Harpoon Crystal Wheat - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 03-30-2009)
Reviews by HopEnthusiast:
2.73/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry, wheat malt scent along with a fake lemony essence aroma. I'm not sure why they felt they needed to add lemon to this beer. The taste is average as well. It has an overpowering lemon flavor that really ruins it for me. Otherwise, it's pilsner and wheat malts adding some supporting flavors. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation.

HopEnthusiast, Jul 13, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -10.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle has a "Best By" date of 09/15/10 printed on the bottle and a very short description on the neck label. There is no noticeable ABV%.

Appearance: It has an uber effervescent pale yellow body. It has great clarity and the aggressive carbonation supports a tall bright white head of smooth creamy foam. Lacing is thick and splotchy.

Smell: The aroma has loads of citrus and wheat popping right out of the bottle as I popped the cap. The citrus is a mix of lemon grass, lemon oil, lemon candy and lemon scented dish soap.

Taste/Palate: There is a light wheat and cereal grain base with loads of lemony citrus character. This citrusy character matches its aroma. There is a brief hint of sweetness before it all goes dry and slightly sour. I am also just picking up the very slightest hint of hops in the finish. Its body has a light feel with lots of lively carbonation that made me burp like I was drinking soda pop.

Notes: I really was not expecting this beer. The flavor was just off to me and I didn't really care for it.

generallee, Aug 26, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -13.9%

23 ouncer I pilfered from a friends box of 12 sampler. best before dating etched onto the neck of the bottle, pours very light golden amber, clear, minor off white head and lace. Just a hint of powdered sugar in the nose. Metallic tasting and not all that pleasant. I get a minor taste of some wheaty malt and astringent hops late. Not much here to be real positive about. There is so much better beer out there, pass this one by.

Billolick, May 13, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with no real head. The aroma is a mix of wheat and lemons. The flavor is wheat and lemons, which mix together to make it taste like a lemon-lime soda such as Sprite or 7Up. Thin, watery mouthfeel and medium to high carbonation. I guess this would be easy to drink on a hot day but even then I doubt it would be any good.

Mora2000, Jun 14, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -24.1%

A new type of Harpoon always arouses interest; I got the Harpoon Summer Vacation mix pack to give this beer a try.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be picking up a six-pack of this if they choose to release it that way. The lemon character is too pronounced for my taste.

A: A clear, bright yellow, it almost seems that they used artificial coloring to get it that way. A nice, tight head on top, as I poured it into the Sam Adams glass.

S: An odd citrusy scent, with some maltiness. The lemon comes through strongly. Not pungent, but pronounced.

T: A letdown. Others describe it as Pez-like, to me, it tasted like a lemon-lime Alka-seltzer was dropped into a pilsner.

M: Fine. Nothing remarkable; a bit light, so I guess they are aiming for barbecue beer here.

D: I had to force the twelve ounces into me. I suffer for the art :^)

I'm a huge fan of Harpoon Brewery. They've put out some amazing beer over the past few years. The IPA has been the "official beer for Joe" for a long, long time, and I think that will continue. This time, however, I think HB made a swing and a miss. Looking forward to the Octoberfest!

joev, May 06, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -27.2%

Appears a pale golden color, with fizzy carbonation head does form nicely and sticks around for a considerable amount of time, lacing sticks to the glass fine even lacing. Aromatics hits you with the essence of lemon pretty much a strong dish soap or cleaning product lemon zest tone, and that's about it. Flavor wise it's pretty much like an alco-pop with fizzy sturdy carbonation and the natural flavoring of lemon essence. There's a filtered American wheat somwhere in here, but it's hard to describe with the lemon blast dawning the palate up. You could probably threaten to wash your kid's mouths out with this when they cuss. Mouthfeel is light and spritzy reminiscient of the summer shandy from Leinenkugel's. Drinkability overall is okay, chicks will dig but this was the weakest offering by far in the summer sampler. I liked the summer beer (kolsch), IPA solid, and UFO is unoffensive. This one kind of crosses the palate as a few notches below mediocre.

WVbeergeek, Apr 26, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Harpoon Crystal White pours translucent yellow-white, with a nice fading white head. Some citrus, yeasty orange and lemon, and a subtle carbonation.

