Harpoon Chocolate Stout - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Brad007 on 10-24-2008

Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up recently up in Totowa since this was available via the single bottle there. I've had many of Harpoon's offerings and given that I love Stouts during the colder months, I figured that I'd give this a go. As other reviewers have stated on here, this was weak and not one of the better examples of the style that they've had and that's how I felt as well. It was not a drain pour but I like my dark beers to be thick and strong, and this was neither of those unfortunately.

Typical dark pour to this with a tan head that lasted for a little while before quickly settling down. Only a few rings of lacing could be seen on the back of the pint glass and there carbonation was a bit too high in this, even if I wasn't able to see it. Lots of chocolate malt that couldn't be detected in the aroma but was certainly there in the taste, to go with a somewhat creamy mouthfeel and some powder that made this feel just a bit gritty in the taste. The body was weak and this went down way, way too easily as it it was a flat cream soda. A bit of bitter chocolate remained in the aftertaste along with some hints of vanilla extract but there wasn't much else here in terms of a flavor profile.

A Stout as a session beer? That's nearly what this was as it felt weak and I couldn't taste or detect the alcohol when I finally made my way through this. Some dark fruits, booze, and maybe another chocolate malt would have taken this up another level and with offerings like the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout still on the shelf, why reach for this? It's only a go if you plan on downing a few at a time to go with your dessert of the moment.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.24/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.79/5  rDev -23.4%

Worst chocolate stout I've ever had.

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%

2.71/5  rDev -25.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Savor snifter. Enjoy by 3/15/15 on bottle.

Pours black with a half finger of foam. Looks to be fairly thin bodied. Aroma is full of artificial chocolate and not much else. Sickly sweet aroma.

First sip is a rush of fake chocolate sweetness, with a thin body. This is not a nice, malty, sweet flavor... rather more like Starbucks coffee syrup. I really dislike this beer, and this is the third time I've tried it before reviewing it.

3.31/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev +8%

3.42/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not too sweet, not too bitter. For a stout it has a little too much carbonation for my liking. Overall a very drinkable beer

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.24/5  rDev -38.5%

Pours dark chocolate color with little to no head. Nose is heavy in chocolate, cocoa like. Taste pretty much follows suit. It does meet the requirements for the style, but personally I can't drink more than one of these. Somebody left a six pack of this at my house, it's not a beer I would ever seek out and buy. I personally don't understand why somebody would want their beer to taste like chocolate - that's why there's cocoa. I could see it if there was a hint of chocolate, but this one is way over the top with the chocolate. It is what it purports to be and meets the style guidelines but I really don't like it and find it somewhat of a chore to drink.

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was surprised at how good of a job harpoon did with this chocolate stout. Hate to say, but I expected mediocrity, and at $1.49 a bottle from total wine, how would you not? Pours thick, dark brown to black. Med to heavy body, coating the mouth with each sip. Nice chocolate taste, not too overwhelming, my only issue is an odd lingering aftertaste. Well done though, harpoon!

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark brown with a tan head.

Smells like beer and hot cocoa.

Tastes very chocolatey and sweet.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy like a milk chocolate.

All in all, this beer is pretty much what it sets out to be and is a really great dessert beer.

4.51/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I drink a lot of beer. This is my very favorite chocolate stout!

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This sentence exists because I have to rationalize my opinion.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

I wrote a review for this Chocolate Stout on my blog, Bill's Beer Report.

It was a very good beer. I had it as part of a mixer sixer and want to try it again.

Harpoon Chocolate Stout from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall