UFO Pumpkin - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imagine a pumpkin vine wound its way in a field of barley, and a brewer harvested it all to make a beer. Add Northwestern hops and a blend of spices, and you've got UFO Pumpkin. The malt combination provides a smooth body and slightly sweet flavor, which balances perfectly with the earthy notes derived from the pure pumpkin. And like all of our UFO beers, UFO Pumpkin is unfiltered so all the wonderful flavors are right there in your glass. Cheers!

(Beer added by: mostpoetsdo on 07-23-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Pumpkin Alström Bros

1.44/5  rDev -59.9%

1.5/5  rDev -58.2%

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

1.84/5  rDev -48.7%

2.03/5  rDev -43.5%

Harpoon's UFO Pumpkin is the first of the pumpkin beers to arrive this fall. I was really excited for it, because I'm a huge fan of the pumpkin beers like Pumking and Punkin'.

Pours a nice medium-amber color, with a slightly off-white foam. The foam is fairly thick at first, but fades pretty quickly, and leaves behind only a very small amount of lacing. For being part of their "UFO" series, it's pretty clear and not hazy at all really.

It smells exactly like pumpkin pie, if someone were sitting at the other end of the table eating pumpkin pie that is. You can definitely pickup hints of pumpkin and spice, but it's not overwhelming, definitely on the milder side.

It tastes, well, like someone on the other end of the table was eating pumpkin pie. There's definitely a touch of pumpkin, just a hint of cinnamon and spice, but that's about it. It reminds me very much of the Pumpkinhead from Shipyard, but just slightly better.

I don't find anything wrong with this beer, except that it's not impressive really. Great pumpkin beer, if you're not really a big fan of pumpkin beers. Or, if you are a big fan of pumpkin beers, and your favorite pumpkin beer is the Shipyard Pumpkinhead. Because let's face it, the Pumpkinhead smells like pumpkin, but doesn't really taste like much of a pumpkin beer.

If you're really interested in trying some real pumpkin beers, I'd recommend Southern Tier's Pumking, Dogfish Punkin' Ale, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale, and Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin. Let me know how it goes...

2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

2.23/5  rDev -37.9%

I was excited to get in the fall spirit, and try a newly released pumpkin beer. I should of had my iPhone on me but I Made snap judgement. This beer has an ok aroma. The apearance is the best part about the beer. The Taste is bland pumpkin on the finish. It was hard to detect any spices, if I did they were barely used in this beer. Over all a very, very bland pumpkin beer. My bartender summed it up by saying "it tastes like budweiser mixed with pumpkin." I wouldn't go that far, but it wasn't good. Give it a shot, all I know is this one is not for me. Harpoon is not a bad brewery, they just need to tweak the next batch perhaps.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

I remember one of my first craft beers was a UFO Hefeweizen...I guess it was part nostalgia, part ticking impulse that made me pull the trigger on this one. It pours a lightly hazy amber-straw topped by a half-finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises mild pumpkin pie, complete with crust, along with some bland wheat-like notes in the background. For once, it's unnecessary to list off the constituent spices and whatnot, 'cause here they just blend together too nicely, smelling almost too much like actual pumpkin pie for their own good. If only it were more powerful, this would smell amazing. The taste, though, makes me wish the exact opposite: The pie is still there, I suppose, but everything has gone rancid, putrefied. It's an all-out blitz on my tongue, finishing with a long-malingering sting of straight clove and black pepper. Imagine just chewing on those two spices in their raw forms. Yeah. This was awful, to say the least. Not only does it hurt as I drink it, but more pain follows while I'm trying to wrap my head around the maw that opened up between my perception of the smell and the taste. Damn. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a lightly watery, lightly grainy feel. Overall, this has got to be one of the worst pumpkin beers I have ever had. It's still got a couple months on its 12/13/12 best-by date, but it seems like it's already starting to decay in the bottle. Shit, at this point I'd rather gnaw on a human bone dusted with cinnamon than take another sip o' this monstrosity.

UFO Pumpkin from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall