characteristics as smell along with some adjunct flavors similar to those American pale lagers. Average mouthfeel. Starts out pretty good but gets a little too sweet at the bottom, and tastes more like a overly sweet macro.

03-30-2004 02:43:45 | More by yeagerbm
scriabin

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

For me this is a decent all-around beer that seems to marry well to a variety of foods - steak, chicken, fish, veggies. For a HW, I don't consider it to be in the same league as some others, such as Paulaner, but alas this is the only one many packies offer around here, so I buy it and I drink it. And doggone it, I even enjoy it. However, it seems to me to be a little less "unfiltered" than in the past, but perhaps that's just me.

03-27-2004 22:00:21 | More by scriabin
Southernbrew

Georgia

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

I chose to drink this sans-lemon.

Straw color with a big bubbly head.

Sweet malt scent, touch of yeast and some fruit.

Medium body, lots of carbonation. Slight fruit elements with a touch of spice and some bitterness. Maybe a bit watery.

A good hefeweizen, but certainly not the best.

03-05-2004 23:11:32 | More by Southernbrew
NJpadreFan

2.98/5  rDev -12.4%

UFO Hefeweizen by Harpoon

No lemon in my taste test!

Appearance- cloudy yellow with a soapy white head. Head didn't last more than 10 seconds.

Smell- sweet wheat. A little too sweet.

Taste- not bad. sweet but watery not much going on in this beer. A hot summer day pounder.

Mouthfeel- I detect some alcohol and it is plenty carbonated. I burped alot.

Overall- a quick thirst quencher during a hot July day. I would prefer Smutty Nose' Weizenheimer over this though.

03-02-2004 20:05:53 | More by NJpadreFan
travolta

2.98/5  rDev -12.4%

12oz bottle
Apperance: cloudy, baby yellow. great head. Tiny little bubbles which last quite a long time. lace is nice.

Nose: im serious about this....Tuna. Asside from the regular Hefe, all I get is tuna!

Taste: Lemon, a little bitter. The taste is the usualy Hefe, but is not quite as bubbly on the tounge, or as bitter.

Notes: im not too impressed. This is light and a little crisp, but not amazing. Worth the price.

03-01-2004 02:54:00 | More by travolta
GeoffFromSJ

This is a very drinkable and light beer. Absolutely perfect for summer, althought I had it in a record-breaking cold day in winter. I can't wait to drink this after I mow my lawn. Although in the winter, I'm just looking forward to more daylight and warmer weather. UFO is hazy, b/c it is unfiltered. I had mine with a lemon, and I would have to say it is better without. For what it is, this is pretty darn good and drinkable. But only come to this beer if you are looking for something which is lighter and refreshing.

01-18-2004 19:52:22 | More by GeoffFromSJ
pezoids

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

This one poured a very pale and hazy dull yellow color. Very light looking. The head was surprisingly dense and creamy. Lemony malt aroma with some sweet grasses in there. The taste is light, sweet, tangy and somewhat bitter. Finishes with a citrus tang. This is a very light bodied and overall light tasting Hef. Although lacking in depth of flavor and body, it makes up in its drinkability.

01-18-2004 07:16:47 | More by pezoids
OldFrothingSlosh

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

The UFO from Harpoon poured a cloudy dull yellow in color. Lots of sediment in the glass but it's very, very fine, making it impossible to pick out the individual yeast particles. Thick and creamy white lace dies quickly away to just a miniscule layer. Decent lacing of the glass. Aromas are lacking. No bannanas or fruity esters noted. Almost exclusively a "wheaty" aroma. Not much else. Flavor is more of the same. The wheat flavor dominates, with just a token bit of zesty spice to liven things up. Finishes dry with a bit hop snap at the end. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good. Smooth on the palate with just the right dryness to quench the thirst. Great summer beer. Lower end of the ABV scale means you have more than a few after a hot summer's day of work.

01-12-2004 18:52:00 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
WesWes

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%

The beer pours a clear gold color with a thin white head that quickly fades to lacing. This quite un-hefe like. It boasts of being unfiltered, but the beer is as clear as a golden ale. Also, it has little head retention. Hefe's are supposed to hold a decent head. The aroma is weak. It has a wheat aroma, but I have to really try to find it. It lacks that fruity banana smell and the yeast zing. The taste is under par. Don't get me wrong it's not bad for a pale ale, but thins is supposed to be some kick ass hefe beer. It lacks the fruity taste that accompanies most all hefe's. It has a pale ale feel with a bit of body and wheat malt flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with good carbonation. It drinks average. This was a waste of time and money.

01-08-2004 02:18:51 | More by WesWes
Jables

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a hazy bright yellow. A little lighter than I'd hoped but it matched the picture on the label exactly.

Nose was full of yeasty breadiness, but the body was slightly thin. The fruity flavors I was expecting were subtle to absent and no spicy clove flavors could be detected.

It was light and crisp and relatively easy drinking but short on the depth of flavors I expect from this style.

01-01-2004 06:12:54 | More by Jables
ADR

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Nice and very hazy pale gold color, good puffy head of 1/2 an inch. lots of thickish lace. Scant esters to the smell, more yeast, a bit of plum. Mouthfeel is medium with minimal carbonation. Taste-wise, a little flat, slightly canvas-like, thin spice, touch of citrus tanginess to the finish. A little added grittiness to the texture on warming. There's nothing bad about the beer -- and Hefes aren't favorites of mine -- but generally I look for more clove and fruity esters in the ones I tend to like. Thanks to Liza P. and her dad for getting it, and Ken K. for bringing it back.

12-31-2003 16:56:43 | More by ADR
merlin48

Kentucky

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

This is from a 12 bottle sampler box. Pours a cloudy yellow gold with an ample white head that has decent staying power. Nose is a profound citrus, on a wheaty background. Mouthfeel is tart and very carbonated. Taste has citrus notes and is palate cleansing. Head lasts forever and lacing is all over the glass. Tastes like a good American weissbier that would be much better on a hot sunny day in midsummer. More pleasantly fruity as the glass warms and the malt balance kicks in. Light bodied and quite drinkable, this is a nicely crafted product. It does seem slightly watered down, but I detect this quality in many American wheats.

12-08-2003 22:33:54 | More by merlin48
goz

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours hazy golden with a medium white head that lasts, leaving decent lacing. Aroma is sour and citric, fairly light. Flavor is mostly sour, with a slight sweetness at times. Body is thin, somewhat watery in the mouth. There is some sort of metallic aftertaste that I get every time I have tried this, not very pleasant.

12-08-2003 01:08:23 | More by goz
mschofield

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Hazy golden orange with creamy white head. Left a ring of lace at the top of the pour.
Banana and spice aroma
Fruity taste, quite nutty as well, slightly spicy all over a wheat grain background. Slight citrus bitterness.
The feel is on the strong side of light. UFO is quite cleansing and easy to drink, good with spicy foods.
I liked it better on draught, better in hot weather than in november, but it's still good all the time.

12-04-2003 21:12:29 | More by mschofield
Dogbrick

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a hazy unfiltered-looking yellow color with a thin white head. Thin lacing. Aroma of citrus, banana and wheat. Crisp and rather light with a nice citrusy flavor, and it stays very effervescent on the tongue throughout. The finish is dry and a little fruity. This beer is not overly "wheaty", and that may be why I enjoyed it more than I usually enjoy beers of this style. I found this easy to drink.

11-17-2003 04:26:51 | More by Dogbrick
Hefe

Maryland

Tasted from the glass teat on 11/05/03

Appearance: Golden and hazy with a whitish lasting head.

Smell: Fruity-yeasty with citrus and banana.

Taste: Same again as the nose, but the citrus is more like lemongrass and there is a touch of clove as well.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, with a bit of refreshing acidity.

Drinkability: Fantastic summery brew, too damn bad I waited till november to sample, there's always next year I suppose.

11-12-2003 04:23:08 | More by Hefe
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

This is one of the better wheat beers I have had. What was funny, was that I had it on tap at Outback Steakhouse of all places. What else was funny, was that the waiter told me it was some UFO beer from Norway! Hahaha, these people need to get their stuff straight. Next thing you know, Bud will be an import from Andorra. Anyways, it was a real refreashing beer. It was hearty in the wheat area, but wasn;t too overbearing. It was balanced well with slight malts and hops. It went down smooth and quenched my thirst. I'm not sure of the appearance, but I gave it a 3.5, because I saw what it probably could have been. It was served to me in a frozen mug, so I never really got a good head from it and there was ice in it. Damn those that put good beer in frozen mugs, DAMN YOU!!!

10-30-2003 04:08:53 | More by JISurfer
86MonteSS

Connecticut

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

After seeing a few guys on my campus wearing UFO t-shirts, I put this high on my list of beers to try for no other reason than to see how mediocre it was. I'm trying it now and and it's barely a step up from mediocre. I was going to give it a 4 for taste but realized that for a wheat beer, it has little flavor. All the other characteristics are there, but when I see "unfiltered wheat beer" on the label, I want to feel as if I just did a face-plant in the middle of Kansas. No such luck here, Kemosabe.

10-10-2003 00:49:50 | More by 86MonteSS