UFO White - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

pDev: 15%
Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Light, crisp, refreshing UFO White follows in the tradition of spiced wheat beers that have been brewed in Belgium for well over 300 years. Brewed with orange peel and a unique blend of spices, UFO White is the perfect choice for a summer’s barbecue, a night out with friends or any time you¹re thirsting for something a little different. Like UFO Hefeweizen and UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen, we leave UFO White Unfiltered for a more natural taste and appearance.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-03-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO White Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -65.3%

1.35/5  rDev -62.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance: Hazy pale yellow color with a thin white head.
Smell: almost none.
Mouthfeel: very fizzy
Taste: Light body
Overall: awful...beyond bad. No taste whatsoever. zzz!!
Had to cut it with an oatmeal stout so as to not waste the 3/4 bottle what is undrinkable

1.44/5  rDev -60%

1.5/5  rDev -58.3%

like yellow pee in color, you can see the carbonation bubbles constantly going to the top. hints of orange when smelling it. Too light in flavor to me. Like drinking a carbonated apple juice.

1.54/5  rDev -57.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

appearance: To me it looks like any other beer Yellow with white head.

smell: you can definitely smell a bit of orange not much but its definitely thee

taste: taste i give it a 1.5 just because you can definitely smell the orange but you can not tate it once it is in your mouth.

mouthfeel: Light & high carbonation

overall: differently better than the regular coronas you find out there on a late saturday night but I wouldn't recommend this beer to a friend.

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%

I suppose I had to review this one eventually, now is that time.

A- Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Right upon pouring, I knew this wasn't going to be pretty. Immediately upon hitting the glass, this beer made the loudest fizzing sound I have heard from a beer and things did not improve from there. Within 15 seconds of pouring, all foam/head was gone which was just a tiny layer of fizz in the first place. This beer ends up looking like a big glass of hazy apple juice. No head, no ring, no lace. Worst pour ever.

S- A fairly weak nose overall as far as strength goes. I pick up some things with effort which includes Wit yeast, pepper, orange citrus and yeast bread. Pretty much fades to nothing in a few minutes.

T- Tasted like a Witbier that was watered down over and over again. Diluted notes of grapefruit and lemon zest, peppercorn, clove, spices and some banana. Not a bad array of flavors if it didn't feel so watery. Yeast bread in the finish.

MF- The body is about as light as air and has crazy high carbonation which fizzes away pretty quickly with each sip. Once again, an extremely watered down feel in all aspects of the feeling.

One of the lowest scored beers I have had in a very long time. I feel like someone removed 75% of the beer from my bottle, added water and re-capped it. The flavors are not off or terrible it just tastes like bucket of water. This watery feel kills the flavor and mouthfeel. I could think of so many Witbiers I would buy before this one. I was never a huge fan of the style but this gives me an ENORMOUS appreciation for the others I have reviewed.

1.93/5  rDev -46.4%

Sampled on tap at the Boston Brewery.

Poured a hazy very light pale straw color. Aroma is strong w/ coriander & orange peel. Maybe my palate was off, because this sample follwed an IPA and Summer beer, but it basically tasted like fizzy lemon seltzer water to me. Thin, weak, and highly carbonated. I guess its easy to drink, but severely lacking in flavor. I would rather drink a PBR over this any day of the week.

2.35/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a whitish hue. The pure white head is frothy and clings to the glass as it settles.

The aroma is of corriander and orange peel. It has that rotten vegatel funk that the cheap american wits seem to have. It is that post farmers market stench. I don't get it.

Same taste as the smell. The malt is light and dry, a bit a of wheat bite. The yeast and spice note is of coriander, orange peel and vegatel funk. Rotting produce in a glass. Almost a clone of Blue Moon.

The feel is light and crisp. No real lingering flavors, quite clean.

Just another gross example of an american wit. Huge rotten vegatel coriander flavor.

2.4/5  rDev -33.3%

Appears a pale hazed golden hue much like other wits out there, the white head has tight bubbles which dwindle quickly leaving a nice collar of lacing sticking to the edges of my glass.

Aroma has a dominant flow of orange peels flying off it's head, not much else to detect in the nose a bit one dimensional. Very perfume like with no discernable hops present.

Flavor has creamy wheat notes with citrus rind bitterness, a little too zesty for Big a Tony. Not much coriander again a bittering dominance of citrus, in this case orange peels that sours the stomach and the palate.

Mouthfeel is lighter bodied I wish I could say crisp and refreshing but that experience is not offered here, orange peels weighs heavy again. No real white ale profile to be spoken about this is an American pale wheat with orange zest flavor.

Drinkability is pretty poor go and seek something with some balance and some redeeming qualities not digging this brew at all.

2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

Nice hazy pale gold appearance. Head was weak and didn't last long. The smell was insanely citrusy -which I found to be very interesting, albeit unsettling- and backed by fresh wheat. Unfortunately, the curious nature of the smell translated into an equally curious and, finally, overwhelming taste. Orange was most prevalent, but a more subtle (yet still noticeable) taste of lemon added tartness. The body was decently malty, but the sweetness of the fruit overpowered it. Balance was certainly lacking.

I tried very hard to like this beer considering I spent about $13 on a six-pack of it. The more I tried it, however, the more convinced I became that not only that it just wasn't for me, but I couldn't find much of a comparison to most other bières blanches I've had. A poor take on the style, I'd argue. I I'll take a Hoegaarden or La Trappe instead, thank you very much.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%