Harpoon Chocolate Stout - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 10-24-2008)

1.35/5  rDev -62.8%

Best by 02/15/11 on bottle. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours black with a good sized light brown head. Ends up being a 1/2 finger head that leaves decent lacing.

Nose is chocolate syrup, artificial, and smells like a good amount has been added. Really not much else. I thought I may have detected some sweet malt but the chocolate is overpowering when I actually look for the malt.

The taste follows the nose. Bland malt flavors really quick at the beginning then the chocolate flavor takes over. Too sweet and sugary. It almost seems like it has been added after the fact. Probably not a fair statement seeing that I don't even know how one would do that or why I feel that way but for some reason this brew makes me think that.

Low carbonation with a thin, watery mouthfeel. I'm not sure I've ever had a porter this thing, never mind a stout.

Drinkability is very low. The chocolate flavor is unpleasant.

Low carbonation

1.65/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Poured into a tulip glass... head disappeared right away. Nice rich color tho...

S- Smells like chocolate body wash... big coffee nose if you breathe in really deeply.

T- Tastes like they aged this one on chocolate wrappers and Sanka... metallic, and fake tasting. Tastes like Axe body spray smells...

M- Watery and flacid... the flavors that you think might open up as this beer warms... only get weaker and more rancid. Aftertaste of chocolate twizzlers.

D- I love and live for stouts... this is not one of them... It's like Manhatten coffee soda meets really shitty beer... so disapointed!

1.7/5  rDev -53.2%

Bud Light mixed with NESQUICK. Also on the bottle stating "Ale with """NATURAL""" chocolate flavor. Anything that says natural is not quite natural. Limited Edition... thank christ. It's a good thing this beer was free because if I would have spent money on it i would spit it in the closes face near me.

1.73/5  rDev -52.3%

I just bought a Harpoon variety pack, this was the first one I decided to try.

Color: Black with a milk chocolate head, low retention, slightly lacy.

Aroma: Holy Cow it smells just like chocolate!

Taste: thin at first, light mouthfeel leading into a moderate amount of carbonation. Chocolate flavor throughout with just a touch of smokeyness. Almost liquor like. Esters of alcohol toward the end with a wet finish.

Overall: To be honest I wouldn't go out of my way for this. The chocolate flavor seems like a processed liquid extract and not very pleasant. I feel like I'm taking a sip of some watered down liquor. Not my favorite.

1.75/5  rDev -51.8%

1.8/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Looks good, smells like Hershey's syrup. Very heavy chocolate smell with just a faint malt smell in the background. Bitterness and chocolate taste right off the bat. Middle has a weird metallic off-chocolate taste. Not much finish. Not a whole lot of body.

The chocolate in this beer tastes very artificial and does not meld well with the malt. Bottle says there is "chocolate flavor" added, whatever the hell that means. I think the metallic taste is from the chocolate flavoring, not very sweet for a chocolate stout. Overall, i wouldn't recommend it.

1.8/5  rDev -50.4%

This beer poured out dark brown with a finger of brownish head, which took a minute or two to disappear. It smells like burnt chocolate to me. The taste was of old cheap chocolate, like one of the bars you buy from students gone bad. It was watery in my mouth though the taste kept most of my thoughts away from thinking about this. The drinkability was that I chose to finish one and then try a second one , which I proceeded to pour down the drain after one sip. I usually like harpoon, but this one will never be tried again.

1.9/5  rDev -47.7%

what is about this beer how could you screw up a chocalate stout as someone said it it a dessert stout wtf what that wreid taste in there . really you blew this with a funky taste that taste like a after dinner mint , how can you mess this up but you did sad

2.08/5  rDev -42.7%

Review from notes:

Appears a dark brown color that is slightly see through when held to the light.

Smells of roasted barley, light coffee, not too much chocolate on the nose.

Taste is a bit too mellow. Can't really pull out the chocolate. More of just a roasty taste.

Mouthfeel is too thin for the style.

Overall a disappointment.

2.1/5  rDev -42.1%

I had high hopes for this beer, mostly because I bought it when my hair was still blonde and I failed to notice that the label says "chocolate flavor". It would have been more honest of them to say "chocolate" flavor, or "chocolate-ish" flavor, because it tastes like they dumped generic chocolate syrup in the vats. Ugh.

It looks great when you pour it- dark and gorgeous, with some lingering head (we all like lingering head, no?), but as soon as I lifted the glass to my nose I knew I was in trouble. If this beer were a guy, he would have gotten a peck on the cheek as I leapt from his car in front of a house down the block from where I actually live.

Alas, this beer is not a guy, and therefore I not only paid for it but I brought it home immediately.The flavor is a major disappointment. While good chocolate stouts have a nice roasty/toasty/malty thing going on and will sometimes use actual chocolate, this one has none of that complexity.

This beer does have the right body. If you hold your nose it's like drinking a Young's. Sadly, it tastes like a straight up ale with cheap chocolate syrup added. Not only that, but the bad taste lingers. And lingers. And lingers. Like the creepy dude who was with the dude that your roommate just went to the bathroom to make out with. Seriously not recommended.

2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams tasting glass. Boy was really looking forward to this. The beers appearance is great, deep black with some mahogany highlights as it pours with a dense creamy dark brown tightly beaded head.

The aroma is deep dark roasted grain, bittersweet chocolate, fudge, fresh crushed dark roast coffee beans and cooled espresso. Don't know if it was the hops or an off shoot of fermentation but their is an orange like fruity character that goes between fresh orange rind and the the fake sugar coated orange slice candy. The aroma profile is less inviting as it warms and you take some sips.

This is where the fun ends for this beer. The flavor is just intensely chemical and extract twang chocolate additive flavoring. There is not much more I can add that would be positive. I can only hope this beer mellows with sometime in the bottle but it is one of the few drain pours I have come across.

So much promise, but beyond looks and some good aromatics this beer just is not a keeper.

2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured from a bottle a goblet..

A- Black,dark with a tanish hea.

S- Chocolate,roast, malt and smoke.

T- At first I liked the taste. It had a roasted chocolate taste, but as the brew warmed, I started liking it less an less. It became a fake smoky taste that didn't leave a very pleasant aftertaste. I'm thinking the alcohol esters are taking over. There is some metallic taste going on also...

M- A medium thickness and smoothness.

D- I'm having trouble finishing this one, so I don't think much of it's drinkability.

2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

Got a couple of bottles in the winter 12 pack a while ago, and stashed these in the beer cellar. Cracked them open last night. Poured into pint glasses. Dark black color. Large fluffy head, almost looked like root beer suds. Smelled a lot like stale baker's chocolate. Taste? What a disappointment. Did the brewer's even try this before releasing it? Have they ever tried another brewery's version of a chocolate stout? Apparently not. I am not saying they should mimic other brands, but at least they'd see how inferior it ended up and maybe tweek the recipe. Tasted like processed Hershey's syrup. No body at all, thin and watery. Only the second time ever I considered a drain pour. But the first time I told myself that I would never buy this particular Harpoon beer again.

2.18/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours like dark muddy pond water that isn't that appealing. No head at all, dark and flat, cant see through it

S - Sweet roasted malts

T - Artificial toasty sweetness and the chocolate tastes like bad yoo-hoo, bitter

M - Feels flat, nothing there

O - Pass on this one

2.25/5  rDev -38%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for giving me a bottle of this to review after I drank a bottle and complained about it

Consumed 1/23/13

Appearance: Dark brown with a small, light tan head - fades quickly to virtually nothing, leaves a tiny ring, a few spots of lacing

Smell: Doesn't particularly smell like beer, smells more like someone tried to dissolve some tootsie rolls in vodka - overall, it smells like a cheap, chocolate liqueur - oddly artificial aroma, like an artificial chocolate syrup - sweet and sugary - some dark malts, some roast in the background

Taste: Slightly more pleasant than the aroma - artificial chocolate syrup - sweet and sugary - kind of tastes like I would imagine imitation Tootsie Rolls taste like (if there is such a thing) - a strange alcohol flavor that cannot be explained by the ABV - some roast in the background, minimal bitterness, mostly just sweet

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of thin, slick, minimal carbonation, sticky in a strange way

Overall: A great example of how not to make a chocolate stout

As I mentioned above, this kind of tastes like a watered-down chocolate liqueur with some overly sweet Tootsie Roll extract syrup. It's not the worst beer I've ever tasted (far from it), and it's not the worst thing I've ever tasted from Harpoon (I'm looking at you, Golden Wizard), but it's remarkably not good.

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours to a nice light brown colored head which slowly dissipates to a ring around the edges of the glass. I'm on the fence about this. I both like it and dislike it. Upon a sip, it's definitely too thin bodied, almost watered down. There's a slight roasty quality which I like and I like the milky chocolaty flavors as well. But they all seem so flat for some reason. There's also a dry mouthfeel after a few sips that's displeasing. It was a nice attempt, and I would drink a sixer if it was given to me, but I feel it needs some more work.

~Jonathan Passow