UFO White - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-03-2009

Light, crisp, refreshing UFO White follows in the tradition of spiced wheat beers that have been brewed in Belgium for well over 300 years. Brewed with orange peel and a unique blend of spices, UFO White is the perfect choice for a summer’s barbecue, a night out with friends or any time you¹re thirsting for something a little different. Like UFO Hefeweizen and UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen, we leave UFO White Unfiltered for a more natural taste and appearance.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO White Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,246 | Reviews: 244
1.36/5  rDev -62.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Appearance: Hazy pale yellow color with a thin white head.
Smell: almost none.
Mouthfeel: very fizzy
Taste: Light body
Overall: awful...beyond bad. No taste whatsoever. zzz!!
Had to cut it with an oatmeal stout so as to not waste the 3/4 bottle what is undrinkable

1.5/5  rDev -58.4%

like yellow pee in color, you can see the carbonation bubbles constantly going to the top. hints of orange when smelling it. Too light in flavor to me. Like drinking a carbonated apple juice.

1.55/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

appearance: To me it looks like any other beer Yellow with white head.

smell: you can definitely smell a bit of orange not much but its definitely thee

taste: taste i give it a 1.5 just because you can definitely smell the orange but you can not tate it once it is in your mouth.

mouthfeel: Light & high carbonation

overall: differently better than the regular coronas you find out there on a late saturday night but I wouldn't recommend this beer to a friend.

1.82/5  rDev -49.6%

I suppose I had to review this one eventually, now is that time.

A- Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Right upon pouring, I knew this wasn't going to be pretty. Immediately upon hitting the glass, this beer made the loudest fizzing sound I have heard from a beer and things did not improve from there. Within 15 seconds of pouring, all foam/head was gone which was just a tiny layer of fizz in the first place. This beer ends up looking like a big glass of hazy apple juice. No head, no ring, no lace. Worst pour ever.

S- A fairly weak nose overall as far as strength goes. I pick up some things with effort which includes Wit yeast, pepper, orange citrus and yeast bread. Pretty much fades to nothing in a few minutes.

T- Tasted like a Witbier that was watered down over and over again. Diluted notes of grapefruit and lemon zest, peppercorn, clove, spices and some banana. Not a bad array of flavors if it didn't feel so watery. Yeast bread in the finish.

MF- The body is about as light as air and has crazy high carbonation which fizzes away pretty quickly with each sip. Once again, an extremely watered down feel in all aspects of the feeling.

One of the lowest scored beers I have had in a very long time. I feel like someone removed 75% of the beer from my bottle, added water and re-capped it. The flavors are not off or terrible it just tastes like bucket of water. This watery feel kills the flavor and mouthfeel. I could think of so many Witbiers I would buy before this one. I was never a huge fan of the style but this gives me an ENORMOUS appreciation for the others I have reviewed.

Sampled on tap at the Boston Brewery.

Poured a hazy very light pale straw color. Aroma is strong w/ coriander & orange peel. Maybe my palate was off, because this sample follwed an IPA and Summer beer, but it basically tasted like fizzy lemon seltzer water to me. Thin, weak, and highly carbonated. I guess its easy to drink, but severely lacking in flavor. I would rather drink a PBR over this any day of the week.

2.37/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a whitish hue. The pure white head is frothy and clings to the glass as it settles.

The aroma is of corriander and orange peel. It has that rotten vegatel funk that the cheap american wits seem to have. It is that post farmers market stench. I don't get it.

Same taste as the smell. The malt is light and dry, a bit a of wheat bite. The yeast and spice note is of coriander, orange peel and vegatel funk. Rotting produce in a glass. Almost a clone of Blue Moon.

The feel is light and crisp. No real lingering flavors, quite clean.

Just another gross example of an american wit. Huge rotten vegatel coriander flavor.

2.46/5  rDev -31.9%

Appears a pale hazed golden hue much like other wits out there, the white head has tight bubbles which dwindle quickly leaving a nice collar of lacing sticking to the edges of my glass.

Aroma has a dominant flow of orange peels flying off it's head, not much else to detect in the nose a bit one dimensional. Very perfume like with no discernable hops present.

Flavor has creamy wheat notes with citrus rind bitterness, a little too zesty for Big a Tony. Not much coriander again a bittering dominance of citrus, in this case orange peels that sours the stomach and the palate.

Mouthfeel is lighter bodied I wish I could say crisp and refreshing but that experience is not offered here, orange peels weighs heavy again. No real white ale profile to be spoken about this is an American pale wheat with orange zest flavor.

Drinkability is pretty poor go and seek something with some balance and some redeeming qualities not digging this brew at all.

2.47/5  rDev -31.6%

Nice hazy pale gold appearance. Head was weak and didn't last long. The smell was insanely citrusy -which I found to be very interesting, albeit unsettling- and backed by fresh wheat. Unfortunately, the curious nature of the smell translated into an equally curious and, finally, overwhelming taste. Orange was most prevalent, but a more subtle (yet still noticeable) taste of lemon added tartness. The body was decently malty, but the sweetness of the fruit overpowered it. Balance was certainly lacking.

