Follow our progress ...

UFO Pumpkin | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

UFO PumpkinUFO Pumpkin

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Imagine a pumpkin vine wound its way in a field of barley, and a brewer harvested it all to make a beer. Add Northwestern hops and a blend of spices, and you've got UFO Pumpkin. The malt combination provides a smooth body and slightly sweet flavor, which balances perfectly with the earthy notes derived from the pure pumpkin. And like all of our UFO beers, UFO Pumpkin is unfiltered so all the wonderful flavors are right there in your glass. Cheers!

Added by mostpoetsdo on 07-23-2011

Reviews: 190 | Ratings: 1,048
4.97/5  rDev +37.7%

Pumpkin beets are hands down my favorite.

The UFO is unfiltered and looks fantastic. Smell is like pumpkin pie.

Taste is like a liquid pumpkin pie. It's for once not to taste raw pumpkin like other pumpkin ales. This one taste like a dessert.

Well done.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with an "Enjoy By" date of 12/15/13 stamped on the bottle neck glass. Unfiltered, pours a cloudy amber orange with a medium head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is the best pumpkin ale this year, possibly best that I've experienced. Truly just like freshly baked pumpkin pie. Essence of pumpkin, vanilla, wheat pie crust and cinnamon and nutmeg spice. Taste is mainly sweet pumpkin with nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon notes. A complex array of flavors with small hop presence to balance. The spiced finish lingers for a longtime.

Update on 9/5/13: I've had several of these this year after picking up a case and have decided this is the my favorite pumpkin ale of 2013. My guests from California agree.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

Harpoon is one of my local favorite breweries, and always puts out a wonderful product. And when they put out a seasonal offering, being local always makes for a fresh, tasty beer.

A: Bubble, bubble, no toil, no trouble. A hazy, cloudy wonderful orange color with a substantial head and lasting lacing.

S: Balanced spicy aroma, with cinnamon and pumpkin making its presence known.

T: Pumpkin and spice and everything nice! The flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and sweet malt come blasting through. A more balanced flavor than most pumpkin ales on the market.

M: A nice medium body, with wonderful carbonation. No warmth from the 5.9 at all.

D: This is the only area where you need to beware. This offering can catch up to your taste buds if you aren't ready for it. Unlike most pumpkin ales, you will feel comfortable enjoying more than the usual of these. But, the spicy flavor can be overpowering in the end if you aren't ready.

Very nice seasonal offering!

4.71/5  rDev +30.5%

probably my favorite pumpkin beer..strong notes of pumpkin
but not too much of the cinnamon flavor. Looks on the darker side of ales, smell has a pumpkin aroma..altogether a great pumpkin ale, and a new found seasonal favorite

4.65/5  rDev +28.8%

I love the fall because that means pumpkin beer. I really enjoy shipyard pumpkin and have a soft spot for harvest moon. When I tasted Harpoon's UFO Pumpkin it blew my mind. It was the first time it really tasted like liquid pumpkin pie. Although it's still well before fall it gives me that feeling every time I enjoy one. Looking forward to having it with cold weather foods!

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

UFO Pumpkin brewed by Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall, with an ABV of 5.9% This brew pours out a nice cloudy amber , also orange color. Pumpkin UFO also has a nice white head on top. I really like the color of this brew. The smell of pumpkin UFO is spices , pumpkin, grains, malts, and a hit of hops. Now for the taste, it is just like pumpkin pie. Not saying that is a bad thing. This brew you really pick up on the pumpkin and the spice. There is a lot going on in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. There is nothing overpowering about pumpkin UFO. You really can't pick up on the 5.9% ABV in this brew. Pumpkin UFO is a real smooth drinking brew. The mouth feel of Pumpkin UFO is rich, bold , and refreshing. Overall I'm giving Pumpkin UFO a 4.5 out of 5. Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall, did a nice job with this brew. I would buy this brew again.

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an orange color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of fairly long-lasting head. Very average lacing.

S: A very spicy aroma, with hints of malt and pumpkin as well.

T: Tasted of pumpkin, light malt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The spices threaten to take over the flavor, but overall it's pretty balanced.

M: A good amount of carbonation with an overly slick finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A very enjoyable, spicy pumpkin ale.

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

A - Pours a hazy orange with a thin white head that gives way to mild lacing.

S - Culinary pumpkin, mild spice. Natural.

T - Rich pumpkin. Caramel malts. Broad spectrum of hops has a strong presence towards the finish which balances out the rustic spiciness of this well-formed ale.

M - Medium-light.

O - A well-crafted pumpkin ale. Highly enjoyable.

4.41/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great taste. I enjoyed every drop and bought some to take home. Now back in Australia I can't find anything that comes close I have tried a couple of other pumpkin beers that are available here but I am struggling to find a good pumpkin and spice beer.

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

This beer is amazing on-tap and really good out of the bottle. Best pumpkin beer out there in my opinion. Prefer it over Shipyard's Pumpkinhead, Long Trail's Pumpkin Ale, Imperial Pumking, and Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale. Enjoy in a warm place on a cold night for best results. Enjoy!

4.32/5  rDev +19.7%

Smells like the empty pie tin after I ate all the pumpkin pie. Initial like an amber or dark ale middle has a moderate earthy pumpkin taste but with not a lot of spice. The end is the same subdued with a quick clean finish. No lingering taste. Good session beer do a pumpkin beer!

4.32/5  rDev +19.7%

A- pours a hazy light golden orange, medium carbonation, 2 finger head that lingers for a short time and leaves little lace
S- Pumpkin! spices- allspice, nutmeg, brown sugar, wheat, sweet malt, caramel
T- pumpkin and the proper intensity of spices- allspice, nutmeg, cloves. little brown sugar, nothing over powering. ends with pumpkin and spice after taste like pumpkin pie.
M- full body, medium carbonation, tingly,
O- balance is key to a great pumpkin ale and it is done effortlessly here.

4.27/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured into a chimay glass, this is an orange-amber beer with a small, airy, fading head. Pumpkin spices, are expected are dominant, though it's a tad light on the cinnamon and the ginger. On the other hand, there's a nice yeasty fruitiness which adds a lot. The spices come through a lot better on the taste, with a lot of cinnamon there, together with detectable nutmeg and allspice. A good amount of caramel maltiness is also present, and makes a delicious contribution. Very fruity as well.

I'm going to rate this as an excellent pumpkin beer, better, I think, than DFH's Punkin, on par with Brooklyn's excellent offering.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- You can smell the pumpkin and the hops. Has a nice smell.
Appearance- This beer is a murky orange colou with a small white head.
Taste- Great pumpkin flavor, it resembles pumpkin pie.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation.
Overall- A real good pumpkin beer, if you haven't had it, give it a try.

4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into Hop Devil Pint Glass

Appearance-Pours a very hazy burnt orange. Very nice haze. Head is about a 2 finger off white creamy head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smell-Pumkin spices, but I guess thats what makes a pumpkin beer be a pumpkin beer. Not as hoppy as others which I like.

Taste-Bready and Biscuity upfront. Followed by all the wonderful spices, very pronounced. Finish is very sweet with some lingering spices and some light bitterness. Really nice.

Mouthfeel-Highly drinkable. Light to medium bodied, nicely carbonated. Very very smooth. Nice finish.

Overall-Pleasant suprise by harpoon. I really enjoyed this one. Considering we don't get many pumpkin beers I will be re-visiting.

4.17/5  rDev +15.5%

Dark orange in color with a deep unfiltered haze. Poured with a dense off-white foam that slowly reduced to a wispy cap. Aroma is well balanced with sweet pumpkin and spice. Starts off with a thin watery feel that quickly thickens as the rich carbonation rolls through the middle. Sweet pumpkin pie like flavors that are well balanced with spicy clove throughout. Finishes with a touch of hop bitterness and spice. I'm not a huge Harpoon fan, but this one was pretty impressive.

4.17/5  rDev +15.5%

An unfiltered pumpki ale? Ok. Here goes then.

Pours a nice amber color with a bit of froth in the head. Could easily pass for an octoberfest beer.

Mmm, nutmeg and pumpkin pie come to mind. The aroma is similar to that of Shipyard Pumpkin Ale.

More nutmeg and pumpkin pie in the taste. It's very good for what it is. A bit chewy too.

Lingering pumpkin pie crust dominates the mouthfeel. Mmm. I can't ask for me.

Well, it's a pumpkin ale and it seems well done. This style is usually dominated by wanna-bes but I think Pumpkin UFO captures the essence of it well in a drinkable form.

4.14/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

I am currently unemployed with a lot of time on my hands & as such, I am a) not motivated to go out like I do when I have a job & b) trying to reduce the backlog of beer here at Chez Woody. The Bottle Backlog is annoying, but it takes a backseat to The CANQuest (tm). I am interested to see if I like it any better in the CAN than I did from a bottle.

From the CAN: "Brewed with pumpkin and a medley of spices."; "Harpoon's UnFiltered Offering"; "partly cloudy, 38 [deg.]"; "Pack it In, Pack It Out['] Please Recycle".

I rotated the CAN several times while holding it before I Crack!ed it open, figuring that it is unfiltered & thusly, cloudiness would be expected. The Crack! was really loud & so I performed an inverted Glug to produce two fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a cloudy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose was very spicy, cinnamon & nutmeg and evocative of fall & pumpkin pie. It is my favorite time of year and this made me suddenly nostalgic. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was very spicy & kind of warming on a cold winter's day. They release the pumpkin beers so early every year & I wish that they would wait. This tastes much better today than it would have in, say, August. 8=( Finish was dry, spicy and just right. Maybe I'll put some of this in my Hallowe'en cooler this year ... Oh, you didn't know? I hand out CANned beer to the adults on Hallowe'en here at Chez Woody!

My original bottle review, dtd 10 March 2013, follows:

My local, in-person reader, tone77, dropped this off for me as part of a big box o' beer and I will never say no to beer. I am curious to review it anyway as I had some when it was first released, but not for a review.

From the bottle: "Hey there, Pumpkin! You've got a real unfiltered fall treat in your hands! It's like you've tapped a specially spiced pumpkin. Without the seeds, of course."

When you openly cop to being unfiltered, that speaks only one word to me - agitation! Following a vigorous wind-up of the beer, my pour got a finger of rocky, bone-white head that fell in a most unusual web-like pattern. The nose was beautiful! It smelled like I had lit a scented candle in my kitchen. Spicy, with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice ... it just smelled like Fall. That is my favorite, albeit fleeting time of the year and this took me right back. Color was a hazy yellowish-orange. Mouthfeel was a little on the thin side, but the spices had held up nicely. They melded together well and were present without being overwhelming. Oh man, I could go for some pumpkin pie right about now. That is what it really reminded me of - a liquid slice of pumpkin pie. Not overwhelming with spice or alcohol, but just right. Hold on, some little girl with locks of gold is knocking on my door. Sorry, sweetie, this is for adults. Finish was semi-dry with the spices really helping to mellow things out.

4.14/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: Orange in color, with a fizzy, and quickly fading head.

Smell: Sweet pumpkin spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and spices. A slight touch of wheat.

Taste: Again, sweet pumpkin spices with cinnamon. Pretty much the way it should be!

Feel: A bit fizzy and high in carbonation. Kind of light bodied.

4.12/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Darker Orange and much like it's namesake, it has a very unfiltered hazy look to it. There is also some carbonation bubbles clinging to the side of the glass but not really anything else.

Smell - Pumpkin, Cinnamon, Apples, Yeasts and Malts. The aroma is both very sweet and also very warm, like I'm smelling some homemade pumpkin pie mixed in with some cinnamon spices. Dare I also call the smell...inviting?

Taste - Cinnamon, Pumpkins, Yeasts, and Barley. The flavor starts out rather weak at first, possibly due to the cold temperature. However, once it starts warming up is when the flavors really start to shine. It may not be the richest tasting pumpkin ale I've had, but it's definitely got good flavor going for it

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and fairly light on carbonation. The spices itself also give the body a decent kick as well, giving it an "edgier" sort of feel

Overall - While it's a good Pumpkin Ale, my favorite is still Tyranena Painted Pumpkin Ladies. The flavor, while good, could've been alot more vibrant even in it's colder state. Still, this is most certainly worth checking out.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

A. A hazy bronze/gold color, dull. A big foamy white head with some lacing.

S, A very nice pumpkin seed scent.

T. This is a lovely pumpkin. Has a malty taste with a heavy pumpkin undertone. This is what I look for out of a pumpkin.

M. Smooth with a mild sour.

T. A nice celery taste to it. Nice pumpkin, this is what you look for.

4.08/5  rDev +13%

This brew poured out as a nice hazy burnt orange color with a foamy cream colored head on top. The lacin in minimal but the retention is holding up fairly well so far. The smell is a little spicy, it almost smells a little sweet too. It doesn't have the biggest aroma to it but yet it does have enough to interest me. The taste for me was really quite good in my opinion. I liked the spicy kick that each sip had. The flavor were nicely balanced here. The mouthfeel was pretty good, had a medium body, good carbonation to it and remained smooth. Overall this beer to me was a really nice seasonal brew. Well worth the price and I would gladly drink it again.

4.07/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Hazy, pale orange, in the light it looks more orange but in ambient light it has an odd pale golden brown color, no head

S: Smells really good, just like fall, spices and a light bready sweetness

T: Obviously sweet because of the style, but decent spice-malt balance, not cloying though, pleasantly "fall" like, bready malt, very drinkable

M: Very unobtrusive, light body with non aggressive carb, easy to drink

O: Let me say that I do not like pumpkin ales. They are always too harsh and/or cloying and spicy for me. However, this beer really come across well to me. Less is definitely more with this style. Any amount of pumpkin spice will stand out compared to a typical beer so don't overdo it.

4.06/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Light brown brew with off-white head that recedes and leaves little lace.

Aroma is extremely fragrant cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin and brown sugar. Some cutrusy hope notes hiding in there. For the style, a great smell.

A spicy and rich brew that still has a very nice balance, not sweet and with some undelying hoppy bitterness. Quite drinkable, one of the better pumpkin brew for sure.

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a light cloudy copper, with a light ring of white foam. Smells of strong cinammon, brown sugar, and pumpkin. Taste is a light pumpkin, thin bodied, some bittering, but a relative clean finish. The flavor is there, but not weighty. Nothing overpowering, the blend works quite well.

Very good.