For the novice: Your girlfriend/wife's new favorite beer.

Personally: A "wit" beer for those who don't like beer. Seriously, super refreshing, but well made for what it is - a light alternative to wheat beers. I would consider this one of the best "light beers" around. On a hot day, I swear I could drink like ten of these.

WCBCFrank, Sep 01, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +26.9%

I find this to be the perfect summer beer. I love the lemon and wheat combination, my only disappointment is that Harpoon only offers it in their summer pack. Many may groan at this, but I added 1/2 teaspoon of limoncello to their UFO, the taste is very similar, and equally refreshing without the need for fresh lemons.

BetterDarker, May 20, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -12.4%

Ultra clear, yellow-gold color, soft, tight head, fizzy look, head's gone fast.

The aroma is mostly lemmon zesty wheat, citric tartness, clean and sharp.

The light, cispy and simple wheat flavor's are grand, but alas, there's a bunch of lemmon zesty added flavor that just simply takes me out of the game.

Let's lay off the added fruit flavor's and let a simple wheat beer speak for itslef.

GratefulBeerGuy, May 26, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +0.6%

Kmlund, Oct 03, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -10.2%

bottle into a pilsener glass.

a- A lighter straw color, completely clear and even.

s- a very light smell, at first whif there was a bit of tangy citrus and not much else. Smells a bit grain like but not in a strong way.

glug glug glug
t- a light wheaty taste with a fakey lemon kick. its not bad. the lemon seems to linger and its certainly good for the sunny weather. a little watery in the end with so much fake lemon left over.

m- just fine, beery and a little on the thin side.

d- I want to like this more, but it feels like they added artificial lemon, which is kind of off. I wouldnt feel this way if it was a bit lighter and tasted more organic but still...not terrible and a fine summer beer, certainly better than many flavor added beers.

Thur123, Jul 28, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I was excited to try this beer since it is only available on tap and in their summer seasonal mixed 12-pack. Needless to say (from looking at the scores I gave it) I was very disappointed. I probably should have had lower expectations, which is my own fault--I like big cloudy hefes and wits, not filtered American pale wheats. But even as that genre goes, this was really not much of a beer. The one thing I can say for it is I wouldn't mind getting drunk on the beach with a bunch of these--although you can't even do that because they don't sell sixers of them, but they should probably keep it that way. Tasted like Rolling Rock with the slightest hint of wheatiness. Really nothing to the nose or the palate. I keep trying to love Harpoon, being from the Boston area, but it just won't click for me. They make a solid IPA which is of course their bread and butter, and I quite liked their belgian pale ale, but that's about it for me...I've had their hefe, wit, summer beer, etc. and all of have been sort of whatever. Bland and not interesting. This one is definitely the worst of the bunch.

jal30, Aug 19, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Served: bottle to 16 oz tall glass. Happened to eat an orange before hand.

A: Clear golden straw color with initial half finger white head that fizzles out quickly. Small amount of carbonation.

S: Wheat and citrus. Smells rather sweet.

T: Lemon and bubblegum. Does not taste bad at all.

M: The initial decent tastes dissipates quickly to reveal more of a soda/seltzer taste. Hardly tastes like a beer after a few seconds and definitely not a wheat from a respected brewery.

D: One and done.

A good beer for hot weather, as it is marketed in the Harpoon summer seasonal pack. Not good for wheat lovers or most beer lovers.

DrewKid4, Jun 23, 2010

buzzy, Feb 18, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

A - crystal clear, Ok color but not very interesting.

S - little nose

T - clean, but lacks any real character. Yes, I understand this is part of brewing an unoffensive brew that many will drink, but still.

M - thin, and not much carbonation.

D - one and I'm done.

Throckmorton, Aug 25, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +20.7%

A) Transparent. Light golden color. Pours with 3/4 inch head, then settles quickly to thin lacing.
S) Citrus fruit. Orange. Some wheat notes.
T) Just a bite of citrus up front. Grainy in the middle. Nutty finish.
M) Fizzy. Light bodied. Crisp.
D) A very tasty light beer.

u2carew, Jun 10, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -13.9%

Another new one for me, we brought a bunch over to the fourth of July cookout. Served cold and poured
into a nice tasting glass, this one was consumed on 07/04/2010.

Found this one in the fridge when I went in for a soda, lol. Really light pour almost clear with loads
of carbonation coming up through the glass that tops off into a head of pure white. Settling down it
leaves a broken crown that quickly leaves itself bare.

Aroma is light, almost sprite like with tones of lime and lemon grass coming through the air. As I
take the first sip I am really taken back with the lack of flavor and depth. Not that I was expecting
a ton, but there was a serious lack of it on here. Lemon grass,, light wheat and not much else. Very,
very light and completely session able though.

Overall a rather odd, and uninteresting beer. It was not terrible, it was as drinkable as water, just
was not looking for that level of lightness at the time. Oh well, still decent.

mikesgroove, Jul 09, 2010

tclapper, Dec 05, 2011

tzieser, Nov 19, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

KarateShow, Jun 05, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz bottle with a best by date of 09/15/10. Pours an unsurprisingly crystal clear light gold color with a large-bubbled white head that is neither very large, nor does it display great retention despite being fed by a shitload of streaming bubbles. Why would you filter a wheat beer anyway? That has never made much sense to me.

Huh? This smells like a lemon-lime soda! It actually reminds me of a better smelling version of bud light lime. Not much else here, unfortunately.

"Hint of lemon essence" my ass! This tastes like the old-school yellow candies that came in rows of dots glued to paper...Candy Buttons, that's it. Sweet, with a little bit of clashing tartness and hop bitterness on the finish. Sorry Harpoon, you know I love 'ya but this beer is pretty foul.

twiggamortis420, Jun 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +34.1%

A GREAT summer wheat beer on those hot, hazy & humid summer daze! Appeals to both genders.

A: clear and pale. Smallish head dissipates rather quickly.

S: clean, crisp wheaty beer with citrus/lemony notes.

T: very smooth, balanced & wet. Distinct lemon taste, then wheat malts. Hops are there in a subtle, balanced way.

M: good solid carbonation - necessary for a summer brew.

D: A very good summer beer not a hot day when you need your thirst slaked. Goes down easy - you can have several of these while you cool down due to the low ABV.

One of the best wheat beers out there for quality, slakability and drinkability. Highly recommended! Cheers!

ProfessorHomer, Nov 07, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Pours a nice golden yellow with a medium sized and thinner bodied white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet wheat and lightly toasted malts, hints of citrus and some light hops at the end of the nose.
T: Very much like the aroma - sweet wheat and lightly toasted malt, but with a much bigger citrus taste at the end.
M: Very smooth, crisp, fresh, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, I liked it a lot and I guess this is Harpoon's stab at the Sam Adams Summer Ale market because it was very similar.

erosier, Jun 17, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -27.2%

I feel like a heel being the voice of dissent here but I must, as I found this new offering to be a major let down. I have had a bad time with many Harpoon offerings in the last 6 months: overly sweet & tacky Christmas offering; name change for the Hibernian; a sub-par UFO season so far & now this. I saw the new summer 12-pack with this Crystal Wheat seasonal & was excited. Sadly though, I was less than unimpressed. First off, the name seemed odd, particularly with the meth-head population in my neighborhood, all I could think of was crystal meth. The pour was a yellowy cloud of wheat, which had promise. The head was white & minimal & the lace likewise. The cloudiness settled to a brighter than expected yellow, and quite artificial looking at that. The aroma was of sweet lemon, almost like a lemonade, while the flavor smacked of sweet lemon Pledge with hints of corn & a slick body with near soda-like carbonation. The sensation was of drinking some kind of malt-beverage, or "beer cooler" as my wife saw it. Although the sweet lemon went somewhat with our Asian stir fry, this beer lacked any real credentials, sweet soda-beer...This may be a marketing attempt to 'convince' the beer-haters to try something they might like. I shan't be buying this again. Bleh.

selecter70, May 04, 2009

Pours a clear gold with white fizzy head. Aroma of lemon peel, lemon grass, faint wheat, faint bubble gum. Flavor is very much the same. Mouth feel is light and watery with very high fizzy carbonation. Overall, it's a decent, refreshing summer beer. Has more then just a hint of lemon.

Swalden28, Jun 15, 2010