I tried very hard to like this beer considering I spent about $13 on a six-pack of it. The more I tried it, however, the more convinced I became that not only that it just wasn't for me, but I couldn't find much of a comparison to most other bières blanches I've had. A poor take on the style, I'd argue. I I'll take a Hoegaarden or La Trappe instead, thank you very much.

2.61/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

From the tap, the beer was a dark hazy yellow color with a wispy head. Lots of lemony character coming from this one, and necessarily in a good way. The citrus is out of whack and bulges into an unpleasant acidic sourness. This beer needs some tweaking to bring it up to snuff.

2.66/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

"Beer with natural flavors added." "Unfiltered wheat beer." Reviewed as a witbier. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with simple label and branded red pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. Lacks creaminess. Poor complexion and consistency. Head retention is below average - about 1.5 minutes. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

Body colour is a murky dull copper - not quite the cloudy yellow-orange you'd expect from a good witbier. Lacks vibrance/glow. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

This looks pretty bad for a witbier. Outside style conventions, it's generally appealing. I have my reservations.

Sm: Coariander, citrus peel, clove, Belgian malts. A generally pleasing aroma of light strength.

No yeast character, alcohol, or overt hop character is noticeable.

T: Painfully simple. Artificial citrus fruit extract, an overly sweet Belgian pale malt base, and a touch of coriander. Lacks the artful balance and careful subtlety of the best witbiers. It comes off feeling like a homebrew extract imitation. I'm far from impressed. There's no intricacy or nuance whatsoever. Shallow depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. I can't say I like it.

Mf: Too coarse for a witbier. It should be light, refreshing, soft, and smooth, but it's none of those things. Wet and overcarbonated. The texture is all wrong for a witiber; far too thick and filling. Poorly executed.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or rough.

Dr: Downable but boring and bland for the style. This is the worst witbier I've had in a while. I'd caution friends against buying it and I highly doubt I'll be buying it again. Poor work from Harpoon.

C-

2.74/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Reminds me of blue moon but with added bitterness. Hazy with a white head. Looks like a witbier. Smell is heavy on the bitter orange and plenty of coriander. Flavor is Strong on the citrus flavor. Aftertaste needs to be cleaner. Otherwise ok but definitely room for improvement. A below average Belgian wit.

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

Much man-love to my friend Jay for providing me another bottle from his Harpoon winter pack. Poured into a beer mug.

A: Has an extremely cloudy, yeasty yellow body alongside a three-finger, pure white head that retains itself nicely, and has good lacing. Develops a bit of sediment in the bottom of the glass like you'd expect.

S: Kind of weak, to be honest, Not much in the way of spices and yeast, but it's noticeable, at least.

T: Pleasant but boring. Has some coriander spiciness alongside the citrus notes and a strong yeast note, but nothing really sticks out. Would make a fantastic mindless summer drink...but it's winter...and I'd rather have a stout in its stead. It is refreshing, though.

M: Like I said, it's a refreshing brew, with very strong carbonation (it's not as bad as a macrolager, but wow is it there in a big way). It is easy to drink, I must say.

O: Like I said, it's pleasant, but boring. Not horrible, but I wouldn't drink it again unless it's really hot out...and it's definitely not that right now. Completely meh.

2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

12oz bottle poured into a Southern Tier snifter. Best by 4/15/12.

Pours hazy yellow with 1.5 finger white head. Plenty of lacing left on the glass all the way down.

Sweet and spicy smells of orange, lemon and wheat.

Smooth tastes of orangey citrus, wheat and spices. Sharp sweet aftertaste.

Light body with zesty carbonation.

Wheat beer isn't my thing but this turned out to be allright. I got it in a mixed 6 pack from a well-meaning friend that knows I'm into craft beer. I'll not be buying any but if I were doing yard work or otherwise baking in the sun, I'd not turn one down. It's crisp, smooth and rather refreshing.

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a hazy light honey color with smallish white head that falls to a light skim layer. Smells of orange, wheat and sweet malt. Some spice notes as well. The taste is wheat, and sweet malt to start then a pretty big orange flavor in the middle with a zest/ bitterness. Finishes slightly dry and citrus fruity. A little artificial tasting in terms of the orange flavoring.
Mouthfeel is light body, medium carbonation. Fairly nice. Overall easy to drink though I don't love the flavor which is what beer drinking is all about to me at least.

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

This beer is crisp and clean for hot summer days in the back 40, but the mouth feel in particular leaves something to be desired. Usually with witbier, the taste is refreshing and then lingers with that dry clean finish. This had the refresh, but each sip didn't excite me to come back to the next.

2.99/5  rDev -17.2%

Best by 3/15/10

Poured into a shaped pint glass with a surprisingly fizzy head that quickly disappears completely. What the hell? I can't stand the site of a wit beer without a head so I poured it from the pint into a pilsner glass. Same result. The fizz dissipated quicker than a can of coke. I thought wheat was great for head retention. The glass is filled with streaming bubbles. The color is light gold with a very slight haze that isn't enough. Just an ugly looking beer.

The aroma has lemon and orange notes, but they don't seem very authentic. It kind of reminds me of a cleaning product. A touch of floral spice comes through, a bit like ginger. It's not bad smelling but it seems artificial and lacks any yeast character.

The taste of this beer finally brings a little bit of excitement. It has some orange along with limes and mint. It's slightly sweet with a little bit of the cleaning character coming back. There isn't much wheat character and only a slight yeast flavor. The mouthfeel brings a slight fizz, with a light and crisp finish. There isn't anything spectacular in the mouthfeel, and it fails to bring the yeasty creaminess that a great wit beer does.

I thought the mint and lime character was interesting, but not enough to carry this beer. I wouldn't pour this out, and if I bought a six I would finish it, but I don't think I'll ever get it again. I'll stick with hoegaarden next time, but to be honest I would even choose Blue Moon over this.

A) Golden yellow in color. An expected unfiltered haze. Pours with a thin head. Nice lacing.
S) Wheaty. Some citrus notes ... lemon and orange.
T) Wheaty. Some orange notes, but barely noticeable. Mild earthiness.
M) Fizzy. A bit of creaminess. Light feel - maybe from too much fizz? Some grittiness.
D) A Witbier - not much of a stand out. Average, with no wow, or intrigue.

A cloudy straw yellow in color, tones of Oranges dominate the flavor.Nice finger and a half of head after the initial pour,dwindled down to a good 1/4 inch at the last gulp.I must say this had a very flat taste despite the bottle date of 2/15/12. Perhaps a bad batch? I am willing to try it again though. Certainly not a typical white/wit bier.

Meh. This is ok, but just not for me. A little too much like a Blue Moon to me.

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Enjoyed in a Polka glass

A: pours a wheaty color with about a 2 finger head off white head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves little to no lacing.

S: strongest scent is of wheat But also getting a secondary smell of citrusy orange peel.

T: Not too much going on here. Strongest taste is wheaty, with a lemony, orange finish. Can taste some spices but nothing standing out.

M: a little too strong carbonation, but nice wheaty flavor. Light bodied beer, easy to drink but not too much flavor.

Overall, not a bad brew but not much going on here. Carbonation is a little high. Nice wheat flavor, easy to drink but no strong flavors making this white stand out.

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

12oz bottle poured into a wit glass.

Pours a cloudy pale golden color with a small white head. Nose is yeasty and lemony.

Taste is again quite lemony with the coriander and standard wit yeast. Mouthfeel is pretty creamy and thick. Quite an easy drinkin. Beer but not that tasty.

3.06/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance: Golden yellow color with just a slight haze and 1 finger of fluffy head that fades quickly to a thin cap with little lacing.

Aroma: Yeast over wheat malt, with a sweet note mixing in, almost corn-like and some hints of banana in the background.

Taste: Sweet malt initially, then a rush of carbonation washes everything out before the wheat malt shows up towards the finish with some astringency, and faint banana and clove notes as well. I also get some orange pith bitterness in the finish.

The Rest: Medium bodied but lacking in some of the more fruity characteristics that I prefer in wits, this is none the less a decent beer.

3.06/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured a massive 4" white head. Hazy lemon yellow color body. Very slight smell of citrus peel and spice. Equally light taste of the same, yet still quite watery. I'm being honest when I say this strikes me as not much more than a BMC version of this kind of beer. It might have an edge over something like Blue Moon but not much else.

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

Overall a remarkable average beer.

Have had on numerous occasions. Always pours a light straw color with a decent haze, large billowing head.

Typical yeast smells, slight tartness.

Taste is somewhat subdued, a bit watery.

Mouthfeel light and bubbly.

Overall an OK beer.

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%

Presentation: Brown 12 oz. bottle with "best by" date printed on the neck. Served in a UFO White branded weizen glass.

Appearance: Hazy, deep yellow color. Develops a good 2 fingers of head that fizzle out into a thin ring that clings to the glass.

Smell: Very subdued, coriander dominates the scent. Hints of yeast, malt and even a bit of banana in the background.

Taste: Spicy, a citrus flavor that seems to be orange peel can be tasted as well. There's also yeast in there. There's almost no bitterness which makes this an easy beer to drink. The spiciness is a bit overpowering and sticks to your palate. A better balance with the citrus qualities of the beer would do it a great favor.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and dry, with little carbonation. It leaves a sticky aftertaste.

Overall: A very easy to drink and tasty beer. Not the greatest witbier out there but one of the best that's readily available.

UFO White from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall