Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #36 - Island Creek Oyster Stout - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #36 - Island Creek Oyster StoutHarpoon 100 Barrel Series #36 - Island Creek Oyster Stout

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Stout |  5.50% ABV

The idea for the Harpoon 100 Barrel Series Island Creek Oyster Stout came after years of enjoying locally harvested oysters over freshly brewed pints of beer with our friends from Island Creek. Stouts have long been paired with oysters, though seldom brewed with them. This is our take on the age-old tradition.

Brewed by Bill Leahy using Island Creek oyster farmer Skip Bennett's revered Duxbury Bay oysters, this beer has a rich body and smooth mouthfeel derived in part from a combination of roasted barley and chocolate rye malts. The roasted malt notes blend beautifully with the briny, mineral flavors of the Island Creek oysters. An addition of hops adds some bitterness to balance the malt sweetness.

(Beer added by: TheManiacalOne on 05-16-2011)

ATXRyan, Apr 25, 2012

smchenry75, Dec 06, 2011

JTomczak, Aug 06, 2013

MNBeerNE, Nov 10, 2012

ejimhof, Dec 25, 2012

750ml bottle served into a 100 barrel series glass.Poured at fridge temp aloud to warm about 10 mins.

A. Very dark, black no light shines through,a 2 finger tan head rises.Good head retention and nice lacing. looks well carbonated.

S. I get a good amount of chocolate at first smell, then some roasted malt and some smokeyness to it. In the end I get a kind of musty smell.Oysters?

T. Alot of smokyness in here. Roasted malts come through big. A little chocolate. I do get the oysters in the back ground along with some saltiness. I also get a metalic taste like Iron or something,it is a little bitter.

M. The feel I would of liked to be better, it is pretty thin to me and very well carbonated. Leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Overall pretty interesting beer, I was thinking it was going to be a bit differant. Glad I got to try this, I waited to find it for a while.

Marty30, Sep 19, 2011

rusty3335, Feb 08, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

A - Very dark brown with a creamy mocha head that settles to a pillowy haze, leaving ring of lacing.
S - Roasty aromas of dark malt, bitter chocolate, and a touch of coffee. Not really getting any oyster aromas, this just smells like a roasty Porter to me.
T - More roasted malt and bitter chocolate with just a whisper of brine. Decent, but definitely lacking the oyster character I wanted.
M - Smooth and creamy, with a medium-full mouthfeel and lowish carbonation.
O - Underwhelming Oyster Stout, definitely wanted more.

jsanford, Apr 11, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Nearly black body with a decent tan head. A bit of light passes through. Decent lacing.

Smell - Strong coffee and chocolate aroma. Maybe a bit of licorice. Nice and aromatic.

Taste - Not as good, but not bad. Initial sweetness, but instantly a strong coffee bitterness. The bitterness lingers into an aftertaste that I swear is a bit salty, but that's probably only because it says "Oyster Stout" on the label.

Mouthfeel - Thin bodied, decent carbonation. It holds a long sustained bitterness, but not really any of the good flavors last.

Overall - Not something I'd drink again, but not a drainpour. Not complex at all. The bitterness in the finish is unappealing.

Alieniloquium, Jul 20, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep amber to black in color with a tan head. In the aroma, a small roast and hints of sweet lactose and coffee. In the taste, a dry roasted coffee, sweet lactose and a bit salty. A small bite and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry coffee in the aftertaste. A nice stout, but more coffee than expected, and almost like a milk stout.

OWSLEY069, Jul 07, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a shiffer

Appearance: Black with a thin white head about a centimeter thick that fades into a thin ring around the glass.

Aroma: Hints of chocolate and roasted malt with what can only be described as a mineral like aroma.

Taste: Not really much depth, roasted grains and chocolate, with a slight creaminess.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation, I was hoping for a little more substantial body.

Overall: It wasn’t my favorite stout but it wasn’t bad either. I didn’t really have high expectations, so I wasn’t really disappointed. It was good, just not something I would pursue again.

jamescain, Jul 25, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A- pours black with a fluffy, two finger light tan head. Head isn't very thick and doesn't stick around for awhile, very disappointing

S- lots of chocolate coming through, with a little bit of light coffee. Delightful

T- very sweet chocolate, a little bit of oyster flavor. Interesting if nothing else

M- absolutely paper thin. No body at all. Vastly disappointing

O- it is what it is, though I guess it's on me for expecting anything other then average from Harpoon

bigfnjoe, Sep 27, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 8/20/11
*From notes

A: Good color. It's rich, burnt brownie-ruby. I get a two finger head on a decent pour, and moderate yet unremarkable lacing.

S: Extremely earthy, and quite grassy. Malty, yet it features a mild crustacean funk.

T: Slightly metallic up front, then some toast and a really funky (not sour) vibe. Some toasted dirt and low tide ride from the late mid to finish.

M: Oily, though I've found that most oyster stouts tend to be. Just a bit too thin all around.

O: Harpoon's Island Creek Oyster Stout was a longtime want of mine, and I'm thrilled to finally tick this one off of my list. It's one of the better oyster stouts I've had, and would be something I'd enjoy again with a dozen, freshly shucked oysters.

Rhettroactive, Aug 25, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Served from a bomber into a standard bar pint glass.

A- Appropriate color for a stout. Dark red-black with an 1/2 of head.

S- Better smell than most stouts I have tried. Was not able to get a sense of the oyster in it from either smell or taste, but perhaps I did not know what to look for when it comes to seafood and beer. Smell was sweet with a hint of smokiness.

T- Once again slightly better than other stouts I have tried, definitely beyond the name brands in my opinion. It was sweet and savory tasting. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Didn't get a real sense of the oyster, but I may have been expecting too much coming from a seacoast town with a seafood tradition.

M- Wasn't as thick as I thought it would be, but it was by no means bad.

O- Coming from the town where Island Creek Oysters is headquartered, I was extremely excited to try this beer. It did not disappoint me. As far as stouts go its not my favorite, but I definitely enjoyed it.

pfrdaly, Nov 17, 2011

bdub32689, Oct 30, 2012

Kmlund, Oct 03, 2013

Tyrawlings, Feb 11, 2012

oline73, Feb 05, 2014

skiit13, Jul 17, 2012

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012

Grebdioz, Dec 28, 2011
Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #36 - Island Creek Oyster Stout from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall