Harpoon Chocolate Stout - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 10-24-2008)
2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

A-deep black color, two full fingers of a thick dark caramel brown head, lingers for a good bit, leaves a little lace on the glass

S-big roasted chocolate malt, living up to the name

T/M-the full smell is not followed with big flavor. there is some roasted malt taste and some dark chocolate but the beer is very light bodied, almost watered down. Very thin, it is smooth; but just way too light.

D-not something I would like to drink often, it smelled pretty nice; but it +'s end there.

cpetrone84, Nov 21, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Pours a typical stout black with a tan foamy head, quickly fading to leave some lace on the glass.

S: Noticeable dark chocolate aroma, and a strong roasted malt scent

T: Roasted character provides a somewhat harsh bitterness. Chocolate flavors are almost overdone on this one, but they don't completely ruin it.

M: Kind of a disappointment here. Just doesn't have the body you would expect from a stout like this.

D: Overall not a bad beer and worth trying one. However there are definitely better stouts out there.

Kinsman, Nov 16, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured a great dark brown/black color with some decent initial head and a bit of nice lacing. Very deep chocolate scent (cocoa powder), and a nice sweet malty aroma. Nice chocolate flavor, although tasted more powder than syrup, but that's fine; Nice deep malt, but the chocolate covered up too much of the stout attributes (burnt grain, coffee, etc) for it to be a truly exceptional stout. Goes down very smoothly, thick and creamy, no hint of alcohol. Nice holiday beer.

JamesS, Nov 15, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

pours black, but not as black as I would expect from a chocolate stout.
small brown head that fades very quickly, leaving little lacing.
Milk chocolate, slight burnt sensation fill the nostrils.
Bitter chocolate seeming in the taste, no doubt from the hops though.
Slightly astringent?
Thin on the feel.

dmamiano, Nov 15, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up as a part of the Harpoon winter sampler. Dark opaque black with small tan head that fades quickly, no lacing really to speak of. Strong dark chocolate and molasses notes in the aroma, smells very pleasant. Taste follows the nose--big dark chocolate notes, molasses, and some roasted malt... lingering aftertaste. Feel is a bit thin and over-carbonated. Drinks well--tastes good, although simple and thin.

LordAdmNelson, Nov 10, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

12 Oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Black... no head or lacing....

S: Straight up chocolate, molasses and malt. Like a chocolate bar... Wonderful smelling.

T: I'm getting bitter chocolate right up front, the flavor fades quickly.. Leaving a nice chocolate aftertaste. The other flavors I'm getting are a little coffee and molasses...

M: Thick and chewy at first but quickly turns light almost watery... Carbonation is pretty strong.

D: Pretty heavy so it is not a session beer. One will do ya'.

Very enjoyable beer.... Very sweet and yummy... a very nice chocolate stout... Just wish the mouthfeel was a little more creamy with a little less carbonation. All that being said, I would love to find more of it.

mralphabet, May 26, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

A - Pours an attractive black, with a light tan..almost fluffy head.

S - Definitely can smell the chocolate, and little else, but not totally overpowering

T - This is where I got lost with this beer. All I get is hershey's syrup. No other malts, flavors, or even any hops.

M - Like most chocolate stouts, slightly creamy with medium carbonation.

D - I will finish tihs one.

1p3261, May 15, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Good dark appearance with a tan head. Smell is dominated by what seems like hershey's syrup. Same with the taste. I'm not getting much else out of this beer, no hops, malt, or anything but chocolate milk. Definitely not a complex beer. It isn't bad by any means and it was an enjoyable drink but it didn't appeal to my beer tastes. Give this to someone that isn't a beer lover, this might impress them.

jeffthecheff, Mar 18, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Not subtle or complex, but if you like boozey chocolate, it's for you.

I love chocolate, but even for me it was a little much after a while.

A) Dark brown, like a melted chocolate bar
S and T) Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Some malts, and definite cocoa.
M) Medium, a little thick but maybe that's just because I expected it to be like syrup
D) Again, depends how much you like chocolate. I could probably have a couple but the sweetness and 6.3% abv makes 1 enough.

Reminded me of this:http://mix.fresqui.com/files/images/Land_of_Chocolate.JPG

sophisticated, Mar 13, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into tulip glass.

A: Very dark tan color with a decent head.

S: Ever made chocolate milk with Hershey's syrup? Yeah.

Taste: Chocolatey, some coffee, lots of mocha. Good aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light when you first sip it, and good carbonation when it goes back.

Drinkability: Good for a stout and it's ABV, but the sweetness may be a bit much after two of 'em.

*Pairs well with a Kit Kat bar!

hoppymcgee, Mar 03, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

For a first go at a stout, this is really good.

A: Dark brown with a thin light brown head. The head leaves its mark all the way down the glass. What's weird about that as its only on the side directly opposite the one you are drinking from.

S: Roasted cocoa and coffee.

T: Roasted malts give it a strong coffee flavor with a dark chocolate kick.

M: Very smooth getting to the throat. Medium bodied so the liquid doesn't overcast the flavor.

D: Good flavor, light enough not to be a meal, limited release = drink as many as you can while you can.

bilyboy65, Mar 03, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Very dark brown with a rather small but frothy tan head. Quite a bit of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Not much lace left behind.

S: Chocolate syrup and brownies, roasted malt and coffee aromas as well.

T&M: Interesting flavor in this beer. It has the expected roasted malt and coffee undertones, but the dominate flavor is unique, as far as my personal experience with chocolate stouts goes. It is a very pronounced chocolate that reminds me of this chocolate taffy called Brown Cow that I haven't had in years. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit less creamy than I expected and the finish is a lingering sweet cocoa.

D: I have to admit that I was a little surprised by this beer. In some ways it didn't fit my expectations for a chocolate stout, but in others it was dead on. Overall, it seems the more times I try this beer the better I like it. I would welcome another pint.

littleshamrocks, Feb 09, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Pours a completely pitch black with no light penetrating through the glass with only a small tan foam.

S - Sweet milk chocolate aroma with hints of a coffee smell

T - Sweet chocolate and more chocolate

M/D - very smooth chocolaty beverage with nice carbonation that makes it a tasty treat. My only complaint is that its almost too sweet for me to want more than one.

mikereaser, Feb 05, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

12 ounce bottle, with "best by" dating etched onto the neck of the bottle of 03-15-09. Pours with little head developing above. A load of dark chocolate fudge brownies awakens the nostrils. More chocolate, fudge, chocolate syrup, chocolate bars, and then some more chocolate notes on the palate. I don't think they skimped on the chocolate on this one. None too subtle, not one I would go for again real soon. Likely would go well with a, you guessed it, chocolate dessert of some sort.

Billolick, Feb 02, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

Got a couple of bottles in the winter 12 pack a while ago, and stashed these in the beer cellar. Cracked them open last night. Poured into pint glasses. Dark black color. Large fluffy head, almost looked like root beer suds. Smelled a lot like stale baker's chocolate. Taste? What a disappointment. Did the brewer's even try this before releasing it? Have they ever tried another brewery's version of a chocolate stout? Apparently not. I am not saying they should mimic other brands, but at least they'd see how inferior it ended up and maybe tweek the recipe. Tasted like processed Hershey's syrup. No body at all, thin and watery. Only the second time ever I considered a drain pour. But the first time I told myself that I would never buy this particular Harpoon beer again.

morebeergood, Jan 29, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

The beer pours a dark, black color with a very thin tan head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has an over the top chocolate scent that boasts of cocoa and chocolate malts. The taste is average. It has a decent roasted feel with tons of chocolate flavoring added. This one is really horrible. It goes down with lots of prickly carbonation and finishes chalky with a hot cocoa taste. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a medium/full bodied with too much CO2. This is a brew for the scrap heap. I was just starting to like Harpoon's beers again, but this one may have changed my mind.

WesWes, Jan 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

The 12-ounce bottle poured into an imperial pint seidel yields a mysterious ebony body capped with quickly-fading oiled-tan foam. The head recedes into a thin, milk-bubbled ring that leaves thin wisps and scattered freckles of lacing on the glass.

The smell is chocolate malt-heavy with an edge of anise, fresh cacao, and mellow dark kilned grain. A distinct, liquory, chocolate candy sweetness separate from the maltiness piles on for maximum chocolate effect. Varied and rich, the sum of the aromas forms a broad chocolatey palette that has my mouth watering in advance of my first sip.

The taste is quite chocolatey, but the profile is laden with bitter, drying, mildly-sweet chocolate and dark roast that represents a dramatic divergence from the sugary nose. The bitter-crisp presence of dark-fired malt dipped in a swirl of melted baker's chocolate pervades the drink, and a lingering alkaline biterness closes the show.

The drink is light in body with just enough carbonation and is quite chocolatey without becoming obnoxiously so. At a surprising 6.3% abv, Harpoon's Chocolate Stout is a little potent for sessionability, but quite quaffable nonetheless. A fine offering from the "Wintry Mix" sample pack, and one I'd buy again under the right circumstances.

cvstrickland, Jan 24, 2009

I was really looking forward to this brew and is the primary reason why I picked up the mix pack, though I really do like all of the other brews in it. The brew poured to a almost pitch black color, had some brown like highlights, smallish head that is tan in color and fades quickly. Limited lacing. The aroma, wow, almost like semi-sweet chocolate syrup and some toasted malts. The flavor is all chocolate for me, some roasted malts but it really is just a dry chocolate flavor. For me it was to much, it actually was difficult for me to get through. I would imagine that for some folks this is great, but not a stout that I like.

Stimack, Jan 21, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -52.2%

I just bought a Harpoon variety pack, this was the first one I decided to try.

Color: Black with a milk chocolate head, low retention, slightly lacy.

Aroma: Holy Cow it smells just like chocolate!

Taste: thin at first, light mouthfeel leading into a moderate amount of carbonation. Chocolate flavor throughout with just a touch of smokeyness. Almost liquor like. Esters of alcohol toward the end with a wet finish.

Overall: To be honest I wouldn't go out of my way for this. The chocolate flavor seems like a processed liquid extract and not very pleasant. I feel like I'm taking a sip of some watered down liquor. Not my favorite.

AtlasBrew, Jan 18, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a cola-colored brown, rapidly fading tan head leaves a handful of spots of lace on the glass. Smells like a chocolate glazed Dunkin Donut, or maybe a bowl full of Count Chocula....way wicked chocolatey smell! Taste doesn't really "bring it" as far as the fake chocolatey food flavors go, but there's enough choco-goodness to put a smile on my face. Seems a little thin for the style (yes, I know it's not an "Imperial", and I'm fine with it). This is interesting enough, and certainly worth a try, but nothing I'd really go out of my way for in the future.

corey0212, Jan 08, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

A Very dark chocolate brown.

S Very light chocolate and malt aroma.

T This is by far not my favorite style. The beer came in a variety pack and I had to give one a try. There is a slight chocolate and malt to the taste. The beer gets better as you go on.

M Very smooth and slightly creamy feel.

D I would not buy a case or even a six of this, but an occasional bottle would be ok. It's not that is bad it's just not the style of beer I would drink on a regular basis.

confer, Jan 04, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium sized and medium bodied tan colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of deep roasted malts, some vinous aromas, then a nice dark chocolate sweetness in the aroma.
T: Chocolate with roasted malts, roasted chocolate malt, then more chocolate, a bittersweet dark chocolate flavor.
M: Very smooth, sweet, and warming.
D: Very drinkable beer. I wish this wasn't only available in the winter 12 pack with only 2 bottles per pack. I really enjoyed this one.

erosier, Jan 02, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Thanks to DrDogbeer for this one, poured from a 12oz bottle.

pours a rich coffee color building to an almost jet black in the glass with a fairly weak half-finger head of a nice light mocha color that faded relatively quickly, leaving behind only a bit of lacing.

whoah. this one literally smells like chocolate cake. Ganache, cocoa shavings and all. A definite sweet chocolate malt undertone accented by more chocolate. Milk chocolate with hints of bittersweet cocoa. Impressive aroma.

Taste, somewhat surprisingly, follows aroma pretty closely. A healthy dose of pure chocolate follows the light caramel malt, sticking around a bit before fading out to a light malt and finally a bitter finish seemingly comprised of bitter cocoa, bitter coffee and a touch of hops. The chocolate dominates and leaves the palette (and brain) slightly perplexed. Different flavors and more(?) chocolate than other chocolate stouts.

Mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I was expecting for a 6.3% stout. A little on the thin side, with some ample carbonation that nears too much. A bit creamier and fuller and it would be unbelievably delicious... the thinness allows the bitter finish to rear its head a bit more.

All in all, an interesting and impressive brew. probably the most chocolaty brew I've tried, short of pouring chocolate syrup into a stout. Almost an overload on the chocolate, but this one pulls it off. Mouthfeel left a bit to be desired, but all in all I'm impressed. If you like chocolate, this is a must try. Not really sessionable, but if I ever have the opportunity to get a few more bottles, there'd be no hesitation.

djeucalyptus, Dec 28, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle came as part of a Harpoon Winter Sampler pack.

Appearance - Deep opaque brown/black. Minimal head on pour, and retains a minimal head at best. Almost no lacing to speak of.

Smell - Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. Reminds me of an Ovaltine milkshake.

Taste - you guessed it. Tastes like cheap, waxy chocolate, the kind that Tootsie Rolls are made of. Nothing much else to it really, it's chocolate and beer. Aftertaste is better though; I can taste a dark chocolate/coffee flavor that is hidden while drinking.

Mouthfeel - pretty watery for a stout. I was hoping for a thicker, creamier beer than this.

Drinkability - the beer is not very heavy at all, but not yet a light beer. Really had trouble finishing the bottle. Have had other chocolate stouts that are way better, Rogue and Brooklyn for example.

matt062286, Dec 27, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

From a 12 fl. oz. bottle with a date marked 03/15/09B-312. The dark baked chocolate aroma penetrates the nose as soon as I pry the bottle cap off. It pours a very dark, almost black tone with a lingering tan head. The taste is very chocolately with a little hops in the background. It is a bit overwhelming but it really isn't too bad but it is not something I would buy regularly.

puboflyons, Dec 27, 2008