Harpoon Chocolate Stout - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 10-24-2008)
4.2/5  rDev +16%

A - nigh impenetrable black in color, with a finger of dark tan head sitting atop

S - rich milk chocolate aromas hit me first, alos a lactic/coffee aroma, i would liken it to coffee ice cream

T - the coffee becomes more dominant in the taste than in the aroma, still a sweeter, milked coffee like coffee ice cream, some roasted malty nuttiness in there as well, it combines with the coffee for a rich hazelnut aroma, this is quite tasty

M&D - thinner than i expected, not quite as thin as a irish dry stout, but not think, chewy or syrupy, makes for great sessioning, spot on and quality flavors make this a nice 6pack for a xmas party this year, well done Harpoon, makes this a yearly release

sinstaineddemon, Dec 03, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle from the Harpoon Seasonal Mix 12 pack.

Appearance: Dark, Dark, Dark with a good 2 finger mocha head and a good lace on the side of the glass.

Smell: Strong chocolate smell. No doubt what you're about to drink.

Taste: Somewhat disappointing after the strong aroma as the chocolate taste tends to overwhelm the rest of the ingredients.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat metallic almost with a strong aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not the best chocolate stout I've had. A little watery and just too much chocolate. I like a hint of chocolate not a Hershey bar in my beer.

tvljr, Nov 25, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a solid dark brown with the faintest of ruby highlights and a 3 finger mocha head that dissipates but never really leaves. Tons of lace impales itself on the glass. I could smell chocolate as soon as I popped the cap on this one. Fresh ground coffee, milk chocolate, chocolate syrup, and some brown sugar and toffee round out the nose. Taste is mostly chocolate syrup, and seems artificial. Brown sugar toffee and butter round out the taste. Leaves a lingering bitter chocolate taste in the finish. Creamy mouthfeel, medium body, light carbonation. I liked this one a bit. I could see myself drinking a few of these, but the artificial chocolate twang is definitely a turn off.

johnnnniee, Nov 25, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams tasting glass. Boy was really looking forward to this. The beers appearance is great, deep black with some mahogany highlights as it pours with a dense creamy dark brown tightly beaded head.

The aroma is deep dark roasted grain, bittersweet chocolate, fudge, fresh crushed dark roast coffee beans and cooled espresso. Don't know if it was the hops or an off shoot of fermentation but their is an orange like fruity character that goes between fresh orange rind and the the fake sugar coated orange slice candy. The aroma profile is less inviting as it warms and you take some sips.

This is where the fun ends for this beer. The flavor is just intensely chemical and extract twang chocolate additive flavoring. There is not much more I can add that would be positive. I can only hope this beer mellows with sometime in the bottle but it is one of the few drain pours I have come across.

So much promise, but beyond looks and some good aromatics this beer just is not a keeper.

PBoegel, Nov 24, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -42%

I had high hopes for this beer, mostly because I bought it when my hair was still blonde and I failed to notice that the label says "chocolate flavor". It would have been more honest of them to say "chocolate" flavor, or "chocolate-ish" flavor, because it tastes like they dumped generic chocolate syrup in the vats. Ugh.

It looks great when you pour it- dark and gorgeous, with some lingering head (we all like lingering head, no?), but as soon as I lifted the glass to my nose I knew I was in trouble. If this beer were a guy, he would have gotten a peck on the cheek as I leapt from his car in front of a house down the block from where I actually live.

Alas, this beer is not a guy, and therefore I not only paid for it but I brought it home immediately.The flavor is a major disappointment. While good chocolate stouts have a nice roasty/toasty/malty thing going on and will sometimes use actual chocolate, this one has none of that complexity.

This beer does have the right body. If you hold your nose it's like drinking a Young's. Sadly, it tastes like a straight up ale with cheap chocolate syrup added. Not only that, but the bad taste lingers. And lingers. And lingers. Like the creepy dude who was with the dude that your roommate just went to the bathroom to make out with. Seriously not recommended.

VTbeerbroad, Nov 24, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Pitch black hue for the body with a nice full thick mocha tan head, nice even lacing between sips. Aroma dark malts herbal hops with a touch of cocoa powder. Flavor is sickengly straight forward with cocoa powder additions, I feel like I took a spoonful of Hershey's cocoa powder. Creamy milk finish with that cocoa dominance no real hop tones. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a sturdy carbonation level no overdone. Drinkability is solid a bit too dessert for my likings but if cocoa powder is your thing this beer gives it up.

WVbeergeek, Nov 23, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

A-deep black color, two full fingers of a thick dark caramel brown head, lingers for a good bit, leaves a little lace on the glass

S-big roasted chocolate malt, living up to the name

T/M-the full smell is not followed with big flavor. there is some roasted malt taste and some dark chocolate but the beer is very light bodied, almost watered down. Very thin, it is smooth; but just way too light.

D-not something I would like to drink often, it smelled pretty nice; but it +'s end there.

cpetrone84, Nov 21, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Pours a typical stout black with a tan foamy head, quickly fading to leave some lace on the glass.

S: Noticeable dark chocolate aroma, and a strong roasted malt scent

T: Roasted character provides a somewhat harsh bitterness. Chocolate flavors are almost overdone on this one, but they don't completely ruin it.

M: Kind of a disappointment here. Just doesn't have the body you would expect from a stout like this.

D: Overall not a bad beer and worth trying one. However there are definitely better stouts out there.

Kinsman, Nov 16, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured a great dark brown/black color with some decent initial head and a bit of nice lacing. Very deep chocolate scent (cocoa powder), and a nice sweet malty aroma. Nice chocolate flavor, although tasted more powder than syrup, but that's fine; Nice deep malt, but the chocolate covered up too much of the stout attributes (burnt grain, coffee, etc) for it to be a truly exceptional stout. Goes down very smoothly, thick and creamy, no hint of alcohol. Nice holiday beer.

JamesS, Nov 15, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

pours black, but not as black as I would expect from a chocolate stout.
small brown head that fades very quickly, leaving little lacing.
Milk chocolate, slight burnt sensation fill the nostrils.
Bitter chocolate seeming in the taste, no doubt from the hops though.
Slightly astringent?
Thin on the feel.

dmamiano, Nov 15, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up as a part of the Harpoon winter sampler. Dark opaque black with small tan head that fades quickly, no lacing really to speak of. Strong dark chocolate and molasses notes in the aroma, smells very pleasant. Taste follows the nose--big dark chocolate notes, molasses, and some roasted malt... lingering aftertaste. Feel is a bit thin and over-carbonated. Drinks well--tastes good, although simple and thin.

LordAdmNelson, Nov 10, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

12 Oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Black... no head or lacing....

S: Straight up chocolate, molasses and malt. Like a chocolate bar... Wonderful smelling.

T: I'm getting bitter chocolate right up front, the flavor fades quickly.. Leaving a nice chocolate aftertaste. The other flavors I'm getting are a little coffee and molasses...

M: Thick and chewy at first but quickly turns light almost watery... Carbonation is pretty strong.

D: Pretty heavy so it is not a session beer. One will do ya'.

Very enjoyable beer.... Very sweet and yummy... a very nice chocolate stout... Just wish the mouthfeel was a little more creamy with a little less carbonation. All that being said, I would love to find more of it.

mralphabet, May 26, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

A - Pours an attractive black, with a light tan..almost fluffy head.

S - Definitely can smell the chocolate, and little else, but not totally overpowering

T - This is where I got lost with this beer. All I get is hershey's syrup. No other malts, flavors, or even any hops.

M - Like most chocolate stouts, slightly creamy with medium carbonation.

D - I will finish tihs one.

1p3261, May 15, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Good dark appearance with a tan head. Smell is dominated by what seems like hershey's syrup. Same with the taste. I'm not getting much else out of this beer, no hops, malt, or anything but chocolate milk. Definitely not a complex beer. It isn't bad by any means and it was an enjoyable drink but it didn't appeal to my beer tastes. Give this to someone that isn't a beer lover, this might impress them.

jeffthecheff, Mar 18, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Not subtle or complex, but if you like boozey chocolate, it's for you.

I love chocolate, but even for me it was a little much after a while.

A) Dark brown, like a melted chocolate bar
S and T) Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Some malts, and definite cocoa.
M) Medium, a little thick but maybe that's just because I expected it to be like syrup
D) Again, depends how much you like chocolate. I could probably have a couple but the sweetness and 6.3% abv makes 1 enough.

Reminded me of this:http://mix.fresqui.com/files/images/Land_of_Chocolate.JPG

sophisticated, Mar 13, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into tulip glass.

A: Very dark tan color with a decent head.

S: Ever made chocolate milk with Hershey's syrup? Yeah.

Taste: Chocolatey, some coffee, lots of mocha. Good aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light when you first sip it, and good carbonation when it goes back.

Drinkability: Good for a stout and it's ABV, but the sweetness may be a bit much after two of 'em.

*Pairs well with a Kit Kat bar!

hoppymcgee, Mar 03, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

For a first go at a stout, this is really good.

A: Dark brown with a thin light brown head. The head leaves its mark all the way down the glass. What's weird about that as its only on the side directly opposite the one you are drinking from.

S: Roasted cocoa and coffee.

T: Roasted malts give it a strong coffee flavor with a dark chocolate kick.

M: Very smooth getting to the throat. Medium bodied so the liquid doesn't overcast the flavor.

D: Good flavor, light enough not to be a meal, limited release = drink as many as you can while you can.

bilyboy65, Mar 03, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Very dark brown with a rather small but frothy tan head. Quite a bit of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Not much lace left behind.

S: Chocolate syrup and brownies, roasted malt and coffee aromas as well.

T&M: Interesting flavor in this beer. It has the expected roasted malt and coffee undertones, but the dominate flavor is unique, as far as my personal experience with chocolate stouts goes. It is a very pronounced chocolate that reminds me of this chocolate taffy called Brown Cow that I haven't had in years. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit less creamy than I expected and the finish is a lingering sweet cocoa.

D: I have to admit that I was a little surprised by this beer. In some ways it didn't fit my expectations for a chocolate stout, but in others it was dead on. Overall, it seems the more times I try this beer the better I like it. I would welcome another pint.

littleshamrocks, Feb 09, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Pours a completely pitch black with no light penetrating through the glass with only a small tan foam.

S - Sweet milk chocolate aroma with hints of a coffee smell

T - Sweet chocolate and more chocolate

M/D - very smooth chocolaty beverage with nice carbonation that makes it a tasty treat. My only complaint is that its almost too sweet for me to want more than one.

mikereaser, Feb 05, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

12 ounce bottle, with "best by" dating etched onto the neck of the bottle of 03-15-09. Pours with little head developing above. A load of dark chocolate fudge brownies awakens the nostrils. More chocolate, fudge, chocolate syrup, chocolate bars, and then some more chocolate notes on the palate. I don't think they skimped on the chocolate on this one. None too subtle, not one I would go for again real soon. Likely would go well with a, you guessed it, chocolate dessert of some sort.

Billolick, Feb 02, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

Got a couple of bottles in the winter 12 pack a while ago, and stashed these in the beer cellar. Cracked them open last night. Poured into pint glasses. Dark black color. Large fluffy head, almost looked like root beer suds. Smelled a lot like stale baker's chocolate. Taste? What a disappointment. Did the brewer's even try this before releasing it? Have they ever tried another brewery's version of a chocolate stout? Apparently not. I am not saying they should mimic other brands, but at least they'd see how inferior it ended up and maybe tweek the recipe. Tasted like processed Hershey's syrup. No body at all, thin and watery. Only the second time ever I considered a drain pour. But the first time I told myself that I would never buy this particular Harpoon beer again.

morebeergood, Jan 29, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

The beer pours a dark, black color with a very thin tan head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has an over the top chocolate scent that boasts of cocoa and chocolate malts. The taste is average. It has a decent roasted feel with tons of chocolate flavoring added. This one is really horrible. It goes down with lots of prickly carbonation and finishes chalky with a hot cocoa taste. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a medium/full bodied with too much CO2. This is a brew for the scrap heap. I was just starting to like Harpoon's beers again, but this one may have changed my mind.

WesWes, Jan 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

The 12-ounce bottle poured into an imperial pint seidel yields a mysterious ebony body capped with quickly-fading oiled-tan foam. The head recedes into a thin, milk-bubbled ring that leaves thin wisps and scattered freckles of lacing on the glass.

The smell is chocolate malt-heavy with an edge of anise, fresh cacao, and mellow dark kilned grain. A distinct, liquory, chocolate candy sweetness separate from the maltiness piles on for maximum chocolate effect. Varied and rich, the sum of the aromas forms a broad chocolatey palette that has my mouth watering in advance of my first sip.

The taste is quite chocolatey, but the profile is laden with bitter, drying, mildly-sweet chocolate and dark roast that represents a dramatic divergence from the sugary nose. The bitter-crisp presence of dark-fired malt dipped in a swirl of melted baker's chocolate pervades the drink, and a lingering alkaline biterness closes the show.

The drink is light in body with just enough carbonation and is quite chocolatey without becoming obnoxiously so. At a surprising 6.3% abv, Harpoon's Chocolate Stout is a little potent for sessionability, but quite quaffable nonetheless. A fine offering from the "Wintry Mix" sample pack, and one I'd buy again under the right circumstances.

cvstrickland, Jan 24, 2009

I was really looking forward to this brew and is the primary reason why I picked up the mix pack, though I really do like all of the other brews in it. The brew poured to a almost pitch black color, had some brown like highlights, smallish head that is tan in color and fades quickly. Limited lacing. The aroma, wow, almost like semi-sweet chocolate syrup and some toasted malts. The flavor is all chocolate for me, some roasted malts but it really is just a dry chocolate flavor. For me it was to much, it actually was difficult for me to get through. I would imagine that for some folks this is great, but not a stout that I like.

Stimack, Jan 21, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -52.2%

I just bought a Harpoon variety pack, this was the first one I decided to try.

Color: Black with a milk chocolate head, low retention, slightly lacy.

Aroma: Holy Cow it smells just like chocolate!

Taste: thin at first, light mouthfeel leading into a moderate amount of carbonation. Chocolate flavor throughout with just a touch of smokeyness. Almost liquor like. Esters of alcohol toward the end with a wet finish.

Overall: To be honest I wouldn't go out of my way for this. The chocolate flavor seems like a processed liquid extract and not very pleasant. I feel like I'm taking a sip of some watered down liquor. Not my favorite.

AtlasBrew, Jan 18, 2009