Harpoon Chocolate Stout - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Brad007 on 10-24-2008

Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.

1.42/5  rDev -60.4%

Best by 02/15/11 on bottle. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours black with a good sized light brown head. Ends up being a 1/2 finger head that leaves decent lacing.

Nose is chocolate syrup, artificial, and smells like a good amount has been added. Really not much else. I thought I may have detected some sweet malt but the chocolate is overpowering when I actually look for the malt.

The taste follows the nose. Bland malt flavors really quick at the beginning then the chocolate flavor takes over. Too sweet and sugary. It almost seems like it has been added after the fact. Probably not a fair statement seeing that I don't even know how one would do that or why I feel that way but for some reason this brew makes me think that.

Low carbonation with a thin, watery mouthfeel. I'm not sure I've ever had a porter this thing, never mind a stout.

Drinkability is very low. The chocolate flavor is unpleasant.

Low carbonation (941 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Poured into a tulip glass... head disappeared right away. Nice rich color tho...

S- Smells like chocolate body wash... big coffee nose if you breathe in really deeply.

T- Tastes like they aged this one on chocolate wrappers and Sanka... metallic, and fake tasting. Tastes like Axe body spray smells...

M- Watery and flacid... the flavors that you think might open up as this beer warms... only get weaker and more rancid. Aftertaste of chocolate twizzlers.

D- I love and live for stouts... this is not one of them... It's like Manhatten coffee soda meets really shitty beer... so disapointed! (601 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -50.1%

I just bought a Harpoon variety pack, this was the first one I decided to try.

Color: Black with a milk chocolate head, low retention, slightly lacy.

Aroma: Holy Cow it smells just like chocolate!

Taste: thin at first, light mouthfeel leading into a moderate amount of carbonation. Chocolate flavor throughout with just a touch of smokeyness. Almost liquor like. Esters of alcohol toward the end with a wet finish.

Overall: To be honest I wouldn't go out of my way for this. The chocolate flavor seems like a processed liquid extract and not very pleasant. I feel like I'm taking a sip of some watered down liquor. Not my favorite. (635 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

Bud Light mixed with NESQUICK. Also on the bottle stating "Ale with """NATURAL""" chocolate flavor. Anything that says natural is not quite natural. Limited Edition... thank christ. It's a good thing this beer was free because if I would have spent money on it i would spit it in the closes face near me. (304 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Looks good, smells like Hershey's syrup. Very heavy chocolate smell with just a faint malt smell in the background. Bitterness and chocolate taste right off the bat. Middle has a weird metallic off-chocolate taste. Not much finish. Not a whole lot of body.

The chocolate in this beer tastes very artificial and does not meld well with the malt. Bottle says there is "chocolate flavor" added, whatever the hell that means. I think the metallic taste is from the chocolate flavoring, not very sweet for a chocolate stout. Overall, i wouldn't recommend it. (554 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -48.7%

This beer poured out dark brown with a finger of brownish head, which took a minute or two to disappear. It smells like burnt chocolate to me. The taste was of old cheap chocolate, like one of the bars you buy from students gone bad. It was watery in my mouth though the taste kept most of my thoughts away from thinking about this. The drinkability was that I chose to finish one and then try a second one , which I proceeded to pour down the drain after one sip. I usually like harpoon, but this one will never be tried again. (528 characters)

what is about this beer how could you screw up a chocalate stout as someone said it it a dessert stout wtf what that wreid taste in there . really you blew this with a funky taste that taste like a after dinner mint , how can you mess this up but you did sad (258 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

Review from notes:

Appears a dark brown color that is slightly see through when held to the light.

Smells of roasted barley, light coffee, not too much chocolate on the nose.

Taste is a bit too mellow. Can't really pull out the chocolate. More of just a roasty taste.

Mouthfeel is too thin for the style.

Overall a disappointment. (337 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -40.9%

I had high hopes for this beer, mostly because I bought it when my hair was still blonde and I failed to notice that the label says "chocolate flavor". It would have been more honest of them to say "chocolate" flavor, or "chocolate-ish" flavor, because it tastes like they dumped generic chocolate syrup in the vats. Ugh.

It looks great when you pour it- dark and gorgeous, with some lingering head (we all like lingering head, no?), but as soon as I lifted the glass to my nose I knew I was in trouble. If this beer were a guy, he would have gotten a peck on the cheek as I leapt from his car in front of a house down the block from where I actually live.

Alas, this beer is not a guy, and therefore I not only paid for it but I brought it home immediately.The flavor is a major disappointment. While good chocolate stouts have a nice roasty/toasty/malty thing going on and will sometimes use actual chocolate, this one has none of that complexity.

This beer does have the right body. If you hold your nose it's like drinking a Young's. Sadly, it tastes like a straight up ale with cheap chocolate syrup added. Not only that, but the bad taste lingers. And lingers. And lingers. Like the creepy dude who was with the dude that your roommate just went to the bathroom to make out with. Seriously not recommended. (1,318 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -39%

Poured from a bottle a goblet..

A- Black,dark with a tanish hea.

S- Chocolate,roast, malt and smoke.

T- At first I liked the taste. It had a roasted chocolate taste, but as the brew warmed, I started liking it less an less. It became a fake smoky taste that didn't leave a very pleasant aftertaste. I'm thinking the alcohol esters are taking over. There is some metallic taste going on also...

M- A medium thickness and smoothness.

D- I'm having trouble finishing this one, so I don't think much of it's drinkability. (522 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -39%

Got a couple of bottles in the winter 12 pack a while ago, and stashed these in the beer cellar. Cracked them open last night. Poured into pint glasses. Dark black color. Large fluffy head, almost looked like root beer suds. Smelled a lot like stale baker's chocolate. Taste? What a disappointment. Did the brewer's even try this before releasing it? Have they ever tried another brewery's version of a chocolate stout? Apparently not. I am not saying they should mimic other brands, but at least they'd see how inferior it ended up and maybe tweek the recipe. Tasted like processed Hershey's syrup. No body at all, thin and watery. Only the second time ever I considered a drain pour. But the first time I told myself that I would never buy this particular Harpoon beer again. (777 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for giving me a bottle of this to review after I drank a bottle and complained about it

Consumed 1/23/13

Appearance: Dark brown with a small, light tan head - fades quickly to virtually nothing, leaves a tiny ring, a few spots of lacing

Smell: Doesn't particularly smell like beer, smells more like someone tried to dissolve some tootsie rolls in vodka - overall, it smells like a cheap, chocolate liqueur - oddly artificial aroma, like an artificial chocolate syrup - sweet and sugary - some dark malts, some roast in the background

Taste: Slightly more pleasant than the aroma - artificial chocolate syrup - sweet and sugary - kind of tastes like I would imagine imitation Tootsie Rolls taste like (if there is such a thing) - a strange alcohol flavor that cannot be explained by the ABV - some roast in the background, minimal bitterness, mostly just sweet

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of thin, slick, minimal carbonation, sticky in a strange way

Overall: A great example of how not to make a chocolate stout

As I mentioned above, this kind of tastes like a watered-down chocolate liqueur with some overly sweet Tootsie Roll extract syrup. It's not the worst beer I've ever tasted (far from it), and it's not the worst thing I've ever tasted from Harpoon (I'm looking at you, Golden Wizard), but it's remarkably not good. (1,357 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours like dark muddy pond water that isn't that appealing. No head at all, dark and flat, cant see through it

S - Sweet roasted malts

T - Artificial toasty sweetness and the chocolate tastes like bad yoo-hoo, bitter

M - Feels flat, nothing there

O - Pass on this one (307 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours dark chocolate color with little to no head. Nose is heavy in chocolate, cocoa like. Taste pretty much follows suit. It does meet the requirements for the style, but personally I can't drink more than one of these. Somebody left a six pack of this at my house, it's not a beer I would ever seek out and buy. I personally don't understand why somebody would want their beer to taste like chocolate - that's why there's cocoa. I could see it if there was a hint of chocolate, but this one is way over the top with the chocolate. It is what it purports to be and meets the style guidelines but I really don't like it and find it somewhat of a chore to drink. (661 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams tasting glass. Boy was really looking forward to this. The beers appearance is great, deep black with some mahogany highlights as it pours with a dense creamy dark brown tightly beaded head.

The aroma is deep dark roasted grain, bittersweet chocolate, fudge, fresh crushed dark roast coffee beans and cooled espresso. Don't know if it was the hops or an off shoot of fermentation but their is an orange like fruity character that goes between fresh orange rind and the the fake sugar coated orange slice candy. The aroma profile is less inviting as it warms and you take some sips.

This is where the fun ends for this beer. The flavor is just intensely chemical and extract twang chocolate additive flavoring. There is not much more I can add that would be positive. I can only hope this beer mellows with sometime in the bottle but it is one of the few drain pours I have come across.

So much promise, but beyond looks and some good aromatics this beer just is not a keeper. (1,017 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours to a nice light brown colored head which slowly dissipates to a ring around the edges of the glass. I'm on the fence about this. I both like it and dislike it. Upon a sip, it's definitely too thin bodied, almost watered down. There's a slight roasty quality which I like and I like the milky chocolaty flavors as well. But they all seem so flat for some reason. There's also a dry mouthfeel after a few sips that's displeasing. It was a nice attempt, and I would drink a sixer if it was given to me, but I feel it needs some more work.

~Jonathan Passow (559 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -31.8%

This is part of a very diverse winter '08-'09 twelve pack that includes an old Harpoon favorite of mine, the Munich-type Dark ale. I had this one last time I was in the Boston brewery, direct from the tasting room. The pack also includes UFO, winter Warmer and IPA.

This one pours into my Otter Creek World Tour Imperial pint glass looking like an opaque black color, but a tiny bit of light is popping through as a deep ruby amber color. The head is an active tan color that dissipates rather fast for a stout, a bit too much carbonation perhaps is keeping this one from forming a solid crown.

The aroma is a very bold chocolate liquer scent with Swiss miss choclate cocao and vanilla. The heat from the alcohol is a bit sharp on the nose which creates a very intense liquer-like scent. This chocolate scent overpowers everything else.

The flavor is exactly the same as the aroma, it's a cloying, syruppy chocolate liquer with hot cocoa mix and a sharp, heagt that really makes this one taste like a chocolate-infused vodka drink with Hershey's syruppy poured in it. The chocolate effect is way too much with little else to balance this one out...besides the alcohol heat, which is way to sharp fpr 6 + % abv.

The feels is a bit too thin and active for my palate, it's really only this side of medium bodied, and it finishes rather lifeless and slick.

I was very dissapointed in this brew, it comes in a rather exciting twelve pack, but alas, it was my least favorite. (1,481 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into a guiness glass

Smell is pretty weak, some light brown sugar sweetness maybe and a touch of roastiness.

Taste is along the same lines, very weak, watered down, sweet roasty flavors but accented by a pretty unappealing hersheys milk chocolate flavor. A dull roasted astringency.

Mouth is ok, a little thin- maybe even a lot thin- but its not the biggest problem here. This beer is just kinda gross all around. The worst chocolate stout I've had by far and extremely disappointing. Drain pour. (506 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Perfectly clear dark brown. Head is minimal bordering on non-existent. Pours a touch thin. Carbonation looks to be on point. Depth of color leaves a little lacking.

Smell: Loads of chocolate. Lots of sweet milk chocolate aromas come over a mild roasted malt character. Almost smells like a liqueur at times. Very sweet. Some licorice and anise. Chocolate syrup and some biscuity malts too. Did I mention it smells like chocolate syrup.

Taste: Lacks almost all of the sweetness from the nose. Tastes like a malted Tootsie Roll. Some roasted malts accompnany a subdued toasted chocolate note. Faintly grassy with a hint of smoke on the back. Licorice lingers and then fades in equal measure. As it warms some of the perceived sweetness comes out.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thin for the style. Carbonation is on point. A little dry.

Overall: Eh. It's got some interesting flavor and might be worth one try, but it doesn't really extend beyond that. Flavors lack depth and complexity. (992 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Pours an attractive black, with a light tan..almost fluffy head.

S - Definitely can smell the chocolate, and little else, but not totally overpowering

T - This is where I got lost with this beer. All I get is hershey's syrup. No other malts, flavors, or even any hops.

M - Like most chocolate stouts, slightly creamy with medium carbonation.

D - I will finish tihs one. (377 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

I picked up several different Harpoon brews as part of a mixed six pack from my favorite beer mart. The label reflected Chocolate Stout but had no ABV listed.

Poured into a pint bar g;ass from a 12 oz bottle almost black with two fingers of thick brownish head that dissipated rapidly.

Had good aromas of coffee with a hint of chocolate.

Unfortunately the flavor profile left me cold. Had an almost resinous taste with hints of bitter malts and chocolate.

This beer lacks flavors and any real body that one must associate with this style. Had a very weak finish with low carbonation and no real aftertaste. Overall not a good experience. Just to make sure this was not a skunked bottle I had another before I wrote this review and had the same experience. (759 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -27.3%

The folks at Harpoon have left little to the imagination with this brew. Indeed, when the bottle says chocolate it really means chocolate. Indeed, I truly feel like I just drank watery chocolate milk with a dash of Ovaltine. If you like your beer like commercial hip hop - which is to say with little subtlety and less craft, then this is the beer for you.
The pour is great, the smell is striking and the taste is somewhere between a smore and zinc lozenge. Happy Holidays! (475 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz box I got out of the Winter Mix pack of Harpoon's. There mix packs are typically a good time at a good price. Was happy to see this was a new Harpoon brew in the box. Served up in a pint glass.

A: Not bad looking at all. Pours a dark brown in color that builds a seemingly black body. Held to the light, you can see the browns and reds coming through but this is dark and opaque. The head builds a little over a finger of mocha colored foam. It falls pretty quickly though, down to a thin top cap that lingers through the drinking experience. No lace to speak of.

S: Smell is thin and really translates as chocolate milk made with Hershey's syrup. Has that artificial smell, but is creamy and milky. Chocolate is all milk chocolate. Other than that, nothing really to speak of.

T: About the same as the nose. The taste brings me back to my youth . . . but not in a good way. It reminds me of when I was young and craving chocolate milk. Looked in the fridge, and there is plenty of ice cold milk. I pour a tall glass and reach for the chocolate milk powder or syrup. Once I pick it up, I know it almost empty. With hope, I made it anyway by salvaging all that was left. Sadly, I on first sip, I know it wasn't enough because I am just getting milk with just a faint hint of chocolate. That is exactly how this tastes. I mean there is a little bit of roasted malt and alcohol coming across, but this is all chocolate milk without enough chocolate.

M: Thin . . . almost watery. Its the lightest side of medium you can get. Just too thin for a stout, doesn't have any size or weight to it at all. Low carbonation which is nice, but doesn't make this feel any bigger. No alcohol to speak of as far as feel. Aftertaste is all meh chocolate milk.

D: This isn't the best offering I have had from Harpoon. Pretty much everything I have had from them was a good representation of whatever style with mediocre or better flavors and aroma. Not so much here. Its just way off on flavor, feel and aroma. Just a disappointment to me. You can drink it, but prepare to be let down.

Serving Type: 12oz Bottle Vessel Type: Pint Glass Price:NA (2,139 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -24.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Savor snifter. Enjoy by 3/15/15 on bottle.

Pours black with a half finger of foam. Looks to be fairly thin bodied. Aroma is full of artificial chocolate and not much else. Sickly sweet aroma.

First sip is a rush of fake chocolate sweetness, with a thin body. This is not a nice, malty, sweet flavor... rather more like Starbucks coffee syrup. I really dislike this beer, and this is the third time I've tried it before reviewing it. (470 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Got an e-mail from my local package store about this one now available in limited supply so I unfortunately assumed it must be good if it's in limited supply, right? Not. I'm a big fan of this style but this one misses the mark. The nose smells of burnt chocolate, licorice or something. Alcohol also in the aroma but not once you taste it. I want to like it but just can't. Must be the fake chocolate or licorice I can't get by. Not a drain pour but I'm forcing the last five. (477 characters)

Harpoon Chocolate Stout from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall