UFO Hefeweizen - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

pDev: 15%
Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

UFO Hefeweizen is an American unfiltered wheat beer. Perhaps UFO’s initial sensory perception is also its most prominent: a cloudy golden color and a dense, frothy head. The yeast, which has not been filtered out, accounts for the cloudiness of UFO. Wheat malt tends to create a larger head than barley malt, the cereal grain most often used in brewing. When served in a traditional wheat beer glass with a lemon, UFO presents an appealing and distinctive visual image.

The aroma has a faint but clear citrus-like character. This is produced by the special yeast and accounts for the Bavarian tradition of serving hefeweizens with a lemon. The lemon accentuates the yeast’s fruity, tart fragrance. UFO has a soft mouthfeel and a refreshing, light body. The wheat malts and subtle hopping give the beer a mild, delicate flavor. UFO has a clean finish. Unlike some imported hefeweizens, UFO does not have the spicy, tropical flavors typical of European-brewed style.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazed honey-yellow color with quickly dissipating white head. Little head, little lace.

Big nutty yeast aroma. Cold, crisp wheat.

Strong, lasting carbonation makes this a crisp, refreshing beer. This almost dominates the flavor, but in the finish we get a flash of clean, wheaty sweetness. Definite banana and melon flavors here, and also some tangy yeast flavor. Good.

Not the most compelling beer I've had (but I'd like to try a good hefeweizen), but a good brew with some Il Panino pizza or Mexican. A solid local quaff.

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a straw-yellow with ahint orange around the edges. Nicely hazy with a 2 1/2" off-white head that drops fairly slowly to about 3/4" (about 3 minutes).
Smell is not really there, very light all over. What there is is light citrus (lemon) and spice notes with some hops and malt.
Taste is lemon, malt, hops and a very light spice.
A bit flatter than I expected with a pretty light body. Fairky clean finish with slight astringency. The hoppy aftertaste is mild. With so many other good wheats, I'd pick something else.

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

This beer pours with an exceptionally cloudy pale orange colour and a goodly amount of carbonation showing through. I expected more of a head, but it thins out fairly quickly. Strong smell of hops. It tastes rather fizzy and thin. A good touch of bitterness comes out as it warms, but I would say it’s a bit too little, too late. I suppose it’s perfectly drinkable and I can imagine it could be refreshing, but I would really expect more character from a wheat beer.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Serving:12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance:Unfiltered, cloudy, golden, with a thin head

Smell: an obvious strong wheat aroma

Mouthfeel: Refreshing, light, and a hint of fruit flavoring. Though I'm not sure which fruit.

Drinkability: This style in general is very drinkable, and this beer does not fail. A great beer for a summer afternoon.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz. bottle

Pours a hazy straw color with a white head that quickly fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma of faint malt and a slight hop aroma. A slight breadiness to the aroma. A very mild aroma.

Taste of malt and a slight breadiness that lingers into the aftertaste. A mild flavor.

Body is thin. Nothing special.

Pretty easy to drink, just nothing I would seek out. I suppose it would make for a good lawnmower beer. Unfortunately it's 20F outside, and the grass isn't growing.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

This is from the sampler case. I drank it in a goblet. Date clearly stamped on the case, and clearly inked on the bottle.

Pours a cloudy banana yellow with light orange tints. A 1/2 finger head of white foam forms on top, quickly falls to islands and a ring, with decent enough lacing. Would have liked to have seen a nicer head.

Aroma is decent banana and very light clove, despite the style descriptor saying these will not be found. I am also picking up some light citrus from the wheat, and some faint bread.

Flavor is a little thin and slightly sweet, with bananas coming through. Hop character is low. Wheat character is good. It's not that complex, but tasty nonetheless. Would like more banana and clove, but that's not the style profile. Aftertaste is sweet bananas, fairly short.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. Finish is oily and a little flat. Maybe more carbonation?

It's really not a bad beer, and it's on style. I find it slightly weak and a little thin, but it would be a good beer to introduce someone to wheat beer styles.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

This pours a yellow gold with a smallish head.The smell is a pretty fragrant wheat and floral smell.The taste is light crisp,and refreshing.I'm not a big fan of this type of beer,but this isn't too "wheatish".This has a nice balanced m/f and is very refreshing.This is a good beer and I will try this again.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

This is the last of the beers in a mixed 12 pack I bought last week to be reviewed. I always like unfiltered beers and I generally enjoy Hefes, even if it isn't really prime season for them anymore, hope UFO is up to the challenge.
Pours an unexciting, opaque, tannish yellow color, largely unadorned by head or other niceties. The nose is fresh and yeasty without much in the way of substance.
The banana and especially cloves are present but the wheat taste is uninspiring. The mouthfeel is a bit overcarbonated and a dry, cottonmouthy yeast aftertaste is not helping the cause either.
Well, at least I didn't pay $9.99 for a sixer of this at Uncle Guiseppe's like I was tempted. Drinkable but a subpar attempt at a Hefe; Franziskaner and Erdinger aren't exactly shaking in their boots I suspect.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would have rated this higher had I not had a really bad beer right before I started drinking these. I was in a small bar that suggested a Fischer (which is not very good) then went on to this. This beer goes down smooth, it has a crisp taste with a somewhat wheaty scent to it. I just read another comment about how good this would be on a hot day. I agree, it was night time and I was in a bar, but I could imagine drinking these right from the cooler on a hot day out on a boat.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

I'm found that I was judging this one quite a bit lower than others were, so on the off chance that I missed something on the first try, I gave this one a second shot.

Highs: Appearance
Lows: Weak flavor, yeast and alcohol detract

Pours the same attractive orange color with a head that fades a bit too quickly for me. Nose is primarily of wheat with perhaps some citrus there if you really dig for it—grapefruit? Flavor is still like a watered down hefeweizen. There’s little of the “grapefruit” or “banana” flavor many detect in this style. There is definitely some wheat and yeast, and on the second evaluation, there’s some alcohol that I didn’t notice before. Mouth is average: watery and flat; finish is again yeast and a little alcohol bite.

Overall: A subdued hefeweizen; not recommended.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a lovely cloudy yellow, thanks to swirling the last few ounces in the bottle. The head is very white and foamy and reduces to about a quarter-inch in my glass.

It smells slightly of wheat malt and yeast. None of the German wheat smells, but that's to be expected in this style.

The taste is above-average. It's a little light for my taste, so I dinged it a half-point. The bitterness is higher than I expected, though.

The body is fine, though nothing to write home about.

Overall this is a nicely drinkable beer. It's lower ABV makes having more than one easy.

Beautiful cloudy yelly opaque color of true hefe
Very thick frothy head
I enjoyed the UFO in a hefe glass.
this Hefe was crips and clean with a perfect finish.
The UFO goes down so smooth on a hot summer day you can polish off a six pack before you know it. I am a huge Hefe fan and the Harpoon UFO is deffinetely my favorite.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Sampled: 9.4.05 (with NO lemon slice)

A huge frothy head takes up practically a permanent residence. Below this white cloud, a visually impeded field of pale yellow straw. Mucho lacing.

The aroma is Euro-funk, both malty and tangy. Not really much else.

The taste is tart & tangy, lightly pointing to the wheaty malts. There’s an existing lemony zest here without even adding a slice like the logo suggests and how the only way my wife drinks it. It’s mild, but detectable with a few swishes over the palate. A bitter finish balances it out. The brew is very light in the mouth

Not overly exciting to say the least, but an easy drinker on a summer day. It seems to me that fruity beers (like blueberry, etc..not Lambics or other more profound offerings) and these Ameri-Hefes are like the gateway beer for women on the bubble. “Oh a slice of lemon in my beer? Sounds chic.” But if people like it, and want it that way, by all means…it’s just not for me. Not my favorite style, but I’ll forever support Harpoon’s endeavors.

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

This is one hefe that makes the case for adding a lemon slice, just like Corona with lime. Not very tasty unadorned. This beer has an unfortunate sourness and dryness which does not really fall well on the banana-clove spectrum for this style. Now I understand why Harpoon Brewing pushes the "UFO" brand in place of Harpoon for this one.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

This hefe pours a cloudy... hrm, how to describe the color. I'd wager that if you mixed apple cider and grapefruit juice, it might come out to be something like this beer. The smell is quite nice. The typical sharp, sweet wheat smell of a hefeweizen, with a hint of that unfiltered yeastiness.

The taste carries a subtle tang of sweetness, but lacks much depth to it. Not every sip, but occasionally I get a hint of a macrobrewery lagerish aftertaste. It specifically brings back the memories of smelling my dad's beer when I was a small child. This quality was much more prevalent in the last bottle of this beer that I drank - I'm getting much less of this from the bottle that I drink as I write this.

One thing that jumps out at me is the carbonation. When I let the beer sit on my tonge, I can feel the tiny bubbles dancing around in a way that I associate with pops rather than most of the beers that I drink.

Overall, a very decent hefeweizen. However, I don't see myself picking up a 6-pack again in the near future.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Quite a nice hefe. The best beer I've had from Harpoon. Going into this beer, I was of the feeling that Harpoon beers are overrated. This beer has saved them for me. Pours a nice hazy yellow color, slightly tinged a burnt orange. Smell is sweet and yeasty. Flavor is well balanced with malt and hops. Could perhaps use a BIT more hop bitterness as this beer has a candi-ish flavor profile. A bit of orange-vanilla flavor, and maybe a bit of bannana. More complex than I would have thought. Not too yeasty or sour, however -- two characteristics I prefer in a hefe.

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Looks very nice. Unfiltered and they mean it ... so cloudy I can't see through at all, a beautiful gold color with orange in the center and yellow at the edges. Pours with a solid if unremarkable head and retains a little bit throughout.

Smells of wheat with adjunct notes, mostly corn. Even at 5.1% I get a hint of alcohol as it warms.

The taste benefits from the unfiltered characteristics. Definitely wheat, some hops on the end, okay for a pale ale. Maybe a little more going on here. Still, nothing to write home about.

Mouthfeel is nice, carbonation is solid but not too strong and adds to the quenching ability of this beer.

Goes down easily, I could drink a few more of these, although it's not interesting enough to be beer that I think about. Not bad, not good, just okay.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured with a great, fluffy, sticky head.
Hardly any odor at all to be found in this one.
Has a mild, wheaty taste... perhaps a bit too mild leaning towards boring. Dry but not exactly crisp... the wheatyness sort of sticks to the tongue.
The mild and boring makes this very easy to drink; probably a good choice for sitting around and watching sports, or to bring to a party... that sort of thing.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears a hazy gold with a 2 finger white head that quickly fades. Leaves tiny lacings on the glass.
Smell is of lemon zest and crisp wheat with a touch of clove, vanilla, and sulfur...certainly not a true Hefe though.
Taste is of a typical American wheat brew with a dry citrus taste.
Mouthfeel is a light body of wheat and citrus tingling throughout the tongue.
Drinkability is ok but only if there's nothing else in the fridge.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy light golden color with a thich white pillowy head. Good retention, and a little bit of lace on the glass. Not much on aroma, very pale, maybe a bit of earthy, floral hops. Very pale, slightly tart, astringent and husky. No banana flavors that you wouold find in a German. Decent amount of bitterness. Light bodied, high carbonation. Not as drinkable or thirst-quenching as a German. Overall, pretty much average.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle with no freshness date. Poured this one very slow and it came out with no head. No lace all the way to the bottom. The color is a pale orange that is cloudy and bubbly. It looks like a citrus punch.

The aroma is kind of weak, but smells buttery and slightly fruity. The taste is grassy, but nicely carbonated. It is a bit citrusy too, but kind of bland in the mouthfeel. This one is mildly refreshing on a hot day, but nothing spectacular.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pale golden colors, very little head, a tiny amount of lacing around the glass. Hazy. Smell is very subtle- citrus and subtle. Taste is citrusy, orange, berries, lemon. Wheaty. Slightly floraly as well. Light, very light.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery, slightly bubbly, again, light. Quite drinkable- could drink a lot of these. But the flavor is lacking for me- just not enough there. Still, a good summer beer.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Paid $1.59 for a 12 oz. bottle. Only slightly hazy with a deep yellow color, and a bit of orange. Orange in the nose, along with some other fruit that I can't quite pick out - strawberry?!? malt is nice as are the hops, though not as aromatic as I would like. Wheat present, but not overpowering. Fairly fizzy, almost like a US macro, but it plays well on this beer. maybe slightly watery.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a slightly cloudy,pale golden color. Very "clean" looking for an unfiltered wheat beer. Low aroma-trace of malt and some banana and phenolic esters but its very low. I was expecting more. Almost just says "beer". Ok flavor-a slightly sweet malt with a whisper of the spiciness and other flavors youd expect in a wheat. Decent enough body. Actually I find this very drinkable but Im not a huge wheat beer fan. I miss some of the characteristics of the wheat beers. I like them subdued but this is weak. Good for ME but probably not what YOUD expect.

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

On tap at the Harpoon Taproom at Logan Airport

Pours a bright golden yellow, hazy as hell with a snow white head and sheets of lacing. Smells of spice (clove) lemony and light rip banana.

Taste loses the spice and banana and just comes out all wrong. Sour wheat malt, lemons, some light spice and just an unpleasant bitter finish. Mouth is crisp and light. Not great. Another subpar American wheat.

UFO Hefeweizen from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall