UFO Pumpkin - Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: mostpoetsdo on 07-23-2011

Imagine a pumpkin vine wound its way in a field of barley, and a brewer harvested it all to make a beer. Add Northwestern hops and a blend of spices, and you've got UFO Pumpkin. The malt combination provides a smooth body and slightly sweet flavor, which balances perfectly with the earthy notes derived from the pure pumpkin. And like all of our UFO beers, UFO Pumpkin is unfiltered so all the wonderful flavors are right there in your glass. Cheers!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UFO Pumpkin Alström Bros
Ratings: 955 | Reviews: 185
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

After trying two or three different pumpkin beers (Sam Adams Harvest and Two Roads Roadsmarys Baby among them) I settled on this as my favorite. Mainly because I'm not big on having a huge clove, nutmeg, allspice, nose & taste.

I feel the aforementioned spices go a very long way with a very meger amount. I often feel like I'm drinking allspice with ale, with no trace of pumpkin, well, the UFO strikes a nice balance in my opinion of having the same spices, but it is much more subtle, also the the taste is very 'pumpkiny'.

The mouthfeel is creamy, pumpkin pie. I'm surprised the reviews saying no pumpkin taste, I disagree, and also now wonder if the UFO can, is somehow that much better than the bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: nice orange - amber color to it. Thins at the outside and gets lighter. Head at the edges of the glass and some lasting bubbles on the surface. This so far is a good looking pumpkin ale.

Smell: a great mixture of spices and pumpkins all blended together. Smells great and exactly what i'd expect from a pumpkin ale.

Taste: First thing i thought: spicy asian dish. Right off the bat the spices hit you, and then the dissipate rather quickly w/ an alcoholic aftertaste. Almost no pumpkin taste to it. A bit disappointing.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, but i can still feel it. This beer isn't thick, nor is it heavy. A happy medium. This has sluggability.

Overall: A hometown beer for me, and it lets me down. I have had UFO pumpkin before, and i didn't remember it being this low quality. Great appearance and smell, but the taste just brings it down. The mouthfeel would be great, except the taste brings it down.

4.41/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great taste. I enjoyed every drop and bought some to take home. Now back in Australia I can't find anything that comes close I have tried a couple of other pumpkin beers that are available here but I am struggling to find a good pumpkin and spice beer.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Got a 6 pack of this for $6 so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume it was last year's batch.

Appearance- Cloudy brown/orange with a huge white head that leaves lacing.

Smells- Pumpkin and spices

Taste- Stronger pumpkin sweetness than I was expecting. Pretty much unfettered pumpkin pie flavor. My friends thought it was too sweet but I thought it was very nice. It was one note, but it was a good note.

Mouthfeel-MEdium body and carbonated slightly.

OVerall- Pleasant surprise. I'm pretty sure that it was an expired batch and it was still good so needless to say I will buy some of this years batch. Worth a try.

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

A - Poured EXTREMELY aggressively by an inexperienced bartender, massive head that disappated very quickly, glass covered in beer, blah blah blah. Regardless, the beer was a good deep orange color with some carbonation and lacing.

S - The smell is pumpkin and fall spices through and through. Magnificent cornucopia of scents. Rich earthy hoppiness, some spices (allspice, nutmeg, cloves) and of course, some warm inviting pumpkin.

T - Don't know what happened. It tastes nothing like it smells. It tastes like a plain beer, maybe a lighter wheat beer, without a single trace of pumpkin. I can smell it still, but I can't taste it all.

M - Sticky, but not too much. Some weight to it.

O - Overall, if it tasted how it smelled, I'd be much happier, but it didn't, so of course, I'm not very happy. However, Harpoon does have a history of making good beer, so I can't be all that upset I guess. One bad beer doesn't make a brewing company bad, it might just have been a bad batch. But, I think I'll stick to the darker, stronger pumpkin beers from the likes of Southern Tier, Weyerbacher, and Dogfish Head.

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a nice golden brown color with a creamy 1 finger width head. Does not retain well and turns very carbonated.

S-Nose is pretty bland. I'm getting faint notes of some sweet spiced pumpkin, cinnamon, and some nutmeg. Nothing is very pronounced and the pumpkin is barely noticeable.

T-Not too bad here. Spices are not overwhelming and the pumpkin makes a fairly nice presence at the finish. A bit like club soda at the front of the palate, but that flashes quickly and fades into the pleasant balance between spice and pumpkin.

MF-Overcarbonated, watery with a dry finish.

O-Not a bad pumpkin ale. I was afraid it would taste too much like soda because Harpoon doesn't usually make great beers, but this one is pretty good. The flavors aren't too pronounced, but the taste achieves a nice balance between spice and pumpkin. Pretty well done.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Followed the instructions on the bottle to pour half and swirl up that yeast in the bottom. The smell was nutmeg and spicy. Poured dark and with a 1" head. The mouthfeel was good although I didn't get too much of the pumpkin which I have been realizing the majority of the pumpkin brews are just beers that have a heavy spice and not too much pumpkin in them. Not one of my favorites but better than the bluemoon and harvest pumpkin.

4.14/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

My local, in-person reader, tone77, dropped this off for me as part of a big box o' beer and I will never say no to beer. I am curious to review it anyway as I had some when it was first released, but not for a review.

From the bottle: "Hey there, Pumpkin! You've got a real unfiltered fall treat in your hands! It's like you've tapped a specially spiced pumpkin. Without the seeds, of course."

When you openly cop to being unfiltered, that speaks only one word to me - agitation! Following a vigorous wind-up of the beer, my pour got a finger of rocky, bone-white head that fell in a most unusual web-like pattern. The nose was beautiful! It smelled like I had lit a scented candle in my kitchen. Spicy, with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice ... it just smelled like Fall. That is my favorite, albeit fleeting time of the year and this took me right back. Color was a hazy yellowish-orange. Mouthfeel was a little on the thin side, but the spices had held up nicely. They melded together well and were present without being overwhelming. Oh man, I could go for some pumpkin pie right about now. That is what it really reminded me of - a liquid slice of pumpkin pie. Not overwhelming with spice or alcohol, but just right. Hold on, some little girl with locks of gold is knocking on my door. Sorry, sweetie, this is for adults. Finish was semi-dry with the spices really helping to mellow things out.

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice cloudy amber color with slight head of foam which goes away rapidly.

S: Aroma is of cinnamon and nutmeg with a light pumpkin pie smell not an obvious pumpkin beer. Just by look and smell one might get a winter warmer feel to this beer. Smell actually reminds me of the way Samuel Adams White Christmas tastes.

T: Taste is overall a spiced beer with loads of cinnamon,clove,nutmeg... all the things I love in these fall beers.

M: Mouthfeel is a medium bodied beer with a pleasant Carbonation level.

O: Overall a great seasonal selection with a great sampler pack of 3 others if you can find it like this in your area. Great price ,I believe I had paid about 32 dollars.

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is orange with golden highlights. There is some suspended yeast in it. It is capped by a couple inches of off-white/beige head.

S - I get the typical nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, etc.

T - I get the spices in the flavor as well.

M - Thin to Moderate

O - I kind of forgot about this one in the refrigerator. The smell held up really well. The taste may have faded. It's a decent. I used to love this style, but Pumking ruined most of them for me.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Comes out of the tap a hazy honey golden with a fairly thick pale golden fine-bubbled head. Aroma has malty and fruity notes plus hints of cinnamon and pumpkin. Malty flavor has hoppy and cinnamon notes, as well as a good amount of pumpkin taste. Unlike many other pumpkin ales I have tried, the pumpkin flavor does not dominate the others, which is a plus. Smooth texture has good body and a decent amount of fizz. Save it for fall - or enjoy it now.

3.27/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours hazy, rustic orange with a scant, off-white head and no real lacing in a tulip glass.

Nice, sweet pumpkin aroma with less spice than most that warms more akin to sweet potato pie.

Sweet and sharp up front with pumpkin flavors discernible. However, bitterness is at odds with acidity and a long astringent finish. This significantly detracts from the enjoyment.

Medium body with no discernible alcohol. Carbonation is fizzy and there is a sharp astringency.

This is a middle-of-the-road pumpkin ale, worthy of those who enjoy this style.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I poured this into a perfect pint glass, it has a nice murkey orange color body with a very little head that dissapears quickly leaving no lace behing. The smell is aromactic of spices, mainly cinnamon that i can smell. The taste starts off a little spicy with the cinnamon and spices, as it warms up a little bit the pumpkin comes into play and on the finish a nice little hop bite comes into play also. The mouth feel is really nice and overall this is a really good pumpkin beer.

2.71/5  rDev -24.5%

Cloudy, light-copper colored beer with a thin, fizzy head that melts to nothing almost instantly. Flakes of yeast fall to the bottom of the glass.

A unusual, pungent, funky aroma hits the nose first. Followed by malty sweetness and some spice.

The funkiness is carried on to the flavor. It's a little off-putting. Not my favorite thing to taste in a pumpkin ale. Then comes a malty sweetness, followed by spice in the finish.

A medium bodied beer, with a creamy mouthfeel. An everlasting, dry finish.

Pretty much what I expected from this beer. A below average pumpkin ale.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

From: Binny's, Schaumburg, IL
Date: Best by 12/15/2012
Glass: Standard US pint glass

Pours a 1.5cm head of slightly off-white bubbles, small and dense in stature. Retention is quite poor, lasting a brief moment, and leaving no residual lacing. Body is a bright golden orange color, opaque with suspended yeast. Light brings out pale orange-yellow hues, with slightly visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is pleasant, noticeable, but still mellow. Features some cinnamon, graham cracker crust, cooked cereal grains, and apple cider.

Taste is a little . Opens with sweet malts, a bit of cinnamon red-hot and modest pumpkin pie-like flavors. Mid-palate features more cinnamon, slight clove, reduced malt and graham cracker sweetness, and is combined with slightly bitter, faintly green and herbal hops. Back of palate picks up increased bitterness with sweet malts reminiscent of apple cider. Lingering aftertaste of cinnamon and pumpkin pie mix with modest sweetness and nearly no hop presence.

Beer is medium-light in body, with medium-low levels of carbonation. Resulting mouthfeel is smooth, if not a bit stagnant in movement. Does not close out dry, but has moderate stickiness around the lips.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a hazy golden apricot color with a one inch cream head that dissipates moderately, leaving sheets of lacing.

Cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and pumpkin form the aroma, along with sweet malt and hints of floral hops.

Flavor is very cola-like, with ginger and clove dominating, and a bit of fruitiness emerging. It then becomes more pumpkiny, with a cinnamon finish. Bready, earthy malt surfaces late.

Body is moderate, with fairly high carbonation and slight alcohol warmth.

Overall, the cola and fruity flavor is offputting. Definitely more dominated by spices than pumpkin. There are many better examples

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

This beer is amazing on-tap and really good out of the bottle. Best pumpkin beer out there in my opinion. Prefer it over Shipyard's Pumpkinhead, Long Trail's Pumpkin Ale, Imperial Pumking, and Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale. Enjoy in a warm place on a cold night for best results. Enjoy!

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

UFO Pumpkin has an absolutely splendid label - to be sure, there are a ton of great pumpkin ale labels - but it's also a good-looking beer in its own right. The bright orange colour is what's expected of the style and Harpoon clearly makes good on their claim of leaving the beer unfiltered; it's about as clear as the plot of a David Lynch movie. In the theme of Halloween, head retention has been murdered!

When the brewery asks us to "imagine (that) a pumpkin vine wound its way in a field of barley, and a brewer harvested it all to make a beer" they couldn't be more right, about the ratio that is. One single pumpkin vine to an entire field of barley. The first thing to hit the nose is a soft, dough-y maltiness and notes of cereal grain; vegetal pumpkin not so much (which isn't really the worst thing in the world).

The 'Northwestern hops' that Harpoon boasts about on the label are likely what account for two of the beer's most prominent features: its strong earthiness and its curious, distinct mintiness. The spicing in most pumpkin ales typically takes the predictable form of cinnamon or clove, but this example smacks of lemony mint. The flavour is more like pumpkin candy than actual pumpkin.

I'm not sure if Harpoon formulates their pumpkin recipe from scratch, or whether they add the pumpkin and spices to an existing beer. I kind of suspect the latter. Pumpkin pie recipes tend to translate pretty well into liquid form - pumpkin and cinnamon and clove tend not to change their stripes, whether baked or boiled and fermented - and this is unusually light on the palate. It's almost too casually quenching.

In fact, a trace of squash and a dash of cinnamon aside, the similarity to UFO White (or other commercial white beers) is suspicious. Spices notwithstanding, the beer has a notably zippy, orange-y, sweet, cracker-y wheat profile that is undeniably reminiscent of witbier. The departure from the heavily perfumed, spicy pumpkin ale to this breezier incarnation works for me but, to be clear, it's far from the epitome of the style.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle beer out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a very cloudy-hazy copper-orange 1-finger white head that ends in a solid lace with no trail.

S: Pumpkin, all-spice, ginger, cinnamon aromas.

T: Similar to the smell; pumpkin, all-spice, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Interesting unfiltered pumpkin beer – worthy of a try.

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty nice looking beer. Good head and decent retention. A hazy amber orange. Not much lace though. Nose is the best part for me. Smells like pie. Nice blend of spices and graham tinged crust. Pumpkin aromas are sweet and well balanced with the pale malt. Cinnamon is the front player as I inhale and the nutmeg leads back to the base aromas. Very nice. Taste is a big letdown. As good as the nose is the palate is not. Spices are a bit too forward of the malt and pumpkin. The hops are well done and there are some nice buttery notes as well but overall the beer is a bit disjointed with no connecting flow to the taste. To add the final blow there is a mineral edge in the finish that gives a platform for the spices to explode in a cascade of excessive bitterness. Cinnamon, clove, and pepper. It is better as it warms. but this is just not making it for me. Feel is light and crisp with a good carbonation. Very close to a solid brew but the details are taking this one down in my book. Maybe too much was put into the aroma at the sacrifice of taste.

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%

I review this beer a year ago, so I am doing it again with this years batch and see if my opinion changes.

A: Pours a dark, hazy orange color, with a very thin bright white head that fades fast leaving a thin film on top

S: Aroma consists of actual pumpkin, along with some spice, wheat and hops. Not real strong, but its enough to notice.

T: Flavor starts off much like the smell, you get actual pumpkin which is followed by wheat, hops, and some spice. Very tasty beer!

M: Lots of pumpkin flavor, slight carbonation and pleasantly sweet. Very drinkable!

O: Now that I have reviewed this for the second time, my review is much higher than previously stated. There are a lot of artificial pumpkin beers out there, this is NOT one of those beers. One of the best out there!

2.84/5  rDev -20.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of youbrewidrink, thanks man! Hazy orange appearance, cloudy really which is no surprise given that it is unfiltered. Smells of spice and spice and more spice. Flavor is the same, more spice than pumpkin and really nothing that wowed me. Overall, I am not a fan of pumpkin beers to start and this is one of the lesser ones I have tasted.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

A- pours a hazy amber-orange with a small fizzy white head and good head retention, very fall-like.

S- spicy, smells like fresh sassafras root, a bit of cinnamon, vanilla, and some raw pumpkin.

T- sweet and malty, notes of nutmeg and raw pumpkin. Finishes slightly bitter with a bit if an apple cider taste, the unfiltered gives it a bit of an earthy feel.

M- medium body, low carbonation, super creamy finish

O- Pretty good! The unfiltered makes it a bit different than most pumpkin ales. Worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Found on tap at the Tuscan Kitchen in Salemn, NH this seasonal brew looks clear and golden copper colored with a healthy white head and great lacing. The aroma offers a classic, tasteful blend of wheat and pumpkin with a touch of sweet grass hop. The flavor is a very solid combination of slightly sweet pumpkin grass and tangy wheat with spice/cinnamon nuances. This is a nicely drinkable pumpkin brew with medium-light body and a clean, moderately carbonated, tingly feel. Not bad at all, would gladly revisit.

3.29/5  rDev -8.4%

A - A slight, less than a finger's worth of, crisp off white colored head that displays minimal retention that yields nothing more than a small splotch of lacing and a thin collar... The color is a light to medium orange that displays a certain vibrancy... Some light straw undertones are noticeable when back lit... A limited bit of slightly sluggish carbonation...

S - A very nice balance of sweet pumpkin and autumnal spices... A freshly opened can of pumpkin filling... A light bit of spicing featuring nutmeg with just a touch of cinnamon and clove... Some bready crust like malts lie beneath the surface... Perhaps even some roasted pumpkin seeds...

T - The pumpkin sweetness is surprisingly absent on the palate... Lots of bread and wheat notes... The autumnal spices are present but very muted... Roasted pumpkin seeds...

M -Light to medium bodied... Light prickly carbonation... The finish is a bit gritty and a bit chalky...

D - An average at best Pumpkin Ale... Unfortunately this is neither one I can recommend nor seek out again given the wealth and variety of season offerings available... A very promising aroma is the highlight and is accompanied by sheer mediocrity in all other facets... Not really what I'm looking for in a Pumpkin Ale...

UFO Pumpkin from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall